The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Capello Resigns!

+37
erictheblueuk
braveheart101
Mr H
hornbloweroafc
JoshSansom
marty2086
Beer
Adam D
gboycottnut
George Hotel1895
barrystar
Hoggy_Bear
cherriesfna
wwinterj
Mad for Chelsea
Corporalhumblebucket
liverbnz
JDizzle
Kenny
legendkillar
guildfordbat
EnglishReign
Tranquil Chaos
sportform
John Cregan
Duty281
spencerclarke
Crimey
packofwolves
Steffan
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
kwinigolfer
GG
ncfc_Tooze
Luke
mystiroakey
The Special Juan
41 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Capello Resigns! - Page 3 Empty Capello Resigns!

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fabio Capello has quit as England manager, the Football Association announced on Wednesday night.

Capello resigned following a meeting with FA chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne at Wembley Stadium.

An FA statement read: "The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager."

"This follows a meeting involving FA chairman David Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium.

"The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview.

"In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7497815/Capello-quits-as-England-boss

So where does this leave England?
Who next for the job?
Obviously wor 'Arry is favourite for the job, but can you see him leaving Spurs when they are doing so well in the league?

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Capello Resigns! - Page 3 Empty Re: Capello Resigns!

Post by hornbloweroafc Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:09 am

Crimey wrote:Wayne Rooney has said on Twitter that he wants Redknapp to take over.

Rooney needs to concentrate on his own form before saying who he wants as England manager!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

King Beer wrote:Clive Woodward.

actually that may not be a bad shout, but I'd wait until after the euros, as CW is more of a long-term option IMO (ie aiming to win the world cup in 2018 for instance). Hiddink as a caretaker until the Euros? Did wonders at Chelsea when he took over for a few months...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

Hiddink as caretaker manager for the Euro's, good experience at getting the best out of a poor team (South Korea) and then Harry Redknapp afterwards as full time. That lets Harry get on with Spurs till the end of the season.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:36 am

Hiddink is my short term choice for the following reasons...

1) Has experience getting the best out of teams.
2) Proven track record at International level.
3) AVB won't be at Chelsea come next season at this rate so the Chelsea job would be his.

4) It gives the FA time to scout alternative options.

If the rumours are true that the FA have already picked the backroom team, how is Redknapp going to feel?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Roy Hodgson?!?!?!?! Sorry but what exactly are his credentials for the England job?

Having managed successfully throughout Europe and at international level.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:25 am

I dont want a short term/caretaker manager. Alot of people, myself included, werent too happy about Capello taking us into a major tournament knowing he was leaving immediately after. I'd feel the same about a caretaker. Why have someone take us to the Euros whos not going to be there long term?

Lets face it, we're not going to win it so i'd rather have a full time appointment made, have the manager take HIS squad, implement HIS ideas and put HIS stamp on the squad. Give the young guys invaluable experience and build on it.

There's no point in having a caretaker pick his squad and implement his ideas, then after the tournament start again with a new manager and be back to square one. Get a full time manager appointed and go to the Euros with no pressure.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

live press conference now!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4118956/Watch-live-FA-Press-conference-after-Fabio-Capello-resigns.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:26 pm

Stuart Pearce in charge for Holland game
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:58 pm

Mr H wrote:I dont want a short term/caretaker manager. Alot of people, myself included, werent too happy about Capello taking us into a major tournament knowing he was leaving immediately after. I'd feel the same about a caretaker. Why have someone take us to the Euros whos not going to be there long term?

Lets face it, we're not going to win it so i'd rather have a full time appointment made, have the manager take HIS squad, implement HIS ideas and put HIS stamp on the squad. Give the young guys invaluable experience and build on it.

There's no point in having a caretaker pick his squad and implement his ideas, then after the tournament start again with a new manager and be back to square one. Get a full time manager appointed and go to the Euros with no pressure.

