The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Capello Resigns!

+37
erictheblueuk
braveheart101
Mr H
hornbloweroafc
JoshSansom
marty2086
Beer
Adam D
gboycottnut
George Hotel1895
barrystar
Hoggy_Bear
cherriesfna
wwinterj
Mad for Chelsea
Corporalhumblebucket
liverbnz
JDizzle
Kenny
legendkillar
guildfordbat
EnglishReign
Tranquil Chaos
sportform
John Cregan
Duty281
spencerclarke
Crimey
packofwolves
Steffan
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
kwinigolfer
GG
ncfc_Tooze
Luke
mystiroakey
The Special Juan
41 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Capello Resigns! - Page 2 Empty Capello Resigns!

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fabio Capello has quit as England manager, the Football Association announced on Wednesday night.

Capello resigned following a meeting with FA chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne at Wembley Stadium.

An FA statement read: "The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager."

"This follows a meeting involving FA chairman David Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium.

"The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview.

"In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7497815/Capello-quits-as-England-boss

So where does this leave England?
Who next for the job?
Obviously wor 'Arry is favourite for the job, but can you see him leaving Spurs when they are doing so well in the league?

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Capello Resigns! - Page 2 Empty Re: Capello Resigns!

Post by sportform Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 pm

If the FA are going to pick an English manager there are only four candidates:-

Harry Redknapp
Roy Hodgson
Stuart Pearce
Alan Pardew
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Electric Demon wrote:I love the irony - Capello has been forced out for standing up for the fundamentals of the English legal system. The same legal system that Redknapp has just benefitted from Laugh

Then this is a country where its acceptable to boo a player who reported being racially abused, and applaud and chant for the abuser

As Alex Ferguson once said, but in a completely different context - Football. Bloody hell.

No, that's just some fascist Chelsea fans who are, fortunately, the minority.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Duty281 wrote:This is the list of contenders, I feel.

Contenders

Harry Redknapp
Stuart Pearce
Roy Hodgson
Jose Mourinho
Martin O'Neill
Guss Hiddink
Scolari
Marcello Lippi
Alan Curbishley
Big Sam
Alan Shearer
Tony Adams

Yes I'm trawling the dregs...
Redknapp for England?
Mourinho for Spurs?

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:35 pm

I wasn't referring to Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:35 pm

The Sky Sports website have listed Arsene Wenger as a contender. Seriously?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Electric Demon wrote:I wasn't referring to Chelsea

ok- so what are you referring to then?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 pm

sportsville wrote:If the FA are going to pick an English manager there are only four candidates:-

Harry Redknapp
Roy Hodgson
Stuart Pearce
Alan Pardew

I suspect West Ham supporters would like to clinch promotion and then give you Big Sam's name! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Electric Demon wrote:I wasn't referring to Chelsea

Liverpool?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:37 pm

My issue is I don't think England have the "players" to be consistently a major player in the European / World Cup tournaments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Next Permanent England Manager Odds (SkyBet)

Harry Redknapp 2/7
Stuart Pearce 5/1
Guus Hiddink 7/1
Jose Mourinho 12/1
Roy Hodgson 14/1
Alan Pardew 14/1
Arsene Wenger 18/1
Martin O'Neill 25/1
Pep Guardiola 25/1
Rafael Benítez 33/1
Roberto Mancini 33/1
Sam Allardyce 40/1
Brendan Rodgers 40/1
Carlo Ancelotti 50/1
Sven Goran Eriksson 50/1
Tony Pulis 50/1
David Moyes 50/1
Marcelo Lippi 66/1
David Beckham 66/1
Paul Lambert 66/1
Mark Hughes 66/1
Alex Ferguson 66/1
Steve Bruce 66/1
Frank Rijkaard 100/1
Phil Scolari 100/1
Steve McClaren 100/1
Gianfranco Zola 100/1

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Nore Staat wrote:My issue is I don't think England have the "players" to be consistently a major player in the European / World Cup tournaments.

I think anyone outside of England knew this though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:41 pm

I would have thought that Benitez is more likely than Mourinho, Wenger, O'Neill and Guardiola.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Pathetic!

He walks out because he felt undermind? What would he have done if for example Ferdinand led a walk out in protest against a player who racially abused his brother? What if Rooney and Young joined their Man Utd team-mate?

I am afraid Capello you are a prize moron. He should've dropped Terry because how on earth can he expect a player woefully out of form and under the microscope to perform at a major tournament?

Poor excuse of a coach.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Fabio Capello...not the first Italian to abandon a sinking ship

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 pm

your fishing arnt you?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Steffan wrote:Fabio Capello...not the first Italian to abandon a sinking ship

And they've begun Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:07 pm

On 5 February 2010, following allegations regarding Terry's private life, Fabio Capello announced that Terry was removed as the captain of the England team, five months before a major tournament (World Cup: 11 June to 11 July 2010). John Terry's performance goes to pot. England perform poorly at the World Cup (they look disorganised), although they do reach the last 16.

