The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

david de gea

+23
Josiah Maiestas
Liam
All Time Great
Scott is Back
Geordie
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
hampo17
Kay Fabe
braveheart101
dondelero
d260005p
dublfcynwa
The Special Juan
ReallyReal
Sand
guildfordbat
marty2086
Crimey
Sara
davidl1061
matth7
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

david de gea - Page 2 Empty david de gea

Post by matth7 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

First topic message reminder :

i can't believe the nonsense people are talking about, like he keeps making mistakes, do they watch the same game as we do. the only ''mistakes'' i remember him making are the game against blackburn at home and the game vs city in the community shield apart from that he's been excellent for us. the turning point in his united career in my opinion was against stoke awway because everyone was saying he was going to struggle there and wouldn't cope with rory delap's long throw-ins but he did very well in that game and made 2 world class saves and helped us to get a point there. also he reminds me of cristiano ronaldo in terms of needing to bulk up because i remember when ronaldo first came to united was skinny he was only 18 years old and came from the portugese league, now look at him one of the ebst players in the world and scoring goals for fun, i think by this time next year people will be raving about de gea trust me on this one, he has a lot of potential and has won the europa league and not many 21 years old can say that.

thoughts ?

Last edited by matth7 on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

matth7

Back to top Go down

david de gea - Page 2 Empty Re: david de gea

Post by guildfordbat Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:39 pm

Scott is Back wrote:
.... The save at 0-1 yesterday was a game changer, and i think he is starting to show how good he can be. Still work to do on commanding his box, and flapping at crosses, but a huge improvement since X-mas.

Certainly an excellent save yesterday if it's the one I'm thinking of - deflected and low to de Gea's right at speed. Also a rare word of praise for the much maligned Jonny Evans - a very good reaction and clearance from him following this save.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm

I always said De Gea will become a top draw keeper and will be Spain's no.1 one day. He proved how good he can be in Spain and all he needed is a season or two to get used to crosses and corners. In Spain, there aren't as many crosses as in England, with emphasis on technical skills, such as passing then shooting, rather than pass and then cross into the box. If he puts alittle more muscle on and builds up his experience of crosses and commanding his area, he will be a top draw keeper, I still think he's a good keeper now.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:32 am

guildfordbat wrote: Also a rare word of praise for the much maligned Jonny Evans - a very good reaction and clearance from him following this save.

Evans has played well this season he has been reading the game better and his passing and distribution has been excellent for most parts.

DeGea is showing more confidence even when coming for the ball thats what he needed just hope it continues

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

he does not seem to be Man United quality/ or mentality but they are forced to keep him a few seasons cause of the price paid. Lindegaard seems much more natural to the keeper role, it helps that he knows the language much better than De gea too, and is much better under the weather conditions.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:15 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:he does not seem to be Man United quality/ or mentality but they are forced to keep him a few seasons cause of the price paid. Lindegaard seems much more natural to the keeper role, it helps that he knows the language much better than De gea too, and is much better under the weather conditions.

Disagree completely now, De Gea looks a lot better since Xmas

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

Scott is right his weakness is from crosses and a lot of the problem with that is he not able to impose himself which is something they are working on

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

the problem is he will never be nowhere near as good as VDS or Schmeichel, he's not a top tier keeper. He's in the Massimo Taibi category. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:41 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
the problem is he will never be nowhere near as good as VDS or Schmeichel, he's not a top tier keeper. He's in the Massimo Taibi category. Wink

Well I wish you could've told the Manchester Utd Scouting network before we wasted 19 Mill on him as you clearly seem to have clairvoyant capabilities Rolling Eyes

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:

He's quite clearly not though is he? Be Serious!
How good were VDS or Schmeicel at 21? If my memory serves me right, they were relativly unknown, VDS was a good keeper at Fulham, but only really hit world class since 30+, and the same for Schmeicel....who was prone to an error or two, remember his starfish impressions!!!

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

What an outrageous statement to make that de gea is in the taibi category. Unless there's some sarcasm there that isn't come across in your post. The lad is 21, fair enough he's made mistakes but he has plenty of his career left to learn from them. He's also nowhere near his peak and has shown glimpses of how good he can potentially be

What was wrong with the starfish impressions Scott? Classic goalkeeping, not many keepers can spread themselves at such short range in the air but starfish impressions did. Remember his save from a zamorano header against inter in the treble season? Kept the scores level and we went on to win.....great technique I thought

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:03 pm

That starfish kept us in the Champs League in 1998/99 Treble winning season, fantastic save off Zamorano against Inter from memory.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm

Aye it was

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:58 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:he does not seem to be Man United quality/ or mentality but they are forced to keep him a few seasons cause of the price paid. Lindegaard seems much more natural to the keeper role, it helps that he knows the language much better than De gea too, and is much better under the weather conditions.

Lindegaards stock only rose due to de gea making mistakes, he remains an average goal keeper.

He makes routine saves look difficult and his kicking is below the required level, not convinced he will be long term number 1.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:21 am

What's irritating me recently is that De Gea has been making good saves, but nobody was denying that he was good at shot-stopping, it's obviously his forte, he hasn't turned a corner, just there haven't been as many dangerous balls put in and around the box.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:02 pm

He has been voted United's player of the month for February so I think the fans certainly are starting to take to him. Give him another season and see what he's like then, people slating the bloke at his age and experience need to cut him some slack.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 09 Mar 2012, 9:18 am

He was excellent again last night, saved Man U for a real hiding.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm

Sand wrote:He was excellent again last night, saved Man U for a real hiding.

Only saw the last 5 minutes. Going on that, De Gea had to be excellent with the likes of Rafael in front of him!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:24 pm

What? Aren't defenders that just give up running after strikers the way forward?
Utd thought they were because they bought his twin as well, laziness in stereo!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

Kept a clean sheet on sunday, that was his 2nd in the league in a row

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:37 am

Was only against Wolves in fairness, they couldn't score in the red light district during happy hour at the moment Laugh

I'd like the lad to succeed but he needs to cut out silly errors, he is one of these keepers who can make a string of amazing saves but then conceed something ridiculous.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

20 years old, first season in premiership, inexperienced and playing week in week out for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Give him a break and see how he is next season. 4 points clear at the top not doing to bad with him in goal plus with the ever present Evans as your backup I'm not supirsed we have conceeded more than usual this season.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm

hampo171 wrote:I'd like the lad to succeed but he needs to cut out silly errors, he is one of these keepers who can make a string of amazing saves but then conceed something ridiculous.
This is what separates the great from the good, everyone has moments of brilliance in them, every keeper will make great saves, just as every half decent striker will score some great goals (though as a Wigan Athletic fan I've forgotton what even an average striker is like Wink ), but it's doing the everyday things all the time, without making mistakes, that makes someone great at their art.
In the grand scheme of things, people remember how many games are lost or drawn when keepers make an error, rather than how many mathces they help to win with great saves and great strikers do their job just as consistently, it's putting the ball in the net as often as possible that counts, taking the one-on-ones and not fluffing many chances, rather than just scoring some screamers that will make sure a great striker plays every game and ends up going down in history.
De Gea is a very good keeper, that seems fairly obvious, but will he continue to make the odd mistake and get punished for doing so, as that's what will define him over his career, it's just far too early to tell ATM, come back in a decade and ask if he's great, heck, as he's only 21, why not come back in 20 years, by then we should have a definitive answer Whistle

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2