I dont think a caretaker is the solution but I fell its the only way they can do it if the FA want Harry Redknapp as manager.
He wont quit at Spurs at this time of the season and I think he would be happy to relax other the summer after he had heart problems and the court case.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

Here's the possibly England line up under Harry Redknapp:-

Hart

Walker, Dawson, Terry, Cole

Lennon, Gerrard, Parker, Adam Johnson

Rooney
Crouch
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

On the subject of Capello

I was having a discussion (argument) with my brother in law with regards to Capellos legacy

Are we any better off then when he took over ?
Have we won anything ?
Has he brought through players who are going to dominate international games ?
Are the team playing great football ?
Are we any closer to winning a tournament ?

for me the answer to all is NO , yes we have qualified for the world cup and euros but apart from the wally with the brolly we qualify anyway .

He was leaving anyway so lets move forward .

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:

Are we any better off then when he took over ?
Yes - as you said, the last tournament pre-Capello you didn't qualify for.

KingKenny7Heaven wrote: Have we won anything ?
Why would you have done? You're not a top side in the world
KingKenny7Heaven wrote: Has he brought through players who are going to dominate international games ?
No. But it's not his fault they don't exist. Arguably Wilshire is a great addition
KingKenny7Heaven wrote: Are the team playing great football ?
At times, they have played to their full capability. Again, you need a great side to play great football. The majority of the great players who play the great football in the Premier League are not English.
KingKenny7Heaven wrote: Are we any closer to winning a tournament ?
Again - much closer than pre-Capello, seeing as you are actually in the damn thing.

Until England get over this obstacle that is the ridiculous notion that they should be winning tournaments, no manager will ever get the respect they deserve. For England, success is a semi-final.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Electric Demon wrote:Responsibilities like picking the captain?

What next? Were they going to tell him to drop Terry from the squad?

I think it'll be Pearce for the Euros. Then failing actually winning the thing, Redknapp will then replace him

its all abit sudden- we dont know the inns and outs. i total agree it should only be the managers job to choose the team and captain.
The FA should have either (a) insisted Terry never be made captain again the first time he was stripped of it or (b) left the decision up to Capello from the start then none of this would have happened.

Even though Redknapp is the best English manager for the job I don't think he should take it. Unless England win the next World Cup (which isn't going to happen with the current squad) then he will just be the latest in a long line to be slated by the English media.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:51 pm

I think you could have put any top manager in charge of England and we would of qualified for the World Cup and the Euros McLaren was never upto the job and should never of been given it .

The few games England have played well it seemed inspite of Capello rather then because of him . I just dont think he has improved the team but that is just my opinion .

I agree England are not good enough to win a tournament , it would take us playing above ourselves and other teams not playing well , more luck then skill .

The media pressure and the expectations of the fans are far greater then anywhere else . So anyone coming in already is starting at a disadvantage its a poison chalice of a job which is probably why it takes millions to get anyone to take it .

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:51 pm

Every England manager gets villified it's part of the job, even Sir Alf got balsted at times by the media. I think the only one that escaped to much critcism was Terry Venables.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

Mike Bassett...he was good.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:23 pm

"Newcastle manager Alan Pardew and Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill have already made it clear they are not interested in succeeding Capello."

"Harry Redknapp says he has not thought about succeeding Fabio Capello and insists his focus remains on Tottenham."

Redknapp told BBC business editor Robert Peston in December that he thought an Englishman should become England manager once Capello had stood down.

"... It's the pinnacle for any Englishman to manage their country." ... he voiced concern over the reduced contact with players that national managers have to contend with. " I'd find it very difficult," he said. "I'd get very bored, I would imagine. I enjoy the day to day, coming in to work with players, going out on the training pitch every day, seeing the players, being involved every day." Nevertheless, Redknapp said the England job was "difficult to turn down... for any Englishman".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16960250

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:26 pm

Since Alan Pardew as done it, I would also like to announce that I'm currently not interested in the England hotseat
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

- I would doubt now that England would ever have another foreign manager

The same was said after Sven left.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:13 pm

Wednesday 8th February 2012 12pm: "Capello needs to resign as England manager. He defended a racist, and racism is wrong."

