The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

+42
DaveVDK
oxring
Nico the gman
ReallyReal
djlovesyou
Gerflagenflople
Steffan
TopHat24/7
Mind the windows Tino.
BoxingFan88
Super D Boon
AlexHuckerby
kevchadders
d260005p
88Chris05
Knowsit17
KingMonkey
HumanWindmill
Guest82
two_tone
Imperial Ghosty
easthfc
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Galveston Giant
Fernando
tommyhearnsprodigalson
Boxtthis
azania
J.Benson II
Sugar Floyd Louis
hogey
coxy0001
talkingpickle
Adam D
trottb
joeyjojo618
Rowley
fearlessBamber
paperbag_puncher
manos de piedra
Il Gialloblu
Waingro
46 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Should the decision in the Khan against Peterson fight be oveturned??

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Vote_lcap87%Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 53 ]
Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 61

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Empty Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

Post by Waingro Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:08 am

First topic message reminder :

This is what Khan has to say:

"It was like I was against two people in there - the referee and Lamont himself,"

"All I want is a fair fight. This is what Amir Khan is all about. This is the character I am. I like to have a good tear up and put in good performances."

"I knew it would be tough against him in his home town and this is why boxing has not been in Washington DC for 20 years - because you get a decision like that." "A robbery".

"I was the cleaner fighter".

"We have appealed. In the next seven to ten days we should find out and it should be overturned."

"I was treated unfairly during the fight. Lamont Peterson's coach even said to me that he knows how it feels to be robbed."

"The referee was from Washington so he was always going to favour the home fighter. He walks the streets of DC so if he was fair and took points off Peterson he'd be hated in Washington. "

"My titles were snatched off me unfairly. I don't think he'll be refereeing a big fight again."

"I want a rematch in a neutral place with a neutral referee and neutral judges. Not Washington or the UK, somewhere like Las Vegas would be fine."

What do people think should the decision be overturned like in the Hopkins and Dawson fight?

Imo if the fight is overturned there is no point for Khan to fight Peterson again why would he need a rematch he already beat him? I think he should fight Brook after this would be a great fight back in the UK Khan needs to forget about Mayweather who would school him I think Bradley would beat him too. Brook is quality and would beat Khan it is a fight I would love to see.

It would be good for British boxing if this result was overturned we would have another world champ it would also send out a message that robberies will not be tolerated and must be stamped out I just wish Murray, Macklin and Chisora had also appealed and got their results overturned we could have even more world champions. I think it is good that Khan is apealing hopefully it will be overturned and this will send a message to the judges in the Ward and Froch fight to be fair. Look at what to Lewis against Holyfield aswell that was another robbery which should have been overturned. Will we see less robberies now that fighters can appeal and get decisions overturned? I hope so because it is ruining the sport lets hope Khans appeal will be a success and he can get his titles back and get on with his career and hopefully fight Brook or maybe Bradley!

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

I agree with Khan on this, the refereeing was a joke and needs to be investigated, there is such a wide variance of how fights are officiated that it needs to be looked into.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

Post by two_tone Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:37 am

There is a rea arrogance about Khan as pointed out earlier he seems to think he is owed something when he shown no interest in rematching others who have had a close or dubious decision go against them. Something about his father I really dont like either, as pointed out earlier by someone I have tried to like Khan but after this he has lost yet another fan.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

Bit of a ropey post, hanging this morning!

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I agree with Khan on this, the refereeing was a joke and needs to be investigated, there is such a wide variance of how fights are officiated that it needs to be looked into.

I think it depends a lot on what your team say to the ref at the start.

When Mayweather was fighting Ortiz, Ortiz's camp were complaining to Joe Cortez in the changing room before the fight about watching for Floyd holding and his use of his elbows. It was televised when they were saying this to him.

I think Peterson's team might have put it into the ref's head that Khan pushes or holds when up close as he has done it in the past. And as soon as Khan started doing it, the ref noticed it straight away because he was probably waiting to see if it happened.

To me it was inexperience from the ref and I feel that Khan will use the same tactics when or if he fights Bradley in regards to his big bumper head.

If it was mentioned in Khan's dressing room about Peterson using the head it may have been picked up more, but the fact the ref was probably informed that Khan has used tricks like this in the past then would have made the ref take it more serious.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 2 Empty Amir Khan hopeful of overturning Lamont Peterson decision

Post by Guest82 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:57 am

Anyone else think he should just accept his defeat like a man and get on with it?

