The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets discuss the Ali argument!

4 posters

Go down

Lets discuss the Ali argument! Empty Lets discuss the Ali argument!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 15 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

It has become a current trend for some people to hate on Ali for his beliefs and treatment of Frazier. I think it wise that we acknowledge that Ali's achievements in the ring cannot be questioned as he showed all the qualities that we admire in a fighter. Talent, skill, wisdom, and heart.

People are happy to declare Ali as a great boxer but a terrible human being. I would urge those who believe this to take into account the period that Ali was competing. Ali became heavyweight champion at a very turbulent time in America and the world. In the states there was the so called civil rights movement (a term coined by the American government to gloss over the fact that Afro - Americans were fighting for HUMAN RIGHTS but America cannot be seen to have a HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE), there was protests in the streets against the Vietnam war and people power was becoming more and more acceptable to the masses.

Anyone who lived through the 60's would remember that it was more then just four Liverpudlian rock stars, hippies or the summer of love. A lot was going on in that 1 decade but as an Afro American it was a time of great change and the relationship between them and "THE MAN" had reached boiling point. There were 2 voices that arose from the communities of Afro Americans that spoke for them. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. King wanted a peaceful uprising heavily influenced by the church and consisting of marching and picking up support where they could. Malcolm X wanted equal rights NOW and saw it as his human right to be respected as anybody else why should he beg for it? its his right. Ali like many other black people opted to adopt the Malcolm X and nation of Islam stance.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Lets discuss the Ali argument! Empty Re: Lets discuss the Ali argument!

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 15 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

Pandoras box mate

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 15 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

I think its just a matter of researching history to understand Ali's beliefs. He was not a racist.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 15 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

Ali had the profile to get away with it, coupled with the gentlemanly behaviour of men like Moore, Armstrong, Louis, Charles, the BMR, Patterson, Frazier and a whole host of black american champions it makes him look even worse. Can't fault the man as a fighter but think he gets a free pass outside of it to some degree but as a boxing fan i'm not all that concerned about his ties to the NOI or Malcolm X, his boxing did the only talking that mattered.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 15 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

He was and he wasn't. Some things are reasonable at the time but abhorrent well after the fact. Ali changed his views with the times and grew into the man loved by the world and its mother. I'm just saying this has been debated before and turned into a vitriolic and racist thread with abuse from both sides. Best leave it shut.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm

It's a noble cause, ONETWO, but it's unlikely to bring closure to a very volatile and polarising issue. This very subject spawned some nasty stuff a couple of weeks ago and began to on a related thread a couple of days ago.

I'm not criticising you, Buddy, but with Ali's 70th. birthday just two days away I can't help feeling that maybe this subject would be best addressed after that.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

No problem windy if you want to lock it until after then thats fine.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

That's very good of you, ONETWO, and I appreciate your understanding.

I'll do as you say but, if I should forget to unlock it after 17th. January, please remind me. I certainly would never wish to curb your right to present an article.

Thanks again.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down