The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

+28
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pyleboy65
Portnoy
Smirnoffpriest
red_stag
pontylad
maestegmafia
Cari
Steffan
glamorganalun
JayMaster3000
Casartelli
Shifty
BridgendBoyo
offload
Cardiff Dave
wayne
Luckless Pedestrian
Morgannwg
rodders
Jimmy Moz
Feckless Rogue
theskippingpig
Cymroglan
geoff998rugby
bedfordwelsh
XR
Kingshu
32 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it? - Page 3 Empty Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

Post by Kingshu Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

First topic message reminder :

There seams to be a few calls for the regions to be looked at but no plans of how to change it. The main point seams to be that some people want to see a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region brought back. My question is to Welsh fans, mostly those not in the Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC area, would you like to see a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region brought back?

It seams that Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC have both been doing well in developing players and in the Welsh prem and lots of fans in these areas, don't feel that they belong to a region, it is a big market that the WRU are missing out on at regional level.

But if a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region were to be bought back it would mean the WRU funding to the other regions would be decreased to pay for it.

Also reseting up a Bridgend Ravens/Celtic Warriors/new name side would mean that a North Wales region would that even longer to happen (if is ever does).

The idea of it seams to carry pros and cons, I'm sure for fans from this area the pros outweight the cons, but what about fans of other regions?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it? - Page 3 Empty Re: Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:40 am

Risca Rev wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:At least people like myself who turned up to all the Warriors games tried to make a region work. Unlike Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport fans who just turned up watch a rebranded version of the club they always supported

I certainly wasn't a Newport fan previously ta, I watched Ebbw Vale (as my mates played fly half and flanker) and Keys, but not Newport.

And just to add that I still watch both Newport RFC and Gwent Dragons. How can the Dragons just be rebadged? I'm not watching the same thing twice. The fact that they exist separately will tell you that they're completely different things.

Back to top Go down

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it? - Page 3 Empty Re: Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:40 am

Risca Rev wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:At least people like myself who turned up to all the Warriors games tried to make a region work. Unlike Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport fans who just turned up watch a rebranded version of the club they always supported

I certainly wasn't a Newport fan previously ta, I watched Ebbw Vale (as my mates played fly half and flanker) and Keys, but not Newport.

Likewise myself, I am an Ebbw boy through and through and when get the chance still go and watch them but I decided that if I want to watch proffesional rugby I would have to support a Region and for me (not all from Ebbw) then my obvious choice was the Dragons.

As said before things not totally right and always room for improvement everywhere but they are woring at it and not hearing Newport chants on the terrace is a big step for me.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:45 am

AlynDavies wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:Sorry Alyn, do you want to back up your claim that the Scarlets are not developing the game in mid and west Wales? (we were having a go at the North but the WRU decided to then set up RGC up there)

Sure the Ospreys play their Lv games in bridgend, do the scarlets play their in parc erias and the race course ground?

Why is it that more RGC1404 academy players go into rugby league and english rugby union academies than the scarlets academy?

I think the WRU should of forced the Scarlets Vs Blues and Ospreys Vs Dragons Lv games up to North Wales to promote the game up there.
they should also play 1 international up there each season, a tuesday night game in the november series maybe, on the weekend we play the Tier B nation?

The Scarlets DID play games up in North Wales until the WRU then decided to take charge of that area, so hardly the Scarlets' fault that not all RGC players go to their academy. North Wales isn't part of our region any longer so we don't have all that much input. (And surely the O's have only played one game outside of the Library for the LV, no?)

And because we don't play games outside of Llanelli, we aren't developing rugby? Seriously? So there are no other ways to develop rugby?

If you were on about promoting it then sure you may have a slight point, but not about developing it. Scarlets do a huge amount of work at all age grades throughout the entirety of their region. We may have got it wrong when the regions were first set up but we sure as hell have been working hard to get it right in the last few seasons. I would suggest our increased attendances are proving that this is working.

No offence like, but I disagree with you completely that they aren't developing the game Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:48 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
offload wrote:I grew up a Pontypool fan and "hated" Newport. Now I'm a season ticket holder with the Dragons and the reason is that over time the Dragons have developed a regional approach. There are good relations with the feeder clubs and the fans stopped chanting Newport. I still wouldn't go and support Newport RFC but I'm happy to support the Dragons. I wish the Board would drop the Newport name too.