Amir Khan believes he has a chance of having his defeat by Lamont Peterson overturned on appeal.

The 25-year-old lost his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles on Saturday night as Peterson won a narrow points decision in Washington D.C.

Khan crucially had two points deducted by referee Joseph Cooper for pushing and insists the decision was unfair.

He said: "We have appealed. In the next seven to 10 days we should find out and it could be overturned."

Khan had Peterson on the canvas twice in the opening round - although only one was counted - and his two-point penalty proved costly after judges scored the fight at 113-112, 113-112, 110-115 in favour of the local fighter.

The Bolton-born fighter is adamant that he won the fight and will fight Peterson again next year regardless of the outcome of the appeal.

Although it is rare to have decisions overturned, WBC light-heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins has been successful in having October's fight against Chad Dawson changed from a loss to a technical draw.

Khan said: "I was treated unfairly during the fight. Lamont Peterson's coach even said to me that he knows how it feels to be robbed.

"The referee was from Washington so he was always going to favour the home fighter. He walks the streets of DC so if he was fair and took points off Peterson he'd be hated in Washington.

"My titles were snatched off me unfairly. I don't think he'll be refereeing a big fight again.

"I want a rematch in a neutral place with a neutral referee and neutral judges. Not Washington or the UK, somewhere like Las Vegas would be fine."

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:57 am

Waingro wrote:Imo Khan won this fight so i think he deserves to be champ why not appeal and try to get his belts back if he thinks he won the fight many agree with him?

It was a close fight and, if Khan is anywhere near as good as he thinks he is, it shouldn't have been. Best way for Khan to get his titles back is to get in the ring with the man again and do what he should have done first time out.

Squabbling over miniscule differences on a scorecard doesn't convince. Winning a fight, clearly and without room for argument, does.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

The fact remains that yes, the ref effectively decided the fight with some unusual point deductions BUT it's not as though he didn't warn Khan. He had plenty of time to stop doing what he was doing but he didn't.

I said on the Sunday that I rarely pay much attention to a fighter immediately after a fight, he's been punched in the head enough times to say anything!! BUt it's when the dust settles that matters. Amir is letting himself down massively but I'm certain he's being influenced by those around him again.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Waingro wrote:Imo Khan won this fight so i think he deserves to be champ why not appeal and try to get his belts back if he thinks he won the fight many agree with him?

It was a close fight and, if Khan is anywhere near as good as he thinks he is, it shouldn't have been. Best way for Khan to get his titles back is to get in the ring with the man again and do what he should have done first time out.

Squabbling over miniscule differences on a scorecard doesn't convince. Winning a fight, clearly and without room for argument, does.

And also Windy, I think its disgusting on how they are treating Peterson.

As time goes on and the more Team Khan come out with this garbage, Lamont could well end up being known as a fighter who robbed Khan of his titles. When it was anything but a robbery. The guy fought his heart out to win the titles off a fighter who before the fight was being put on a petistool along with the likes of Mayweather etc.

I think the fact Team Khan are showing a complete disrespect to him speaks volumes of who he thinks he is.

Peterson trained and earned the chance to fight for the belts, put in the performance of his career and Khan is practically saying he didn't put up much of a match and used the judges in his hometown to steal the win.

Its appaulling.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

Peterson's silence so far is pretty dignified. I didn't know too much about him prior to this fight but I'm a fan now.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

As time goes on and the more Team Khan come out with this garbage, Lamont could well end up being known as a fighter who robbed Khan of his titles. When it was anything but a robbery. The guy fought his heart out to win the titles off a fighter who before the fight was being put on a petistool along with the likes of Mayweather etc.

I think the fact Team Khan are showing a complete disrespect to him speaks volumes of who he thinks he is.

Peterson trained and earned the chance to fight for the belts, put in the performance of his career and Khan is practically saying he didn't put up much of a match and used the judges in his hometown to steal the win.

Its appaulling.

Sorry RDM

Khan has been very respectful to Peterson. He was full of praise for him this morning. Credited him for fighting a good fight etc. His issue is with the ref and the score cards.

Give the kid a break.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm

Completely agree, Dee.

