The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather & Manny: Who Next for Both?

+14
Herman Jaeger
88Chris05
3fingers
Lance
John Bloody Wayne
Hammersmith harrier
horizontalhero
ONETWOFOREVER
RanjitPatel
Strongback
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
Dipper Brown
Valero's Conscience
18 posters

Go down

Mayweather & Manny: Who Next for Both? Empty Mayweather & Manny: Who Next for Both?

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 04 May 2015, 3:34 pm

After Floyd's decisive victory, no one apart from Manny and his team wants a rematch. Assuming that is a no-go, who do you want each to face?

If Floyd does relinquish his titles I would aim for a rematch with Cotto for a chance of claiming the Middleweight title. How better could you retire by wining another divisional title whilst having the chance to get the better of Roach again?

Sure, Cotto has Geale to face but Geale would happily take a cheque to step aside. It would sell as Cotto is a one of the biggest draws in boxing and their first fight was competitive enough to sell a rematch.

Failing that I would like to Floyd to face Danny Garcia, It won't be competitive but nice to see Floyd take another '0' against a young name in boxing.

As for Manny, i'd like to see him fight Khan as there would be great build-up with Khan being a former stable mate of Manny's. If not I don't see anything interesting for Manny at WW and would love to see him fight Broner at LWW.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Mayweather & Manny: Who Next for Both? Empty Re: Mayweather & Manny: Who Next for Both?

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 04 May 2015, 3:49 pm

Said before I'd be disappointed to see Cotto Floyd 2, especially if it's sold as a middleweight title bout. Let's face it both are WWs not MWs and it would likely be at a catchweight. Couldn't consider Floyd as genuine middleweight champion should beat Cotto (at least Cotto fought a middleweight to win the belt). Plus we've seen it once already, Cotto Canelo is a far more interesting fight.

Manny, not sure really. He's had 65 fights, multi millionaire and fought everyone. Why not call it a day? Same goes for Floyd actually.

I'm sure other than ardent Floyd or Manny fans most of us would like to see one of the chasing pack dethrone them in a 'passing of the torch' moment but realistically the top 2 have been there for so long maybe it will take a retirement to freshen up the pool.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Mayweather & Manny: Who Next for Both? Empty Re: Mayweather & Manny: Who Next for Both?

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 04 May 2015, 3:51 pm

Also the amount of advertising and obnoxious pop ups on this site is getting annoying. Hopefully you can sort it out.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 04 May 2015, 3:54 pm

Don't give him a rematch..............All you've had is s**t off Roach and Arum..........Enjoy the victory............and rub it in !!!

Go for someone like Porter next.....Just beaten the third best fighter on the planet and are entitled to a voluntary of sorts.........Get yourself to 49-0 and enjoy your retirement.........

Forget Khan and Brook...........Beat Khan he's a chinny-sloppy second............Beat Brook and he'll be overrated and average etc etc etc................

Love to see Khan v Manny...............Think the two styles would gel well............

Brook v Manny would be good for that matter and probably more likely as he has a belt...

Wouldn't rule out Alvarez v Manny either...............

Alvarez v manny would be pickem...........Think Brook however could be good enough to follow the Mayweather blueprint and nick a decision..

However have a terrible feeling Manny v JMM 5 is round the corner..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 04 May 2015, 3:59 pm

God, I hope JMM is not an option!

Understand point about Cotto 2 i.e. catchweights. I've always despised them but fight has the biggest value for Floyd in terms of legacy and money.

I feel for Floyd, only big names are the only options worth considering. Porter just isn't a name to get attention.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 04 May 2015, 4:06 pm

In terms of want.... I'd like Mayweather v Khan and manny v brook

British interest and I have always thought khan gives floyd something to think about. Be nice to see brook in against a top name and see how he fairs.

Doubt we'll see them though. Given sept is out for Khan and it rules the floyd fight out (if it was ever likely), i guess there's a chance of manny v khan later in the year.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 04 May 2015, 5:56 pm

Whoever it is it wont pose a challlenge to Floyd. I expect his last ever fight to be cakewalk.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 04 May 2015, 6:04 pm

From someone who has Eusebio Pedrosa higher than Manny and May...

Hardly a surprising statement....

