The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He's retired (contains UFC 141 spoiler)

4 posters

Go down

He's retired (contains UFC 141 spoiler) Empty He's retired (contains UFC 141 spoiler)

Post by Phoenix Sat 31 Dec 2011, 1:01 pm

I'm not suprised Brock retired really as he hasn't been the same since the surgery and i'm suprised he even carried on after such a serious disease, so I got to give him credit for trying.

I still reckon Brock would have been better if he gone straight to MMA instead of WWE and he could have even built on his Amature Wrestling background by learning a striking based martial art like Muay Thai, instead of relying on his ground game.

As for his UFC career, I still feel he was thrown in at the deep end because Dana wanted WWE fans to get into UFC and as a result he got rushed into the title picture instead of working his way upto it and learning the MMA game along the way.

Anyway, good luck in retirement Brock and if you have any sense, don't go back to WWE unless it's part time only.

Phoenix

Back to top Go down

He's retired (contains UFC 141 spoiler) Empty Re: He's retired (contains UFC 141 spoiler)

Post by talkingpoint Sat 31 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

I think it was a combination of his diverticulitis and lack of experience as a pro mixed martial artist. Brock was fast tracked to the title for sure but he didn't show a lot of improvement between fights - I never truly considered him a world class mixed martial artist. Nevertheless I respect him for embracing a career in MMA and stepping into the Octagon against tough opponents. He did provide some great moments and will be remembered for being the light that burnt twice as bright for half as long.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

He's retired (contains UFC 141 spoiler) Empty Re: He's retired (contains UFC 141 spoiler)

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

I heavily favoured Overeem but Lesnar always had that chance due to his size and I wondered how good Overeem's takedown defence would be against someone as big as Lesnar coupled with his wrestling pedigree. This was shown very early on and Overeem's defended the takedown attempt with complete ease!

Lesnar never had the chance others had in that he didn't have years of training and apart from his first fight was thrown in the deep end like no one else has and has come out of it with a 5-3, which is pretty good.

Overeem vs JDS is going to be fun!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

Stylistically JDS v Overeem is much the better fight. In many ways it has a similar feeling to the Cain fight. I think Overeem will try and close the distance more with the clinch and utilise more traditional muay thai against JDS so not to create space and leave him open to getting tagged by JDS's hooks. I think if Overeem doesn't beat him he will come the closest - I very much expect this fight to be as entertaining as the Jones v Machida fight.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Wed 04 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

This was always going to happen. Brock just isn't a mixed martial artist. He won the title when the division was at its worst but now he can't hang with the top guys.

I heard rumours that his training partners couldn't spar hard with him too which isn't the way to train if you want to be the best.

Back to real fighters can't wait for Overeem v JDS. Really hope Overeem gets the win and I think he should unless Dos Santos decides to suprise us and try to make it a grappling match. IMO Overeem has an adv in the stand up.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down