The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offense Vs. Defense (or, in the UK: Offence Vs. Defence)

+5
dancingweeman
TM Moot
Colan (niner)
Statto00
TBolt63
9 posters

Go down

Offense Vs. Defense (or, in the UK: Offence Vs. Defence) Empty Offense Vs. Defense (or, in the UK: Offence Vs. Defence)

Post by TBolt63 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:54 pm

Two of this weekend's match-ups pit teams with great offenses and a not-so-great defenses (the Saints & the Patriots) against teams with good defenses and not-so-great offenses (the 49ers and the Broncos). The old adage, "Offense wins games but defense wins championships" will be put to the test.

I predict one of these games will be won by the great offensive team and the other will be won by the team with the good defense, although I'm not sure which is which (although, as a Saints fan, I have a strong preference!).

Any thoughts?
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Offense Vs. Defense (or, in the UK: Offence Vs. Defence) Empty Re: Offense Vs. Defense (or, in the UK: Offence Vs. Defence)

Post by Statto00 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

TBolt63 wrote:not-so-great offenses (the Broncos)
A not so great offense that racked up 447 yards on the league's #1 D, including 316 passing yards? Erm

Statto00

Back to top Go down

Offense Vs. Defense (or, in the UK: Offence Vs. Defence) Empty Re: Offense Vs. Defense (or, in the UK: Offence Vs. Defence)

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

the niners will win and broncos will lose, its a well known fact the saints are amazing on offense but I think the niners are the only team that can combat that. I just hope there isnt't dozens of no-calls against the saints as they get away with murder compared to other teams

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

I think that old adage isn't valid anymore, which is a shame in some ways..

there's a good chance that the SB could be Packers v Patriots (AFC & NFC top seeds), iirc they had stastically the worst defences (on yards allowed)

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

Statto00 wrote:
TBolt63 wrote:not-so-great offenses (the Broncos)
A not so great offense that racked up 447 yards on the league's #1 D, including 316 passing yards? Erm

True, but one good game a great offense does not make.

I don't think the great defenses will beat the great offenses this year. As good as the 9ers/Ravens Ds have been, they're going up against 3 future HOF QBs in Brady, Rodgers and Brees. I think some of the great defenses of old would struggle to stop them with the weapons they've got and with the changes in rules now.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyforger Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

TM Moot wrote:
there's a good chance that the SB could be Packers v Patriots (AFC & NFC top seeds), iirc they had stastically the worst defences (on yards allowed)

But aren't they among the better defenses in terms of points allowed? Give up all the yards you want, if you don't let them in the end zone is it such a big deal?

Skyforger

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

saints have never won a road play-of game and we all know what happened the last time the saints played an NFC west team in the play-offs Wink
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:30 pm

Be interesting to see how the Broncos do this 2nd time around. On a side note, Collin Cowherd was saying something about the first game was the most bet on NFL game of the year and had over a billion dollars in worldwide betting action. Wonder what this one will generate?

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Fri 13 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

Skyforger wrote:
TM Moot wrote:

But aren't they among the better defenses in terms of points allowed? Give up all the yards you want, if you don't let them in the end zone is it such a big deal?

had to look it up, 14th and 18th on Pts allowed

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 13 Jan 2012, 6:20 pm

cherriesfan wrote:saints have never won a road play-of game and we all know what happened the last time the saints played an NFC west team in the play-offs Wink

I think all that needs to be said is the Saints "tasted the rainbow"

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

Offense involves building something. Defense amounts to tearing something down ... destroying it ... breaking it. We all know it is easier to tear down than to build up, to break something than to fix it.
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm

Thomond wrote:
cherriesfan wrote:saints have never won a road play-of game and we all know what happened the last time the saints played an NFC west team in the play-offs Wink

I think all that needs to be said is the Saints "tasted the rainbow"
in tracyporter case i think i was jammed down his throat!!!!!
Beast Mode Taste the rainbow
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

My prediction at the top of this thread came true, but not in the way I had hoped. Doh
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down