Why don't you post on the BB forum.....Why do Kingy, Adam, Sohot, Geordie and myself have to keep it going when we can't carry your jockstrap ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 04 May 2015, 6:21 pm

I know it's not feasible due to weight but I'd love to see Manny and Cotto rematch.

Not really interested in a Khan Mayweather fight. Nothing will feel as big as Floyd's last fight.

If Khan is next then Khan's next fight looks really bad as a warm up now. Fighting a guy who got hammered by the man that Mayweather beat easily.
Prefer to see Floyd move up for his last fight, perhaps there will be more of a challenge there.

Manny v Matthysse I'd like to see.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 04 May 2015, 6:22 pm

As for Floyd I think he needs a name if he does indeed retire after September.

Let see how well Khan does against Algieri first tho because it now looks like Floyd has no where else to go but Khan.

The only fight that would sell bigger would be Floyd v Mini Floyd (Broner)

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 04 May 2015, 8:14 pm

Maybe he should do a Creed and give an unknown a chance on thanksgiving....

I'd pay to see.......Mayweather v Milky.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 04 May 2015, 8:20 pm

Retirement for both please.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 04 May 2015, 8:21 pm

Brook, Khan and Thurman are the only fights i'd be interested in, fighting Cotto would be a bit of joke and nobody has any interest in a repeat of either fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 04 May 2015, 8:24 pm

Some sort of horrendous combination of Lara and GGG. GGG'S reflexes and back foot boxing with Lara's power and output. Awful, dreadful fight.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 04 May 2015, 8:28 pm

Honestly tho any fighter Floyd might have to go to and lead against would he most interesting. I'm sure he's capable, just be cool to see something different. I've wanted that for a while, Lara would be my preference but that's a pipe dream, especially after the Canelo loss.

Pacman v Matthysse would be interesting indeed. As would Pacquiao vs Crawford as it would give an indication of how much his ineffectiveness at hunting was down to Mayweather!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 04 May 2015, 8:49 pm

Floyd should have one more big fight. He cant top Alvarez or Manny but would be a shame to see him bow out with something low key. Thurman or Khan would be worthwhile challenges.

Manny really should have one last easy victory and call it quits. Garcia would match up nicely

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 04 May 2015, 8:51 pm

Garcia  is a good shout Lance....  he'd win and retire a "champion".

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 04 May 2015, 10:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe he should do a Creed and give an unknown a chance on thanksgiving....

I'd pay to see.......Mayweather v Milky.....

For a few million quid and a share of the ppv I 'd happy take your money  for that one truss. I'd struggle to make 147 though.

As for the fight...

I'm seeing a contentious decision where I chase him round the ring for 12 rounds and succumb to a defensive masterclass. I land 0 of the 5 punches I throw. He sets a compubox record by landing all 12 of the punches (jabs, 1 per round) he throws in the fight.

Floyd explains his reluctance to engage in the post fight interview with a rambling monologue about how the sport is about not getting hit, and why take chances with an unknown quantity with an unbeaten record like milkyboy. In my interview I thank al haymon and  god (on the off chance they're separate entities) and accept my defeat with grace, whilst hinting at a poor camp, a bit of a sniffle and a painful Ingrowing toenail.

Hugh mcilvanney writes a piece on effective aggression, the vagueries of the 10 point must system and how the world failed to notice the quiet beating I'd administered. In 20 years time people watch the fight back and wonder how all those idiots  missed my effective aggression the first time round.

As a big fan of Hugh's work, I retire and use his piece to legitimise my claims for a top 10 p4p ATG ranking... The morally undefeated milkyboy.

Bring it on I say.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 05 May 2015, 10:03 am

In my little dream world Floyd would be taking on Golovkin at 160 next. But of course, that's a dream world which makes JBW's visions look almost normal. Not that anyone could or should really give Mayweather a hard time for having zero interest in that assignment, unless he goes and takes on Cotto again at a catchweight for the 'real' Middleweight title. Then he's leaving himself open to a bit of criticism.

As many others have said, it's been a while since Mayweather faced anyone you'd describe as slick or a stylist, so Andrade or Lara at 154 would intrigue me from a styles point of view. But again, practically zero chance of those kind of fights even entering Mayweather's head for the usual old reasons.