! wouldn't support a valley region - pointless. We can't afford the 4 we have without generous benefactors. The Blues are largely to blame for the animosity 10 years on. Norster is an ignorant fool as is anyone arrogant enough to chant Cardiff at a Blues game. If Cardiff can't embrace regionalism then they should lose their regional franchise. Come to think about it three Welsh regions would be fine...

How can you suggest that Cardiff Blues fans are arrogant by chanting "Cardiff" at Cardiff Blues games?

Because they are supposed to be a regional team - Cardiff should not even be in the name.
Cardiff's failure to reach out to the other teams in their region is a big part of the problem that regional rugby in Wales face.

That and the fact Swansea and Neath don't seem to talk to each other.

As to a valley's team having a ground at the head of the valleys - as an outsider that seems like a reasonable compromise. Neutral ground and just as easy, if not easier, for the various valley based teams to get to.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:33 am

Jimmy Moz wrote:
gcBlues wrote:Valley mindedness.

And it's a snobby attitude like that which is the very reason people hate you all over Wales

It's not a snobby attitude, it is the truth. Ponty fans are part of a region and are being spoilt brats. If the blues changed their name to something totally unconnected to Cardiff, they still wouldn't support the team because they believe they should have their own region. Go on their message board and facebook page, it's hilarious.

5000...very commendable, but it was on boxing day against the big bad cardiff money men. Of course you're going to get a good crowd, i'd be interested to see if the next home game gets just as much or whether or not it was the valley mindedness that brought them out.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

gc,

Ther's arguments for both sides and having friends and family back in Ebbw I agree that some of it is bl88dy mindedness but its also the sheer mindedness of the Blues by not trying to accomodate. The Newport chanys have gone from Rodney Parade now and the Dragons are doing great stuff in the Gwent Regions with the kids, a lot of this is an age thing.

One question though would a lot of Cardiff RFC fans who now follow the Blues been as willing to follow their Region if they were playing at Sardis Rd with Pontypridd the dominant name and Ponty colours the dominant colour?

I have asked this of Newport RFC fans and some would some wouldn't.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

Remember Fecklees Rogue that it hasn't all been roses for the Provinces either.

Remember the times when there were some Leinster couties outside Dublin felt that Leinster were just a Dublin team and supported Munster instead (this was at a time when Munster were playing in H-cup finals) but now Leinster are the ones winning H-cups you don't hear anything about Leinster people supporting Munster.

Maybe Success for the Blues could bring a few of the fans in the region round (and dropping the Cardiff).

Just a side point, if Cardiff Blues were to drop the Cardiff, could they become the Blues or is this name now owned by the Blues in NZ formally Auckland Blues? If to drop the Cardiff would they have to rename as something else?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

Jimmy Moz wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Lanelli RFC have been known as the Scarlets for around 100 years or so. Should they have therefore dropped the Scarlets name as well?

Yes they should have dropped it. Im sure they actually think they are fooling people by calling themselves 'The Scarlets' that they are a real region. I haven't got any issue with where the stadium is and where the region is based as the west does need a region, but please don't pretend it's anything other than a Llanelli superclub at the moment.

I'm certainly not pretending that the Scarlets are anything other than Llanelli because as you have mentioned elsewhere, apart from the omission of the "LL" word (in 2008) from the name of the team nothing has changed for them. Their website unashamedly celebrates the history of the club (i'm happy to say and the complete opposite of Cardiff Blues) plus there are supporters jerseys available to purchase with "Scarlets est 1872".

Check out Gorgeous George modelling a Scarlets est 1872 supporters top;
http://shop.scarlets.co.uk/Heritage-range-Bennett-jersey-mens.html

"Commemorate the rich and long standing heritage of the Scarlets with this range of eye-catching, classically inspired clothing. This new 'Heritage Range' honours the history of the club that can trace its roots back to 1872.
This red jersey with blue sleeves features a concealed three-button placket, diamond quilt stitch on the back of the neck and proudly has a 'Scarlets est. 1872' cotton drill patch......
"

Compare their website to Cardiff Blues and there is a marked difference.

To all, I would like to emphasise that this is not a Scarlets bash. On the contrary, i'm glad they celebrate their history as all clubs should do.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:33 am

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that the Scarlets have always been a region, before the regional concept was even thought off. We are in an entirely different situation to the other 3 regions.

Llanelli was the only big club anywhere near west Wales, and that hasn't changed.

I think keeping Llanelli's history and incorporating it into the Scarlets region has been a must. It gives the Scarlets fans something to get behind, to believe in and to relate to, and it's clearly starting to work.

