The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

david de gea

+23
Josiah Maiestas
Liam
All Time Great
Scott is Back
Geordie
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
hampo17
Kay Fabe
braveheart101
dondelero
d260005p
dublfcynwa
The Special Juan
ReallyReal
Sand
guildfordbat
marty2086
Crimey
Sara
davidl1061
matth7
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

david de gea Empty david de gea

Post by matth7 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

i can't believe the nonsense people are talking about, like he keeps making mistakes, do they watch the same game as we do. the only ''mistakes'' i remember him making are the game against blackburn at home and the game vs city in the community shield apart from that he's been excellent for us. the turning point in his united career in my opinion was against stoke awway because everyone was saying he was going to struggle there and wouldn't cope with rory delap's long throw-ins but he did very well in that game and made 2 world class saves and helped us to get a point there. also he reminds me of cristiano ronaldo in terms of needing to bulk up because i remember when ronaldo first came to united was skinny he was only 18 years old and came from the portugese league, now look at him one of the ebst players in the world and scoring goals for fun, i think by this time next year people will be raving about de gea trust me on this one, he has a lot of potential and has won the europa league and not many 21 years old can say that.

thoughts ?

Last edited by matth7 on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

matth7

Back to top Go down

david de gea Empty Re: david de gea

Post by davidl1061 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

I think people need to cut him a bit of slack. He is only young and is clearly still developing. Anybody who replaces somebody as good as Van Der Sar will struggle, in the same way that every keeper struggled after Schmeichel left. He has made a couple of mistakes, but so has every other keeper in the league! All players make mistakes it is just unfortunate that a goalkeepers mistake generally leads to a goal!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

exactly

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:38 pm

I think he will be fine, he has great promise. The only issue he has is with his physical strength and that he isn't used to being bashed around - this can easily be solved. I like him Smile

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

Well Sir Alex Ferguson has dropped him after spending a lot of money on him, his judgement is probably better than most. I fail to believe that Fergie ever bought Linegaard for the first team, after he spent £18 million on De Gea.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Well Sir Alex Ferguson has dropped him after spending a lot of money on him, his judgement is probably better than most. I fail to believe that Fergie ever bought Linegaard for the first team, after he spent £18 million on De Gea.

DeGeas biggest issue isnt the mistakes its that hes unsure of himself and his judgement isnt convincing at the minute. He comes for the ball at times when he should stay and stays at times when he should come

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 Jan 2012, 11:34 pm

In my view, Matth7 and several others here are cutting De Gea too much slack. Ferguson bought him to play now. Whether through lack of confidence and/or ability, he's not currently capable of doing that. Recalled for the FA Cup tie, he had a shocker at Anfield and pretty much gave Liverpool a free pass to the next round.

He may improve but he was meant to be good enough already. He's clearly not.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:02 am

I think he will come good, he was excellent for A.Madrid.

Not sure id blame him for the two goals on Saturday. First one he should have stayed more on his line he was never getting that ball and the 2nd was a decent strike albeit it did go past him at near post.

Think both certainly could have been defended better.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

Hi Sand - agree the defenders could and should be playing better. Suspect they're not gaining confidence from the keeper and vice versa.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:20 pm

he's a good shot-stopper but thats about it..

he dosent command his box and dosent inspire any sort of confidence into his defence

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:28 pm

He might become a great keeper, but it will take a lot of time and more importantly a settled defence in front of him to help him out, at the moment though, he seems far more likely to be a Taibi, Bosnich or Carroll than a Schmeichel or van der Sar.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:09 pm

ReallyReal wrote:He might become a great keeper, but it will take a lot of time and more importantly a settled defence in front of him to help him out, at the moment though, he seems far more likely to be a Taibi, Bosnich or Carroll than a Schmeichel or van der Sar.

laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:12 am

ReallyReal wrote:He might become a great keeper, but it will take a lot of time and more importantly a settled defence in front of him to help him out, at the moment though, he seems far more likely to be a Taibi, Bosnich or Carroll than a Schmeichel or van der Sar.

Schmeichel didnt have the best of starts at Utd he took time to settle and Im sure DeGea will be the same he just needs to be more commanding and on Saturday players like Evra should have got hold of him and spoke to him after the first goal but they didnt

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:35 am

He needs to get on the weights and protein shakes until he's built like Manuel Neuer and then he'll come good. The funny thing is that he's 6ft 4 or something but looks small. His jersey is too small!!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:49 am

TSC wrote:He needs to get on the weights and protein shakes until he's built like Manuel Neuer and then he'll come good. The funny thing is that he's 6ft 4 or something but looks small. His jersey is too small!!!