Wednesday 8th February 2012 8pm: "Capello's successor had better be English, I don't want no foreigner managing our country"

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:17 pm

Steffan wrote:Wednesday 8th February 2012 12pm: "Capello needs to resign as England manager. He defended a racist, and racism is wrong."

Wednesday 8th February 2012 8pm: "Capello's successor had better be English, I don't want no foreigner managing our country"

Are you implying that that is racism? Because it most certainly isn't. And, since you're Welsh (I think), why are you taking an interest in England?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

Steffan wrote:Wednesday 8th February 2012 12pm: "Capello needs to resign as England manager. He defended a racist, and racism is wrong."

I dont wholeheartedley agree with both comments!

however if your trying to show a stark contrast in the statements- there isnt one. There is nothing racist about saying that an englishman should manage england, you could possibly argue its xenaphobic, however that isnt really the case either.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:Are you implying that that is racism? Because it most certainly isn't. And, since you're Welsh (I think), why are you taking an interest in England?

Yes I am Welsh. I take interest in all international football. Also...Capello leaving is headlines in the UK just incase you didnt know

Im not accusing anyone of racism just pointing out the irony of the situation

Its only a bit of banter anyway but on a serious note I do not understand why people say the manager has to be English

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

Personally I see an inconsistency between the "next England manager must be English", and having an English Football League, in which most of the top clubs are owned and managed by "foreigners" and where most of the players in the top league are "foreign". We even have one club owned by a chicken farmer from far far away. Then again most of the power and water that is provided to these clubs (and elsewhere) is owned by "foreigners" (public utilities). Even the Olympic village has been sold off to "foreigners".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/12/olympic-village-qatari-ruling-family

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Are you implying that that is racism? Because it most certainly isn't. And, since you're Welsh (I think), why are you taking an interest in England?

It doesn't really matter who succeeds as the new England manager as the in the end of the day the matches played in Tournament Finals are won and lost out there on the pitch, i.e. it depends on how good the players are, and England it seems just don't have enough good quality players to win anything anymore as was the case back in 1966 when England at that time had a superb squad heading into the World Cup Finals on home soil, with players of the calibre of Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Gordon Banks, Alan Ball and the finest striker ever produced by England the great Jimmy Greaves.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

i think the point i simple.

football is our national sport, i supose the highest honour for an english manager should be to manage hes own nation. its sort of romantic, abit oldschool,but it just feels right.

we have tried with some forign managers, and although they have had very good qualifying records, we pay them extortionate amounts of money because they demend that sort of pay- it doesnt instil us fans with there passion for the job.

sport is about passion and nationality, if we are gonna loose, lets loose as a country.

football for all its faults is about the only top team sport we have that is actually full of english players, the FA are not like the RFU or the ECB.

Dont get me wrong i love the cricket and rugby teams in teh same way- however there is something about england and football that goes to our core. we are so passionate, we wont to believe we can do it as england, we honestly believe the passion we have as fans should be with the players and our national coach- lets be honest sven and cappello are not the passionate

Last edited by mystiroakey on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm

gboycottnut wrote:England it seems just don't have enough good quality players to win anything anymore as was the case back in 1966 when England at that time had a superb squad heading into the World Cup Finals on home soil, with players of the calibre of Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Gordon Banks, Alan Ball and the finest striker ever produced by England the great Jimmy Greaves.

Totally agree

In some ways winning the World Cup in **** was the worst thing that could happen to you in the long run as now every tournament your in...everyone from the players, press and fans get this mentality of "Its our year again" "Spirit of ****" "Just like Alf Ramseys boys" etc and then you dont do that well and its not because you are rubbish its just because other teams are better which there is no shame in but then everyone is looking to blame someone for you not winning it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

Steffan wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:England it seems just don't have enough good quality players to win anything anymore as was the case back in 1966 when England at that time had a superb squad heading into the World Cup Finals on home soil, with players of the calibre of Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Gordon Banks, Alan Ball and the finest striker ever produced by England the great Jimmy Greaves.

