The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of Round 1

+26
dummy_half
Comfort
bluestonevedder
Biltong
GavinDragon
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
BigTrevsbigmac
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
aucklandlaurie
kiakahaaotearoa
GLove39
maestegmafia
wales606
thebluesmancometh
Ozzy3213
gnollbeast
slartibartfast
Mad for Chelsea
ME-109
Rory_Gallagher
IanBru
doctor_grey
RDW
gowales
ChequeredJersey
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Team of Round 1 - Page 2 Empty Team of Round 1

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Who was in your 15/22 of Round 1?

For me:

15- Kearney just edges out Halfpenny, with a solid all round game. Foden didn't actually get to do anything

14-Clerc looked sharp for his try and in general the 11s were better this weekend. Runner up: Bowe, despite having a poor game, comes second for still managing to score and set up a try
13- Davies- 2 tries, and a very good game in defence and attack. Fofana wasn't great but looked class for his try. Barritt defended well.
12- Rougerie despite France never hitting top gear, Rougerie looked imperious in defence and scored and was ever dangerous in attack. Dangerous player... He beats pretty much no-one as the 12s weren't fantastic really

11- North for his try, his power, his soft hands and just generally living up to the hype. Malzieu had a good game, as did Trimble

10- Priestland screwed up his goal kicks but was glorious in attack with his hands and his running and there were some nice kicks out of hand, and tackles too. Plus he ran his backs very well and made better decisions than Sexton. No real competition, Laidlaw looked exciting but hardly composed when he came on for Scotland.
9- Phillips I don't like him but he played his game well. Still not a great passer but he was allowed to get away with it. Just edged Murray, who had a good game I thought. Yachvilli was solid. Less said about the others, the better

1- Corbs- I don't know enough about scrummaging to judge but he had a good game to my limited eye and a good game in the loose. Lo Cicero was also good but like all the Italian forwards, underused.
2- Best- took his try well, operated in a solid Irish scrum and lineout and tackles like a flanker. Servat was also good.
3- Ross- as mentioned above the Irish set piece was solid and I saw him do a fair bit about the park.

4- Gray- Not his best game but he made yards and tackles and was hard to deal with. Botha had a good game, with carries and tackles, except he doesn't take the ball into contact very well.
5- Pape- Looked very comfortable in the line-out and got the better of Italy's strong pack there and looked solid around the park too. Hamilton was one of Scotland's better performers

6- Dusautoir- good captain, strong defender against a determined Italy. Ferris would have got it but blew it with that penalty. Jones also played well.
7- Tipuric- Really good half that he was in. Did as well (which is well) as Warburton in the breakdown, showed up SOB as not a 7, like Rennie, who was also good except his costly error, did to Robshaw. He was also rapid and got very involved. Cheated a bit but Barnes allowed it and that's his job. Warburton was good but got injured and faded at the end of the half. SOB was good in the loose but not at the breakdown. Ditto Robshaw, and Rennie screwed up an easy try. Bonnaire was good but Tipuric edges it.
8- So hard this one... Parisse, just. He was everywhere in a noble loss for Italy and showed skills worthy of a centre and a winger. World class. Denton had a stormer and was unlucky not to make it, Picamole was also awesome, but overshadowed by Sergio.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Team of Round 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Team of Round 1

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:55 am

Sorry but Robshaw was pretty mediocre. By no means the least effective player in an England shirt but did very little of note, it was Croft who was doing a lot of the dog work for England counter to the stereotype ( although what that says about how good he is at it....)

I can only assume Sky Sports have used the " sympathy pick" principle usually reserved to get a Scot in the side.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:02 am

Kearney
North
Davies
Farell - purely because no other 12 stood out, his first cap and he was solid
Malzieu
Priestland - kicking aside straightens the backlin stops wales crabbing across the field
phillips
denton
rennie
jones
pape
gray
Mas
Best
Gill - purely because it was his first cap at this level for a long time and the scrum was solid against a very good scrummager in ross

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:05 am

Corbs in front of Gill

Last edited by BigTrevsbigmac on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:05 am

15- Kearney

14-Clerc
13-Davies
12-Rougerie
11-North
10-Can't think anyone shone through, Priestland might make it because the rest of his back line shone, but too many tactical kicking errors.
9- Phillips

1- Corbs
2- Best
3- Ross

4,5- Parhoas the Irish locking pair as they stole the most line outs.

