The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

+28
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pyleboy65
Portnoy
Smirnoffpriest
red_stag
pontylad
maestegmafia
Cari
Steffan
glamorganalun
JayMaster3000
Casartelli
Shifty
BridgendBoyo
offload
Cardiff Dave
wayne
Luckless Pedestrian
Morgannwg
rodders
Jimmy Moz
Feckless Rogue
theskippingpig
Cymroglan
geoff998rugby
bedfordwelsh
XR
Kingshu
32 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it? - Page 2 Empty Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

Post by Kingshu Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

First topic message reminder :

There seams to be a few calls for the regions to be looked at but no plans of how to change it. The main point seams to be that some people want to see a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region brought back. My question is to Welsh fans, mostly those not in the Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC area, would you like to see a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region brought back?

It seams that Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC have both been doing well in developing players and in the Welsh prem and lots of fans in these areas, don't feel that they belong to a region, it is a big market that the WRU are missing out on at regional level.

But if a Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC region were to be bought back it would mean the WRU funding to the other regions would be decreased to pay for it.

Also reseting up a Bridgend Ravens/Celtic Warriors/new name side would mean that a North Wales region would that even longer to happen (if is ever does).

The idea of it seams to carry pros and cons, I'm sure for fans from this area the pros outweight the cons, but what about fans of other regions?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:09 pm

JayMaster3000

You say that we don't need another region is fine when you live so close to four of them but the people of North Wales would not agree with you.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it?

Post by rodders Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

Cymroglan wrote:JayMaster3000

You say that we don't need another region is fine when you live so close to four of them but the people of North Wales would not agree with you.

What big rugby clubs are there in North Wales and where would a proposed region be based?

The other Regions were amalgamations of the old professional clubs, which were struggling to survive financially as professional entities i.e. Neath and Swansea, Newport and Gwent, Cardiff and Pontypridd, Llanelli etc.

Isn't the reason N Wales aren't represented because there was never a professional rugby base there in the first place?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:19 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:At least people like myself who turned up to all the Warriors games tried to make a region work. Unlike Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport fans who just turned up watch a rebranded version of the club they always supported

Are you saying that Ponty fans who turned up to watch the Warriors were not chanting "Ponty, Ponty!" in the early days? Give us a break... A Ponty region named Pontypridd would be another epic fail. And at least those Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport fans are still turning up to try and help the regions (or superclubs if you prefer that term) move forward.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Are you saying that Ponty fans who turned up to watch the Warriors were not chanting "Ponty, Ponty!" in the early days?

Yes. That never happened. Please don't make stuff up

Morgannwg wrote:Give us a break... A Ponty region named Pontypridd would be another epic fail.

On what grounds do you base that on Einstein? The 5000 that turned up on boxing day for a CLUB match maybe?

Morgannwg wrote:And at least those Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport fans are still turning up to try and help the regions (or superclubs if you prefer that term) move forward.

Why wouldn't they turn up? It's been the same as always for them

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

roddersm
There are several rugby clubs in North Wales who all have age grade sides.
You don't need to be a big club to produce players as you well know players these days are targeted at a young age and if they are good enough they are then invited to join the rugby academies.

Isn't the reason N Wales aren't represented because there was never a professional rugby base there in the first place?

That is no excuse to neglect a third of a population of a country of less than three million.
Just because a area has been ignored for over a 100 years does not mean it should continue in that way.
We could have the stadium at Eirias Park http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/rugby-news/2011/11/12/6-5-rugby-centre-of-excellence-opens-at-eirias-park-55578-29763696/

There has already been investments made there and increasing the seating capacity would not be a problem.
http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/tourist-attractions/Sports_Grounds_and_Stadiums/Wales11420.htm

There is no way that the SH nations would ignore a third of their population and we cant afford to do it either,
All the North Wales players have to either move down South or cross the border to England but most of them simply just carry on playing week in week out for their local sides.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

