The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Capello Resigns!

+37
erictheblueuk
braveheart101
Mr H
hornbloweroafc
JoshSansom
marty2086
Beer
Adam D
gboycottnut
George Hotel1895
barrystar
Hoggy_Bear
cherriesfna
wwinterj
Mad for Chelsea
Corporalhumblebucket
liverbnz
JDizzle
Kenny
legendkillar
guildfordbat
EnglishReign
Tranquil Chaos
sportform
John Cregan
Duty281
spencerclarke
Crimey
packofwolves
Steffan
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
kwinigolfer
GG
ncfc_Tooze
Luke
mystiroakey
The Special Juan
41 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Capello Resigns! - Page 4 Empty Capello Resigns!

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fabio Capello has quit as England manager, the Football Association announced on Wednesday night.

Capello resigned following a meeting with FA chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne at Wembley Stadium.

An FA statement read: "The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager."

"This follows a meeting involving FA chairman David Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium.

"The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview.

"In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7497815/Capello-quits-as-England-boss

So where does this leave England?
Who next for the job?
Obviously wor 'Arry is favourite for the job, but can you see him leaving Spurs when they are doing so well in the league?

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Capello Resigns! - Page 4 Empty Re: Capello Resigns!

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:50 pm

not a fan of hodgson, cant see him commanding any respect from the england players.

i will add i am a palace fan as well.However i think we need someone with an exeptional personality, over a CV. its all about having the bottle to stick with your decsions as an england manager.

hodgsons had more clubs than hot dinners

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:08 pm

I just don't think Hodgson is good enough. You say he has a good CV but I don't agree.
Yes he has managed a lot of club and international sides but what has he actually won as a manager. Are a few Swedish and Danish trophies such a great achievement?
He didn't win anything with Inter or in England. One good season at Fulham doesn't make him a top English manager.
As for having International experience with all due respect managing Switzerland, UAE and Finland is hardly a good comparison to managing England.
Look at his managerial record apart from Malmo and Halmstad (both of which he was at for 4 years) and Fulham (3 years) he is in and out of jobs every year or two. Doesn't that say something about how good or bad he is?

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:27 pm

braveheart101 wrote:I just don't think Hodgson is good enough. You say he has a good CV but I don't agree.
Yes he has managed a lot of club and international sides but what has he actually won as a manager. Are a few Swedish and Danish trophies such a great achievement?
He didn't win anything with Inter or in England. One good season at Fulham doesn't make him a top English manager.
As for having International experience with all due respect managing Switzerland, UAE and Finland is hardly a good comparison to managing England.
Look at his managerial record apart from Malmo and Halmstad (both of which he was at for 4 years) and Fulham (3 years) he is in and out of jobs every year or two. Doesn't that say something about how good or bad he is?

You may be right about Hodgson, but I do think this obsession with having won things being a pre-requisite for the England post is a little mis-guided.
Roger Lemerre hadn't won much before he took France to the Euro championship in 2000 IIRC. Joachim Low never won much as a club coach either.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:40 pm

hornbloweroafc wrote:Since Alan Pardew as done it, I would also like to announce that I'm currently not interested in the England hotseat
In cricketing circles I think that's known as doing a Jason Ratcliffe Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:05 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
hornbloweroafc wrote:Since Alan Pardew as done it, I would also like to announce that I'm currently not interested in the England hotseat
In cricketing circles I think that's known as doing a Jason Ratcliffe Very Happy

Corporal - not convinced too many on the footy threads will be that aware of Rats. However, I am and liked it! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:I just don't think Hodgson is good enough. You say he has a good CV but I don't agree.

You may be right about Hodgson, but I do think this obsession with having won things being a pre-requisite for the England post is a little mis-guided.
Roger Lemerre hadn't won much before he took France to the Euro championship in 2000 IIRC. Joachim Low never won much as a club coach either.
Lemerre was assistant when France won the World Cup in 1998 though and apart from 3 players the squad was exactly the same in Euro 2000 so wasn't such a hard job. Look what happened in 2002 World Cup when he changed some of the team France went out in the first round.
Low might not have won much but he was also Germany's assistant before he took over so both those examples are totally different to Hodgson.