Dropping Llanelli from the name was a big boost as well. Whilst people maybe liked them, many thought they were too Llanelli focused. That's changed now, and all for the better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

geoff998rugby wrote:

Because they are supposed to be a regional team - Cardiff should not even be in the name.
Cardiff's failure to reach out to the other teams in their region is a big part of the problem that regional rugby in Wales face.

As to a valley's team having a ground at the head of the valleys - as an outsider that seems like a reasonable compromise. Neutral ground and just as easy, if not easier, for the various valley based teams to get to.

1) If Cardiff Blues dropped the word Cardiff from the name of the team do you think attendances would increase or decrease?

2) A ground at the head of the valleys accommodating a new team - who would fund building this ground and who would support this new entity?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

Come on boys lets be honest Llanelli HAVE ALWAYS been known as the Scarlets and long before Regionalism was even dreamt of.

God sake even the old 9-3 story on Max Boyces album has the lines 'and I went down to Stradey to watch the Scarlets play'.

So suddenly re-branding themselves as the Scarlets doesn't mena a thing BUT I do agree with rugbydreamer to a degree, they have always represented West Wales to a degree as the 'Big' club to support.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that the Scarlets have always been a region, before the regional concept was even thought off. We are in an entirely different situation to the other 3 regions.

Llanelli was the only big club anywhere near west Wales, and that hasn't changed.

I think keeping Llanelli's history and incorporating it into the Scarlets region has been a must. It gives the Scarlets fans something to get behind, to believe in and to relate to, and it's clearly starting to work.

Dropping Llanelli from the name was a big boost as well. Whilst people maybe liked them, many thought they were too Llanelli focused. That's changed now, and all for the better.

The Scarlets have always been a rugby club based in Llanelli, that's all. Regionalism is all in the mind of those who think it means something.

Has dropping the name Llanelli really been a boost? If it has then can it be proved because you could reasonably argue that they may have lost support as a result. I don't know the answer to that. Attendances are better it seems, but this is probably down to having a much better side than in previous years.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm

It's been a boost in a lot of the outlying towns and villages (at least in my area of Carmarthenshire), and I think actually it's been received pretty well in Llanelli (where some fans still go to watch both Llanelli RFC and Scarlets) town istelf.

And regionalism for some does mean something. If more people got behind the regions as they are, and helped create a more stable footing for Welsh rugby, maybe then the introduction of a 5th region could actually be seriously looked at. As it stands though we've got too many people against the regions (which could work well given a chance and some re-branding (the blues and dragons desperately need this) ) and this is hindering the progress of the regions, big style.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Come on boys lets be honest Llanelli HAVE ALWAYS been known as the Scarlets and long before Regionalism was even dreamt of.

God sake even the old 9-3 story on Max Boyces album has the lines 'and I went down to Stradey to watch the Scarlets play'.

So suddenly re-branding themselves as the Scarlets doesn't mena a thing BUT I do agree with rugbydreamer to a degree, they have always represented West Wales to a degree as the 'Big' club to support.

The same as Cardiff were always the big club down south who always, ALWAYS were well supported by people living in towns such as Aberdare, Merthyr, etc etc.
That being said, having a Ponty side in the pro mix would be nice.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm

I kind of like how regional sides have some form of geographical hint in their name. I think they should have some form if reference (IF IT FITS) to where they are from. For me it would help me identify with a team. So maybe a compromise like Gwent Dragons and maybe, just a suggestion, the Glamorgan Blues?

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:

1) If Cardiff Blues dropped the word Cardiff from the name of the team do you think attendances would increase or decrease?

2) A ground at the head of the valleys accommodating a new team - who would fund building this ground and who would support this new entity?

1/ Of itself no but if combined with organizational, development and venue changes in time Yes

2/ If done properly it could be a team all valley teams can support. Money was found for Swansea and Cardiff grounds why not the Valleys as well.

To be honest if the answer to both points is No then that is an admission that regionalism is pointless and Wales might as well go back to Llanelli, Cardiff, Swansea and Newport and stuff the rest

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:17 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:It's been a boost in a lot of the outlying towns and villages (at least in my area of Carmarthenshire), and I think actually it's been received pretty well in Llanelli (where some fans still go to watch both Llanelli RFC and Scarlets) town istelf.

And regionalism for some does mean something. If more people got behind the regions as they are, and helped create a more stable footing for Welsh rugby, maybe then the introduction of a 5th region could actually be seriously looked at. As it stands though we've got too many people against the regions (which could work well given a chance and some re-branding (the blues and dragons desperately need this) ) and this is hindering the progress of the regions, big style.

