The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Least amount of Fights to a World Title

+17
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
sugarrayb
swedish chef
Imperial Ghosty
captain carrantuohil
azania
88Chris05
zx1234
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
shenglong1983
HumanWindmill
DoubleD22
Daz
Soldier_Of_Fortune
21 posters

Go down

Least amount of Fights to a World Title  Empty Least amount of Fights to a World Title

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 23 May 2011, 4:22 pm

Just curious as I dont know myself but who has won World title in the least amount of fights. Come across this guy today and he won it in his 7th fight:

Kazuto Ioka
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=483786&cat=boxer

Any better or around this?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Least amount of Fights to a World Title  Empty Re: Least amount of Fights to a World Title

Post by Daz Mon 23 May 2011, 4:25 pm

Dont think anyone will beat that! I think Holyfield got his shot around his 11th fight which is very early!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Least amount of Fights to a World Title  Empty Re: Least amount of Fights to a World Title

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 23 May 2011, 4:28 pm

7th fight!

Yep highly doubt anyone has it quicker than that to be honest Solider, good find!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 4:31 pm

Saensak Muangsurin did it in three fights.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Mon 23 May 2011, 4:32 pm

Rigondeaux won teh WBA interim belt after 7 fights, and is looking to win the full WBA title in 9?

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=492989&cat=boxer

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 23 May 2011, 4:32 pm

3 fights!

thats crazy!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 4:34 pm

DoubleD22 wrote:3 fights!

thats crazy!

Certainly is, DoubleD.

It wasn't a ' Mickey Mouse ' title, either, but the WBC lightwelter title.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 23 May 2011, 4:35 pm

Good going! do you know if he was champion for long windy?

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 23 May 2011, 4:37 pm

Shumenov won his 10th fight I think and was a rematch which he lost the first in, so had a sho tin his 9th fight!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 23 May 2011, 4:38 pm

There was one guy who debuted in a world title fight, but he lost.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 4:39 pm

DoubleD22 wrote:Good going! do you know if he was champion for long windy?

I had to look it up, DoubleD, but he lost it in his second defence after a year as champ.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 4:40 pm

Union Cane wrote:There was one guy who debuted in a world title fight, but he lost.

Pete Rademacher, Union. Challenged Patterson for the heavy title and dropped him before being stopped himself.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 23 May 2011, 4:42 pm

Cheers for that Windy not bad for your 3rd fight.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 23 May 2011, 4:43 pm

Cheers Windy.

Wasn't there another guy whose manager fabricated his record to get him a title shot?

I vaguely remember it from the Pass the Parcel Quiz thread...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 23 May 2011, 4:44 pm

Sorry guys. Cant see your reply as am in work and takes about half an hour to update but can see some.

3 fights is very impressive. I think he had 10 world title fights in 20 fight career!

Is he in the boxing hall of fame?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Mon 23 May 2011, 4:44 pm

pete rademacher

he was the guy who got a shot on his debut vs floyd patterson but tbf that time in between marciano and clay where the scene was quite poor and rademacher won an olympic gold

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 23 May 2011, 4:45 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Union Cane wrote:There was one guy who debuted in a world title fight, but he lost.

Pete Rademacher, Union. Challenged Patterson for the heavy title and dropped him before being stopped himself.

One or two other less heralded cases of this happening too, Union. Jack Skelly challenged George Dixon for the Featherweight title in his first bout. In 1975, Rafael Lovera lost in an attempt to win Luis Estaba's Light-Flyweight title in his first fight; however, it wasn't discovered that this was his first bout until afterwards, as Lovera's manager had totally made up and impressive-looking record which was enough for the WBC to install him as number one contender in what was, at the time, basically a brand new division.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 4:45 pm

You're welcome, fellas.

Union, you've got me on that one. I have the vaguest recollection, ( like you, from the quiz, ) but I haven't the foggiest idea who it was.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 4:45 pm

Thanks, Chris.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 23 May 2011, 4:47 pm

That's the one Chris, cheers.

Good knowledge!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 May 2011, 5:27 pm

Sot Chitalada did it in 3. Davey Moore did it in 7.

The Olympic champ who challenged Patterson (and decked him) fought for the HW title on his debut.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 23 May 2011, 5:50 pm

Sot Chitalada actually contested his first world title in his fifth fight and narrowly lost to the great Jung Koo Chang. Three fights later, he had moved up a weight and won his first world title against the pretty useful Gabriel Bernal. Not too likely that Muangsurin's record will ever be eclipsed, I wouldn't think.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 23 May 2011, 5:52 pm

I think Fenech won his first world belt in his seventh fight or so as well. Leon Spinks might have been having about his eighth fight when beating Ali.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 5:52 pm

Veeraphol Sahaprom won a title in only his 4th fight, was originally billed as his 3rd fight but blah blah blah turned out to be his 4th

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by swedish chef Mon 23 May 2011, 6:02 pm

i just checked muagsurins record and noticed a fighter called francisco moreno, he only had 3 fights before challengeing him for the WBC title, and 2 of those were defeats!

swedish chef

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarrayb Mon 23 May 2011, 9:24 pm

Current WBA interim champ Guillermo Rigondeaux picked up the super bantum strap in his 7th contest, which is still a fair effort!

