The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do British Fighters Lack Class and Smarts?

+8
KO-KING
Imperial Ghosty
azania
Waingro
BallchinianMuffwig
manos de piedra
Seanusarrilius
davidemore
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do British Fighters Lack Class and Smarts? - Page 2 Empty Do British Fighters Lack Class and Smarts?

Post by davidemore Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Hey Guys,

Firstly let me say that i respect all boxers, every single one of them (but for the loons like Margacheat and Valero), and also that I am British.

So, after watching Froch vs Ward I got thinking about the top ten British fighters of the last 10 years. Like many of you i had Joe, Hatton and Lewis in there, as well as a few other familiar names. I also put Froch in there for his consistent level of opponent, varied style of opponent, traveling, will and victories.

But this then got me thinking about class and ring smarts, which but for Lewis on the ring smart front, all of our fighters seemed to lack when compared to their relative contemporaries. I'm not saying that British fighters are stupid, i am not, but compared to American counterparts, when it comes to the big fights, the world or elite level stuff, they seem to lack class and smarts, generalship perhaps.

Hatton vs Pac Man. A panic stricken Ricky fights face first, the rest is a donkey punch. No smarts and very little class in the way he stood by a Vegas swimming pool the next morning whilst drinking a cocktail and telling the reporter that Pac Man's punch would have... well... you know the word, it began with D.

Froch vs Ward. Froch shows a lack of smarts by not getting rough early, as Ward is quick to show his technical superiority. Although, in that fight he did show real class iin defeat.

Joe vs Jones. Joe shows a real lack of class by taunting Roy in the latter rounds and wiggling his groin like a stripper. He also shows a lack of smarts at times by sticking his chin right in Jones face, inviting him to hit it, thinking the crowd are impressed.

Khan vs Peterson. Striving for elite level Amir shows a real lack of smarts by dancing backwards and throwing sporadic arm punches in bunches. Bad because they didn't hurt Peterson, bad because they didn't help him look aggressive, bad because he tired and spent too much time shoving. The lack of class in the way he moaned afterwards was well, embarrassing. His defeat was hardly Williams vs Lara was it?

Hatton vs Mayweather. Although Hatton showed class in the build up, he looked pretty silly in the fight, falling for every trick Mayweather had like a little boy does with an older teenage brother... " go in the closet timmy, go on, go on, there's some sweets in there..." What a check inside left hook though, ka pow!

Maybe what some of these Brit's lacked in the big fights was comparative boxing skill? As when a man is being outdone, globally (TV), then often his actions reflect his frustration. Still, can't help but think that sometimes us Brit's don't see the bigger picture, and although admirable, our boxers more often than lot let it all go in the ring when it is so important to keep composed and together, especially when fighting some of the worlds best.

Thoughts?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Do British Fighters Lack Class and Smarts? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do British Fighters Lack Class and Smarts?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm

To be fair Brook must be doing something right for the americans to rate him higher than their own Mike Jones.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Do British Fighters Lack Class and Smarts? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do British Fighters Lack Class and Smarts?

Post by azania Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Lovemore Ndou I believe was the guy he fought. He was ranked at the weight below.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:29 pm

No the fight AFTER Ndou but the one before Galarza, I'll boxrec to check.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:To be fair Brook must be doing something right for the americans to rate him higher than their own Mike Jones.

Brook looks going doing what he's doing. I haven't seen much of Jones except for a few you tube vids. But from what I've read about him, he isn't that good.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Rafal Jackiewicz

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 pm

I forgot in boxing that there's no inbetween world class and not that good, silly old me again.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I can also definitely say that Jackiewicz was not a top ten rated Welterweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:42 pm

He was in one of the Organisations.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Yeah probably the WBO but in a four belt system you need more than singular recognition.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I forgot in boxing that there's no inbetween world class and not that good, silly old me again.

In most peoples world it goes - journeyman - prospect - world class - elite level. Respectable domestic level boxers just get put in the journeyman section for no reason.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Brook is at a stage where he should not be fighting guys just to look good. He is knocking at the door of a title belt and fighting part time short order chefs is a waste of his time.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:53 pm

Brook and Jones are clearly better than 'not very good', the two men seen as the future of the Welterweight division.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Brook and Jones are clearly better than 'not very good', the two men seen as the future of the Welterweight division.

I have written on this thread that I rate Brook highly. It seems that any criticism of any boxer where constructive or not is deemed to be an insult. I've also said that I have only seen a few you tube vids of Jones and also fron what I've read, he is not rated that highly. Americans are not slow in building up any of their prospects but Jones seems to be flying very low under their radar.

As for Jones being the future of the division, how old is he. 29 or something?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:37 am

Rafal Jackiewicz was rated number 7 in the welterweight divison by the Ring who many think do the best ratings. This was a very good fighter that Brook absolutely destroyed. Brook is the third best welterweight at the moment imo. Mayweather would beat him and so would Pacquiao but after that Brook would beat guys like Ortiz and Berto and Khan if they ever fought this guy is quality and will be a world champ soon. Tbh I think he could push Pacquiao very close who is on the slide and should retire soon before he gets too washed up. I agree with people saying the guy has great Ring smarts I think he is ready to fight for a world title and beat guys like Ortiz and Berto who are not as good.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:47 am

May have once been rated in the top ten but wasn't when Brook faced him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:48 am

He was number 7 when Brook faced him

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:54 am

Damm the Welterweight division is weaker than I thought.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:48 am

You probably have a point, yes. Perhaps it's down to the standard of coaching, i'm not sure.

I've always thought that if anything our fighters can be too brave for their own good, both in terms of taking fights that their American counterparts wouldn't, and then on occasion primarily being interested in a fight before a technical boxing match.

The money's in America, sure, but maybe it's time for British promoters to start stumping up a few more quid. How many of our fighters, those bordering on world level or/and undefeated, have we seen go over to the States and be outclassed over the last couple of years? Perhaps they are less technically gifted than American boxers of the same weight, but perhaps they're not being given a chance. Take an undefeated, world class, American prospect, would he look so ringsmart during twelve gruelling rounds in Manchester or at York Hall? I'm not sure.

I've gone off on a tangent here, but somewhere or other what i'm saying links in with the original argument!

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2