Team Khan are blaming Peterson and the referee for their own shortcomings.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Its appaulling.

Sorry RDM

Khan has been very respectful to Peterson. He was full of praise for him this morning. Credited him for fighting a good fight etc. His issue is with the ref and the score cards.

Give the kid a break.

While this is true, it's a hard slap in the face for Peterson because Khan is saying he was robbed, he wasn't, he's like a spoiled little brat.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:23 pm

Got to agree you only have to look at the Tyson Douglas fight to see how rumours of fixes and such things can gain traction with the "long count" in that which was little more than bitterness and BS from King, as Douglas did in Japan Lamont fought out of his skin in this one and should not be subjected to this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:28 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Its appaulling.

Sorry RDM

Give the kid a break.

He must have rewatched the fight mate.

And if he did he would realise it was extremley tight. Yes the referee was in the way and when watching again he might even take a tally of how many times he was told to let go of Peterson's head and to stop pushing. In the first 2 rounds this must have been said about 6 times.

And as he thinks he was robbed he must think that he won most of the fight when this isnt true. That to me is a slap on the face to Peterson on how he fought. I had it 114-113 for Khan and again I had 3 even rounds. The judges practically had the same scores bar a couple of the even rounds they gave to Peterson which I have no problem with. Khan hasn't praised Peterson or said the fight was close so Im stumped as to how you think he has been respectful. He is implying that Peterson wouldn't have won had they fought elsewhere. This is outragous when the fight was so close. Khan could have won and Peterson could have won. Peterson did win so Khan needs to stop being a baby and involving appeal panels and just get on with it.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm

An appeal made more out of emotion than genuinely believing he won that fight. Most successful appeals stem from fights that were unfairly stopped ie Hopkins v Dawson, whereas this went the distance and Khan really made his own bed on the scorecards.

Khan needs to buck up, drag his head out of his backside and learn from this rather give way to a tantrum. What image he made of himself since the Prescott fight he has now tainted badly.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:06 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:An appeal made more out of emotion than genuinely believing he won that fight. Most successful appeals stem from fights that were unfairly stopped ie Hopkins v Dawson, whereas this went the distance and Khan really made his own bed on the scorecards.

Khan needs to buck up, drag his head out of his backside and learn from this rather give way to a tantrum. What image he made of himself since the Prescott fight he has now tainted badly.

We dont know that. The appeal if based on the scorecard issue is perfectly legit.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Its appaulling.

Sorry RDM

Give the kid a break.

While this is true, it's a hard slap in the face for Peterson because Khan is saying he was robbed, he wasn't, he's like a spoiled little brat.

Oh come on. If he believes he won the fight, why shouldn't he say so. He wont be the first or last either. Ali said he thought he won the first Frazier fight. Hatton still believed Cortez cost him the fight against Mayweather. Just because its Khan many are criticising him and giving others a free pass.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:11 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

Completely agree, Dee.

I dont think he's blamed Peterson. He said he butted, but also praised him for the fight he fought. A lot of this is emotion from you guys here.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

I don't see how you could argue in Khan's favour unless you think the ref was in the wrong docking the points. If Khan has a problem with how close the cards were he and his camp ought to have just worked harder before and during the fight.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Its appaulling.

Sorry RDM

Give the kid a break.

He must have rewatched the fight mate.

And if he did he would realise it was extremley tight. Yes the referee was in the way and when watching again he might even take a tally of how many times he was told to let go of Peterson's head and to stop pushing. In the first 2 rounds this must have been said about 6 times.

And as he thinks he was robbed he must think that he won most of the fight when this isnt true. That to me is a slap on the face to Peterson on how he fought. I had it 114-113 for Khan and again I had 3 even rounds. The judges practically had the same scores bar a couple of the even rounds they gave to Peterson which I have no problem with. Khan hasn't praised Peterson or said the fight was close so Im stumped as to how you think he has been respectful. He is implying that Peterson wouldn't have won had they fought elsewhere. This is outragous when the fight was so close. Khan could have won and Peterson could have won. Peterson did win so Khan needs to stop being a baby and involving appeal panels and just get on with it.

It was a close fight and I scored it to Khan even with the deductions. But by him maintaining that he believed he won is not being disrespectful to Peterson. All boxers say they won in a close fight. No one criticised Hopkins for still mainaining that he was robber against Calzaghe and Taylor. No one says he is being disrepectful to them.