Strange how everybody blames Ponty supporters for the lack of support for the C Warriors, I went to both grounds and the crowds at Ponty were much greater than at Bridgend, I live in Newport/Cwmbran and watched the Dragons v the C Warriors 90% of the crowds came from Newport the ground was deserted. Bridgend has always been poor for support which is surprising considering the talent in the area. When Samual was complaining about the crowds at Ponty he was just justifying his decision and self interest to locate the Warriors at Bridgend, I believe he was under cooking the crowds at Ponty just like the Dragons used to do probably to cut their tax bill. Call me cynical but Ponty supporters had bad press for lack of support but in fairness regional rugby had only just started and Bridgend and Ponty are hardly linked by a transport system e.g., train to Cardiff then change to Bridgend unless you have a car.

I don't tthink Ponty and Bridgend is a good combination unless the ground was at Llantrisant but again this is stupid as we will have 5 regions all just off the M4. It would be more sensible to have a regional ground off the heads of the valley so that this will cover the the valleys and town north the Heads of the valleys starved of top quality rugby. Funding or a franchise will be required not linked to an existing club will be best for all but that is for others to come up with as starting a region from an existing club simply does not work.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

Another sensible post. This time from Cymroglan OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

What were they saying then, this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDH9Jq5AWkQ

5000? WOW. When did a Region last get less than 5000 through their gates? laughing
5000 is about the population of Ponty, who turned up on Boxing Day to watch a game. You expect a Region there to be sustainable? I dont, and it actually wasn't sustainable before either.

It's not the same, however they're still turning up instead of living in the past unlike bitter ponty fans like you. Always comical to see one complaining online now and again though.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I'm perfectly happy supporting the Scarlets (not Llanelli). I much prefer it now we are actually a proper region (which we are - you only have to speak to the fans that turn up to Parc y Scarlets to see wehre they've travelled on, hint, a load more places then just Llanelli!)

THey are doing a superb job these last couple of seasons at really representing Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire. Long may it continue.

and now for my admin hat....

I've noticed the beginnings of personal insults creeping into this thread. By all means argue the point, but please, refrain from attacking each other. Thank you.

Llanelli/Scarlets may attract some travelling support from far-flung villages (most sports teams do) - but not in significant numbers.

14,000 (including no-show season ticket holders) at a Scarlets/Ospreys holiday derby game, for two 'regions' that are supposed to represent everything from Bridgend to Haverfordwest to Aberystwyth(?) is awful.

If 'regionalism' was even a moderate success they would have to take these sort of games to the Millennium, such would be the demand for tickets for a true West v South clash.

Penarth v Glamorgan Wanderers used to attract 14000 at Xmas.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:54 pm

Yes good points Cymroglan but North Wales I suppose is like Connacht in Ireland in that it is not a traditional rugby hot bed and has a lower and more spread out population .

The other areas were good to go when the regions started because there were already professional clubs in place.

For a region to be developed and sustained in NW it probably would need a fair bit of investment and subsidisation from the WRU the way Connacht does by the IRFU.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:54 pm

Morgannwg wrote:What were they saying then, this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDH9Jq5AWkQ

Good film that. Not sure how it's relevant to this though

Morgannwg wrote:5000? WOW. When did a Region last get less than 5000 through their gates? laughing

Hence I said CLUB game Doh

Morgannwg wrote:It's not the same, however they're still turning up instead of living in the past unlike bitter ponty fans like you. Always comical to see one complaining online now and again though.

Ponty fans are turning up to watch their side every week. Hence they have the best attendance figures in the Welsh Premiership. They have moved on. Just because they want their own team in Valley's, it doesn't make people bitter. You clearly don't like Ponty or Valley's rugby so I guess I'm writing this on a hiding to nothing. Shame...

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:55 pm

All the 'regions' are subsidised by the WRU, aren't they?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:57 pm

Jimmy, would you support a valleys region, let's call them
South Wales Valley Buccaneers, based at Ebbw Vale (Eugene Cross Park)? Yes or no?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:02 pm

roddersm Another thing North Wales has in it's favour is that the region would not be in competition with any other major sport.
The television coverage would ensure that sponsorship would not be a problem and with all the investment going on here with the Nuclear and renewable energy companies investment should not pose a problem.

