The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why we are too hard on Manny/Mayweather!!!

+5
horizontalhero
tcribb
Rowley
OasisBFC
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Why we are too hard on Manny/Mayweather!!! Empty Why we are too hard on Manny/Mayweather!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:17 am

Let's pick a random year such as 1987..........Tyson, Spinks, Hagler, leonard, Duran, Hearns, Chavez, Nelson, Fenech, Rosario, Chyz, Pazienza, Camacho, Mugabi, Curry, Breland, Honeyghan, Chitalada, Holyfield, Starling, Bramble, Nunn, Barkley, Mccallum, Jackson!!!!

Would we complain about fights like Mayweather-Ortiz in 87 or Manny-Bradley/Mosley???????

Course not we are only complaining because the rest of Boxing these days is full of no-names with a complete lack of talent and charisma!!!

So of course we take it out on these two as they are basically carrying Boxing...which isn't their problem!!

Come to the conclusion we are too hard on these guys.......For having talent, skill and appeal in a face-less age!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Why we are too hard on Manny/Mayweather!!! Empty Re: Why we are too hard on Manny/Mayweather!!!

Post by OasisBFC Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:21 am

i think both fighters have opted to fight very live challengers (or champions in mayweathers case). fair play to them. if they arent going to fight each other then at least they're challenging themselves.

im guessing the bradley fight is at welter. probably no surprise that there isn't going to be a catchweight.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Why we are too hard on Manny/Mayweather!!! Empty Re: Why we are too hard on Manny/Mayweather!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 am

I think more pressure has been put on these two with the sad sack of no-names at other weights....

After all Honey fought 140 pounders in Vaca and Bumphus and then took on Vaca with the half decent Blocker in between!!!

Not that I'm picking on him.........Just that all champions fight garbage but they aren't as hounded as these two.....

Because of the tims..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:45 am

Personally don't think we are hard enough on either of them or anyone involved in the ongoing farce that is their failure to meet each other. Is a rare occurance that the two best fighters in the world are in the same weight, when that happens said fighters have a responsbility to the fans and the sport to meet.

We all complain about the sport's waning popularity and marginalisation but if we are going to do that we then cannot turn a blind eye when a fight that could lift the sport out of the doldrums and could hook in the casual fans falls by the wayside on nothing more than ego. Also lets not kid ourselves here, people other than boxing fans have followed this story, do we honestly think people have followed this and thought "I really must try to watch more boxing"

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 am

Problem being Truss each fighter you named in your article usually was established as the main man in the division the man who beat the man, with Floyd and Manny we still don't know whose no 1.

You're right they're not bad match ups but could you say out of any the names you mentioned they couldn't agree on a hundred million dollars between them, it's ridiculous and a terrible shame they haven't fought and will always been mentioned whoever they fight in the future.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 am

So avoiding the top challengers is new is it???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 am

Really Cribby...

Tyson/Spinks argument at Heavy..............
Pazienza, Camacho and Rosario at lightweight...
Breland and Honey at welter..
Hearns, Curry, mccallum and Mugabi at 154..

Agree with 50% of your analysis

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:52 am

I would have more sympathy for them if they both hadn't already earned countless millions. Using Honeyghan as an example, yes he did make a couple of easy defences, but at the time he would have barely made enough money from boxing to have not needed a second job so I didn't begrudge him a few easy pounds, but in the case of Mayweather and Pacman they are so rich that never need to do any type of work ever again, so to avoid the best competition in order to protect their livelyhood is an unacceptable arguement. But this isn't, and never has been about cash or fear of losing - it's about ego, and neither will ever be prepared to compromise on even the most trivial aspects. I don't expect the fight to happen. But back to the original point and I agree with Truss- if good competitive fights were more bountiful, then yes, we wouldn't focus so much on these two- and let's face it we have tolerated multiple champions for ages now, and unification fights are pretty rare- the best fighting the best has been uncommon for years.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 am

I would have more sympathy for them if they both hadn't already earned countless millions. Using Honeyghan as an example, yes he did make a couple of easy defences, but at the time he would have barely made enough money from boxing to have not needed a second job so I didn't begrudge him a few easy pounds, but in the case of Mayweather and Pacman they are so rich that never need to do any type of work ever again, so to avoid the best competition in order to protect their livelyhood is an unacceptable arguement. But this isn't, and never has been about cash or fear of losing - it's about ego, and neither will ever be prepared to compromise on even the most trivial aspects. I don't expect the fight to happen. But back to the original point and I agree with Truss- if good competitive fights were more bountiful, then yes, we wouldn't focus so much on these two- and let's face it we have tolerated multiple champions for ages now, and unification fights are pretty rare- the best fighting the best has been uncommon for years.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm

I think they deserve every bit of stick they get. Both can help define their careers with this fight and both have at some point put obstacles in the way to prevent it.