It appears to me that dropping the name of the town/city from the name of a rugby club is all that regionalism means to some.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:To be honest if the answer to both points is No then that is an admission that regionalism is pointless and Wales might as well go back to Llanelli, Cardiff, Swansea and Newport and stuff the rest

What about Ponty?! Sad

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm

Cardiff Dave, you know perfectly well that there's Llanelli RFC and then there's the Scarlets; you also know that there's Cardiff RFC and then the Blues; Newport RFC... you get the idea. Regional rugby is real. Botched at its inception, yes, but we are where we are and we can either get behind the regions we have or storm off to our rooms and sulk.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:It's been a boost in a lot of the outlying towns and villages (at least in my area of Carmarthenshire), and I think actually it's been received pretty well in Llanelli (where some fans still go to watch both Llanelli RFC and Scarlets) town istelf.

It appears to me that dropping the name of the town/city from the name of a rugby club is all that regionalism means to some.

To some it might but to many others it means a lot, LOT more. Can't even begin to express how much I prefer the Scarlets to just be the Scarlets now and not be just Llanelli. Now I loved supporting Llanelli RFC when I was younger, but I was not from Llanelli and never really felt a strong, strong affinity to the club. I do to the Scarlets. They are so much more than a club town now (always have been to an extent). It's a shame some people are refusing to acknowledge that.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm

I was very sad to see the warriors disbanded. The Rhondda is and always has been a hot bed for rugby. But we need to move on. Old allegiances have to be forgot and we have to look forward.

I dont think Wales is in the economic situation to be able to fund any more rugby than it already does.

Maybe in five years the North Wales Goggs will be up to a decent level, maybe in similar we will be able to add a Rhondda region too.

But whinging about what you don't have, when actually we already have so much is a waste of time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

Interesting and heated debate with some stereotypes flying about .

The Celtic Warriors were a stable sugar daddy (as opposed to an unstable one ) away from becoming established and probably had the strongest playing squad of the newly formed regions.

As far as crowds were concerned the potential was shown by the turn out at the Brewery field for the Wasps Heineken Cup match and that was a Friday evening . However it was all mishandled from the ego of the money guys to the WRU's perceived happiness in getting the 4 regions Moffat wanted through the back door and the distasteful players auction that was held.

One does wonder about an alternative history where for once there had been someone with money in the valleys with the funds of a Cuddy or Peter Thomas but impecuniosity is part of valley history unfortunately and it doesn't end with rugby .Perhaps the WRU might not have bailed out the Scarlets or the Dragons might have gone to the wall instead the feeling being that the WRU would have got their 4 teams somehow or other.Presumably Cardiff could have incorporated Newport or the Ospreys all of West Wales leaving the valleys proper as a region , probably a better population spread as well .

I'm not bitter and I've moved on in my youth I was a Cardiff rfc season ticket holder so no axe to grind there but it doesn't stop me wanting a top class rugby region in a historically deprived rugby hotbed. Personally I don't think the Ponty/Bridgend mixture was a good fit and would prefer totravel to see a new region based in Merthyr , Ebbw Vale whatever but recognise it ain't going to happen.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

would a ponty/North Wales team ever work, half the gaems in north wales half in Ponty?

For me it seams that it could be a good compramise as you'd set up teh team with a north and south acamady south acamably really just a rebranded blues north acamady) and focas the players getting into the new team

RCG Warriors?? just combine RCG1404 and Ponty, with maybe a few other valley clubs. don't give one club the owner ship, instead all proffessional clubs in the are have one vote, and elect a board, the board is responable for the regional team, and all the rugby in the region.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:27 pm

Would this aplease Ponty fans, as the team will play there half the time, and would this aplease the North as they get a team there half the time.

Or would neither feel any affinty to the team?

Ps I'd say it would have to be a totally new team, with new strip, new name, and not in any way connected to RGC1404 or Ponty.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Cardiff Dave, you know perfectly well that there's Llanelli RFC and then there's the Scarlets; you also know that there's Cardiff RFC and then the Blues; Newport RFC... you get the idea. Regional rugby is real. Botched at its inception, yes, but we are where we are and we can either get behind the regions we have or storm off to our rooms and sulk.

I do get it luckless.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

So its settled. A new team is to be created in Brigend.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

1/ Of itself no but if combined with organizational, development and venue changes in time Yes

2/ If done properly it could be a team all valley teams can support. Money was found for Swansea and Cardiff grounds why not the Valleys as well.