Totally agree

In some ways winning the World Cup in **** was the worst thing that could happen to you in the long run as now every tournament your in...everyone from the players, press and fans get this mentality of "Its our year again" "Spirit of ****" "Just like Alf Ramseys boys" etc and then you dont do that well and its not because you are rubbish its just because other teams are better which there is no shame in but then everyone is looking to blame someone for you not winning it

very odd comment. we will take the win and we dont blame anyone for not winning stuff.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:we will take the win

Fair enough

mystiroakey wrote:and we dont blame anyone for not winning stuff

Disagree. Rooney. Beckham and missed penalty takers have all come back as figures of hate

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

Steffan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:we will take the win

Fair enough

mystiroakey wrote:and we dont blame anyone for not winning stuff

Disagree. Rooney. Beckham and missed penalty takers have all come back as figures of hate

fans react at the time, its common for all fans of all countries and all sports!!,why do you want to brand england fans in this way?- when its the same for everyone- blimey you would have thought that wales didnt play in the RWC 2011 by your comments!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:48 pm

mystiroakey wrote:blimey you would have thought that wales didnt play in the RWC 2011 by your comments!

I dont get that comment Headscratch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:51 pm

were you on a desert island then?

dont you remeber all the fuss and blame thrown about!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

mystiroakey wrote:were you on a desert island then?

Yeah totally. I hate people who blame Alain Rolland. The red card was slightly harsh being as most refs normally give a yellow (like last Sunday) but a spear tackle is against the rules and Warburton should have known better. Wales still had chances to win the game even with 14 men but we just wernt good enough to finish them off

The difference is though we didnt blame Warren Gatland (who is not Welsh as you know)

Going back to English football...I still never understand why the managers are always to blame. One of my best mates is English and its always "If we had so and so incharge we would be so much better etc"

I also still dont understand the obsession with some people that the manager has to be English

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

"The difference is though we didnt blame Warren Gatland (who is not Welsh as you know)"

there is no diffrernce- its fans finding something to blame! thats all

sometimes you need a bit of luck to win a cup, we all know that. its life- we all react and plenty of fans from any nation will make a scapegoat of someone.

us english fans are no different from welsh fans, or french fans, or scottish fans, or spainish fans. we are all the same.

"Going back to English football...I still bever understand why the
managers are always to blame. One of my best mates is English and its
always "If we had so and so incharge we would be so much better etc""

what the heck are you talking about- fans blame managers all the time, in all sports and from all countries- its not exculsive to english football

go on the international rugby board- its just post after post blaming robinson if you dont believe the truth.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

Steffan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:were you on a desert island then?

Yeah totally. I hate people who blame Alain Rolland. The red card was slightly harsh being as most refs normally give a yellow (like last Sunday) but a spear tackle is against the rules and Warburton should have known better. Wales still had chances to win the game even with 14 men but we just wernt good enough to finish them off

The difference is though we didnt blame Warren Gatland (who is not Welsh as you know)

Going back to English football...I still never understand why the managers are always to blame. One of my best mates is English and its always "If we had so and so incharge we would be so much better etc"

I also still dont understand the obsession with some people that the manager has to be English

This annoying obsession which people have believing that a England manager has to be English is a ridiculous and old fashioned thing to have, particularly in this modern day and age where in many team sports such as rugby and cricket, national teams have head coaches/managers who are born in another country. Examples include Zimbabwean Andy Flower who has done an excellent job with the England cricket team, All Black Warren Gatland who has also done an excellent job with the Wales rugby team and finally Englishman Andy Robinson who has tried his best to improve the standards of Scottish rugby.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:09 pm

mystiroakey wrote:fans blame managers all the time, in all sports and from all countries- its not exculsive to english football

Ok you do have a point

Just seems to be though that the England job has been given this reputation a poisoned chalice although its hard to think that given the massive wage they are on. My mate (the English one) reckons that the new manager will be on a quarter of that. Dont know how true that is mind I havnt seen anything in the news today suggesting that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:16 pm

"Andy Robinson who has tried his best to improve the standards of Scottish rugby."

you for real- the guy is getting shredded in scotland.

