The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward vs Froch result (spoilers)

+25
AlexHuckerby
The Galveston Giant
azania
oxring
Strongback
theclawsgonnagetya
Mr Bounce
BoxingFan88
Herman Frotchlinger
ShahenshahG
ONETWOFOREVER
captain carrantuohil
SugarRayBray
Fists of Fury
mikeymax71
Herman Jaeger
wwinterj
The Sweet Science UK
Steffan
All Time Great
themadworldofjb
Il Gialloblu
Imperial Ghosty
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
drsweetscience
29 posters

Go down

Ward vs Froch result (spoilers) Empty Ward vs Froch result (spoilers)

Post by drsweetscience Sun 18 Dec - 3:31

Well done Mr Ward!

drsweetscience

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Froch result (spoilers) Empty Re: Ward vs Froch result (spoilers)

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 18 Dec - 3:32

Bute-ward next. The future looks bright for andre

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 18 Dec - 3:35

Think a certain welshmen has that claim for a fair while yet.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 18 Dec - 3:43

Well done Ward. I really like Froch but Ward was very very good.

By the way drsweetscience...

https://www.606v2.com/t20015-spoilers-please-read
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 18 Dec - 3:45

That was an amazing performance. Froch is not a bad fighter but Ward made him look ordinary. Fantastic performance
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 18 Dec - 3:45

Think he should finish up with Bute @ SMW.

Then look to move to LHW vs the likes of Cloud, Dawson, maybe Hopkins and Pascal. If he continues to get these sort of names under his belt at multiple weights he really will be seen as the number 1 P4P.

A fight I would love to see is Martinez vs Ward @ 164lb catchweight. Whether that can be made, I doubt, but it certaintly will sell.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 18 Dec - 3:47

Froch has struggled with speedsters in the past. Ward's skills were too much for him.

Prime Ward vs Prime Calzaghe, thats a fight I would love to see
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 18 Dec - 3:51

themadworldofjb wrote:Prime Ward vs Prime Calzaghe, thats a fight I would love to see

Ward wins the inside game but Calzaghes punch volume racks up points. This fight would be mega close if it had happened

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sun 18 Dec - 3:51

Fair play to Ward. Was superb on the inside & was very quick & classy. He'll run through Bute but I don't see the fight being made. Bute doesn't ever wanna leave Canada & Ward isn't gonna fight outside of America (to be fair now he's got the two titles & the super six trophy he doesn't have to as he's holding all the cards).

I can see Froch v Bute happening as Froch will at least go there and fight him.

So who next for Ward? Bute should but I don't see it. Dirrell is the mandatory challenger & that could be a real interesting match up; style wise.

Big mention has to go to Froch though. Never stopped trying, great determination & displayed a true warrior's heart. Very gracious in defeat unlike some boxers recently.

There's no shame in losing to the better man & quite possibly a future P4P king.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wwinterj Sun 18 Dec - 3:56

cant believe how ordinary froch looked.credit to ward,class boxer.
wwinterj
wwinterj

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec - 4:10

Could have got good that if it had been a fifteen rounder. Carl's a fifteen round fighter ultimately, he was just starting to get into the fight in the last two. Wish fifteen rounders could come back. I hope there'll be a return one day.

How does anyone beat Ward though?

Hopkins/Ward is the one I want to see.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec - 6:18

People been giving Carl the wrong advice recently- telling him to be more busy. In future hope he fights at his own pace, more economical, I want to see him throw far fewer punches. He needs to start being himself and ignore advice like all the really great sportsmen.

Both himself and Ward CSM go onto greatness. Who knows, maybe there's someone out there who might have his number.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec - 6:20

might have Ward's number. Bloody phone!

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sun 18 Dec - 10:39

To be honest I think the outcome was what most of us expected but I agree that Froch showed his class in defeat.

I wonder how the fight would have been if Ward had a ref who would not allow the inside tactics like Mayweather/Hatton. Might be have been a slightly closer fight but without a doubt Ward just had a far better skillset.

If Ward takes on Bute, Hopkins, Cloud, Pascal and Dawson I think he could well retire in a few years as there are no names on the horizon that could challenge him (Martinez is too small and our domestic hopefuls are I doubt will reach those levels if they continued to be managed by the cautious Warren).

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 18 Dec - 11:38

First of all, great effort from Froch as you would expect, he certainly never stopped trying. Ward's faced bore a few marks of battle, but ultimately his defence was just that bit too cute for Froch, who would have needed more speed to be able to really get to him. He knows all the little defensive (and offensive, for that matter) tricks when tying up on the inside, and he is incredibly elusive and difficult to catch cleanly when he is on the outside.

I scored it 117-112, and was surprised that two of the judges had it only 2 rounds apart. I did think the referee should have broke them a lot earlier than he did, though, as Ward was clearly tying up Froch as part of his game plan, something which it should be remembered isn't strictly within the rules. Not that I think it would have altered the outcome, but it'd have made for a better fight to watch.