Diolch Steffan Ale

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

JayMaster3000 wrote:
It makes so much sense, I even wrote something on it.
https://www.606v2.com/t20471-a-suggestion-on-restructuring-the-welsh-premiership
I'm actually sorry I missed that topic at the time, it is a very good idea, apart from it will be hard to get regional players involved as the northern hemisphere season, the biggest thing I'd like to see change in the Premiership is the kick off times, if they had the games at 18:30 instead of 14:30 more people would attend because most of us would of finished work by then.

Casartelli wrote:All the 'regions' are subsidised by the WRU, aren't they?
Both, benefactors help to pay for them, and the WRU chips in.

Cymroglan wrote:roddersm Another thing North Wales has in it's favour is that the region would not be in competition with any other major sport.
The television coverage would ensure that sponsorship would not be a problem and with all the investment going on here with the Nuclear and renewable energy companies investment should not pose a problem.
Diolch Steffan Ale
Rugby League died because the northerners are all football mad. I'd like the Gogs to be given a chance, say 4 players loaned from the other Welsh region and development contracts for their entire U20 team, to play in the Welsh Premiership, the Amlin Cup and possibly the LV Cup if the English can be persuaded to let off their 12th placed league team.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

Griff wrote:Jimmy, would you support a valleys region, let's call them
South Wales Valley Buccaneers, based at Ebbw Vale (Eugene Cross Park)? Yes or no?

Yes

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm

Doesn't matter what "some people" want to see brought back. Pontypridd comes under the Blues region (?) and Bridgend comes under Ospreylia. It's not going to change any time soon. Personally, I don't want it to either. If you allow a Ponty/Bridgend region, who'll be next? Where would it stop? It would be unfair if other sides couldn't do the same wouldn't it?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:08 pm

Cymroglan wrote:roddersm Another thing North Wales has in it's favour is that the region would not be in competition with any other major sport.

Diolch Steffan Ale

Isn't Soccer big there? The RL team the Crusadors also were not able to make a go of things even with Afie playing for them to pull in the crowds. I hope you are right though because it isn't right that N.Wales aren't represented.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:11 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Diolch Steffan Ale

Croeso. Iv stayed away from this debate as I normally just post on boxing but having read some of this its only right that North Wales gets some kind of region

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

roddersm wrote:Isn't Soccer big there? The RL team the Crusadors also were not able to make a go of things even with Afie playing for them to pull in the crowds. I hope you are right though because it isn't right that N.Wales aren't represented.

That's my thinking but the Gogs are based in Colwyn Bay the second biggest town in North wales NOT Wrexham, so at least rugby Union could thrive there. Wrexham already has a football and rugby league team so competing 3 ways with 2 established entities is a loser.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

OK Love your boxing posts Steffan!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:15 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:
BridgendBoyo wrote:Ponty fans had a chance a region, turns out they didnt really want one

It was the first year with lots of teething problems. Insult removed Had the Warriors been given more time they would have worked. Insult removed - KRD

I was a Warriors fan, only missed two home games. Were they disbanded to soon, absolutely, of course they were, I believe they would have been successful. But the fact is ponty pulled out of the region, not Bridgend. They couldnt get all they wanted. A fifth region wnt happen south wales, north wales should get one.

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:16 pm

roddersm wrote: OK Love your boxing posts Steffan!

Cheers fella. Glad someone does for a change Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

RL has moved all over Wales and like most Union fans I don't watch it and as far as I'm aware nobody from my club went to watch them either so RL had had little hope of ever becoming a success here.
Yes they have football here just like you would anywhere else but there are no full time pro sides here.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:24 pm

Casartelli wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:I'm perfectly happy supporting the Scarlets (not Llanelli). I much prefer it now we are actually a proper region (which we are - you only have to speak to the fans that turn up to Parc y Scarlets to see wehre they've travelled on, hint, a load more places then just Llanelli!)