I don't think it's a pre-requisite to have won trophies as a manager but it should be someone proven at a high level and Hodgson isn't. It is easy to take over a struggling team and keep them from relegation because whatever happens you can't lose. Avoid relegation and you are a hero get relegated and it is your predecessors fault not yours.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm

Lemerre is a poor example, he was a rubbish coach who got lucky enough to coach a great team. And even then he nearly stuffed it up. And as soon as a couple of players got injured in 02 it was embarrassing.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:42 pm

to be honest if the FA cant get harry then they will have rightfully fked up.

he can play out the season with totenham,

every man has a price- harry wouldnt turn down 8 mill.

no one would begrudge him that surely- he deserves it- infact any england manager deserves it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:47 pm

braveheart101 wrote:
It is easy to take over a struggling team and keep them from relegation because whatever happens you can't lose.

Braveheart - that's absolutely right and probably explains why Kenny Dalgish got such a warm welcome after Roy Hodgson had been unfairly hounded out of Liverpool by those unwilling to give a good manager and decent man even half a chance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:49 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
It is easy to take over a struggling team and keep them from relegation because whatever happens you can't lose.

Braveheart - that's absolutely right and probably explains why Kenny Dalgish got such a warm welcome after Roy Hodgson had been unfairly hounded out of Liverpool by those unwilling to give a good manager and decent man even half a chance.

guildford you make the best point as to why hodgson cannot and BETTER not be england manager. We need a strong manager with a great personality, someone that is respected by the fans and players. Hodgson isnt that person.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:36 am

Mystiroakey - I'm probably not the best one to judge as I'm misguided enough to believe that football fans and players should have an iota of intelligence.

Just time before bed to slate a couple of Man United players who have far more vanity than sense. Rooney and Ferdinand. Perfectly understandable that they should have their own preferences as to who should be the next England manager. Totally inappropriate for them to tweet now to the nation that it should be Redknapp. How would the United Board react if Ferguson quit and these two then tweeted who his replacement should be? It is not their decision and they shouldn't try to influence matters so blatantly.

These two are going to have to play for and work for the man finally appointed to manage England. It may be Redknapp but it may not. They certainly don't know and are hardly helping to pave the way for a smooth start if it isn't.

If the next England manager isn't Redknapp, I suggest he - whoever he is - tell Rooney and Ferdinand to b*gg*r off to Spurs if they want to play for Redknapp so much.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:11 am

guildfordbat wrote:Mystiroakey - I'm probably not the best one to judge as I'm misguided enough to believe that football fans and players should have an iota of intelligence.

Just time before bed to slate a couple of Man United players who have far more vanity than sense. Rooney and Ferdinand. Perfectly understandable that they should have their own preferences as to who should be the next England manager. Totally inappropriate for them to tweet now to the nation that it should be Redknapp. How would the United Board react if Ferguson quit and these two then tweeted who his replacement should be? It is not their decision and they shouldn't try to influence matters so blatantly.

These two are going to have to play for and work for the man finally appointed to manage England. It may be Redknapp but it may not. They certainly don't know and are hardly helping to pave the way for a smooth start if it isn't.

If the next England manager isn't Redknapp, I suggest he - whoever he is - tell Rooney and Ferdinand to b*gg*r off to Spurs if they want to play for Redknapp so much.
Totally agree that no player should mention publicly who they want as manager.
What happens if the FA want someone else or Harry turns the job down will Rooney then not give his all for the new manager because he didn't want him to get the job?
Ferdinand spends far too much time on twitter and should keep his opinions to himself as he is still part of the squad even though I think his England days are numbered.

