The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who wins and why - Prime Calzaghe vs Andre Ward (Neutral Venue)?

+23
kevchadders
Mind the windows Tino.
KO-KING
Super D Boon
Strongback
Rowley
coxy0001
PPVxHOTTY
Fists of Fury
ShahenshahG
BoxingFan88
azania
oxring
superflyweight
hogey
spencerclarke
88Chris05
zx1234
Imperial Ghosty
manos de piedra
J.Benson II
Herman Jaeger
GeoffSnapes
27 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Who wins and why - Prime Calzaghe vs Andre Ward (Neutral Venue)? - Page 4 Empty Who wins and why - Prime Calzaghe vs Andre Ward (Neutral Venue)?

Post by GeoffSnapes Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ward had too much speed for Froch, but how would he manage against a peak Joe Calzaghe?

Boxing Challenges - http://www.konkura.com/

Last edited by GeoffSnapes on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Who wins and why - Prime Calzaghe vs Andre Ward (Neutral Venue)? - Page 4 Empty Re: Who wins and why - Prime Calzaghe vs Andre Ward (Neutral Venue)?

Post by manos de piedra Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:24 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:i think its a leap of faith to assume ward would beat calzaghe. i think it would be a straight forward win for a prime calzaghe- ward is quick, akward and technically good, but joes workrate is something ward hasnt dealt with. i think joes quickness would be about the same as ward, but i think calzaghe would through a 1000 punches plus and just outwork him. hopkins spoiling tactics didnt work so i have no reason to beleive ward would be any differen. dont see a KO from either guy, and ward tired towards the end, which is when calzaghe would really take it to him

Hes better than anyone Calzaghe fought at SMW by a fair distance. Does Calzaghe really beat him easier than the likes of Bika, Reid and Kessler?

Hopkins tactics did work against him. He just lacked the stamina to maintain them.

i think his dismatling of lacy was more impressive than wards win over froch. much more decisive.

It probably is, but Froch is better than Lacy and Ward is alot better than them both.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Who wins and why - Prime Calzaghe vs Andre Ward (Neutral Venue)? - Page 4 Empty Re: Who wins and why - Prime Calzaghe vs Andre Ward (Neutral Venue)?

Post by Waingro Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Calzaghe would destroy Ward imo far too much speed and skill for him. Both are unbeaten but will Ward retire unbeaten? I dont think he will he I reckon Froch could beat him in a rematch in Britain he got his tactics wrong and he has admitted that. He said he started too slow and was trying to land power shots instead of putting his punches together. He will learn from this. Ward has not fought outside of his home like a true champ so he needs to do this or he will become like Ottke or Bute who ae known as being stay at home fighters.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Waringo, Ward has already or is getting a better resume than JC.

That being said, based on styles Calzaghe beats Ward imo.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:52 am

i'm not firmly in either camp on ward. He's clearly very good, but the next superstar? Jury out still on that for me. I like froch, but his limitations were always there. ward exposed them, looked slick and composed and won comfortably but, i wasn't left with a 'wow' factor. Reminds me a bit of winky... not so much in terms of style but in terms of being very good... and even better at making opponents look bad.

Manos mentioned, what froch mentioned about how ward is either right up close or out of range. Alternatively, you could say he just has a great judgement of distance which most great fighters have and has adapted a style that works for him around that.

Sometimes you just need to have a small edge over your opponent to win comfortably, here is where i find calzaghe ward tough to call. Both are quick, ward is better defensively, calzaghe has better work rate. Which would be decisive? Its a marginal call. At this stage i'd lean slightly to jc... he too has great judgement of distance... he throws punches in clusters and does it by stepping into range and taking chances and backing himself. I think ward struggles with this, as he might avoid the first punch but not the follow ups. Of course if ward turns out to be just too quick for jc, he could counter him effectively all night. Close call.

As for common opponents, it doesn't mean much... ward might have done a clearer job on kessler than jc did, but he probably made harder work of bika... and neither are a pointer to the styles that would mesh in this particular fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Seems our friend Mr Scott Gilfoid on boxingnews24.com has put his incredible boxing knowledge across in a very thought provoking article....

Amazing argument, sounds like he is arguing on a school yard.....

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/12/calzaghe-andre-ward-is-good-but-beatable/

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4