But when Khan does exactly what all other boxers throughout the history of boxing do, its somehow the boxing crime of the century.

Some perspective is seriously needed.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:16 pm

Ring and Yahoo both say that it is unheard of for a boxer to be deducted 1 point let alone 2 points for pushing. They said that if that was the case more points would be deducted from all boxers as all boxers push their opponents away.

Also I wonder how many fights Ali would have won or how many points deducted because he held, pushed and held some more whenever an opponent came close to him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Completely agree, Dee.

I dont think he's blamed Peterson. He said he butted, but also praised him for the fight he fought. A lot of this is emotion from you guys here.

Thank you for your diagnosis, Dr. Freud.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

No problem with Khan saying he thinks he won a close fight - in fact, I agree seeing as I had it 113-112 for him even after the deductions.

But that doesn't excuse him spouting bile such as 'this is why there hasn't been a title fight in DC for twenty years', or launching an absolutely pathetic appeal when, quite frankly, he has nothing to appeal against.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

Azania, whilst it is true points are rarely deducted for pushing does not mean the referee in this instance was incorrect to do so because irrespective of the prevalence of it, it is still against the rules and the ref is well within his rights to call a fighter on this and take action if he feels the abuse is frequent or severe enough to warrant it or his warnings are not being heeded.

Since I know how much you love your history Az is akin to the Dempsey Tunney rematch, the neutral corner rule was in place and had been for some time but was rarely enforced, the ref enforced it in that fight and he was well within the rules and his rights to do so, same in this one for me, pushing is not allowed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

88Chris05 wrote:No problem with Khan saying he thinks he won a close fight - in fact, I agree seeing as I had it 113-112 for him even after the deductions.

But that doesn't excuse him spouting bile such as 'this is why there hasn't been a title fight in DC for twenty years', or launching an absolutely pathetic appeal when, quite frankly, he has nothing to appeal against.

He has ground given the anomily in the scorecards.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:28 pm

88Chris05 wrote:No problem with Khan saying he thinks he won a close fight - in fact, I agree seeing as I had it 113-112 for him even after the deductions.

Hits the nail on the head for me. Even without the deductions (or the knockdowns that you could argue weren't) it was still a very close fight. Plenty of boxers, in the heat of the moment, claim to have won a hard fought battle but none go on about it like this with pathetic appeals and attacks on Washington itself when before the fight it was "I love Washington and Washington loves me" type of nonsense. The egos from Khan going into the fight with future fights more in mind and to agree to have a referee from Washington and judges from America when you hold all of the cards in negotiations is arrogance and the whole team paid the price for that. To now sulk and moan about that when they could of dictated otherwise is poor sportsmanship and babyish.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:30 pm

azania wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:
azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Its appaulling.

Sorry RDM

Give the kid a break.

Oh come on. If he believes he won the fight, why shouldn't he say so. He wont be the first or last either. Ali said he thought he won the first Frazier fight. Hatton still believed Cortez cost him the fight against Mayweather. Just because its Khan many are criticising him and giving others a free pass.

But there is ways of going about it. He's not getting any support from british fighters about it because he has alienated himself with his arrogance. He's could easily have brought up the Chisora fight as an example which was a robbery, but he only thinks about himself, he probably doesn't even know about it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

rowley wrote:Azania, whilst it is true points are rarely deducted for pushing does not mean the referee in this instance was incorrect to do so because irrespective of the prevalence of it, it is still against the rules and the ref is well within his rights to call a fighter on this and take action if he feels the abuse is frequent or severe enough to warrant it or his warnings are not being heeded.

Since I know how much you love your history Az is akin to the Dempsey Tunney rematch, the neutral corner rule was in place and had been for some time but was rarely enforced, the ref enforced it in that fight and he was well within the rules and his rights to do so, same in this one for me, pushing is not allowed.

Yes the ref was within the rules. A rule that is rarely applied but he was spot on it he thought Khan was pushing too much. But as Hatton said, this isn't tiddly winks.

But the appeal isn't solely on that buy also the score card.

