The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Title fights

5 posters

Go down

World Title fights Empty World Title fights

Post by azania Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:16 pm

Gone are the days when a world champion defended his title in far away countries.

Just watching ITV4 about Ali. A world title fight in Zaire. Those guys had title fights in Malaysia, Philippines, Jamaica, Bahamas. Practically in all countries.

Why on earth cant that happen now. Take boxing back to the people. Why do major fights have to be in USA? Why Vegas? Why not have a Title fight in Ghana or Bhutan?

I've read that Herol Graham went to defend his commonwealth title in Nigeria (or Ghana). Jim Watt also went to west africa. Gone are the days.

azania

Back to top Go down

World Title fights Empty Re: World Title fights

Post by Demon Racer Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:23 pm

Vegas is a tax haven?

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:25 pm

Demon Racer wrote:Vegas is a tax haven?

A lot of tax dodgers live there.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

The fights go where the money is. Marcos paid a fotune for the Thriller, as I remember. As India and China do not have a major presence in boxing, they are unlikely to stump up that sort of cash soon

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

If the places fronted up the money then I think it would still happen. I see Dhubai is now being increasingly mentioned as a possible location for a big fight as they are willing to put the money into it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:22 pm

agree with az here fights should be worldwide. Simply fighters only think about one thing in this day and age 'money', them places with all due respect don't have the same prestige as e.g. Vegas, Germany or UK.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

PPVxHOTTY wrote:agree with az here fights should be worldwide. Simply fighters only think about one thing in this day and age 'money', them places with all due respect don't have the same prestige as e.g. Vegas, Germany or UK.

Thats not really a new phenomenon though. Fighters have only looked for the money. In the past other countries were willing to go to extreme lengths and garauntee huge money to host prestiguos bouts. With boxing less mainstream now the interest and prestige in hosting the bouts isnt there enough.

The current heavyweight champions have fought in 7 or 8 countries aswell which isnt bad going.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

Also Manos I blame the mickey mouse alphabet belts, for me they're destroying the sport of boxing, like you say 'current' heavyweight champions. Now id like to know worldwide how many 'different' belts are being contested for, barring the Klitchkos who fight in Germany, correct me if im wrong they hold 3/4 belts? now if their is 6/7 other countries showing fights, how many of them countries are using these alphabet pointless belts to sell fights?

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

I remember when the world stood still for a HW title fight. Everyone and their dog knew who the HW champ was. When the champ fought, it was an event. Now its just another fight shown on eurosport2.

Why? Cable TV? Competition from other sports? No American icon on top of the tree? Too many belts that no-one knows who the champ is?

Does someone from Bulawayo know who the HW champion is?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:43 pm

Trust me guys its all these alphabet belts that are destroying the sport e.g. Manny, most of the boxing world believe he is like 7/8 weight champ. If thats the case then Henry Armstrong was 12/13 weight champ, my point is Manny is being given credit for something which is not really true, many fighters do this not just Manny and for me this is cheating history.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

azania wrote:I remember when the world stood still for a HW title fight. Everyone and their dog knew who the HW champ was. When the champ fought, it was an event. Now its just another fight shown on eurosport2.

Why? Cable TV? Competition from other sports? No American icon on top of the tree? Too many belts that no-one knows who the champ is?

All of the above, plus alot of other reasons aswell, especially competition from other sports/entertainment. I actually think the biggest killer has been ppv and taking boxing of mainstream or even subscribed tv. Its had the effect of making the sport niche. Even all the belts as annoying as it is, would not be as critical problem if boxing was mainstream.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:I remember when the world stood still for a HW title fight. Everyone and their dog knew who the HW champ was. When the champ fought, it was an event. Now its just another fight shown on eurosport2.

All of the above, plus alot of other reasons aswell, especially competition from other sports/entertainment. I actually think the biggest killer has been ppv and taking boxing of mainstream or even subscribed tv. Its had the effect of making the sport niche. Even all the belts as annoying as it is, would not be as critical problem if boxing was mainstream.

I dont really buy the competiton from other sports arguments. Football was always popular here. In USA, gridiron, B-ball, hockey and baseball were all popular. Nascar for the trailer trash southern boys.

PPV has done it. Made millions for a few but deprived most fans.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm

azania wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

I dont really buy the competiton from other sports arguments. Football was always popular here. In USA, gridiron, B-ball, hockey and baseball were all popular. Nascar for the trailer trash southern boys.

PPV has done it. Made millions for a few but deprived most fans.

Its competition from everything and the way tv is now. Back in the 70s/80s people had tv with 4/5 stations. Boxing was mainstream and big fights on tv. Even people that werent massive boxing fans would tune in alot of the time simply because thats what was on. It was the same with snooker in its heydays in the 80s in Britain. Nowadays theres dvd players, playstations, tvs with hundreds of stations with every kind of program, movies, prerecord functions etc. The choice is unbelievable. Football fans in the 70s and 80s had to sit around for match of day in the evening. Nowadays there is football all over the tv any minute of the day with the ability to record or go interactive etc Boxing has been pushed to the side massively.

Even in the 90s the reason guys like Eubank, Bruno, Benn etc were household names was simply because they were on the regular tv so much. Even middle aged women and grannies knew who they were without being boxing fans at all.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down