With him an Jonny Evans at the back you worry about the diet Utd players are on vomit

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jan 2012, 11:15 am

lol Jonny Evans, worst CB ever. Bring back John O'Shea!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Tue 31 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

Bad signing at the moment but he has time to get better.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:32 pm

TSC wrote:He needs to get on the weights and protein shakes until he's built like Manuel Neuer and then he'll come good. The funny thing is that he's 6ft 4 or something but looks small. His jersey is too small!!!

My great uncle was a professional footballer in the 1920s (yes, I am incredibly old! Rolling Eyes ). His first club Southampton were concerned he needed strenthening up. As a result, they gave him a bottle of Guinness every day! He still liked a drop of the black stuff well into his eighties. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

My great uncle was a professional footballer in the 1920s (yes, I am incredibly old! Rolling Eyes ). His first club Southampton were concerned he needed strenthening up. As a result, they gave him a bottle of Guinness every day! He still liked a drop of the black stuff well into his eighties. Very Happy

lol It does have "medicinal qualities" or so I'm told Very Happy
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

De Gea, as stated, is clearly not good enough to be in Man Utds starting line up. Lindegaard has been great in covering for him.

Shocker at Anfield last week, at blame for 2nd goal, kept fumbling the ball, poor kicking. Was DISATROUS for an 18million pound keeper!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

d260005p wrote:De Gea, as stated, is clearly not good enough to be in Man Utds starting line up. Lindegaard has been great in covering for him.

Shocker at Anfield last week, at blame for 2nd goal, kept fumbling the ball, poor kicking. Was DISATROUS for an 18million pound keeper!

HES ONLY 21!!!! anyone who has watched him over time say hes a lot like Casillas at the same age hes not found his feet since the move and I think on the pitch some of the senior players need to talk to him and help him out as they didnt against Liverpool

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Fri 03 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

The reason why many are writing of De Gea already is that gone are the days when players especially young players are given the chance to develop and grow. It appears the modern day supporter wants players to be at their best straight away and all of the time. Thankfully SAF does not see it that way but will continue to give youngsters like De Gea a chance, even if he does make the odd mistake. It will be worth it in the end.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

It doesn't help when United's first choice defenders are injured. Only 4 times so far this season have De Gea, Ferdinand and Vidic all been in the team and in those games they have only conceded 2 goals (1 penalty and 1 goalkeeper mistake) so maybe once Ferdinand and Vidic are fit we will see the best of De Gea.
I'd be more concerned about the lack of defensive cover than blaming a new young keeper for the odd mistake.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 05 Feb 2012, 1:24 am

I don't rate David de Gea at all, I saw him a few times with Athletico, not enough to form an opinion and to be honest never noticed him that much anyway, I have however seen him on more than enough occasions with Manchester United to make a reasonable assessment of him, I think he's poor, I've not seen anything of him so far that suggests he's anything other than a very ordinary goalkeeper

He is far to lightweight, seems very shy on the park and doesn't command his area at all which breeds uncertainty in the defence, the problem is that English football is extremely different from Spanish, particularly for a goalie, in the Premiership keepers are put under far more pressure, more crosses and long range shots, foreign keepers, particularly younger keepers struggle with that aspect, what you'll find is that foreign keepers are usually more comfortable with the ball at their feet, something else De Gea seems to struggle with.

I don't see why people seem so confident to say he'll come good, nothing at all in his time in England suggests he will, I'm not saying he won't as it's a 50/50 call at the moment, it can go either way, but the confidence from some that suggest it's a cast iron certainty he will is startling considering his performances.

I found the signing to be a strange one anyway, he's not the type of keeper that has served Ferguson well throughout his time in management, it's a very bold move from Fergie and he'll know himself it's a move that could turn into a major boob, for me he should have spent good money on Shay Given, getting on but a top class Premiership goalie who would still have a good 3/4 years, consistancy personified

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:38 pm

Delighted for De Gea after his performance today and especially his save from Mata's free kick. I am pretty sure he will come good.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 05 Feb 2012, 10:23 pm

It was an unbelievable stop, fantastic effort from Mata, no blame to the keeper at all if that went in, he needed that point winning save, let's see if he can build on it

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 10:40 pm

Opinion doesn't change on the save, yes it was world class but he still doesn't command his area with any conviction. He still flapped at crosses today and until he sorts that out he'll always be a weak link in the United team.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 05 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm

hampo171 wrote:Opinion doesn't change on the save, yes it was world class but he still doesn't command his area with any conviction. He still flapped at crosses today and until he sorts that out he'll always be a weak link in the United team.