THey are doing a superb job these last couple of seasons at really representing Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire. Long may it continue.

I've noticed the beginnings of personal insults creeping into this thread. By all means argue the point, but please, refrain from attacking each other. Thank you.

Llanelli/Scarlets may attract some travelling support from far-flung villages (most sports teams do) - but not in significant numbers.

14,000 (including no-show season ticket holders) at a Scarlets/Ospreys holiday derby game, for two 'regions' that are supposed to represent everything from Bridgend to Haverfordwest to Aberystwyth(?) is awful.

If 'regionalism' was even a moderate success they would have to take these sort of games to the Millennium, such would be the demand for tickets for a true West v South clash.

I'm sorry, but how on earth is a near sell out crowd, awful? Headscratch

Considering what attendances have been like the last couple of seasons, it's blydi well fantastic.

Also it's more than just supporters from the far flung villages taht attend. We regularly get 3+ bus loads of supporters from Aberystwyth, and that's just Aber, not taking into account some of the other towns, that would suggest to me that significant numbers come from outside the town of Llanelli. The Scarlets as a region face a much tougher task of brining in home supporters than the other regions due to logistics and population density in said region (it takes 2hrs+ to get to Llanelli from Aberystwyth). The fact that we have the best attendace records so far this season shows that we are doing something right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:24 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:

Yes

Excellent, good on you Jimmy. Are you from Ponty too?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

Griff wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:

Yes

Excellent, good on you Jimmy. Are you from Ponty too?

From Cork originally but yes settled in Pontypridd (mothers side is from here anyway) for a good few years now and one of the locals. Originally came here to study at University of Glamorgan where my love affair with Ponty rugby began but now my mother and co are back I have stayed here plus living with a local girl so all is good.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:43 pm

Well Jimmy, if they do get a valleys region but decide to base it elsewhere I hope that more Ponty fans are willing to travel like you. Regions need travelling fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:44 pm

Cymroglan wrote:RL has moved all over Wales and like most Union fans I don't watch it and as far as I'm aware nobody from my club went to watch them either so RL had had little hope of ever becoming a success here.
Yes they have football here just like you would anywhere else but there are no full time pro sides here.
Would you travel from Anglesey to Colwyn Bay to watch the Gogs if they joined the Rabo direct league?
I guess were talking 45-60 mins drive for you?
Iv'e heard they have only had about 700 supporters for their games in previous years, though Colwyn Bay is close to a few other largeish towns so maybe they could fill the 6,00 stadium at some point if the quality of players and opposition was there.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:47 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

5000? WOW. When did a Region last get less than 5000 through their gates? laughing

On two occasions this season Cardiff Blues attracted less than 5000;

Sun 11 Sept 2011 - Cardiff Blues v Treviso - attendance 4847 (official)
Thurs 24 Nov 2011 - Cardiff Blues v Aironi - attendance 4557 (official and regional clubs day so kids got in for free I believe)

http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/fixtures_and_results.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

offload wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

How can you suggest that Cardiff Blues fans are arrogant by chanting "Cardiff" at Cardiff Blues games?

Easily, I just did.
All the "regions" were the same at the start - the product of a flawed introduction. We ended up with a few super clubs with professional players. Regions only in name. Ten years on some have begun to embrace regionalism understanding the future of Welsh professional rugby. Chant Blues at a Blues game and Cardiff at a Cardiff RFC game. Simple concept really. Pitty so many "Blues" fans can't understand.

Seriously, what would not chanting "Cardiff" at Cardiff Blues games achieve?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

Griff wrote:Well Jimmy, if they do get a valleys region but decide to base it elsewhere I hope that more Ponty fans are willing to travel like you. Regions need travelling fans.

Agreed mate. Ponty fans aren't perfect but it makes me laugh when clowns from Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport have a go when they never even had to embrace a region just follow the same rebranded club.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

It's not as if the four regions are setting the World on fire, and people want a fifth? If you support Ponty then support them. Good for you. Ponty is part of the Cardiff region. If you want to see the best players from your area then go and watch Cardiff Blues. They're your region too. It's really that simple.