As for Ward, he really does look the real deal (though is it just me or is he pretty ordinary to watch?). I won't be making too much of an effort to stay up for his future fights. I'd probably sum him up as incredibly efficient, as opposed to an entertainer or great boxer. Hopefully he can land a fight with Bute, though I have my doubts about that one ever taking place.

Froch, where does he go? Three options stand out - Bute, move up to light-heavyweight, or retire. I'd like to see him have another couple of fights, he is almost always value for money. I thought he was very humble and gracious in defeat, admitting that he just couldn't land cleanly on Ward, and for no lack of trying.

Either way, it has been a hell of a ride, and Carl has done the UK proud in this tournament and with the way he has conducted himself outside of the ring, too. Such a hard, hard man he is almost impervious to punches and has made the best of what he has. Ultimately, it wasn't quite enough against a very sharp and cunning fighter in Ward.

As a side note, Kell Brook looked superb, I thought. Obviously his opponent wasn't world class, but he was game enough for a first fight in the States, and Kell's jab, defensive skills and movement were all top notch. Very excited about what he can do at world level, and as I've said before, for me he beats Ortiz and Berto already.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sun 18 Dec - 12:13

(though is it just me or is he pretty ordinary to watch?)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it isn't just you - I think he is pretty ordinary to watch as well. He did a great job on Froch and is very slippery and skilful but he doesn't appear to do anything exceptionally well.

I found the fight pretty frustrating to watch and was tearing my hair out thinking what is Froch waiting for?! He looked very slow and amateurish at times but never stopped trying and he has done great things in boxing, but credit where it is due, Ward fought a very smart fight.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 18 Dec - 12:37

Thought the scoring of the two North Americans was absurdly off base. The only round that I unequivocally gave to Froch was the 12th. You could argue that the fifth went to the Nottingham man as well, I suppose - I had that one level, but gave all the rest to Ward. 119-110, I made it, which is a much more accurate reflection of Ward's superiority than 115-113.

I remain a great admirer of Froch and he has nothing for which to reproach himself. Running into someone who would have too much for him on his best day is no cause for shame.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec - 12:40

New trainer for Froch anyone?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Dec - 12:44

Na - This trainer isn't doing anything wrong - Just a superior fighter there and think Froch is a bit too late to change his style.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec - 12:50

Froch is about to embark on the final chapter of his career, after this fight others will say he has been exposed so it maybe a good idea to go elsewhere. Mcracken has done a good job up to now but Froch does struggle with slick and quick fighters, Dirrel being a recent example. People have mentioned Bute but on this recent display by Froch and after Butes masterclass aginst Johnson I do not see Froch doing very well against the Canadian/Romanian.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Sun 18 Dec - 12:53

I think Manny Steward would like to have a go. That cold be a smart move for Carl. There's still some untapped potential

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 18 Dec - 12:57

Bute should have to earn a shot at Ward by beating Kessler or Froch. Bute has been happy to sit in Canada waiting for the super six to finish and get a massive pay day for beating the winner. Ward should either make him earn it or give him a low cut of the pay.

As for Ward, he made Froch (a tremendous fighter) look very ordinary and beat Froch at his own game, Ward actually went toe to toe. Ward has shown that he can do everything. I expected Ward to win by UD but I never thought he would fight like that.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 18 Dec - 13:00

I don't like Ward but I have to congratualte him on this fight. He make Froch miss and took him to school. The British judge was the only one who got the scoring about right.

Carl has NOTHING to be ashamed of - he was beaten by the better man on the night and duly admitted as much.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec - 13:02

Froch still has the goods at this stage of his career but the worry is that others will have seen this fight and previous fights and noted where Froch struggles. Froch can still get big fights but he may need to really work on his defence as Ward alluded to after the fight. Froch was to easy to hit and you don't get points for leaving your chin in the air. Ward reminds me of Winky Wright in a way. You need a game plan to beat him. Its not enough just turning up and expecting your power to do the job.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 18 Dec - 13:03

I thought the American interview at the end was pretty classless. The whole point of the super six was to make the American star Ward the champion because it was a division dominated by europeans and we had nearly all the belts. The Americans needed to level the playing field. You could see the interviewer barely able to contain his excitement.

Froch was a warrior and fought the best, only once fighting in the UK, he came up short in this one but he is someone the UK and boxing in general can be proud of. To insult his effort and mock his skills really showed the lack of class in my opinion.

Ward to his credit was a class act again and tried to be quite conservative in the interview.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec - 13:07

Yeah Ward is a decent bloke and has been throughout, not really a trashtalker. Froch tried in vain to get inside his head and failed. Ward has a good mind set. Froch needs a new direction in terms of training.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sun 18 Dec - 13:11

I was surprised to see Ward pushing Froch back so often and he looked the stronger of the two when they got into clinches. Carl seemed a little tense and nervous to me at the start and consequently he was stiff and lacked fluidity.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by theclawsgonnagetya Sun 18 Dec - 13:20

Defo agree that Ward comes across as a class act, its good to see folks like him and Martinez doing well in the ring and proves you don't neet to be an ahole to be top of the tree in boxing.

