The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of round 1

+32
Poorfour
R!skysports
Fluxy
funnyExiledScot
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
Geordie
dummy_half
Nematode
quinsforever
cb
BamBam
rodders
GunsGerms
No 7&1/2
Exiledinborders
doctor_grey
WELL-PAST-IT
rumpelstiltskindoh
yappysnap
nathan
Submachine
Nachos Jones
alive555
LondonTiger
thomh
BigTrevsbigmac
TJ
George Carlin
Standulstermen
maestegmafia
RDW
36 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Team of round 1 Empty Team of round 1

Post by RDW Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 0:17

Just my opinion - feel free to post yours!

1 Marler
2 Best
3 Cole
4 Gray snr
5 Krus
6 Haskell
7 Robshsw
8 Faletau

9 Murray
10 Ford (Russell close 2nd)
11 Huget
12 Henshaw (no stand outs)
13 Bennett (joseph close 2nd)
14 Watson
15 Hogg

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:56; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Team of round 1 Empty Re: Team of round 1

Post by maestegmafia Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 0:22

Pretty accurate..

Thought McGrath played very well for Ireland at tighthead.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 0:58

Robshaw was definitely better than O'Donnell.

Maybe one of the Irish locks

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 6:40

Pretty good, RDW.

I might swap:

- Bernard Le Roux for O'Donnell - just more influential overall, even more so than Robshaw I felt
- Mathieu Bastareaud (out of position at 12, admittedly) for Henshaw
- Little Gray for Big Gray

Apart from that, perfectly reasonable.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 6:48

Russell for Ford

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 8:00

TJ wrote:Russell for Ford

Yes maybe - he looks a good prospect.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 8:07

Russell does indeed look a good prospect - this is is first full time pro year.

ford was not great this weekend. Charged down twice, aimless kicking, no running threat. Russell was far better on the evidence of these 3 games

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:26

Woah steady on. Ford's kicking game was dodgy at times but he got our attack going really well and nailed a match winning kick from 45m at the end. Russell looks promising but also made some bad errors - kicking straight into touch, and then carrying the ball out and throwing it away to concede a penalty.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:34

thomh wrote:Woah steady on. Ford's kicking game was dodgy at times but he got our attack going really well and nailed a match winning kick from 45m at the end. Russell looks promising but also made some bad errors - kicking straight into touch, and then carrying the ball out and throwing it away to concede a penalty.

To be fair, that last one was Dougie fife...

Both are young, exciting 10s and both teams should be happy to have them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:38

Only saw the one game, so cannot really contribute. Even so surprised to see Kruis's name mentioned. O'Donnell and Hogg must have played really well to be ahead of Robshaw and Brown who both had exemplary matches.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:40

If you're a Scotland supporter and have been subject to the rugby fan equivalent of Japanese water torture for years - i.e. being made to watch Dan Parks kicking the arse off the ball and not tackling anyone, Phil Godman getting squished like a garden gnome under a steam roller by every loose forward who fancies it - then in comparison Finn Russell is broadly the golden lovechild of Barry John and Dan Carter, coached since childhood by Jonny Wilkinson.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:41

Probably a fair shout on robshsw, but Hogg was excellent - watch the first half of the Scotland game to see. Brown was good too, but you can only choose one!

I thought krus was excellent - very physical. There weren't really any other clear stand outs too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:41

LondonTiger wrote:Only saw the one game, so cannot really contribute. Even so surprised to see Kruis's name mentioned. O'Donnell and Hogg must have played really well to be ahead of Robshaw and Brown who both had exemplary matches.
Understand you entirely, but I watched all of the games and still think that the choice of Hogg is beyond doubt and that Le Roux was the best openside of the opening weekend.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:43

RDW_Scotland wrote:
thomh wrote:Woah steady on. Ford's kicking game was dodgy at times but he got our attack going really well and nailed a match winning kick from 45m at the end. Russell looks promising but also made some bad errors - kicking straight into touch, and then carrying the ball out and throwing it away to concede a penalty.