If he wins the appeal I can imagine the vitriol aimed at Khan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

azania wrote:

What 'anomaly'? The fact that some judges score close rounds differently? Give it a rest Azania. This appeal is foul and will, quite rightly, come to nothing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:36 pm

Az as I have alluded to earlier if Khan had anything even approaching an inside game or tactical nous he would not have to resort to shoving to keep an aggressive fighter off him, for me this would be a far better focus for his energies than some spurious and unwarranted appeal.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

I am a huge Khan fan and have been to a few of his fights in Manchester (Barrera/Mcloskey). I had Khan down to win this UD over in the US by putting on a good show and impressing before moving up to 147 or even fighting a Bradley. However, i think he over looked Lamont. Lamont realized after a few rounds that Khan can not handle intense pressure. Khan deserved the point deductions, i dont agree with 2 points, but defo should have got the first mid way through the fight. Lamont fought his heart out and Khan simply didnt. It sucked watching him lose dont get me wrong, but sometimes there is nothing to say but that he was simply not good enough on the night. Props to Peterson, back to the drawing board for Khan.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

Horses for courses with the ref you get for a fight.

Watching a rerun of Ali vs Frazier 1971 on ESPN last night and Ali was constantly pushing Frazier away to make room.

As many have pointed out, Khan should have known better when the final warning was given mid way.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
azania wrote:

What 'anomaly'? The fact that some judges score close rounds differently? Give it a rest Azania. This appeal is foul and will, quite rightly, come to nothing.

R7 I believe. The score of 10 points for Khan was changed to 8 points. Taking into account the point deduction, it should be 9 points.

Personally I dont like any appeal against decisions. Suck it up and move on. But if there was an error, then why not appeal the decision?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

azania wrote:
rowley wrote:Azania, whilst it is true points are rarely deducted for pushing does not mean the referee in this instance was incorrect to do so because irrespective of the prevalence of it, it is still against the rules and the ref is well within his rights to call a fighter on this and take action if he feels the abuse is frequent or severe enough to warrant it or his warnings are not being heeded.

Yes the ref was within the rules. A rule that is rarely applied but he was spot on it he thought Khan was pushing too much. But as Hatton said, this isn't tiddly winks.

I thought that he was denying peterson to work on the inside by constantly fouling so they were justified

But the appeal isn't solely on that buy also the score card.

If he wins the appeal I can imagine the vitriol aimed at Khan.

I thought he was denying Peterson the chance to work on the inside by constantly fouling so the deductions were justified
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

The part where he rips the referee is totally uncalled for in my opinion, saying that he'll never referee another big fight again is out of order.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

rowley wrote:Az as I have alluded to earlier if Khan had anything even approaching an inside game or tactical nous he would not have to resort to shoving to keep an aggressive fighter off him, for me this would be a far better focus for his energies than some spurious and unwarranted appeal.

That is besides the point. Plus you have accused Khan of disrespecting Peterson whilst doing the same thing yourself. Give Peterson credit as Khan did. He fought a terrific fight. I fo rone dont believe Khan will develop a good enough inside game but should learn to use his jab more effectively to deter the more aggressive fighters.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

azania wrote:
rowley wrote:Az as I have alluded to earlier if Khan had anything even approaching an inside game or tactical nous he would not have to resort to shoving to keep an aggressive fighter off him, for me this would be a far better focus for his energies than some spurious and unwarranted appeal.

That is besides the point. Plus you have accused Khan of disrespecting Peterson whilst doing the same thing yourself. Give Peterson credit as Khan did. He fought a terrific fight. I fo rone dont believe Khan will develop a good enough inside game but should learn to use his jab more effectively to deter the more aggressive fighters.

Described Petersen as fighting out of his skin earlier, also I am not his opponent and as of yet am not interviewed post fights by the world press so any disrespect I may have paid him carries a little less weight than that of Khan. I don't think what I have said is beside the point, have already said the appeal is without merit so for me improving his game would be a far better use of his energies, because whilst there was much to admire about Lamont's performance this does not change the fact he is a guy Khan should be getting past and he should have the adaptability to overcome a guy being a little more aggressive than expected.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

I would much prefer to see a decision overturned with the likes of Macklin/ Sturm or Chisora/Helenius than this.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

rowley wrote:
azania wrote:

Described Petersen as fighting out of his skin earlier, also I am not his opponent and as of yet am not interviewed post fights by the world press so any disrespect I may have paid him carries a little less weight than that of Khan. I don't think what I have said is beside the point, have already said the appeal is without merit so for me improving his game would be a far better use of his energies, because whilst there was much to admire about Lamont's performance this does not change the fact he is a guy Khan should be getting past and he should have the adaptability to overcome a guy being a little more aggressive than expected.