"This annoying obsession which people have believing that a England manager has to be English"

this is not an english issue, its a feeling people have, its a feeling from the core.

you menetion andy flowers(brilliant coach) and gatland(again brilliant)

i suppose the difference with the above is that they are invariably coaching mercenary outfits! they are more like your average club team rather than your national team.

i have no issue with the above at all, however think about it logically.

the england football team is and has allways(pretty much) been almost totally full of english working class background players.

our cricket team is full of english middle class and south africans.

the question should be - who is gonna be able to motivate and relate better to this the english working class team- an english working class manager, or a contental bloke that cant speak much english, who has no idea of there culture.

just throwing a couple of ideas out there in fairness- but i know my comment has a certain amount of truth behind it.

Personally i was abit gutted about capello leaving- he did a pretty good job for us, i am more gutted how the FA treated him and in all fairness i resoect his stance in leaving.

If you are gonna pay someone that sort of money- give him the chance to earn it, but more importanatly give him the respect he deserves and let him pick the team and captain!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

"The england football team is and has allways(pretty much) been almost totally full of english working class background players."

Hard to associate the idea of working class blackground with these overpaid English footballers, some of whom at times act like spoilt immature kids.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

sportsville wrote:Here's the possibly England line up under Harry Redknapp:-

Hart

Walker, Dawson, Terry, Cole

Lennon, Gerrard, Parker, Adam Johnson

Rooney
Crouch

Wouldn't Harry try to get Gareth Bale to play for England in the way that NZ Rugby Coach managed to get NZ Full Back Shane Howarth to play for the Wales Rugby Team in 1999?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

gboycottnut wrote:"The england football team is and has allways(pretty much) been almost totally full of english working class background players."

Hard to associate the idea of working class blackground with these overpaid English footballers, some of whom at times act like spoilt immature kids.

thats true, however an english manager that has invariably grown up in a very similar way could be the better option.

my thoughts on the english manager- i only have 3 options.

1. redknapp, he is a people person- he is english,he can relate to the players, he is respected massively by our players and he is englands best manager.

2. mourinhio. best manager out there- loves england as well- think he would rather get a job at united or city, so i doubt he will take the job- he has allready turned it down once.

3. pearce- this is a long term game plan- give it to him with a 10 year plus contract- dont but pressure on him to produce results- let him build into the role, give him all the backing and nuture him.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:"The england football team is and has allways(pretty much) been almost totally full of english working class background players."

thats true, however an english manager that has invariably grown up in a very similar way could be the better option.

1. redknapp, he is a people person- he is english,he can relate to the players, he is respected massively by our players and he is englands best manager.

2. mourinhio. best manager out there- loves england as well- think he would rather get a job at united or city, so i doubt he will take the job- he has allready turned it down once.

3. pearce- this is a long term game plan- give it to him with a 10 year plus contract- dont but pressure on him to produce results- let him build into the role, give him all the backing and nuture him.

What about England trying to get Gary Linekar as the head coach, with Mark Lawrenson as his assistant coach.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:38 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

What about England trying to get Gary Linekar as the head coach, with Mark Lawrenson as his assistant coach.

errr lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:38 pm

ps Even the Royal family are "foreigners" (germans and greek) Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:01 pm

If I was in Redknapp's position, I'm not convinced I'd accept the job regardless of how 'prestigious' it supposedly is - it really has become a poison chalice, and the last manager to leave with his reputation enhanced was Robby Bobson and even that was on the back of only one good tournament when we had (by England's standards post 1970) a very good group of players.
Since Robson, we've had (excluding a couple of caretakers):
Graham Taylor - dubbed Graham Failure by Spitting Image and turned into a turnip by the tabloids

Terrry Venables - had a reasonably good tournament in Euro 96 but forced out for non-football reasons (dodgy finances, so not in the least like Harry)

Glenn Hoddle - Probably didn't get quite the best out of the 98 squad, but then there was the absurdity of the Eileen Drewery stuff and Hoddle's wierd comments about disability.

Kevin Keagan - a bit like Harry now, was widely wanted as the manager, but walked out of his own volition because he didn't find international management to suit him . Was always considered a good motivator rather than a quality tactician, and it was in the latter area he was found wanting.