Ford to me is another Farrell . High on technique and low on natural ball skills. An all round good but heavily engineered player. prob cause his dad made him train from age 2 up raspberry

Russell is a much more natural attacking ball player, going to make a few mistakes but potentially a game winner . Personally i much prefer Russell even with a few boobs ups.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:51

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Ah sorry - misremembered.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 9:53

alive555 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Ford to me is another Farrell . High on technique and low on natural ball skills. An all round good but heavily engineered player. prob cause his dad made him train from age 2 up  raspberry

Russell is a much more natural attacking ball player, going to make a few mistakes but potentially a game winner . Personally i much prefer Russell even with a few boobs ups.

Ford certainly ain't another Farrell even if your saying it as a wum  Wink
On a positive note Gregor Townsend must take a bit of credit for what he is doing for Glasgow and identifying and developing Russell

[/quote]

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:13

Ford deserves his place in the team of the weekend. I thought that he had a very good game and is exactly what England have been needing in a 10. Very mobile, attacking intent and his defence is not that bad either.

I have said it for a long time that Farrell Snr is a negative influence in the England coaching setup by constantly wanting his son playing. Farrell Jr suits the England approach from 5 years ago with their one dimensional forwards approach but now, England have a very attacking gameplan and Ford is the key element in that. Farrell Jr's injury was a blessing in disguise for England.

Finn Russell is an absolute breath of fresh air as well, he just seems to enjoy playing, has very good defence and is extremely attacking orientated. I really like his attitude and believe he has a very big future.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:21

I thought Dave Atwood was a brute around the park for England made. A lot of hard yards with short carries tying in two or three defenders each time. Agree that jack McGrath had a good game at loose head.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:22

alive555 wrote:
Ford to me is another Farrell . High on technique and low on natural ball skills. An all round good but heavily engineered player. prob cause his dad made him train from age 2 up  raspberry

George Ford is a hugely natural attacking player. If this is not a wum it shows serious myopia in your viewing. I can only guess you have only seen Ford a couple of times.

In the 2012 AP Semi final he put in the best display I have ever seen from a 10 against the Saracens rush defence, mixing dazzling footwork with good breaks, excellent passing and s highly skilled kicking game. Following year in the final he tormented the Saints back row mercilessly. I was so despondent when he left us - and reckon we would be top of the AP now if he had stayed.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:31

Just saw the official stats and young Jonny Gray had a monster game against the French - 19 tackles, 2 clean lineout steals, 1 turnover, 9 carries, 4 offloads.
Just think of what we would have now if Mrs Gray decided that she'd like a bigger family.

And by bigger, I obviously mean, 'more numerous'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:33

I agree Ford is a good player - its just my opinion that Russell had a much better game this weekend. What a breath of fresh air for Scotland - it so long since we had a good 10 who was both reliable and skilful.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:35

I am not saying that Russell was poor or worse, did not see. I do think however that he will be constantly hamstrung by Laidlaw's service - but until they trust Russell's kicking that is a cross he will have to bear.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:48

LondonTiger wrote:
alive555 wrote:

George Ford is a hugely natural attacking player. If this is not a wum it shows serious myopia in your viewing. I can only guess you have only seen Ford a couple of times.

In the 2012 AP Semi final he put in the best display I have ever seen from a 10 against the Saracens rush defence, mixing dazzling footwork with good breaks, excellent passing and s highly skilled kicking game. Following year in the final he tormented the Saints back row mercilessly. I was so despondent when he left us - and reckon we would be top of the AP now if he had stayed.

We can nail this easily .

Who do u think will be first choice at wc ? Answer Farrell .

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:50

How has that anything to do with whether Ford is an engineered player?

