The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the "Hardest" in the sport today?

+30
TopHat24/7
theclawsgonnagetya
HumanWindmill
Il Gialloblu
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
trottb
BallchinianMuffwig
John Bloody Wayne
Fists of Fury
lovely_london
compelling and rich
Silver
BoxingFan88
Mr Bounce
Nico the gman
OasisBFC
ONETWOFOREVER
JabMachine
KO-KING
Steffan
tommyhearnsprodigalson
Bob
Valero's Conscience
Sir. badgerhands
Mind the windows Tino.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Union Cane
AlexHuckerby
d260005p
34 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who is the "Hardest" in the sport today? - Page 2 Empty Who is the "Hardest" in the sport today?

Post by d260005p Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Hey fight fans. We have a great night on Saturday (apart from Kell Brook fighting a bum) with the Ward vs Froch fight..................I have been watching Froch in training and he is looking ferocious.
He has a granite chin and always has a scrap.

Who in your minds is the hardest boxer today in terms of who he fights, how he fights and how he takes his win/loss?

Mine would have to be between Froch and Katsidis.

If i were to ever get into a scrap with them at a bar i would literally s**t myself!

Cheers.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Who is the "Hardest" in the sport today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the "Hardest" in the sport today?

Post by trottb Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:17 am

Agree Shah remarkable show of restraint. No doubt Degale was aware that upon hitting back could well do some damage and face proseecution/lost license.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Who is the "Hardest" in the sport today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the "Hardest" in the sport today?

Post by Il Gialloblu Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:19 am

OasisBFC wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
trottb wrote:Nothing right about coming on an internet forum and giving it the big one.

What are you talking about. I said that i am 6ft2 and 14 stone and would not be scared of a guy who is 5ft 7 and 10 stone etc and then someone threatened to knock me out. I then replied that we could have a fight (sparring) if he wanted to try and knock me out.

haha. i didnt even mention knocking anyone out. this whole thread is about boxers fighting 'regular' people. you said you wouldnt be sacred, i said you'd be on the carpet in seconds. as would i, even though im apparently bigger than you. why you brought your height and weight into it is anyones guess.

You mentioned yours earlier mate, unless that was just as an example?

lovely_london wrote:
trottb wrote:Think you'll find that degale was punched from the side in a bit of a melee and by all accounts decided not to throw anything back at anyone. Hardly beaten up.

i would rather fight a 5ft 7 10 stone boxer in a street fight then a 6ft4 16 stone guy.

Me too. I'd much rather be sparked out with one expert punch than be bludgeoned repeatedly by some gorilla who doesn't know what he's doing.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:30 am

Question for lovely_london.

Did you ever hold the pads for a pro or ex pro?

The reason I ask is that, like most of us here I should imagine, I had my fair share of scrapes as a youngster ( heck of a long time ago, in my case, ) and boxed a wee bit along the way. I dare say I got hurt a few times but I can truthfully say that the only occasion which I can remember was when I caught a freak punch in the throat, which hurt like the blazes.

Anyway, fifteen years or so ago I held the pads for a friend of mine who was an ex pro lightheavy and just wanted to keep fit by working out in his garage. I would have been, as near as makes no difference, around forty at the time, and he is a couple of years younger. I was also pretty fit and, without wishing to blow my trumpet, I was always blessed with very good upper body strength. Just to get a sense of perspective, the ex pro would have outweighed me, but only by a stone and a bit more.

When he let fly on those pads I was shocked by his power and his handspeed and found myself all but praying he wouldn't miss and clock me on the jaw. For all the misadventures of my youth and the bit of boxing I had done I'd never, ever experienced power like this guy was hurling at me.

I'm not ashamed to admit it. Were I twenty years younger and still strong I wouldn't entertain, for one second, taking on a trained pro boxer whose nose I might have put out of joint.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:48 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
trottb wrote:Nothing right about coming on an internet forum and giving it the big one.