On 3 February 2012, the FA stripped the England captaincy of John Terry following racial abuse allegations against Queens Park Rangers' player Anton Ferdinand, five months before a major tournament (European Cup: 8 June to 1 July 2012). On 8 February 2012 Capello resigns.

Personally I don't think John Terry has recovered (his form) since the last time he was sacked of the England Captaincy in 2010.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 pm

I for one am not sorry to see Capello go and hope Terry goes with him .

With one friendly the only game between now and the end of the season there is no need to panic , put a caretaker in charge for that ie Stuart Pearce .

If Harry Redknapp is the FAs choice then sort something out NOW with Spurs so he can take over when the season ends , he would have a month to then get his ideas across before the Euros start.

Will the FA look at Jose though ?

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:25 pm

id love to see england with arry- pay him enough money so he doesnt have to try and cheat the uk tax system(your obviously not that good at it arry)

and mourinhio can go to totenham, best manager without doubt and perfect for totenham.

mourinhio would be the only foriegn manager i would be happy with as the england man- but he has allready refused it once

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 pm

What does England need in their next manager?

English?
Inspire the players?
Makes them want to play for the shirt?
No nonsense manager?
Plays attractive football?

Only one man for the job, I know everyone is thinking it. Ian Holloway. Yahoo

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Evra was not booed for reporting racial abuse, he was booed because in Liverpool fans' opinion he lied. Was Suarez proved to have racially abused Evra beyond reasonable doubt? No. One man's word was believed over another which is an odd precedent to set to say the least. The FAs report had more holes than an old bucket. I'm not trying to rake over old ground or start a debate on a now tedious subject, just trying to put over the other side of the story. That's all I'm saying about it.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Wayne Rooney has said on Twitter that he wants Redknapp to take over.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 pm

How about a job share:

Mourinho and O'Neill I feel could work harmoniously together.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:How about a job share:

Mourinho and O'Neill I feel could work harmoniously together.

you what?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Harry Redknapp will be 65 next month (2nd March). In November he had a heart operation. I suppose he will have to take the England job considering he said he has always wanted it and he is "getting on" (assuming he is offered the position).

I assume this will be his last managerial position and will probably take up the reigns full time after the premiership season is over. I hope he makes use of the championship players as well as premiership players. I also hope he is able to get premiership teams to invest more in developing local footballing skills and local talent.

For me having a well balance well organised team is key. I have never been one that has agreed with the dictum that you have to play your best individual players - when that means playing a right winger in a left winger role etc. You need to play the best team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 pm

well what can you say? The FA have made a right mess of this one, first by dallying, then by taking an @rse-covering half-measure (you can still pick Terry, but you can't make him captain), somehow they thought it wouldn't bother the guy they appolinted to make these decisions (despite not having even talked to him before taking the decision).

Capello is absolutely right to resign IMO, I was saying when the FA first announced the decision to strip Terry that as a coach I wouldn't like anyone telling me who could or couldn't captain the side. Well done to Capello for standing up for what he believes in clap

As for the next manager, it will be Redknapp because people think it should be an Englishman and he's the best available. I'd rather Hiddink, Mourinho or O'Neill because 'Arry hasn't actually won anything (or even worked at a top club), but with Rooney coming out saying it should be Redknapp it looks like a done deal.

Disgusted with the way the FA have dealt with the whole affair, shall probably support France (my second country) at the Euros.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by wwinterj Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Alan Pardew ;-)
wwinterj
wwinterj

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:well what can you say? The FA have made a right mess of this one, first by dallying, then by taking an @rse-covering half-measure (you can still pick Terry, but you can't make him captain), somehow they thought it wouldn't bother the guy they appolinted to make these decisions (despite not having even talked to him before taking the decision).

Capello is absolutely right to resign IMO, I was saying when the FA first announced the decision to strip Terry that as a coach I wouldn't like anyone telling me who could or couldn't captain the side. Well done to Capello for standing up for what he believes in Capello Resigns! - Page 2 1710857839

As for the next manager, it will be Redknapp because people think it should be an Englishman and he's the best available. I'd rather Hiddink, Mourinho or O'Neill because 'Arry hasn't actually won anything (or even worked at a top club), but with Rooney coming out saying it should be Redknapp it looks like a done deal.

Disgusted with the way the FA have dealt with the whole affair, shall probably support France (my second country) at the Euros.

agree with your feelings on the FA- however what a ridiculas reason to not support your country!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 pm

come on FA.
we need to hire the most talented manager in teh country,
a tactical genius, one who can handle the pressure.
step Forward
Spoiler:
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:well what can you say? The FA have made a right mess of this one, first by dallying, then by taking an @rse-covering half-measure (you can still pick Terry, but you can't make him captain), somehow they thought it wouldn't bother the guy they appolinted to make these decisions (despite not having even talked to him before taking the decision).

Capello is absolutely right to resign IMO, I was saying when the FA first announced the decision to strip Terry that as a coach I wouldn't like anyone telling me who could or couldn't captain the side. Well done to Capello for standing up for what he believes in Capello Resigns! - Page 2 1710857839

agree with your feelings on the FA- however what a ridiculas reason to not support your country!