Farrell is - and that may be exactly what the England team need. Ford however is very natural.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:51

LondonTiger wrote:I am not saying that Russell was poor or worse, did not see. I do think however that he will be constantly hamstrung by Laidlaw's service - but until they trust Russell's kicking that is a cross he will have to bear.

Laidlaw was fine yesterday. Nowt wrong with his service at all. He is back to his best at 9.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:54

TJ wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:I am not saying that Russell was poor or worse, did not see. I do think however that he will be constantly hamstrung by Laidlaw's service - but until they trust Russell's kicking that is a cross he will have to bear.

Laidlaw was fine yesterday.  Nowt wrong with his service at all.  He is back to his best at 9.

Can't agree with that - I'm one of Laidlaws biggest fans but thought he was poor yesterday. Well at least, he wasn't at his AI's best!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:08

A stat i just read, Robshaw made 26 tackles against Wales.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:09

alive555 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Surely a wum?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:31

And again Robshaw is overlooked after an outstanding game, oh dear.

Stunned that Joseph isn't at 13 either or Bastaroud.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by rumpelstiltskindoh Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:41

Talupe created a great try, but wasn't there any other 8 on show yesterday who did at least as well? (Its a genuine question, I only watched the Friday night game, then curled up into an unresponsive ball for 24 hours)

rumpelstiltskindoh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:55

yappysnap wrote:And again Robshaw is overlooked after an outstanding game, oh dear.

Stunned that Joseph isn't at 13 either or Bastaroud.

As I said, just my opinion - welcome to post yours!

Agreed on robshaw though - I'll change my team

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 12:02

I had a close look at Watson on iPlayer yesterday, his footwork is dazzling. Not seen that from an English wing since Robinson. We may have something special in the making there, got the advantage of size as well.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 12:06

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:I had a close look at Watson on iPlayer yesterday, his footwork is dazzling. Not seen that from an English wing since Robinson. We may have something special in the making there, got the advantage of size as well.
And since Bath may (possibly) need to release a few players to (presumably) get (stay) under the cap.............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 12:15

There definitely are some positions that had no clear stand outs really.

Hooker, a 2nd lock, 8 and left wing spring to mind.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 12:34

TJ wrote:Russell does indeed look a good prospect - this is is first full time pro year.

ford was not great this weekend.  Charged down twice, aimless kicking, no running threat.  Russell was far better on the evidence of these 3 games
I admit he was charged down but his kicking was not aimless. It was an integral part of the tactics that won England the game. Namely if there is nothing on kick it long. That might not be the most beautiful rugby but it is certainly not aimless.

England's tactics were spot on and he executed them very well.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 12:41

Exiledinborders wrote:
TJ wrote:Russell does indeed look a good prospect - this is is first full time pro year.

ford was not great this weekend.  Charged down twice, aimless kicking, no running threat.  Russell was far better on the evidence of these 3 games
I admit he was charged down but his kicking was not aimless. It was an integral part of the tactics that won England the game. Namely if there is nothing on kick it long. That might not be the most beautiful rugby but it is certainly not aimless.

England's tactics were spot on and he executed them very well.

Its all opinions isn't it. the tactics might have been spot on but I thought his kicking poorly executed. Too much to the players not enough into space - even if kicking long. Kicked away attacking ball a couple of times as well losing 50 m as it was kicked back long - so from possession on the welsh 10 m line it turned into possession on the England 22

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 12:56

Its all about the options available. Bar the charge downs wheere 1 was poor he kicked well with variation. He played well but will play better.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 14:07

doctor_grey wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:I had a close look at Watson on iPlayer yesterday, his footwork is dazzling. Not seen that from an English wing since Robinson. We may have something special in the making there, got the advantage of size as well.
And since Bath may (possibly) need to release a few players to (presumably) get (stay) under the cap.............

Not thinking of splitting the Pisi brothers up are you Doc?