How is staying at home and moaning about the word "Cardiff" any good to Welsh rugby? It seems so small minded. Why doesn't everyone just grow up and enjoy the rugby. It's only a game lads.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:RL has moved all over Wales and like most Union fans I don't watch it and as far as I'm aware nobody from my club went to watch them either so RL had had little hope of ever becoming a success here.
Would you travel from Anglesey to Colwyn Bay to watch the Gogs if they joined the Rabo direct league?
I guess were talking 45-60 mins drive for you?
Iv'e heard they have only had about 700 supporters for their games in previous years, though Colwyn Bay is close to a few other largeish towns so maybe they could fill the 6,00 stadium at some point if the quality of players and opposition was there.

Yes of course I would as I already travel down South at least twice a month..If it's just a 40 min drive it would need a major disaster for me not to be there week in week out home and away.
700 is a very good crowd at a amateur match.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:It's not as if the four regions are setting the World on fire, and people want a fifth? If you support Ponty then support them. Good for you. Ponty is part of the Cardiff region. If you want to see the best players from your area then go and watch Cardiff Blues. They're your region too. It's really that simple.

How is staying at home and moaning about the word "Cardiff" any good to Welsh rugby? It seems so small minded. Why doesn't everyone just grow up and enjoy the rugby. It's only a game lads.

Would you be happy if the fans around you were chanting Dublin Dublin.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:If you support Ponty then support them. Good for you.

Agree with this bit OK

Feckless Rogue wrote:Ponty is part of the Cardiff region. They're your region too. It's really that simple.

Kind of like saying that because the Tories are in power you should accept it and vote for them as it's that simple

Feckless Rogue wrote:How is staying at home and moaning about the word "Cardiff" any good to Welsh rugby? It seems so small minded. Why doesn't everyone just grow up and enjoy the rugby. It's only a game lads.

It's a bit like asking an Man City fan to support Man Utd as it's only football. Not really small minded. And I don't stay at home, I watch Ponty

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

I'm sorry, but how on earth is a near sell out crowd, awful? Headscratch

Considering what attendances have been like the last couple of seasons, it's blydi well fantastic.

Also it's more than just supporters from the far flung villages taht attend. We regularly get 3+ bus loads of supporters from Aberystwyth, and that's just Aber, not taking into account some of the other towns, that would suggest to me that significant numbers come from outside the town of Llanelli. The Scarlets as a region face a much tougher task of brining in home supporters than the other regions due to logistics and population density in said region (it takes 2hrs+ to get to Llanelli from Aberystwyth). The fact that we have the best attendace records so far this season shows that we are doing something right.

Depends on your point of view. 14,000 for Llanelli v. Swansea is a decent crowd.

But if this is supposed to be regional - then this was essentially West v South - and a true regional derby representing half of Wales should be able to attract at least double that to a fixture at the Millenn.

But it's superclubs, not regions, less and less people care - and being best of a bad bunch in terms of attendance is small comfort.

It's not a dig at any one team in particular - but standards won't improve until there are true regions (unless you subscribe to the 'when we get a playmaker/blindside with plenty of dog/tighthead' theories that have been banded around for the last decade).

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:It's not as if the four regions are setting the World on fire, and people want a fifth? If you support Ponty then support them. Good for you. Ponty is part of the Cardiff region. If you want to see the best players from your area then go and watch Cardiff Blues. They're your region too. It's really that simple.

I think the issue with the Valleys team is a non starter, but North Wales IS a good idea, IF Wales had the money to do it properly.
Wales only use the South, and South East part of Wales, the entire areas of the extreme West, and the whole of Mid and north Wales are ignored.
Ireland pretty much uses their entire country for it's rugby, and Wales probably uses less than a third.
To clarity look at the map of Wales, the black dots represent the 4 Welsh "regions".
Pontypridd RFC and Bridgend RFC a new region, would you support it? - Page 2 30jmdxx
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

Casartelli wrote:All the 'regions' are subsidised by the WRU, aren't they?