As for Hodgson not having a chance at Liverpool he had 6 months and left them in the bottom 3. He lost the players respect and the fans turned against him. What were the Liverpool board supposed to do let him stay and continue having poor results which would have ended in relegation or sack him and try and change the teams fortunes. It didn't hurt Spurs to sack their manager when they were near the bottom of the league and nobody defended Ramos.

Hodgson just isn't good enough for a big club or international team.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:17 am

guildfordbat wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:

I don't suppose it had anything to do with the fact Kenny spent 14 years at Anfield, is idolized by the fans and was the majority if not all of fans first choice to take over when Benitez left not Hodgson. If Liverpool under Roy Hodgson had been challenging for a CL or EL spot and was still in at least 1 cup he would probably still be there now but he didn't.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:02 am

The FA have a really tricky situation on their hands, because if they can't get Redknapp, then whoever is chosen will know that really they were second and an unpopular choice.

It happened with McClaren, and I think it was one of the reasons he didn't do as well as he could do. All the players, himself and the media were all aware that McClaren wasn't first choice, and it harmed him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:30 am

guildfordbat wrote:Mystiroakey - I'm probably not the best one to judge as I'm misguided enough to believe that football fans and players should have an iota of intelligence.

i dont really have a scooby doo what you are on about. Most football fans have intellegence, some dont, nothing wrong with rooney and co tweeting on there prefered mangers, just like its fine for others not to, basically i dont agree with anything you said

edit. actuallt maybe i was to harsh on your comment.

i undertsand that some of our players arnt the quickest tools in the box, but i also understand that they is nothing that will wholeheartedley change them . Players like rooney are hard working footballers and deserve respect for what they do on the pitch , the only person that NEEDS to worry about the type of people they are is the manager, the manager has to get the best out of them. Someone that can relate to them, someone that can manage them and someone that commands there respect is the best option.

basically
you wouldnt put an office manager in a marketing firm to become the foreman on a building site.

I have accepted the type of players england have and its not about changing them as people or picking different players, its about getting the best out of the talent we have

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:27 am

Mystiroakey - just to follow up on your analogy about the office manager. If the office manager resigns, it is understandable and inevitable that there will be gossip around the coffee machine about who his/her replacement should be. However that is very different from sending out an email to 'all users' in the company and wider.

In a similar way and by all means, Rooney and Ferdinand can discuss privately amongst themselves the potential merits of Redknapp being the new England manager as they travel together to higher education classes or whatever else they choose to do in their spare time. However, this is not a matter to share with the whole country.

You mention the new manager needing to command respect. Respect is a two way street. Rooney and Ferdinand need to show respect to the FA or, at least, not display such apparent disrespect by appearing to publicly tell the FA what to do. I repeat - how would the Man United board like it and react if these two were tweeting who should be the next United manager if Ferguson resigned?

Rooney and Ferdinand are not unique. However, they would be better advised to concentrate more on their football and less on their blackberrys.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:34 am

i understand your view point, however i think its one of those things were we are gonna have to get a manager to compliment the england team as there are, faults and all!

the man u board wouldnt like tweeting on who the fergies succesor would be, thats for sure and i doubt the FA like rooney doing it.

however it does show that he is passionate about england, and that rooney isnt just a player but also a fan!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

Mystiroakey - I think we're pretty much as one on that.

I fully agree about the new England manager needing to complement the team, faults and all.

Nothing wrong with passion in football managers and players but, at risk of stating the bl**ding obvious, a balance of skills and attributes is needed.

I'm sure you'll remember Keegan as being England's most passionate manager and won't need telling where that alone got us. That again is another part of the problem.

The FA - encouraged by the media - keep going from one extreme to the other as knee jerk reactions. To replace Keegan's English passion, Eriksson's apparent sense of foreign calm and cool thinking was chosen. When Sven turned out to be more concerned with other matters, it was decided to go back to a good old English manager. Unfortunately, the least worst available was McClaren. When McClaren predictably turned out to be unfit for purpose, we went for who was believed to be amongst the very best in the world in Capello. Unfortunately, that didn't turn out to be quite the case and him being unable to speak English hardly helped. What now? Back now to English or, perhaps being really radical at this stage, even British .... Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

i dunno- its abit worrying. Something cursed in regards to england, will we keep going round and round in circles!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:43 am

The players need to have a manager that they fear.