I'm completely with Hampo. One or two decent saves during the game and an excellent one at the end. However, he didn't command his box nor his defence. He needs to sort that out and quickly. More is required of him than being a shotstopper. Don't forget he still shipped 3 goals.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:23 am

guildfordbat wrote:More is required of him than being a shotstopper. Don't forget he still shipped 3 goals.

Hes a 21 year old in a foreign country and under pressure itll take him time to be confident enough to take control over players like Ferdinand. None of the goals were his fault

I actually seen on BBC 606s Facebook they said he was at fault for the first goal so I dont think the press help at all

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:31 am

guildfordbat wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Opinion doesn't change on the save, yes it was world class but he still doesn't command his area with any conviction. He still flapped at crosses today and until he sorts that out he'll always be a weak link in the United team.

I'm completely with Hampo. One or two decent saves during the game and an excellent one at the end. However, he didn't command his box nor his defence. He needs to sort that out and quickly. More is required of him than being a shotstopper. Don't forget he still shipped 3 goals.

He flapped at one cross. Yeah ok lets not forget the 3 goals yet he had no chance with any of them?!

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:32 am

marty2086 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:More is required of him than being a shotstopper. Don't forget he still shipped 3 goals.

Hes a 21 year old in a foreign country and under pressure itll take him time to be confident enough to take control over players like Ferdinand. None of the goals were his fault

I actually seen on BBC 606s Facebook they said he was at fault for the first goal so I dont think the press help at all

No way was De Gea at fault for the first goal thats BS. Cant believe some people think that. What about Evra being turned inside out on the byline. How can he be at fault with the ball hitting of Evans after saving it.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:37 am

Marty - I take your point about him being a relative youngster in a foreign land. However, he was bought to do a job now which he doesn't seem - currently at least - capable of fully doing.

I don't entirely blame De Gea as some of the blame has to lie with the man who bought him and considered him immediately ready for the Premier League.

The first goal was a complete defensive mess. De Gea has to share some responsibility for that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

De gea is not worth anywhere near the amount of money that united paid...to be honest, yes he is a decent shot-stopper but apart from that he is awful...

he cant catch, punch or kick well enough...his defence are always shaky because they know they cant rely on their keeper.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:46 am

guildfordbat wrote:Marty - I take your point about him being a relative youngster in a foreign land. However, he was bought to do a job now which he doesn't seem - currently at least - capable of fully doing.

I don't entirely blame De Gea as some of the blame has to lie with the man who bought him and considered him immediately ready for the Premier League.

The first goal was a complete defensive mess. De Gea has to share some responsibility for that.

I have to disagree I think Fergie made a call and against City in the Community Shield he made a mistake and hes been hammered ever since cant be easy for him to recover from that

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

Marty - game of opinions for want of a better cliche. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out. Regardless of De Gea, I don't think United's defence looks as strong and savvy as in recent years.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:52 am

On the face of it, De Gea is a great keeper.

However, the adjustment of the often placid La Liga to the hustle and bustle of the Premiership and the sheer physicality of the league is something that he's having to adjust to.

Add in the fact that he is probably having to learn the English language too, and that's probably the source of his issues right there.

He is unable to communicate effectively with his defence and I think that's shown in his mistakes made. The other issues are simply confidence mistakes.

For me, he showed yesterday, with one save, just how good a keeper he can and will be. Whilst I'm more of a fan of Lindegaard, United fans just have to accept that this is a young lad finding his way in the English game.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 06 Feb 2012, 11:19 am

Sainty wrote:On the face of it, De Gea is a great keeper.

However, the adjustment of the often placid La Liga to the hustle and bustle of the Premiership and the sheer physicality of the league is something that he's having to adjust to.

Add in the fact that he is probably having to learn the English language too, and that's probably the source of his issues right there.

He is unable to communicate effectively with his defence and I think that's shown in his mistakes made. The other issues are simply confidence mistakes.