6- Dusautoir
7- Tipuric
8- Denton
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:15 am

maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:Robshaw?!

Laidlaw only had about 20 minutes, he was good, but not better than Preistland, Sexton or Trinduc

I agree. Robshaw is a bizarre call he did bugger all...!! Certainly nothing compared with SOB, Dausitoir, Warburton, Barbieri, Rennie, or Tuperic.

I guess Planet Rugby aren't as one eyed.

So you honestly think Robshaw was the best openside in the Six nations matches this weekend?

OK please do not accuse others of being one eye'd mate...!!!

Or Eurosport.

I won't bother looking at Wales on Line though! Very Happy

Clearly there are a lot of one eyed non Welsh people out there.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:19 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:Robshaw?!

Laidlaw only had about 20 minutes, he was good, but not better than Preistland, Sexton or Trinduc

I agree. Robshaw is a bizarre call he did bugger all...!! Certainly nothing compared with SOB, Dausitoir, Warburton, Barbieri, Rennie, or Tuperic.

I guess Planet Rugby aren't as one eyed.

So you honestly think Robshaw was the best openside in the Six nations matches this weekend?

OK please do not accuse others of being one eye'd mate...!!!

Or Eurosport.

I won't bother looking at Wales on Line though! Very Happy

Clearly there are a lot of one eyed non Welsh people out there.

Give it a rest mate...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:22 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Corbisiero - lack of other options.

And possibly the fact that he played his best game in an England shirt? He was the best player on the pitch that day, shouldn't take that away from him. Dominated at scrum time, despite the press surrounding the game.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:37 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

And possibly the fact that he played his best game in an England shirt? He was the best player on the pitch that day, shouldn't take that away from him. Dominated at scrum time, despite the press surrounding the game.
Thought he played very well, but best player on the pitch, no

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:43 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Thought he played very well, but best player on the pitch, no

best English player on the pitch, yes?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:50 am

Sorry English player, yes. Overall, probably second to Denton in my view.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:53 am

bluestonevedder wrote:Sorry English player, yes. Overall, probably second to Denton in my view.
True, altho pushed close by Barritt I felt

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:55 am

Yeh, Barritt was fantastic, though I think everyone knows what he brings to the table. Corbs on the other hand was widely criticised before the game, and everyone believed the English front row would get stuffed. He's been off form in the prem, and I for one was slightly worried. I like the way he answered his critics on the pitch, rather than via the press.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:01 am

Espn

France laid down an early marker in despatching Italy in Paris while England kick off their title defence with a hard-fought victory over Scotland in Edinburgh. Wales and Ireland then raised the bar somewhat in Dublin where the visitors squeezed home - but amid all that fanfare and ferocity, which player caught the eye?

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)

The 23-year-old Welshman not only displayed nerves of steel to kick his side to a famous victory over the Irish in Dublin but also showed his versatility with a seamless switch to wing from fullback in the second half - expect big things from him in the weeks to come.

14. Julien Malzieu (France)

In his first Test match appearance since June 2010, Malzieu was at his game-breaking best with one outstanding burst in particular accounting for five Italian defenders and ending with what may well end up being the 'Try of the Six Nations'.

13. Jonathan Davies (Wales)

It must be fun running off the shoulder of the likes of powerhouses Jamie Roberts and George North but Davies was still had to be in the right place at the right time for his two tries.

12. Brad Barritt (England)

Switched into the No.12 shirt for the purposes of our selection, Barritt made an impressive international debut against the Scots - racking up a bone-crunching 11 tackles when combined with his general industry makes him a serious rival for a spot we thought would belong to Manu Tuilagi.

11. George North (Wales)

Lining up in the No.11 jersey associated with the legendary and recently-retired Shane Williams, North took a giant step towards securing superstar status himself against an Irish side that had little answer to his hypnotic blend of power, pace and skill.