What are you talking about. I said that i am 6ft2 and 14 stone and would not be scared of a guy who is 5ft 7 and 10 stone etc and then someone threatened to knock me out. I then replied that we could have a fight (sparring) if he wanted to try and knock me out.

haha. i didnt even mention knocking anyone out. this whole thread is about boxers fighting 'regular' people. you said you wouldnt be sacred, i said you'd be on the carpet in seconds. as would i, even though im apparently bigger than you. why you brought your height and weight into it is anyones guess.

You mentioned yours earlier mate, unless that was just as an example?

yes just a tongue in cheek example to suggest even though i was bigger i sill wouldnt want to take on a boxer.

let's face it boys - why would ANY of us want to fight anyone?

as a youngster at school all the 'mean' boys all seemed to be drawn towards me. having 2 big brothers and being a fan of wrestling actually helped as they seemed to be on the floor without me throwing a punch because i was used to having bigger lads tying to throw me around.

as i grew up i guess being tall and quite big has resulted in no trouble but the main reason is i simply dont look for it. im very, very chilled and would never look for a fight. its simply not my nature. in fact i hate fighting. to me boxing is a beautiful and brutal sport - the main word there being sport. fighting is not boxing.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:50 am

but kudos on the topic who posted this topic. at least it's got us talking.

merry christmas.
peace and love

oasisbfc.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:51 am

Same to you, Oasis.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 am

I would have liked to punch sinatra in the face Laugh enjoyed some of his music - but recently read what he did to Patterson. What a ******

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:13 am

I assume none of you have been in a street fight or a pub brawl. The majority of fights end up in a clinch where the bigger and stronger man will win and throw the other guy to the ground where he then get kicked in the head.

You guys are acting as if both guys will stand there and say 'ok we will throw one punch each and whoever throws the hardest punch will win the fight'.

Kimbo slice would lose a boxing match to carl froch in my view or to andre ward or a prime roy jones. But put kimbo in a street fight or pub brawl and he would kill all of those guys. simple.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 am

lovely_london wrote:I assume none of you have been in a street fight or a pub brawl. The majority of fights end up in a clinch where the bigger and stronger man will win and throw the other guy to the ground where he then get kicked in the head.

You guys are acting as if both guys will stand there and say 'ok we will throw one punch each and whoever throws the hardest punch will win the fight'.

Kimbo slice would lose a boxing match to carl froch in my view or to andre ward or a prime roy jones. But put kimbo in a street fight or pub brawl and he would kill all of those guys. simple.

ashamed to say been in a few scraps in my younger years, mainly at uni when all the locals use to think they would try and start on the students. me and the rest of the rugby team didnt take to kindly to some of these numptees. one of the rugby lads was a ex boxer, never once did i see a drunken guy get close to him. he would keep range and soon as the guy came in he would be on the deck before he knew what hit him. one punch every time without fail is all it took.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:39 am

lovely_london wrote:I assume none of you have been in a street fight or a pub brawl. The majority of fights end up in a clinch where the bigger and stronger man will win and throw the other guy to the ground where he then get kicked in the head.

Only thing simple here is you. As compelling has said if you think the average joe could come within punching distance of a pro in a street fight let alone brapple then you are deluded.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
heck of a long time ago, in my case,

Understatement doesn't do it justice... Whistle

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by theclawsgonnagetya Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 am

trottb wrote:

Only thing simple here is you. As compelling has said if you think the average joe could come within punching distance of a pro in a street fight let alone brapple then you are deluded.

Completely agree with above...I have no doubt I might have a chance of beating Nonito Donaire in a fight if we were both rolling around the ground grapling. But lets face it that aint going to happen. Yes I wouldn't be so stupid to stand and try and box him, I'd try and grab him and wrestle him to the ground. And before I got within touching distance he would punch me hard in the chops and I'd wake up on the pavement, with sever concussion. To even think that a trained boxer who squares up to a man with no boxing/martial arts training would lose, no matter how big is just madness...

theclawsgonnagetya

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:57 am

think i could win a fight by just sitting on donaire, catching the little bleeder would be a whole diiferent story

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:57 am

Having read through all these comments would fancy my chances far more against a Mayweather type fighter than say a Hatton anyday, would still end up face first on the ground.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:59 am

Welcome aboard Claw.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 am

trottb wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Ha!