Perhaps Peterson is a seriously good fighter who now believes in himself. During that fight and in the maidana fight it was evident that Khan lacked the snap in his jab to keep swarmers ot bay. He needs to develop the jab. Also perhaps Peterson has the juju on him.

But more credit should be given to Peterson for the fight and less of the saying that Khan should be handling fighters like him with relative ease.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:05 pm

Genuinely think if Khan has allusions towards being a P4P star or sharing a ring with the likes of Floyd and Manny he should be beating Petersen, Lamont fought a good fight but for me he did not do anything special in there or cute, just kept the pressure on and bullied him a bit. Struggle to see him beating too many other elite fighters by performing as he did Saturday night.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

Perhaps we over-rate fighters from these shores. Khan is good. Very good. But an elite fighter he is not and perhaps never will be. World class speed, but poor jab and careless in the ring. He loves a tear up too much when he should be sensible.

But he is one hell of an exciting fighter and for that I will support him as he is entertaining where it matters. In the ring.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm

I thought Khan won, but it wasn't a robbery by any stretch. Is the marquez pacquiao result going to be overturned? Fat chance.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:32 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:I was under the impression they always scored the round 10-8 with point deductions regardless of who won the round.

You were / are under the wrong impression then.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:36 pm

As you say Boxingfan88, if the result was overturned, there would be mayhem in the sport. There would be an appeal after every points win by the loser.

I think Khan once again has been terribly advised by one of his bloodsuckers. If he was so confident about how the fight was percieved he should just leave it. Look at Chisora for example. He was the victim of one of the worst robberies I have seen in years and he still has taken it like a man. Because he knows that he was the winner in the public eye.

Khan just wants an easy way to get his belts back and top up his win column in order to try to get a payday with Mayweather.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Completely agree, Dee.

Larry Merchant: "Amir, towards the end of the fight, he was catching you more and more"

Amir Khan: "I was the cleaner fighter in there, he was swinging wildly, my shots were cleaner and I was the cleaner fighter"

That was the drivel he came out with. He may have said Peterson was tough, but I never heard him praise once mention that Peterson fought well. He seemed to keep telling us how much cleaner he was.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:59 pm

kevchadders wrote:Horses for courses with the ref you get for a fight.

Watching a rerun of Ali vs Frazier 1971 on ESPN last night and Ali was constantly pushing Frazier away to make room.

As many have pointed out, Khan should have known better when the final warning was given mid way.

Precisely. It's like a rugby game. If the ref lets the number 7 play the ball from an off-side position all the time, that is exactly what he will do all game. If the ref gives a penalty the first few times it happens, then if the number 7 has a brain, they will stop playing the ball from an offside position. It's not rocket science. Khan is a hugely exciting fighter but he is in the wrong here and I hope his appeal fails.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote: Look at Chisora for example. He was the victim of one of the worst robberies I have seen in years and he still has taken it like a man. Because he knows that he was the winner in the public eye.

Khan just wants an easy way to get his belts back and top up his win column in order to try to get a payday with Mayweather.

You know it's bad when Chisora's your yardstick of honour and morality!

Khan couldn't be a worse PR machine unless he starts touching kids, he's so awful it's cringeworthy, yet there's probably still the same moron's out their who will try and say he's disliked because of his race or ethnicity. He's a tool and seems no more capable or solving that issue than he does of solving his ineptitude of dealing with pressure fighters!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:57 pm

I dont care what them judges say...Khan was the man that won the fight

Rematch asap somewhere neutral

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm

Steffan wrote:I dont care what them judges say...Khan was the man that won the fight

Well that's that sorted then, king steffie says Khan won so therefore the relevant bodies should order an immediate rematch.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Steffan wrote:I dont care what them judges say...Khan was the man that won the fight

Well that's that sorted then, king steffie says Khan won so therefore the relevant bodies should order an immediate rematch.

With the backing of Waingro! There's a new duo in town to change the world of boxing forever

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next