10. Charlie Hodgson (England)

Hodgson makes the grade thanks to a solid if not spectacular display against the Scots at Murrayfield that included a crucial charge down and try that ensured the Stuart Lancaster era kicked off with a win. He was also helped by some high-profile errors from rivals Rhys Priestland (Wales) and Dan Park (Scotland).

9. Mike Phillips (Wales)

A typically abrasive performance from the Welsh No.9 whose lack of game time for Bayonne across the Channel appears to be his country's benefit. Pumped up throughout, he even managed to pip North to the official man of the match honour - not sure about that.

1. Alex Corbisiero (England)

Back in the England starting line-up, the New York-born Corbisiero made the most of his opportunity with a busy performance punctuated by a dozen or so tackles and the odd turnover. Typified England's general all-round effort.

2. Rory Best (Ireland)

The Irish hooker was rewarded for a solid showing at the lineout and in the loose with a rare try that helped propel his side into an unlikely half-time lead but was unable to hold back the tide in the second half.

3. Dan Cole (England)

Another Englishman happy to put his body on the line for his team-mates and his coach and also did not shirk his duties in the scrum.

4. Pascal Pape (France)

A rock-solid lineout option who's is also not averse to taking the attack to his rivals as was the case at the Stade de France. A formidable sight when afforded the time and space to build up a head of steam.

5. Mouritz Botha (England)

Another of England's tackle-hungry trojans who was clearly determined to nail down his place in the side. A reliable lineout presence but will be keen to make more of an impact in the loose next time out.

6. Thierry Dusautoir (France)

The French skipper shows no signs of resting on his laurels having captured the International Rugby Board Player of the Year honour in the wake of his side's World Cup exploits. It may not have been his most spectacular display for Les Bleus but he does not do average.

7. Louis Picamoles

Rampaged his way through the Italian defence at the Stade de France with a commanding display at No.8 but switched to the flank in our line-up. A superb lesson in power running but underlined his outstanding rugby brain to act as a key link man.

8. David Denton (Scotland)

Alongside North, arguably THE player of the opening round of action. Produced a sensational performance and his barnstorming runs caused England problems all day long - just a shame it was in defeat.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:09 am

my team of round 1.

1. Healey
2. Best
3. Castro
4. Hamilton
5. Pepe
6. Jones
7. Dusatoir
8. Denton
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. Malzieu
12. Fofana
13. Davies
14. North
15. Kearney

a lot of very close calls in there, players who I also thought played very very well...

Gill
Ian Evans
Gray
Tiperic
Heaslip
Picamoles
Murray
Max Evans
Rougerie
Barritt

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:15 am

A few odd choices in the ESPN team (and I'm English, so it's not bias):

Botha - for me it was a bit of a curates egg performance: some good, some errors. Not bad for cap no 2, but was behind POC, Gray, Davies (bar the crazy dump tackle) and perhaps even the Italian 2nd rows.

Hodgson - failed to get our backline moving at all. Priestland was way better in his game management.

Barritt - a typical trick of these 'teams of the week' in switching a player's position. Played well in defence but had few opportunities to show what he can do going forwards. The French centre pairing were excellent, particularly in the 2nd half, so whichever of Fofana or Rougerie was playing 12 (Fofana I think) should be there.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

Sorry but those ESPN guys musty be smoking crack if 5 England players wer in the best team, they probably put in the worst collectiver pereformance of the 6 nations yet had 30% of the best players? Were the other 10 THAT bad?

Cant see how Barrit tackling well but failing to get the ball to move forward makes him better than Roberts who was a monster. And if we are allowing 13s to move across what about Rougerie?

Botha as well, ahead of POC? Gray? Id even argue Hamilton did more.

Hodgson? Really? He did Ok but aere we punishing Preistland for his goal kicking when Hodgson didnt even try? I would certainly have Burton and Trinh Duc ahead of him.