Of the realistic propositions, I genuinely wouldn't mind the Khan fight at all now. Floyd looked good at the weekend but I don't think it's the kind of performance to have Khan quaking in his boots. Khan's recent form makes him just about as viable as anyone else at 147 and he has enough of an international fan base to tick the usual Mayweather boxes. Problem is, if Mayweather sticks to his usual September date Khan is almost certainly out of contention. Not sure how flexible Mayweather or Showtime are on that front. If September is non-negotiable then Thurman might nick prime position. Wouldn't necessarily mind that one, either.

The fights I definitely do not want to see Floyd take on next would be either of Cotto II or Garcia.

As for Pacquiao, rumour has it that the shoulder injury (already becoming one of the most fabled injuries in boxing history!) will be keeping him out the ring for a year. If that's true then you'd have to question if it's really worthwhile fighting again at all, but he'll need / want plenty more dough behind him if he's going to make a real fist of his Presidential ambition and he still has marquee value. I can see Arum going back to keeping it all in-house for whatever is left of Pacquiao's career. In twelve months time he might well think it's a good opportunity to match him with Crawford or even Vargas if Jesse were to beat Bradley, which is a big if.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 05 May 2015, 10:38 am

Who in their right mind would want to see Mayweather fight Cotto rather than Golovkin?

If Floyd wants to push for a top ten then he needs to push the boat out. Golovkin not at catchweight but at full middleweight fits the bill.

Top five and its Ward at super middle!

Definitely don't want to see Manny fight Khan, that would be a massacre. Khan for me needs to beat someone in the top five to get Floyd. Sorry not buying Collazo Alexander and Algieri gets you Floyd.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 05 May 2015, 10:52 am

I'd like to see Mayweather vs Khan (York Hall) and Pacquiao vs Retirement.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 05 May 2015, 10:58 am

Scottrf wrote:I'd like to see Mayweather vs Khan (York Hall) and Pacquiao vs Retirement.

I'd prefer Mayweather vs Khan at Bluewater Shopping Centre, Kent. A nice local fight for me!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 05 May 2015, 11:58 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Who in their right mind would want to see Mayweather fight Cotto rather than Golovkin?

If Floyd wants to push for a top ten then he needs to push the boat out. Golovkin not at catchweight but at full middleweight fits the bill.

Definitely don't want to see Manny fight Khan, that would be a massacre. Khan for me needs to beat someone in the top five to get Floyd. Sorry not buying Collazo Alexander and Algieri gets you Floyd.

Are you serious about Super Middle against Ward?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 05 May 2015, 12:09 pm

AdamT wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Who in their right mind would want to see Mayweather fight Cotto rather than Golovkin?

Are you serious about Super Middle against Ward?

Not particularly

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 05 May 2015, 12:15 pm

I find it stupid to ask Floyd to fight GGG. I don't see Ward/Froch asked to fight Cruiser's to prove themselves.

The rematch with Cotto is ok for the reason Cotto isn't near to a real MM albeit would hate the catchweight farce.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 05 May 2015, 1:17 pm

Ordinarily no one would ask Floyd to fight Golovkin.

Only in the context of how far he wants to go, how high he wants to get, how deep is his ambition- in that context people are fine with asking him to fight the Kazakh.

Ward and Froch are not vying for an historical top ten so it's a bit different but who knows if Ward beat Kovalev easily(which I couldn't possibly imagine,) then who knows, he might have to do something beyond the reach of most to make his own personal claim to greatness.

You're right though, the Cotto rematch at full middle is a fight I quite like, seeing as how maybe Cotto's style just happens to cause Floyd problems. Just not better than Golovkin that's all.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 05 May 2015, 4:38 pm

Reading what Bob Arum said with regard to a Mayweather Khan fight,Khan has no chance of fighting Mayweather, in America he is nothing,he is not as big as Froch in the US.

Arum went on to say Khan was offered a fight against Pacquiao and all we got back was silence.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 05 May 2015, 4:40 pm

Khan fought Peterson in a phone booth in Washington........

He's from the wrong part of the world to be popular back home..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Wed 06 May 2015, 12:19 pm

Khan hasn't got the defensive skills or the chin to go the distance with Money or Pacman.

erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 06 May 2015, 1:09 pm

People have lost a lot of money in the last 6-7 years betting on floyd and manny ko's.

Though I actually think floyd might ko khan, not just because of khans whiskers, but because it might be one fight where floyd actually has to force the pace.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down