To be honest if the answer to both points is No then that is an admission that regionalism is pointless and Wales might as well go back to Llanelli, Cardiff, Swansea and Newport and stuff the rest

1) On the other hand would it be better for Cardiff Blues to drop the word Blues? I'm not saying they should and i'm not looking for an argument. Just wondering what your (and others) opinion is.

2) It would cost ££££££££££'s to set up a brand new entity in a new ground based at the heads of the valleys with no guarantee it would work either, so I doubt anybody would want to invest in that. CCS was built for Cardiff City not for rugby. Best not go into the CCS business actually.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:57 pm

1) of course they could and give up any pretence of being a regional side.
To be hoenst they have already done that. Ponty are supposed to be part of the region and don't feel any identity with the Blues. Can't say I blame them to be honest

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:01 pm

Kingshu wrote:Would this aplease Ponty fans, as the team will play there half the time, and would this aplease the North as they get a team there half the time.

Or would neither feel any affinty to the team?

Ps I'd say it would have to be a totally new team, with new strip, new name, and not in any way connected to RGC1404 or Ponty.

Why should we appease ponty fans? the club and most, not all, supporters turned their back on the warriors before it folded. Now they want everyone to do backflips just for them.

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:1) of course they could and give up any pretence of being a regional side.
To be hoenst they have already done that. Ponty are supposed to be part of the region and don't feel any identity with the Blues. Can't say I blame them to be honest

I don't blame them either and never have. But also, I don't believe that dropping the name Cardiff would result in 1000's of Ponty fans turning up at Cardiff City stadium to watch the Blues.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:I don't believe that dropping the name Cardiff would result in 1000's of Ponty fans turning up at Cardiff City stadium to watch the Blues.

There are plenty of Blues fans who won't go to the Cardiff City Stadium as it is.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:24 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:I don't believe that dropping the name Cardiff would result in 1000's of Ponty fans turning up at Cardiff City stadium to watch the Blues.

There are plenty of Blues fans who won't go to the Cardiff City Stadium as it is.

For what reason?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

They objected to the move from the Arms Park. From what I've heard, there are some who'll travel to away games but not to home games at the CCS.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:They objected to the move from the Arms Park. From what I've heard, there are some who'll travel to away games but not to home games at the CCS.

I believe it based on HEC matches that I've been to there. Dreadful support.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:46 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:They objected to the move from the Arms Park. From what I've heard, there are some who'll travel to away games but not to home games at the CCS.

Very true.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

red_stag wrote:

red_stag;

"Dreadful support"?
I know personally many Cardiff supporters who have shelled out £1000's and £1000's following Cardiff throughout Europe over many, many years, but they refuse to set foot in CCS. Shocking isn't it? Or is it? What do you reckon? Have a bash warts and all.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:14 pm

It's very shocking and all games there have a pretty poor atmosphere, except for the odd derby (not everyone) I mean the region hasn't even got any chants - just the inherited 'Kardiff Kardiff' there are many fans who most live less than 4 miles from their very own region (or superclub) and refuse to go and watch games, and then complain because there's a rubbish atmosphere because it's half empty! and also moan because a region has the audacity to be a little bit different from the club they used to support

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:It's very shocking and all games there have a pretty poor atmosphere, except for the odd derby (not everyone) I mean the region hasn't even got any chants - just the inherited 'Kardiff Kardiff' there are many fans who most live less than 4 miles from their very own region (or superclub) and refuse to go and watch games, and then complain because there's a rubbish atmosphere because it's half empty! and also moan because a region has the audacity to be a little bit different from the club they used to support

It is shocking isn't it and to think I was a Cardiff/Cardiff Blues season ticket holder for more than 10 years near enough not so long ago.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:11 am

Here is an email I received follwing the petiton signing:

Fellow rugby fans,

Thanks for signing the "reform regional rugby" i-petition - over 600
signatures already after just 72 hours!

I want to reassure everyone that this campaign is on behalf of not just
Pontypridd fans but of fans from towns and villages across the Valleys, all
of whom have been disenfranchised by the WRU and regional rugby.

We know there are still unanswered questions: What should a new structure
look like? Could there be a Valleys team? If so, where it would play, what
would it be called and who would own it?

But those are questions that should be answered by the fans and informed by
facts, not dictated by the WRU. That's why we're also conducting an
independent economic evaluation of where and how we could sustain a Valleys
side. And it's why we're using this petition to show the WRU what the fans
really think and to demonstrate the level of passion and demand that exists
in the Valleys.