Englands pack was pretty innefective aside form at scrums. How that equates into almost half the team of the week I do not know.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

It is ludicrous that England are so well represented in that team. I think only Corbs deserves to be in it, with Barritt and Cole distant outside possibilities.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:47 am

Corbisiero certainly, Baritt I think is a decent shout, but Cole, Hodgson? I want some of whatever they've been smoking.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:41 am

MSN team of the week compiled using Opta Stats
1 Corbs
Alex Corbisiero made more tackles (13) than any other prop on the opening weekend of the 2011 Six Nations and also helped England win 100% of their scrums and force two against the head.

2 Rory Best
Rory Best made 10 tackles and seven carries as well as hitting his man out the lineout on each of the three occasions he threw

3 Adam Jones
Adam Jones helped Wales win 100% of their scrums and also made nine tackles, only Corbisiero made more.

4 Mauritz Botha
Mauritz Botha was constantly pressurising the Scotland midfield, making 15 tackles, he also won three lineouts for England.

5 Paul O'Connell
Paul O'Connell made 17 tackles against Wales, the Munster player also made 10 bruising carries.

6 Thierry Dusatoire
Thierry Dusautoir made a game-high 14 tackles against Italy putting in a typically robust performance as France eased past Italy.

7 Chris Robshawe

Chris Robshaw led England from the front, making 15 tackles and 11 carries in a bruising win over Scotland at Murrayfield.

8 Dave Denton

Dave Denton made a real impact on his Six Nations debut, making 14 carries for a gain of 50 metres, and also managing a 100% tackle success rate.

9 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips was a constant threat for Wales, making 11 carries for 34 metres and also completing all eight tackles he attempted

10 Charlie Hodgson
Charlie Hodgson scored the match winning try against Scotland after a charge down, he also completed nine of the 10 tackles he attempted, almost set up a try with a clever cross field kick and was a threat when distributing the ball.

11 Julien Malzieu
Julien Malzieu beat five defenders on the way to making a gain of 138 metres and scoring a scintillating try against Italy.

12 Wesley Fofana
Wesley Fofana enjoyed a try scoring debut for France, making a match high 13 carries for a gain of 85 metres, he also completed all eight tackles he attempted

13 Jonathan Davies

Jonathan Davies made a game high 96 metres against Ireland and completed all six tackles he attempted. He also became only the 7th different Welsh player to score a brace of tries away against Ireland and only the 3rd in the post-war era.

14 George North
George North beat a round high six defenders against Ireland, scored a try and didn't miss a tackle.

15 Andrei Masi

Andrea Masi made a remarkable 173 metres with the ball in hand against France, more than any other player over the opening weekend of the 2011 Six Nations.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:11 am

Trevs,

Theres some merit in that team but a couple of oddities. Robshaw carried a lot, but was massively innefective most of the time. The only real ground he gained wa sin mauls, when other were doing the work. The rest of his game was merely acceptable.
Foffana had a stinking first half, thats why Id have Rougerie ahead of him. He did come into the game and grow in confidence and France clearly have a player with a lot of potential there but his early game mistakes rule him out as a player of the week in my mind. He took advantage of a beaten Italy once the game opened up.
Hodgsons an oddity, he did what he did well but did he do the right things? And he didnt take the goal kicks ( although the 10s who did for the most park were pretty bad)
The rest you can all make a strong case for without loking at the stats.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:57 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Trevs,

Theres some merit in that team but a couple of oddities. Robshaw carried a lot, but was massively innefective most of the time. The only real ground he gained wa sin mauls, when other were doing the work. The rest of his game was merely acceptable.
Foffana had a stinking first half, thats why Id have Rougerie ahead of him. He did come into the game and grow in confidence and France clearly have a player with a lot of potential there but his early game mistakes rule him out as a player of the week in my mind. He took advantage of a beaten Italy once the game opened up.
Hodgsons an oddity, he did what he did well but did he do the right things? And he didnt take the goal kicks ( although the 10s who did for the most park were pretty bad)
The rest you can all make a strong case for without loking at the stats.
+1 Rennie played Robshaw off the park as the better openside on the pitch imo, altho Robshaw led well and provided a figurehead for the England resistance. Croft had a decent game too, but Dowson I thought was largely anonymous

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:39 am

I'd go...