I'm of the understanding that most of the £6m from the WRU shared out between the 4 clubs/regions, is compensation for when international players are on team Wales duty. Something like that.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

Alright, I get it. I can see how Cardiff Blues is basically seen as Cardiff RFC. And I can see how you couldn't support your rivals. It was such a stupid idea to have these super clubs instead of real regions. I don't think a fifth region is feasible. A major rebranding of certain regions could be a solution. How about the Cardiff Warriors, with a yellow and green strip. Brazil style. The new real region could openly celebrate the history of both ponty and cardiff.

Or maybe you should just support the Ospreys and watch them on telly.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Alright, I get it. I can see how Cardiff Blues is basically seen as Cardiff RFC. And I can see how you couldn't support your rivals. It was such a stupid idea to have these super clubs instead of real regions. I don't think a fifth region is feasible. A major rebranding of certain regions could be a solution. How about the Cardiff Warriors, with a yellow and green strip. Brazil style. The new real region could openly celebrate the history of both ponty and cardiff.

Or maybe you should just support the Ospreys and watch them on telly.

Basically, Cardiff and Llanelli were allowed to stand alone, neither club has ever pretended to be anything but themselves to be fair. Llanelli got it because they promised to develop the game in West, Mid and north Wales, but like any politician you promise the world and don;t do anything to keep it.

Swansea were bankrupt at the time of the regions, with almost no players, so Neath took the lead, but the owner of Neath (Mike Cuddy) moved the team to Swansea ASAP. When the Liberty was being built. The Ospreys worked well until the 2 former owners had a legal argument and dragged the issue to an ospreys V Neath problem, instead of keeping it in the courts.

Pontypridd and Bridgend were shotgunned together to form the Celtic Warriors, but when the Bridgend Owner (Leighton Samuel) asked how Pontypridd were going to pay their half, they had no answer, so Pontypridd were not really included. For all Ponty's posturing those 5k attendences and a sponsorship deal with just rentals just didn't cut it in 2003! god help them with 2011 wages!

Newport and Ebbw Vale were also put together as Gwent teams but Ebbw Vale could offer no Money so Tony Brown (Newport owner) took control.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:00 pm

Sorry Alyn, do you want to back up your claim that the Scarlets are not developing the game in mid and west Wales? (we were having a go at the North but the WRU decided to then set up RGC up there)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

Nobody seriously expected the Scarlets to take in North Wales it was a logistical nightmare and the only reason the WRU asked them to do it was that the WRU could pretend that they were interested in developing rugby up here.
Scarlets did try but it's like asking South Wales fans to have a affinity with a side based in Bangor or Wrexham

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Sorry Alyn, do you want to back up your claim that the Scarlets are not developing the game in mid and west Wales? (we were having a go at the North but the WRU decided to then set up RGC up there)

Sure the Ospreys play their Lv games in bridgend, do the scarlets play their in parc erias and the race course ground?

Why is it that more RGC1404 academy players go into rugby league and english rugby union academies than the scarlets academy?

I think the WRU should of forced the Scarlets Vs Blues and Ospreys Vs Dragons Lv games up to North Wales to promote the game up there.
they should also play 1 international up there each season, a tuesday night game in the november series maybe, on the weekend we play the Tier B nation?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

Basically, Cardiff and Llanelli were allowed to stand alone, neither club has ever pretended to be anything but themselves to be fair. Llanelli got it because they promised to develop the game in West, Mid and north Wales, but like any politician you promise the world and don;t do anything to keep it.

Swansea were bankrupt at the time of the regions, with almost no players, so Neath took the lead, but the owner of Neath (Mike Cuddy) moved the team to Swansea ASAP. When the Liberty was being built. The Ospreys worked well until the 2 former owners had a legal argument and dragged the issue to an ospreys V Neath problem, instead of keeping it in the courts.