So can I ask you to forward this email to everyone you know asking them to
join the campaign, starting by signing the petition themselves at:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/reform-regional-rugby/

And, secondly, can I invite you to come to Sardis Rd on the 31st of March
for the Pontypridd-Neath premiership game - even if you're not a fan of
Ponty or Neath but just of Valleys rugby - because after the match the
campaign will be holding a rally in the ground with speakers from the world
of rugby declaring their support for our cause.

Join us, and help take back our game!

Owen Smith
MP for Pontypridd

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:17 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
red_stag wrote:

red_stag;

"Dreadful support"?
I know personally many Cardiff supporters who have shelled out £1000's and £1000's following Cardiff throughout Europe over many, many years, but they refuse to set foot in CCS. Shocking isn't it? Or is it? What do you reckon? Have a bash warts and all.

Im sorry if that offends you but I am apalled at those type of fans. If Cardiff Blues fans won't go to see the Blues play over a stadium they don't derseve a team. By all means let Pontypridd take their place.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

red_stag wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
red_stag wrote:

red_stag;

"Dreadful support"?

Im sorry if that offends you but I am apalled at those type of fans. If Cardiff Blues fans won't go to see the Blues play over a stadium they don't derseve a team. By all means let Pontypridd take their place.

+1

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:26 am

Kingshu wrote:There seams to be a few calls for the regions to be looked at but no plans of how to change it. The main point seams to be that some people want to see a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region brought back. My question is to Welsh fans, mostly those not in the Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC area, would you like to see a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region brought back?

It seams that Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC have both been doing well in developing players and in the Welsh prem and lots of fans in these areas, don't feel that they belong to a region, it is a big market that the WRU are missing out on at regional level.

But if a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region were to be bought back it would mean the WRU funding to the other regions would be decreased to pay for it.

Also reseting up a Bridgend Ravens/Celtic Warriors/new name side would mean that a North Wales region would that even longer to happen (if is ever does).

The idea of it seams to carry pros and cons, I'm sure for fans from this area the pros outweight the cons, but what about fans of other regions?

I see the response is nice and heavy on the details, particularly the details on what benefactors are lining up to invest a fair few million into this club and any potential ground share agreements that have been mooted - as even though it's nice to say it's upto the fans to decide where the team should be based, it's mostly about practicallity and cost - the fans might want a brand new stadium in Blackwood (to pick a place at random) but there may not be the land, the planning permission, the money or the access to make it viable.
Without a financial backer this valleys region is dead in the water regardless of what the WRU says

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:26 am

BTW, last month I went to see Dragons, Blues and Scarlets all play. I was massively impressed by the committment of Parc y Scarlets.

I used to buy into the line about Ospreys being the one true region but Scarlets have it spot on and future looks rosy off the pitch.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:29 am

red_stag wrote:If Cardiff Blues fans won't go to see the Blues play over a stadium they don't derseve a team. By all means let Pontypridd take their place.

110% agree OK

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:30 am

I agree about the good work being done at the Scarlets and at PYS there's such a great atmosphere building down there - Rupert Moon (the Marketing Director) and his team have done wonders - and regardless of what Cardiff Dave says there are a lot of fans from all round the region that come down for games - which is even more impressive when you consider the lack of public transport and the poor roads in comparison to the valleys, Cardiff and even to an extent the Swansea region

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:35 am

If it appalls you then just imagine how it makes me feel. I would be delighted if I only had to travel two hours let alone two miles to get to my nearest region.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:39 am

There are fans in Munster who do need to travel 2-3 hours commuting every time they want to watch a HEC match.

Cork has a larger population than Limerick yet the Cork fans to their credit all turn up to Thomond to support Munster despite a 2 hour drive.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:40 am

All the Cardiff fans I know moan about the stadium and how they wont go down there as its too far out if town and they prefered the Arms Park where you could have beers in Westgate Street and be in the ground 5 mins later bla bla

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:42 am

Its definitely not too far out of town. Its about 15 minutes walk. You would be mad IMO to have to resort to a coach to get there.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 1:05 am

I'm thinking of going to Cardiff RFC, Vs Swansea RFC tomorrow, I want to have another look at Tom Prydie and the Ospreys new signing Stefan Watermeyer.

I'm not sure how people can say the old Cardiff ground is better though, car parking is like £10-£15! Though it is closer to the train station.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next