As far as prospective English managers go I think only Stuart Pearce or Terry Butcher fit that bill, they might be a good double act.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:53 am

i dunno if fear is the best way to lead the england team to be honest.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:07 pm

mystiroakey wrote:i dunno if fear is the best way to lead the england team to be honest.

Apathetic indiiference is the way to go. It's the only way to survive the underwhelming group stages followed by inevitable defeat in the quarter-finals. Given his demeanour for his entire Celtic managerial career, might I suggest Gordon Strachan. Added to that, he specializes in an inflexible 4-4-2 formation and won't think twice about putting square pegs into round holes for the sake of picking his favourites. Tailor-made for the role.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

Jings without Wise Boy Harry you are really stuffed.
Good sport this for a Scotsman.
Mind you the EFA chairman did seem to emphasis 'British'

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

I hope Harry doesn't take this job. It is a pure Managers Graveyard of a post.

Any manager who takes it gets ripped to shreds by the press, ends up managing 2nd rate teams.

Sven, McClaren, Hoddel, El Tel, Taylor, Kev Keegan.

High flyers who got shot down and brushed to the barrowlands of managerial football just for taking probably the worst job in football.

Nothing to do with the team in my view, its the UK tabloids. They are a joke. They have rounded on Pearce and hes barely in the caretakers role.

Harry is doing excellent at Spurs and moving to a cursed post in England would be managerial suicide.

He has the chance to take Fergies job at United I think when Alex bails.

And whats even sadder is, Rednapp is tiptoeing around the presses questions because he obviously doesn't want it. He knows if he refuses, they will launch an attack on him anyway. What a world we live in eh?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:22 pm

If the FA want a British manager and Redknapp declines the offer when it is made then if they look at Scottish managers wouldn't Moyes be first choice (given that Ferguson has stated in the past he will never take the job)

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:28 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I hope Harry doesn't take this job. It is a pure Managers Graveyard of a post.

Any manager who takes it gets ripped to shreds by the press, ends up managing 2nd rate teams.

Sven, McClaren, Hoddel, El Tel, Taylor, Kev Keegan.

High flyers who got shot down and brushed to the barrowlands of managerial football just for taking probably the worst job in football.

Nothing to do with the team in my view, its the UK tabloids. They are a joke. They have rounded on Pearce and hes barely in the caretakers role.

Harry is doing excellent at Spurs and moving to a cursed post in England would be managerial suicide.

He has the chance to take Fergies job at United I think when Alex bails.

And whats even sadder is, Rednapp is tiptoeing around the presses questions because he obviously doesn't want it. He knows if he refuses, they will launch an attack on him anyway. What a world we live in eh?
I agree the English/British media don't help but everyone who takes the job knows that from the start. There is always going to be stories dug up from years ago about anyone who takes the job. Just how long have the Telegraph been holding on to the story about Pearce for. It happened years ago and if it was such a big deal why not print it when he became U21 manager or Capello's assistant.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

superflyweight wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:i dunno if fear is the best way to lead the england team to be honest.

Apathetic indiiference is the way to go. It's the only way to survive the underwhelming group stages followed by inevitable defeat in the quarter-finals. Given his demeanour for his entire Celtic managerial career, might I suggest Gordon Strachan. Added to that, he specializes in an inflexible 4-4-2 formation and won't think twice about putting square pegs into round holes for the sake of picking his favourites. Tailor-made for the role.

what the heck are you talking about.

"And whats even sadder is, Rednapp is tiptoeing around the presses
questions because he obviously doesn't want it. He knows if he refuses,
they will launch an attack on him anyway. What a world we live in eh?"

Harry is being professional and respectfull- he has a job to do- that doesnt mean he doenst want the job, he may not i agree, however there is no definite at all- its how any manager would act in this situation

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4