Sadly true, though you are still a cheeky sod.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:12 am

lovely_london wrote:I assume none of you have been in a street fight or a pub brawl.

Guess the presumptive and superior attitude of some will tend to get them into scrapes more than others.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:17 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
trottb wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Ha!

Sadly true, though you are still a cheeky sod.

Bet you didn't let Harry near the speedball though Windy.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:19 am

Don't get me started, Ghosty.

I haven't been to Azworld today, and I don't intend to, either.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by theclawsgonnagetya Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:21 am

trottb wrote:Welcome aboard Claw.

Cheers Fella,

I use to be on the old 606 and have been following this forum for a while. Got into boxing about 6 years ago and if I'm honest most of my knowledge has come from some of the guys on here (more so windy and the captain, rather than D4 I may add)

Looking forward to some quality banter with everyone!

theclawsgonnagetya

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:25 am

Welcome from me too, claw.

Good to have you aboard, and hope you enjoy yourself here.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:26 am

Argument I had at work when Tommy Hearns was fighting,one idiot said one good kick in the balls and he'd go down like a bag of sh**e,I asked did he think he would get his foot up before Hearns jab smashed him in the face everyone started laughing at him.

The fact is a lot of boxers were street fighting before they got in the ring,and some are from hard areas,a boxer hits hard enough with gloves on what damage is he gonna do bareknuckle.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:48 am

theclawsgonnagetya wrote:
trottb wrote:Welcome aboard Claw.

Cheers Fella,

I use to be on the old 606 and have been following this forum for a while. Got into boxing about 6 years ago and if I'm honest most of my knowledge has come from some of the guys on here (more so windy and the captain, rather than D4 I may add)

Looking forward to some quality banter with everyone!

welcome aboard mate.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:12 am

If we're not talking current, then how about John L Sullivan or Jack Dempsey from the old school or Ketchel who was meant to be a bit of a nutter!

With respect to this my dad/your dad rubbish, I'm 6'4" and 18 stone and spent 4 years working as a bouncer so I'm not averse to a scrap (particularly involving drunks in bars or 'on the cobbles') and unless I could somehow tie Donaire up and make it a wrestling match I wouldn't expect to last more than 2-3 seconds! Would rather fight someone bigger but slower without a trained boxers crack and technique.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Just because you idolise boxers does not make them invincible. fact is I would beat up any pro boxer who is under 5ft 8 and weighs less than 10 stone.

oscar de la hoya had a boxing fight with a basket ball player a few years ago and he didnt even hurt the basketball player. The size was too much and the body weight was too much.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:49 pm

lovely_london wrote:fact is I would beat up any pro boxer who is under 5ft 8 and weighs less than 10 stone.

I doubt that the size issue is much of a factor in cyberspace. More about speed of connection and touch sensitivity of your keyboard, I would have thought.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Union Cane wrote:Katsidis in a bar brawl?

He is 5'7" and 10 stone.

Wouldn't last two minutes.

There's a reason that boxing has weight divisions...

probably the stupidest thing i've read from a normally clued up poster.... unless you were joking and then im the stupid one, lol.

To write of a professional athlete by saying they wouldnt stand a chance against someone down your local pub is astounding.

Diego corralles (r.i.p.) for exapmle at a modest 140lbs had the punching ability to put any big man down the boozer to sleep for weeks and if they dont go down on the first punch id have to say major brain injury upon recieving a few more to finish the job.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:04 pm

You seem to be of the mind that boxers couldn't adapt to a bar type fight...?????