Having said that we will need a 15 to cover the ever injured Foden, Ken is a near as your going to get replacement.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 9 Feb 2015 - 17:09

I see Haskell is getting lots of praise. Terrible defense for Wales' try from Haskell. I wouldnt even pick him for England.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 9 Feb 2015 - 17:18

Russell was the player of the weekend for me, along with Hogg he was sensational.

1 Marler
2 Hartley
3 Cole
4 Gray
5 Toner
6 Haskell
7 Robshaw
8 Parisse
9 Murray
10 Russell
11 Thomas
12 Henshaw
13 Basterau
14 Watson
15 Hogg.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 9 Feb 2015 - 17:37

GunsGerms wrote:I see Haskell is getting lots of praise. Terrible defense for Wales' try from Haskell. I wouldnt even pick him for England.

Other than that error he was top drawer mate, carried well, tackled well and made an impact at the rucks. Definitely done enough to stay in the jersey next week

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Mon 9 Feb 2015 - 19:06

I thought Attwood had a good game in a very intense match.

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 9 Feb 2015 - 19:07

BamBam wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I see Haskell is getting lots of praise. Terrible defense for Wales' try from Haskell. I wouldnt even pick him for England.

Other than that error he was top drawer mate, carried well, tackled well and made an impact at the rucks. Definitely done enough to stay in the jersey next week
and if i was irish i wouldnt pick him for england either

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 9 Feb 2015 - 19:17

15 Hogg
14 Watson
13 Joseph
12 Bennett
11 North
10 Russell
9 Murray
1 Marler
2 Hartley
3 Murray
4 Gray
5 Gray
6 Haskell
7 Robshaw
8 Vunipola

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 9:50

BamBam wrote:

Definitely and along with Robshaw he really fronted up in the tunnel against fierce Welsh provocation.

His legs are still too skinny for his body, neck and head though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 9:52

Nematode wrote:15 Hogg
14 Watson
13 Joseph
12 Bennett
11 North
10 Russell
9  Murray
1 Marler
2 Hartley
3 Murray
4 Gray
5 Gray
6 Haskell
7 Robshaw
8 Vunipola

6 players from a team that lost yet none from the team that beat them!!!!!!

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 10:05

BamBam wrote:

Other than that error he was top drawer mate, carried well, tackled well and made an impact at the rucks on the posts. Definitely done enough to stay in the jersey next week

Fixed

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 11:27

Can we not acknowledge the quality of the carrying too? 10m's out from the line you should be expecting an Int no8 to be able to create something ffs

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 11:31

Its funny that no-one even mentions Marler in the reviews etc...yet he makes every single team.

Shows how much the lad is just quietly improving and is a very good international LH now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 12:29

My stab at it :

15. Hogg - Made a lot of ground against France.
14. Watson - Great performance
13. Bennett - Try saving tackles and an eye for a gap
12. Henshaw - Agreed noone put their hands up at 12 this weekend
11. Thomas - Everytime he got the ball he looked dangerous.
10. Russell - Honorable mention to Ford here but Russel looked more threatening despite being in the losing team.
9. Webb - One of the beacons of hope from Wales.

8. Faletau - Instrumental in turning around what was certain to be an English penalty into a Welsh try from that disintegrating Scrum.
7. Robshaw - Absolutely outstanding.
6. Dusatoir - One of the reasons France dominated the breakdown, a menace at every contact area.
5. Gray Jr - 19 Tackles made 0 missed 2 lineouts stolen 4 recieved. Take a bow
4. Krus - Had never heard of him before. I certainly have now.
3. Murray - Our veteran prop had a hand in all of the points we scored in Paris. Nice to see him dominating other loosies again.
2. Ghiraldini - Whatever was going wrong in Rome for the Azzuri, had nothing to do with Ghiraldini. 17 tackles made and a pretty consistent lineout.
1. Marler - I was impressed with Marler at the weekend. He was part of an English front row that all could have made my team of round 1 pick.

feel free to tell me how wrong I am... even more so if you are brave enough to post up your picks yourself.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next