Pontypridd and Bridgend were shotgunned together to form the Celtic Warriors, but when the Bridgend Owner (Leighton Samuel) asked how Pontypridd were going to pay their half, they had no answer, so Pontypridd were not really included. For all Ponty's posturing those 5k attendences and a sponsorship deal with just rentals just didn't cut it in 2003! god help them with 2011 wages!

Newport and Ebbw Vale were also put together as Gwent teams but Ebbw Vale could offer no Money so Tony Brown (Newport owner) took control.

A very good summary Alyn.
I remember watching tv at the time and the camera was showing Tony Brown being refused entry to a ground.
Just googled it, Against Ebbw Vale it was. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/celtic/1875586.stm
Crazy days and they still are unfortunately. This thread alone proves it.

Just to add and if I remember correctly, the original Cardiff Blues "region" was basically the city boundary, but after the demise of the Celtic Warriors, battle lines were redrawn and it ballooned to incorporate the valleys and beyond meaning Ponty got thrown in with Cardiff Blues whether fans liked it or not. If I had been a Ponty or Warriors fan back then I would've been mightily cheesed off to say the least. In fact I was pretty cheesed off in the first place with losing Cardiff v Ponty pro fixtures.
I should mention that I signed the Save the Celtic Warriors online petition 3 times actually, each under a different name, but a fat lot of could it did.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:20 pm

JayMaster3000 wrote:My girlfriend is from Llantrisant and she HATES Cardiff, though they are closest and we 'live' in their region.

Valley mindedness.

They'll hate us and call us all the names under the sun...yet they all support cardiff city Laugh

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:48 pm

Regional rugby is working fine in Wales, the two stand alone clubs Llanelli and Cardiff are bust, how long can they go on, most companies would have called in the receivers by now? What happen's when P Thomas pops his clogs, he does not donate money to his club he supplies loans (Cardiff)? I suspect Llanelli will try to sell their ground for houses and move on, the problem is they don't own it this time (WRU to the rescue again in the not too distant future). Going off the subject, the last Scarlets game against the Ospreys, the pitch is a disgrace, I heard they employed the cook to look after the pitch. I watched Swansea V Aston Villa and the pitch was outstanding, the Scarlets groundsman should take lessons from the Liberty.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm

gcBlues wrote:Valley mindedness.

And it's a snobby attitude like that which is the very reason people hate you all over Wales

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:44 am

gcBlues wrote:
JayMaster3000 wrote:My girlfriend is from Llantrisant and she HATES Cardiff, though they are closest and we 'live' in their region.

Valley mindedness.

They'll hate us and call us all the names under the sun...yet they all support cardiff city Laugh

Ha ha. The only thing she hates more than Cardiff is football!!

Griff wrote:Good post Jaymaster. Not hard to argue with that. If they don't move the pro game to summer then I'd be very happy to have the welsh prem move to summer, and it could revive the league, revive the rivalries, increase welsh prem attendances, etc. Why not give it a go. It's not like they'd have to get the agreement with other unions, etc. What's the worst that could happen?

AlynDavies wrote:
JayMaster3000 wrote:
It makes so much sense, I even wrote something on it.
https://www.606v2.com/t20471-a-suggestion-on-restructuring-the-welsh-premiership
I'm actually sorry I missed that topic at the time, it is a very good idea, apart from it will be hard to get regional players involved as the northern hemisphere season, the biggest thing I'd like to see change in the Premiership is the kick off times, if they had the games at 18:30 instead of 14:30 more people would attend because most of us would of finished work by then.

I think we should start a petition or start emailing WRU staff and journalists. Another point is that at least the regions and WP teams will not have to compete with attendances. Perhaps the regions and WP could put on a special offer for buying both season tickets.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:13 am

Jimmy Moz wrote:At least people like myself who turned up to all the Warriors games tried to make a region work. Unlike Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport fans who just turned up watch a rebranded version of the club they always supported

I certainly wasn't a Newport fan previously ta, I watched Ebbw Vale (as my mates played fly half and flanker) and Keys, but not Newport.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next