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:10 pm

lovely_london wrote:Just because you idolise boxers does not make them invincible. fact is I would beat up any pro boxer who is under 5ft 8 and weighs less than 10 stone.

haha, just before you beat everyone up in the club do you say ' oi oi, faaaken lets faaken av it den saan'.

Dude you'd get flattened by a boxer.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:14 pm

dangerous_mouse wrote:
lovely_london wrote:Just because you idolise boxers does not make them invincible. fact is I would beat up any pro boxer who is under 5ft 8 and weighs less than 10 stone.

haha, just before you beat everyone up in the club do you say ' oi oi, faaaken lets faaken av it den saan'.

Dude you'd get flattened by a boxer.

The argument is not whether i would get beaten up by a boxer. It's whether a boxer who weighs the same as a girl and is a good 7 inches smaller than me could beat me up?

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Yes they would, I have a very strong link to a former british army heavyweight champion who often recalls being knocked about by a former british welterweight champion, the size difference was huge as was the ability to throw a hard punch. You must be clueless to think Kimbo Slice stands a chance in a street fight against a profressional boxer let alone yourself an absolute nobody.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Yes they would, I have a very strong link to a former british army heavyweight champion who often recalls being knocked about by a former british welterweight champion, the size difference was huge as was the ability to throw a hard punch. You must be clueless to think Kimbo Slice stands a chance in a street fight against a profressional boxer let alone yourself an absolute nobody.

So you think Amir Khan would beat Kimbo Slice in a street fight? I hope you're not a betting man.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:30 pm

With someone like Kimbo Slice who at least as a grounding in fighting it's more relative to his weight, put say Haye anywhere near him and he'd be knocked out in double quick time. All you need to see is Mercer knocking out that UFC bloke with one punch.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by theclawsgonnagetya Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Hang on a mo. This arguement appears to have moved from 'a 14 stone man in the pub would never lose to a 10 stone boxer in a street fight' to 'Kimbo Slice would never lose to a 10 stone boxer in a street fight'. Kimbo slice, whilst I imagine isn't much good in a boxing ring relative to another trained boxer of a similar size, is still both a notorious street boxer and trained martial artist who has fought in the UFC. I may be wrong, but you (London) I suspect are neither of these things.

theclawsgonnagetya

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:01 pm

theclawsgonnagetya wrote:Hang on a mo. This arguement appears to have moved from 'a 14 stone man in the pub would never lose to a 10 stone boxer in a street fight' to 'Kimbo Slice would never lose to a 10 stone boxer in a street fight'. Kimbo slice, whilst I imagine isn't much good in a boxing ring relative to another trained boxer of a similar size, is still both a notorious street boxer and trained martial artist who has fought in the UFC. I may be wrong, but you (London) I suspect are neither of these things.

I train 3 times a week in martial arts and have won medals in numerous tournaments.

However the argument people put was that a boxer is trained at fighting so would beat any brawler. before Kimbo Slice went into the UFC he was just a street fighter. He went to the UFC and showed that just being big and strong can win you fights even against those who trained in martial arts(mma) for years.

Just so I get this straight are people saying that a 10 stone boxer or 8 stone boxer or 9 stone boxer etc would beat a 14/15 stone man because the boxer has better technique and trains everyday to fight? If thats the case do you believe that a 10 stone FEMALE boxer would beat up a 15 stone 6ft 4 man in a pub? After all your argument suggests that weight and height will play no part in determining the winner of a street fight as technique is more imortant.

So do you believe a female 5ft 8 10 stone boxer could beat Kimbo slice(pre ufc kimnbo when he was just a street fighter) in a street fight?

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:02 pm

theclawsgonnagetya wrote:Hang on a mo. This arguement appears to have moved from 'a 14 stone man in the pub would never lose to a 10 stone boxer in a street fight' to 'Kimbo Slice would never lose to a 10 stone boxer in a street fight'. Kimbo slice, whilst I imagine isn't much good in a boxing ring relative to another trained boxer of a similar size, is still both a notorious street boxer and trained martial artist who has fought in the UFC. I may be wrong, but you (London) I suspect are neither of these things.