Masi- He was an injection of pace when he got the ball. Looked good in attack and solid enough in defence, Rougerie's try withstanding.
North- Huge lad, with gas and an offload, a very dangerous weapon, compeletely outshone Bowe.
Davies- Very good spacial awareness, maybe not great on his outside defence, McFadden made yards outside him but overall good. Good offensive awareness and decision making.
Rougerie- The man is a monster. Great pace, strength, defence, line running, defensive organisation. At 12 to facilitate Davies.
Malzieu- The guy is a tank, a fast tank, an agile tank, a try scoring tank. Makes something out of nothing, a gifted footballer........tank
Sexton- Would have given it to Preistland if he could kick. Sexton's defence was great and when the Irish forwards and backs worked with him he ran the ball well. Too much aimless kicking though
Phillips- Don't like him or his style of play, but he bossed the game on Sunday and was deservedly MotM. Delivery wasn't snappy but it was controlled.
Denton- I thought he was everywhere and so unlucky to lose. Such a high work rate and great running with the ball in hand. Parisse, Picamoles and Heaslip were all good too.
Dusatoir- at 7 not 6. He was everywhere as per usual. Huge tackle count again and great counter rucking. Linked well and led France to a win.
Jones- Best forward in Dublin on Sunday. Carried hard and was able to get over the gain line. He also was a menace at the breakdown. Very complete performance I felt.
O'Connell- Carried a lot of ball but more importantly made a lot of tackles and was feared in the Welsh lineout. Could have got out of the way of the ball in open spaces more, as he many things but a modern lock.
Botha- Made a lot of tackles out away from the rucks and was very physical. Quick tough at the rucks too.
Mas- Dealt with a strong Italian scrum well enough and was putting in tackles and hitting rucks all game, was very impressed with his defensive effort.
Best- Made a lot of tackles and slowed a lot of Welsh ball. His lineout throwing was good and he got himself a try. Glad he didn't have the ball more as he is more effective without it.
Corb- Two scrums against the head, a lot of tackles and a solid shift overall against a tough SCottish pack. Good performance.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

OK may as well have a butchers

15. Kearney (Ire)
Superb all round display, great under the high ball as 1/2p found out to his regret

14. Malzieu (Fra)
Try of the 1st round

13. Davies (Wales)
I was amazed at all the negative "Hook in Davies out" Welsh "knowledgable posters over the last few seasons now proving to them just how silly those comments were 5 tries in 6 games phew!! and on the weekend was just sublime

12. Foffana (Fra)
Poor 1st half... Awesome in the 2nd, shaded it I think

11. North (Wal)
Hands that do rugby are as soft as a spring day

10. Priestland (Wal)
Disappointing with his place kicking, but more than made up with his awareness and distribution

9. Phillips (Wal)
Close to MOM nuff said

1. Corbisiero (Eng)
Something like 13-14 tackles and a couple of turnovers LIKE IT

2. Rory Best (Ireland)
Well taken try, and accurate in the lineout

3. Cole (Eng)
Close call with Ross but he was very industrious

4. Gra (Sco)
Not his best ever, but was in the face of Englands engine room and won alot of ball

5. O'Connell (Ire)
Again rock solid won a few lineout against the head, superb in the rucks, mauls and general loose play

6. Jones (Wal)
Stand out performance, what an engine, didnt put a foot backwards and great in th set piece. Always gained yardage AWESOME

7. Rennie (Sco)
His open play is a joy to watch, carries, tackles, turnovers was up there with the best, only Robshaw was better in the stats, but certainly not in the actual play

8. Denton (Sco)
Even taking into account all the hype of his debut performance, it still was a seriously good 80 mins. The guy will go on from here, can't wait to see him unleased on the Welsh
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

my one problem with Rennie is that horrible three on one he butchered. That's 7 points gone right there, so I just couldn't pick him in my team. Think Jones, Dusautoir and Denton has decent balance, so I'd stick with that.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:59 pm

There were a serious amount of top performing 8's this weekend.

Denton, Parisse, Heaslip and Picamoles.

Serious performances IMO

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

Have to say I really do rate Davies - though I think he is better at 12 than 13. Hope he continues to shine for Wales.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:There were a serious amount of top performing 8's this weekend.