Sven - came in with a good reputation from club level but failed to acheive much more with England than his predecessors and then became a tabloid target over greed - fake sheiks etc

Steve McLaren - as with Taylor, got the job on the back of relative success with a smaller club, and as with Taylor, proved to not be up to the job. Became McClown or 'The Wally with the Brolly'

and finally we get to Capello - came in with arguably THE finest CV from club football in the last 2 decades, and has perhaps had a bit more success than his immediate predecessor, but has been basically vilified by the press ever since the WC failure against Germany, and decided to walk away when he felt the FA were undermining his authority. He did make a mistake in giving the captaincy back to John Terry, and for someone who was supposed to be the strict disciplinarian, this was a particularly poor decision. It is also rumoured that the squad is very cliquey and fractured.

As I said, I don't know why Harry would want the job - it doesn't seem to suit his strengths (as a motivator and in day-to-day working with the players) and the press will dig for any dirt plus will crucify him for each and every defeat.

I actually think it would suit Pearce better - he's more used to the international set up, and is relatively young and ambitious so will be looking to make his mark rather than preserve a reputation built elsewhere. That he is also something of a folk hero because of the Euro 96 penalty exploits won't harm his standing with the media.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

That's all very well giving Pearce a long contract but that just isn't going to work. How can the FA, the management and players prevent pressure from the english media. They want instant success and will always build up the hopes of a nation and then blame the manager and players when it all goes wrong.

Mourinho won't take the job. He has worked here before and know what the media are like when it comes to England and he will be slated for his style of play.

As good a manager as Hodgson is he had a great chance when he was at Liverpool and failed and I can't see him doing any better with England. It could be that the jobs too big for him.

Redknapp is the obvious choice. He's similar to Robson and Venables in his approach and a great man manager and motivator. The players obviously respect him as well seeing as some have already said they want him to take over. Whether he will want to leave Spurs only he knows but I don't think he would take the job until after the Euro's.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

"That's all very well giving Pearce a long contract but that just isn't
going to work. How can the FA, the management and players prevent
pressure from the english media. They want instant success and will
always build up the hopes of a nation and then blame the manager and
players when it all goes wrong."

i am talking about a perfect world here

"Mourinho won't take the job. He has worked here before and know what the
media are like when it comes to England and he will be slated for his
style of play."

i agree he wont take it, but he is loved here and he loves it here, he will be in this country pretty soon- id personally love him to take over at totenham- if redknapp comes on board with england

"As good a manager as Hodgson is he had a great chance when he was at
Liverpool and failed and I can't see him doing any better with England.
It could be that the jobs too big for him"

he isnt good enough- if we have to go that low then get a foriegn manager

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:40 pm

A perfect world in football only exists in Catalunya.

I think Mourinho would only go to United or City if he does come back to England. Don't think Spurs are big enough or rich enough for him.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:41 pm

yeah i agree- united or city

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"That's all very well giving Pearce a long contract but that just isn't
going to work. How can the FA, the management and players prevent
pressure from the english media. They want instant success and will
always build up the hopes of a nation and then blame the manager and
players when it all goes wrong."

i am talking about a perfect world here

"Mourinho won't take the job. He has worked here before and know what the
media are like when it comes to England and he will be slated for his
style of play."

i agree he wont take it, but he is loved here and he loves it here, he will be in this country pretty soon- id personally love him to take over at totenham- if redknapp comes on board with england

"As good a manager as Hodgson is he had a great chance when he was at
Liverpool and failed and I can't see him doing any better with England.
It could be that the jobs too big for him"

he isnt good enough- if we have to go that low then get a foriegn manager

Don't know why people write Hodgson off so quickly. He's got a pretty good CV and more experience as an international boss than any of the other candidates (or Capello for that matter).
And, if it's not the manager but the players stopping England from winning a major tournament, why bother spending loads of money hiring an expensive foreign manager who may, or may not, get us a little bit closer to winning, but won't actually get us winning?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next