I think he's more than that! Or maybe it's because he's a Londoner!

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Put it this way despite being smaller someone like Brandon Rios would brutalise you, not sure why you insist on questioning that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Put it this way despite being smaller someone like Brandon Rios would brutalise you, not sure why you insist on questioning that.

What makes you think that?

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 pm

The simple fact Rios knows how to throw a punch and would knock you out before you got close, simple as that, not sure why anyone would insist on bigging themselves up on an internet forum makes them look pretty sad and pathetic.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:The simple fact Rios knows how to throw a punch and would knock you out before you got close, simple as that, not sure why anyone would insist on bigging themselves up on an internet forum makes them look pretty sad and pathetic.

For once we agree IG

Its like a 'Whos the next Chuck Norris' on here sometimes

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Steffan wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:The simple fact Rios knows how to throw a punch and would knock you out before you got close, simple as that, not sure why anyone would insist on bigging themselves up on an internet forum makes them look pretty sad and pathetic.

For once we agree IG

Its like a 'Whos the next Chuck Norris' on here sometimes

Think I've just found him or maybe it's lovely-london. For best results watch from 2min 30, hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE8DEnnHxDU&feature=g-vrec&context=G2b1dcd7RVAAAAAAAACQ

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Making a tool out of yourself London and moving the goal posts to suit your argument. Of course a small woman boxer would have no chance against Kimbo but he wasnt just a street brawler pre UFC. He obv trained for those fights in his garden.

No doubt Manny, Brandon Rios, Donaire or Maidana etc would muller you though in a boxing match, street or otherwise..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Making a tool out of yourself London and moving the goal posts to suit your argument. Of course a small woman boxer would have no chance against Kimbo but he wasnt just a street brawler pre UFC. He obv trained for those fights in his garden.

No doubt Manny, Brandon Rios, Donaire or Maidana etc would muller you though in a boxing match, street or otherwise..

Why would they? They are half my size hahahah.

If i had to fight Amir khan in a street fight i would not be scared and would be very confident of winning.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 pm

And why am i moving the goal posts. You are arguing that height and size does not matter when fighting a boxer as they train to punch. So by your definition a female boxer who is 5 ft 5 and weights 8 stone would knock out a 6 ft 4 man who weighs 16 stone.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:31 pm

We were initially talking about whos he hardest in boxing and you said you'd fancy your chances against a smaller boxer. No one really agreed with you so you change a small boxer to a small female boxer and your average 6"4 bloke in the street to Kimbo Slice. Ha thats moving the goal posts to me..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:32 pm

You're clearly hard as nails lets leave it there.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:We were initially talking about whos he hardest in boxing and you said you'd fancy your chances against a smaller boxer. No one really agreed with you so you change a small boxer to a small female boxer and your average 6"4 bloke in the street to Kimbo Slice. Ha thats moving the goal posts to me..

I said a smaller boxer and the replies were basically that i would lose cos even tho the boxer is smaller he has better technique. So would you then say that a female boxer would win? they have better technique than me too.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:50 pm

lovely_london wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:We were initially talking about whos he hardest in boxing and you said you'd fancy your chances against a smaller boxer. No one really agreed with you so you change a small boxer to a small female boxer and your average 6"4 bloke in the street to Kimbo Slice. Ha thats moving the goal posts to me..

I said a smaller boxer and the replies were basically that i would lose cos even tho the boxer is smaller he has better technique. So would you then say that a female boxer would win? they have better technique than me too.

I speak on behalf of the board, that a female boxer would spark you.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Jane couch easily.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:54 am

lovely_london wrote:

I train 3 times a week in martial arts and have won medals in numerous tournaments.

Small world. One of my grand daughters has just taken up Origami, also.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next