Well done also to Carl, no doubt hes a true warrior, although he does appear to think the fight was closer than most. Also think he needs to beat Kesler before he proclaims to be the '2nd best Super Middle', but no doubt hes up there.

theclawsgonnagetya

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 18 Dec - 13:51

I can't see Ward being a top PPV fighter. He has many gifts but he is too negative with his spoiling and holding even if it means he very rarely takes a flush punch. Hopkins is better to watch and he certainly hasn't cranked up the PPV figures in a lot of his fights.

Ward is slick but he just doesn't have the grace of say a Mayweather who is poetry in motion.

I was surprised just how easily the smaller Ward was able to grapple and push Froch around the ring. Ward is naturally awkward and what he does can't really be taught but the way he is able to position himself and shift his weight around in the clinch is a rarely seen talent. It would be interesting to see if Ward would be affected much by a fussy ref who kept breaking the fight up.

Nice to see Froch doing a genuine interview at the end of the fight and he dropped the super intense 'I am warrior act which never suits him. After initially not warming to Froch I must say he has shown great character over the course of the Super 6 tournament and has demonstrated he is a very genuine guy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 18 Dec - 13:52

I just hope that he can be the huge star that he deserves to be, he doesn't have knockout power and he isn't a trash talker. Hopefully people can appreciate his vast skill set. I am most definitely a fan.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 18 Dec - 14:01

BoxingFan88 wrote:I just hope that he can be the huge star that he deserves to be, he doesn't have knockout power and he isn't a trash talker. Hopefully people can appreciate his vast skill set. I am most definitely a fan.

Agreed. Not a big puncher - but he can still hurt you. He needs Bute as his next fight - I would back Ward. After that - Martinez at a catchweight or a move to LHW. He may as well keep busy with top fights - he's 28 and may only have 5 years left at the top.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec - 14:14

I have to agree with the earlier statement that Bute must deserve a shot at Ward by facing a Froch or Abraham.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 18 Dec - 15:53

Bute thought he was so clever by letting the super six go on whilst fighting mostly weak opposition in comparison (Johnson aside). His plan was then to demand the winner and get a massive pay day.

Hopefully that doesn't happen.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec - 15:57

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I have to agree with the earlier statement that Bute must deserve a shot at Ward by facing a Froch or Abraham.

That doesn't happen. He's a belt holder and will probably be fed some livestock before a fight with Ward. Why risk him losing when a bigger payday is round the corner. Boxing is business and your suggestion is not good business sense.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Dec - 16:00

BoxingFan88 wrote:Bute thought he was so clever by letting the super six go on whilst fighting mostly weak opposition in comparison (Johnson aside). His plan was then to demand the winner and get a massive pay day.

Hopefully that doesn't happen.

I agree it's not fair but he needs to make a living aswell and a lot of them have been tied up to the tounament, he seriously needs to test himself against one of them though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec - 18:14

Where on earth will Bute/Ward be held?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sun 18 Dec - 19:08

AlexHuckerby wrote:Where on earth will Bute/Ward be held?

Apparently Waingro been in contact with both fighters and promoters and they've agreed to do 6 rounds in America, hop on a plane and do another 6 in Canada.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 18 Dec - 20:13

I actually think Bute would be a tougher fight for Ward. He's a superior boxer to Froch, more slick and a harder puncher.

I'd fancy Ward to win, but wouldnt write Bute off.

Thats actually the main fight of 2012 that I want to see. Even above Mayweather-Paquaio.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Dec - 20:23

Cant see Bute agreeing to face Ward but I hope I am wrong. Ward has shown plenty of ambition so far so hopefully he can push to the fight and trvel to Canada if neccessary. I just feel Bute and his team are comfortable where they are at the moment and are not too pushed about taking the risk. If there is to be another unification at SMW it would more likely be Kessler/Bute I think which both guys would see as more winable than Ward.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec - 20:32

Thing is Ward has shown a lot of ambition in facing the best guys but hasn't shown much if any real willingness to travel for it. Bute hasn't travelled mainly due to money reasons, he doesn't sell much outside of Canada, and he's very popular over there. Ward doesn't realy sell particularly well himself, though. To be honest with you, the guy is extremely boring to watch in my opinion he even put Carl Froch in a boring fight. So Canada may be the best place for the fight to be made in terms of money. Unless the win over Froch has genuinely jumped him up to superstar level, which I doubt.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 19 Dec - 1:43

I felt from the first round Froch seemed very stiff and tense.. He looked like he needed to relax a bit more, I think he was maybe more nervous then he made out.

I only gave Froch 3 rounds.. the rest he was out boxed, out muscled and out worked, But you have to give him credit for not giving in and you fancy if it had gone on for a couple more rounds he could have ground Ward down.. But Ward clearly had done enough..

Ward is class and has now proven with out a doubt he is one of the best boxers in the world at the moment..

I think Froch has already done enough to have respect as a very good fighter. But he should get the rematch with Kessler to set that one straight. Then go for Bute where he can maybe be a champ again and then hang up his gloves boasting a very impressive career.

He could maybe improve his performance against Ward in a rematch, but I would still fancy Ward beating him, so I would avoid the rematch..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down