That was actually tongue-in-cheek, though re-reading my post it's not obvious at all is it? I shall of course be supporting my beloved England as always, but really feel the FA have messed this one up completely. What's that Latin phrase again "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?", who're the FA held accountable to?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 pm

good stuff dude!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:12 am

Really not that fussed about this myself.
Did the FA make a mess of it? Probably
Did Capello use it as a convenient excuse to get out of the job? Possibly
Were we going to win Euro 2012 under Capello? Probably not
Will we win Euro 2012 under Redknapp (or whoever)? Probably not
Must admit though I do think that the coaches/managers of a national team should be from that nation, so in that sense some good will probably come out of this, IMO at least.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 am

So Harry Redknapp would consider leaving a club whose fans sang his name in the last match and whose owners have stuck by him despite the tax trial respecting the maxim 'innocent until proven guilty' for an absolute shower in the FA who have undermined their manager because they did not take the same view about John Terry? The FA did not even have the courtesy to talk to Capello beforehand to give him a chance to retain his dignity in public by putting on a joint show.

Good luck to Redknapp if he's going to do that - he knows the pack drill well enough, the honeymoon would soon end and he's very good at being all tetchy to the press when things don't go his way.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 am

Harry Redknapp would be a fool to leave the Spurs job to take on the England position, and one thing Harry isn't is a fool.
I think Roy Hodgson will take the job if its offered him, as he's not going to pull up any trees at WBA.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 am

What about bringing back Steve McClaren for a second term as England manager. McClaren now has acquired the experience of managing clubs in Europe and in England.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 am

The word is that the FA pushed / sacked Capello - basically it seems he was forced to resign.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:34 am

Warning - image contains swearing (but its too funny to not post!)

Spoiler:

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 am

And another - Harry's application for the England job:

Spoiler:

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 am

gboycottnut wrote:What about bringing back Steve McClaren for a second term as England manager. McClaren now has acquired the experience of managing clubs in Europe and in England.

I think you should leave the forum and never return.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:11 am

What Ive yet to see is any criticism of John Terry, does he care about anyone but himself?

Wether hes guilty or not a decent person would have stepped aside not wanting to tarnish the captaincy and to shun the spotlight but hes too arrogant to do such a thing

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:11 am

I would like to see either John Toshack or Gary Megson get the job.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 am

Adam D wrote:I would like to see either John Toshack or Gary Megson get the job.

I refer you to my earlier post.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 am

I think John Terry should at least have the decency to publicly thank Capello for sticking up for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 am

Electric Demon wrote:I think John Terry should at least have the decency to publicly thank Capello for sticking up for him.

Probably not a wise move, he'll look stupif when he's found guilty.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:26 am

As if he's not going to look stupid already Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am

Roy Hodgson?!?!?!?! Sorry but what exactly are his credentials for the England job? It would be Steve McClown all over again. The England coach needs to be able to blend a bunch of over-hyped egos into a well-oiled, winning team, and for that he needs to be respected by the players.

The best candidate is Mourinho, but he's not English and is probably smart enough to stay away from the job anyway. Hiddink, O'Neill two other good choices, but again, not English. I suspect 'Arry will get it, the media will love him for a couple of months, and then turn on him as usual, bring out lines like "England need a top-class manager, this guy hasn't won anything" much as they did while McClaren was floundering. It's a vicious circle I'm afraid.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:42 am

- It certainly is ironic that Capello as resigned defending the honour of the man that he stripped of the captaincy for having no honour...

- I would say it is highly likely that Harry Redknapp will be England manager though I would imagine that he wouldn't want Capello to have resigned...

- Say Redknapp leaves Spurs now and takes the England job and England struggle out at the group stage without Rooney - what would be his future? Yes he would be likely to be retained as he only had a few months in the job but surely his reign into 2014 would be tainted and he would struggle to come back from it.

- I would doubt now that England would ever have another foreign manager

- That said, I think that England must go for someone who is primarily a tactician or has lots of experience managing at International level. I would like to see Guus Hiddink in the frame or even someone like Rafa Benitez. Yes he has his flaws but he is a superb cup style manager able to match better quality sides on the pitch.

- The candidate in my opinion needs to be tactically flexible and savvy, which aren't Harry's strengths. That said I would imagine that he would engender a lot of good will behind the team and relieve some pressure.

- If he is in charge should we have a sweepstake to determine how long before England are "down to the bare bones"?!

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 am

Benitez is a decent shout. I don't particularly like his style and he has a few faults, but there's also no doubting that he's very very good at knock-out football. Could we get him in just for the finals and let someone else do the qualifying bit? Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Benitez is a decent shout. I don't particularly like his style and he has a few faults, but there's also no doubting that he's very very good at knock-out football. Could we get him in just for the finals and let someone else do the qualifying bit? Very Happy

Gareth Barry as the new England captain then Laugh

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 am

Clive Woodward.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next