I would have thought by now one would have swallowed their pride and just got on with it but I truly think the fight will never happen.

As horizontalhero says, it's not like they're poor and already have millions so sacrificing a few million to cement an ATG position is surely worth it? Hero was so annoyed he said it twice!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:45 pm

"Easy defences"?????

Ortiz was a qualityWorld champion....Marquez a top p4per.....

In a different class to Bumphus...Hatcher and Vaca...............

But you know Honey isn't alone.........It's just that these guys are carrying Boxing....

Why are they getting more flak than Vlad-Mormeck...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Truss, you've got mail.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Why are they getting more flak than Vlad-Mormeck...

Because on the rare occasions someone has emerged as a legitimate threat to Wlad's dominance as the premier heavy in the world he has dealt with them, am sure if Manny or Floyd done likewise with their welterweight or P4P status people would be more forgiving.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 pm

You've seen my DVD collection then huh???

Prefer sleepless in Seattle though!! Cool

Good morning and I'll endeavour to read my mail in a minute.....

Obviously some kind of reprimand...I presume..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Hasn't fought his brother has he????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hasn't fought his brother has he????

No he hasn't Truss and if it is revealed in the next couple of days that the reason Manny and Floyd have not fought is actually because they are brothers I am sure most fans will be a little more forgiving.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:04 pm

No but DelaHoya, Marquez, Hatton...to me ..seem better than the brothers opponents comined..

Wouldn't you say???????????????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Would say but am not sure how it is the brothers fault the rest of the division is rubbish. Bottom line for me is all you can ask of a fighter is has that fighter consistently sought to fight the best their division has to offer? If I ask this question I get a different answer for either brother than I do for Manny and Floyd, fair enough if it is just one guy who has little chance of beating you as you could probaly say is the case with someone like Povetkin, but when the person who causes you to fall foul of this question is the only guy who has a cat in hells of beating you, and also happens to be the one half of the most eagerly anticipated fight in living memory it is unforgivable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:11 pm

They haven't sought to fight the best in the division I fthey haven't fought eachother!!!

Where was the Wlad-Sanders rematch?????? No big brother has to sort him out!!!

Mayweather and Pac can't agree a deal...end of!!!!

Hardly a reason to hold the Klits in higher esteem is it!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Hardly a reason to hold the Klits in higher esteem is it!!

You're putting words in my mouth now Truss, way I see it is the reality is there is no logical reason beyond ego that this fight cannot and should not have happened, the fact that it hasn't for me reflects equally as bad on both of them. You want to say they are still fighting good opposition, fine, I am on record as agreeing on numerous occasions, however I am not going to hail them as greats because avoiding the only fighter that stands a realistic chance of beating you, when, and this is key, there is no valid reason for you not to have fought him, is not the action of a great fighter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Thought Marquez beat Manny in most people's eyes!!!

Leonard sold Hagler a dummy in 83...and you could say Marv avoided Tommy from 85-87....

Manny-May can't agree terms.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Leonard sold Hagler a dummy in 83...and you could say Marv avoided Tommy from 85-87....

Both possibly true, but what is also true is eventually they fought each other as of yet despite it being the most anticipated fight amongst fans in a generation and there being no logical reason for it not to have happened for at least two years Manny and Floyd have not fought and in reality appear no closer to doing than ever. Maybe they will get round to fighting and maybe they will do it whilst they both have some lead in their pencils, but if they retire without ever having faced each other then for me it is a massive black mark against both their names.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Still think If there was more quality around this would become a lesser issue......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 pm

You may well be right mate, end of the day Ray does not get too much grief for not facing Pryor because he had the likes of Tommy, Duran and Marvin to get his teeth into, but for me when there is only one realistic challenge to you, you do have an obligation to deal with them. If not to yourself then to the sport, because I genuinely believe their ongoing failure to fight does the sport that has made both of them insanely wealthy immeasurable damage.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:17 pm

The problem I've always said with this fight is that the loser will be remembered for losing this fight rather than being a p4p great. Too risky for both fighters, especially Floyd who's never lost. No motivation to fight either, you can offer them stupid money but they're both already stinking rich so money is obsolete in this case.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 am

You think so????

No one holds the Leonard loss against Hagler............

Then again Spinks is remembered for Tyson so you do have a point...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:24 am

manny and flloyd get supported like no others in boxing currently. whoever they fight may never be good enough, but its always advertised and hyped to the max. some casual fans actually believe the world of boxing is orientated round these two. if anything we are too generous to them, particularly on these boards where we dedicate so much of our time discussing them. im not complaining mind, i like both fighters and both have been good value for money, just dont expect me to feel sorry for them. there are other equally good boxers whose careers have been far less fortunate.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down