Serious performances IMO

Definitely, and interesting despite all the hype that Faletau was not anywhere near as good as those 4.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:05 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:There were a serious amount of top performing 8's this weekend.

Serious performances IMO

Definitely, and interesting despite all the hype that Faletau was not anywhere near as good as those 4.

Or that fella warming himself on the French bench on Saturday either.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:09 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Serious performances IMO

Sunday's game was the first time that I've seen Faletau knocked back in the tackle - at 6'2", perhaps it's not that surprising, but he is still a wonderful player

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

Harinordoquy has been out of form apparently since the world cup. I haven't really watched the French competition so I wouldn't know. I am glad he is starting at flanker for France (well, not from an irish POV). I actually saw Faletau knocked back numerous times in the world cup.. especially nearer the start, which is understandable.

Part of me thinks Faletau could make a better flanker than 8. He is a good bit smaller than all those 8s listed. Faletau started as a flanker didn't he? Could be completely wrong. Also just to clarify, I think Faletau is an absolutely stellar player who could go very far. He has the brains.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

Scotland have some nice 8s in the wings (not literally) too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:22 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Scotland have some nice 8s in the wings (not literally) too
CJ, are you thinking of McInally and Wilson? It would be great if Beattie could recover his form too. I remember back to the days when we had John Beattie Sr., Iain Paxton and Derek White

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

McInally, Wilson and Denton all look like they could have big futures ahead of them. Denton I believe is primarily a flanker, so I guess one of them shall start 8 eventually with Denton at 6? Barclay playing 7 would offer leadership and experience. Speaking of Barclay, is he injured?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:24 pm

Rory, no he's on the bench - Rennie just playing better at the mo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:25 pm

"A mention for tommy Bowe"

Why? Hew as average at best.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:25 pm

Unfortunately I was busy during the Scotland game and only managed to catch the highlights. Didn't see Barclay at all. Did he come on? I have to say I rate Barclay massively, I am sure he will bounce back.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:26 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Unfortunately I was busy during the Scotland game and only managed to catch the highlights. Didn't see Barclay at all. Did he come on? I have to say I rate Barclay massively, I am sure he will bounce back.
He came on for Stroks with about 15mins to go, and he and Rennie seemed to be playing left and right

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

Interesting.. Do you see Rennie being the permanent 7 for Scotland or can you see Barclay taking back his shirt? Also out of McInally and Wilson, who would you say is better/has more of a chance internationally?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Interesting.. Do you see Rennie being the permanent 7 for Scotland or can you see Barclay taking back his shirt? Also out of McInally and Wilson, who would you say is better/has more of a chance internationally?
Rory, Barclay and Rennie have pushed each other on ever since they started playing each other at school, district and age-group sides - think we'll see plenty of them both for a good few years, supplemented by Grant and Fusaro. I think McInally has the more promise between him and Wilson, a very intelligent ballplayer - reminds of Toby Faletau in that respect, and slightly shorter of stature (6'3") than many international 8s

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:00 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Interesting.. Do you see Rennie being the permanent 7 for Scotland or can you see Barclay taking back his shirt? Also out of McInally and Wilson, who would you say is better/has more of a chance internationally?
Rory, Barclay and Rennie have pushed each other on ever since they started playing each other at school, district and age-group sides - think we'll see plenty of them both for a good few years, supplemented by Grant and Fusaro. I think McInally has the more promise between him and Wilson, a very intelligent ballplayer - reminds of Toby Faletau in that respect, and slightly shorter of stature (6'3") than many international 8s

I would say Barclays is more effective in the rucks and mauls, scavenging and in your face, whilst Rennie has the pace to get around the opposition forwards and is always looking to run in open space and at the moment he is the man in possession. AR will look at "horses for courses" dependant on the opposition, the one positive is, that not so long ago we couldnt see past the killer Bs now with young Denton who I like at 8 even tho he has played blindside for us more this season and McInally who is so aware at such an early age along with Fus we have some great options and only bodes well. Some of the initial conditions of his employment (AR that is) i.e. must start the development at schoolboy level, drive thro to the A team to gain exposure before been risked at full international level might just work.............. (please no more false dawns)

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2