Was against the guy who Bernard Dunne had a classic with Ricardo Cordoba

sugarrayb

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 May 2011, 10:05 pm

sugarrayb wrote:Current WBA interim champ Guillermo Rigondeaux picked up the super bantum strap in his 7th contest, which is still a fair effort!

Was against the guy who Bernard Dunne had a classic with Ricardo Cordoba

Rigondeaux was fast tracked because he was 30 when he turned pro. He had an excellent amateur career as well their would have been no point in holding him back.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Tue 24 May 2011, 8:54 am

Grat point about Rigondeaux lads - if only I had though of him first!

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 May 2011, 9:08 am

Sot chitalada.......What a fighter..Out of all the Oriental fighters I probably saw more of his fights than anybody else...wbc fly if I remember...

Santos Laciar too...........

Seemed like a gentleman ...was going to offer him but the experts seemed to have offered him already......

The orientals do seem to get shots early...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 24 May 2011, 11:51 am

Leon Spinks defeated Muhammed Ali in his 8th pro fight for the WBA and WBC belts.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue 24 May 2011, 11:57 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sot chitalada.......What a fighter..Out of all the Oriental fighters I probably saw more of his fights than anybody else...wbc fly if I remember...

Santos Laciar too...........

Seemed like a gentleman ...was going to offer him but the experts seemed to have offered him already......

The orientals do seem to get shots early...

Good lord grandpa - the term 'Oriental' is not acceptable especially in .. you guessed it the Good Ol' USA. Still you must know that ?

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue 24 May 2011, 11:58 am

It's a bit cheating when you've had loads of kick boxing or Thai boxing fights first.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 24 May 2011, 12:47 pm

Had this lying around on my hard drive :

3 Saensak Muangsurin ---WBC Lightelter
4 Veeraphol Sahaprom ---WBA Bantam
6 Paul Weir ---WBO Minimum
7 Jeff Fenech ---IBF Bantam
7 Muangchi Kittikasem ---IBF Light Fly
8 Sot Chitilada ---WBC Fly
8 Leon Spinks ---Lineal Heavy
8 Joichiro Tatsuyosh ---WBC Bantamweigh
9 Napa Kiatwanchai ---WBC Minimum
9 Davey Moore WBA Lightmiddle
9 Jung Il Byun WBC Bantam
9 Hiroki Ioka WBC Minimum
9 Paul Weir WBO Light Fly
11 Jim Jeffries Lineal Heavy
11 Chan Hee Park WBC Fly
11 Yokthai Sithoar WBA Superfly
12 Jorge Mata WBO Minimum
12 Hilario Zapata WBC Light Fly
12 Alimi Goitia WBA Superfly
12 Oscar De La Hoya WBO Superfeather

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 24 May 2011, 1:08 pm

Great list Windy.

When I saw the question I thought Fenech but see there are others who topped that achievement.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 24 May 2011, 1:09 pm

Surprising how many accomplished the feat isn't it, Rob ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 24 May 2011, 1:10 pm

Paul Weir didn't mess about, forgot all about him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 24 May 2011, 1:12 pm

A lot of the oriental fighters do get shots off the back of previous achivements in other sports and the fact they generally refuse to face anyone ranked by the IBF or WBO

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 24 May 2011, 1:21 pm

It'd be interesting to see, on the other end of the spectrum, who had the most fights before winning a world title. Off the top of my head (yes, I'm a terrible one for little details) I remember reading that Moore didn't take the Light-Heavyweight title until his 175th fight, but even he can't trump Greb, who won the 160 lb crown in his 234th bout. Incredible.

The only one I can think of who might be there or thereabouts is Britton at Welterweight, as he was already about thirty before he took the title and he participated in something like 340 professional bouts. Given that he fought on until his mid forties, though, I think I'll stick with Greb. Does anyone have the stats for this?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 24 May 2011, 1:25 pm

On that note Chris his arch nemesis Ted Lewis must have racked up a fair number of fights before he beat Britton for the title, may need to boxrec this

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 May 2011, 1:31 pm

Less than 150 for Britton, about 130 I reckon. Lewis had more, but not as many as Moore even it seems.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Tue 24 May 2011, 1:46 pm

If a boxer defeats a world champion and claims the title within his first dozen or so fights, thats an impressive achievement. Muangsurin was a two time champion and racked up a number of title defences. Since his early start, Sahaprom, has become an accomplished performer. Caused Nishioka and Tseveenpurev all sorts of problems, defended his world title around 13-14 times as well.

Boxing is very competitive over there in Asia, particularly at Flyweight and Bantamweight. For one thing the divisional power house nations of Japan, Philippines, Thailand and South Korea are based in the region. Generally, at one point you will need to travel to one of the rival nations, no easy task. There are fighters who exhibit a decent standard after a handful of fights. The Cubans also often taken on class almost straight away in their pro careers. Due to their strong amateur backgrounds, they've emerged through many of the early development stages already. An olympic record also frequently helps to boost a fighter to an early world title opportunity.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down