For me, he showed yesterday, with one save, just how good a keeper he can and will be. Whilst I'm more of a fan of Lindegaard, United fans just have to accept that this is a young lad finding his way in the English game.

thumbsup Thank you Sainty finally someone with a bit of sense

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

Laugh

he hasnt shown any thing for anyone to say he is a great keeper.....HE HAS MADE MORE MISTAKES THEN APPERANCES!

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:29 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:

Laugh

he hasnt shown any thing for anyone to say he is a great keeper.....HE HAS MADE MORE MISTAKES THEN APPERANCES!

How about the world class save he made from Mata at the end of the game? Not many keepers could have done that

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

davidl1061 wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:

Laugh

How about the world class save he made from Mata at the end of the game? Not many keepers could have done that

One save clap

He probably save united a point there but how many has he lost them this season?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:43 pm

Every time a keeper makes an error then generally he will cost his team goals. Defenders make mistakes all the time and are saved more often than not by the goalkeeper. The same goes for forwards and midfield players.
He jsut needs time and a bit of faith in him and I am sure that he will come good.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:47 pm

[quote="davidl1061"]Every time a keeper makes an error then generally he will cost his team goals. Defenders make mistakes all the time and are saved more often than not by the goalkeeper. The same goes for forwards and midfield players.
He jsut needs time and a bit of faith in him and I am sure that he will come good.[/quote]

david i know keepers make errors, but he's made more errors than apperances!

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

At £17 million you don't get time, for that money you are buying something you expect to be ready straight away.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:03 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:[quote="davidl1061"]Every time a keeper makes an error then generally he will cost his team goals. Defenders make mistakes all the time and are saved more often than not by the goalkeeper. The same goes for forwards and midfield players.
He jsut needs time and a bit of faith in him and I am sure that he will come good.

david i know keepers make errors, but he's made more errors than apperances!
[/quote]

Think thats pretty much far fetched but nevermind eh. Think everyone has just jumped on the bandwagon as he plays for Man U and his mistakes have been highlighted. Certainly doesnt help when most folk try and blame him for every goal he concedes a la the og on Sunday. Think he will come good anyway.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:26 pm

hampo171 wrote:At £17 million you don't get time, for that money you are buying something you expect to be ready straight away.

I think that only applies when buying a seasoned professional. There is a massive premium on youth/potential. De Gea's price based purely on experience and capability was probably only £8-10m, the rest of it is for prising a young highly regarded player away from his club.

I think he needs to be given time in the reserves and all he should do in training is get the ball beasted at him and make him catch it. All his problems should be solvable through basic catching, but he's never going to become Schmeichel or VDS overnight.

I think the mistake, as someone may already have mentioned, was to throw him straight into that Shield derby game. Yes he was an expensive purchase but I'd have shipped him off to one of our feeder clubs like Royal Antwerp for a season, get him some more experience and in a different league where crossing is more prevelant. If/when he came back bigger and stronger the following season, then start blooding him into the first team. The #1 shirt was just too much pressure too soon for someone in such an important and responsible role. Casillas is the only keeper I can think of that ever pulled it off.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:31 pm

If you're going to loan him out, loan him out in the premier league, going to Antwerp would have been a massive step down from Atheltico.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

I wonder what Tim Krul is worth then - by far the best keeper in the league...

Sadly we'll probably find out soon furious Crying or Very sad

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

So whats everyones views on De Gea now we are a lot further into the season.

Looks to me as though he has his confidence back, and some of the saves he has been making have been top draw!

The save at 0-1 yesterday was a game changer, and i think he is starting to show how good he can be. Still work to do on commanding his box, and flapping at crosses, but a huge improvement since X-mas.

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

Think next season will be more interesting. He's been put on some hefty training/bulking up regime by United with the hope he'll be more commanding with a stone or so extra muscle, that'll probs take 6 months to materialise so next season could be interesting....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

Let's be frank. Goalkeepers generally do not peak until their late 20s to early 30s. De Gea's frame is very unique as a goalkeeper- he's not the tallest or strongest and agility will play a very strong part of his game. Therefore, maybe he will not have as a prolonged career as many other goalkeepers (such as Barthez).

I do believe he made some unacceptable errors for a "Man United" goalkeeper earlier on in the season. However, if he was at a lesser club I'm sure he would of been raved about as he was in Spain

Having said that, since his world class save against Chelsea the boy has pulled out a string of saves that have really saved Man United some vital points and has been making saves at pivotal times in the game.

It looks like this kid could become the real deal if he manages to work on dealing with set pieces. I like him, the Premier League could do with more exciting youngsters like him.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next