The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 16 Preview

+9
B91212
ChequeredJersey
propdavid_london
formerly known as Sam
yappysnap
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HongKongCherry
Equo Troiano
LondonTiger
13 posters

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 16 Preview Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 16 Preview

Post by LondonTiger Fri 24 Feb 2012, 10:21 am

Current standings:

1) Quins 55pts
2) Sarries 49pts
3) Saints 41pts
4) Tigers 40pts
5) Chiefs 39pts
6) Gloucester 37pts
7) Sale 35pts
8) LI 34pts
9) Bath 30pts
10) Worcester 27pts
11) Wasps 23pts
12) Falcons 17pts

Friday, 24 February 2012
Sale v Wasps, 19:45

Sale are tough to beat at home. Steve Diamond has assembled a large pack, while at times - with Dwayne Peel always looking to prompt things - there are some exciting runners in tha backs. We all know what happened the last time Wasps travelled to Stockport on a Friday night (wonder if they still have the pizza menu?), but should see no repeat this season. Wasps are struggling with injuries, confidence and form. Not a good recipe for success.

Sale to win by +7

Worcester v Saracens, 19:45
Worcester have had a series of gritty away performances, securing LBPs but no wins. On their return to Sixways a fixture with Saracens, missing a plethora of players due to internationals and injury, is one that they would have targetted. They need a win to pull further from the relegation mire and to possibly spark a late push for Top 6 position. Saracens, as they showed last week, can run the ball really well when they want to. However they resort to a tight game far too often leaving matches very tight when they should be pulling away. Expect a very tight affair that could go either way.

Worcester by 2pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 25 February 2012
Exeter v Bath, 18:00

Exeter have moved back in to the Top 6 and another win would give them real belief that a HC spot is achievable. Bath need wins in the league and will have been hurt by the defeat in the rain to local rivals Gloucester. All season Bath have shown that their forwards lack the dog needed when things are not going their way. Exeter cannot be accused of teh same thing. Exeter should be too gnarly for the powder-puff rich boys star names of Bath.

Exeter by 7

Gloucester v Harlequins, 18:00
Quins will be at near full strength and after a series of defeats have returned to winning ways. Having beaten Gloucester 3 times this season they will be confident. On form Gloucester can threaten any side in the league - but too often are off-form. Quins will look to put pressure on Freddie Burns and deny the 3/4s any space to run in. JTH will be looking forward to actually playing and not getting splinters from the England bench. Gut feel is that quins will sneak this.
Quins by 4

Leicester v Newcastle, 15:00
Tigers will be short of 6 players on England duty plus the usual injuries you get at this time of year. Falcons secured a good win last week, but Tigers should be too strong.
No prediction - I am a jinx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 26 February 2012
London Irish v Northampton, 13:15

Saints struggled last week, but just did enough to beat Sale. Lawes is now absent from the squad, weakening them a little bit more. London Irish are unpredictable, so after defeat in the north East we should expect a stronger performance. Going out on a limb I will predict a clear victory for LI.
LI by 7+

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 16 Preview Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 16 Preview

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 24 Feb 2012, 10:58 am

I think that Tigers have the potential to pick up 9 points from their next two games, they're still a strong team and even Grindal has improved....

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 16 Preview Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 16 Preview

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:18 am

This is a weekend of tough fixtures that on the whole could go either way. For what it's worth, I reckon:

Sale v Wasps - Sale by 7. Sale aren't firing on all cylinders at the moment, but Wasps are woeful and their only hope of a result is another pizza gate!

Wuss v Sarries - Any Richard Hill side is going to fight to the bitter end, but even without all their players missing Sarries just know how to win away. They'll sneak it by 3.

Exeter v Bath - Oh how I love to degrade Bath!! Exeter will be just too gritty for them at SP and will win by 3.

Glaws v Quins - Thanks Lancaster, send back the Quins players why don't you. We've not beaten them in the last 4 outings, but the Kingsholm lights always seem to inspire the players and fans, so another sneaking this time by 5.

Tigers v Falcons - Despite Tigers missing a fair few players, they're squad of 86 players should be strong enough to overcome a resurgent Falcons side, who'll just miss out on a LBP. Tigers by 10.

Irish v Saints - Irish are like Glaws, far too inconsistent, but they don't seem to be showing any signs of correcting this. Saints are uninspiring at the moment, but know how to win games. Saints by 6.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

Sale v Wasps (5/0)
Worcester v Saracens (1/4)
Exeter v Bath (4/1)
Gloucester v Harlequins (4/1)
Leicester v Newcastle (4/1)
London Irish v Northampton (1/4)

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:This is a weekend of tough fixtures that on the whole could go either way. For what it's worth, I reckon:

Sale v Wasps - Sale by 7. Sale aren't firing on all cylinders at the moment, but Wasps are woeful and their only hope of a result is another pizza gate!

Wuss v Sarries - Any Richard Hill side is going to fight to the bitter end, but even without all their players missing Sarries just know how to win away. They'll sneak it by 3.

Exeter v Bath - Oh how I love to degrade Bath!! Exeter will be just too gritty for them at SP and will win by 3.

Glaws v Quins - Thanks Lancaster, send back the Quins players why don't you. We've not beaten them in the last 4 outings, but the Kingsholm lights always seem to inspire the players and fans, so another sneaking this time by 5.

Tigers v Falcons - Despite Tigers missing a fair few players, they're squad of 86 players should be strong enough to overcome a resurgent Falcons side, who'll just miss out on a LBP. Tigers by 10.

Irish v Saints - Irish are like Glaws, far too inconsistent, but they don't seem to be showing any signs of correcting this. Saints are uninspiring at the moment, but know how to win games. Saints by 6.

Tigers have not got an 86 man squad, and Quins are going to man-shame Glaws.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm

Quins team is up for the game against Glos:
15. Ross Chisholm
14. Tom Williams
13. George Lowe
12 Jordan Turner-Hall
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Karl Dickson

1. Joe Marler
2. Joe Gray
3. James Johnston
4. Ollie Kohn
5. Tomas Vallejos
6. Tom Guest
7. Will Skinner
8. Nick Easter (C)

Replacements

16. Chris Brooker 17. Mark Lambert 18. Tim Fairbrother 19. Pete Browne 20. Luke Wallace 21. Danny Care 22. Rory Clegg 23. Matt Hopper

Strong team put out by Quins, shame to see neither of Stegmann or Smith in there but other then that I really like the look of the team.
Good to see Guest back in there at 6 although I hope he does get more time at 8 once some of the 6's are back.
Dickson over Care is interesting but on form Karl can be even better for Quins fast playing style as like his brother he has a top notch pass.

Another big game from the props is needed, they've both been standouts in the last few matches and if Evans can just hit top gear we could sneak this one.

I still have Glos down as the likely winners though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 24 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

Despite Tigers missing a fair few players, they're squad of 86 players

Is that including the academy which is mainly made up of players aged 18 and under? Fair sure our first team squad is less than 40 strong.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Despite Tigers missing a fair few players, they're squad of 86 players

Is that including the academy which is mainly made up of players aged 18 and under? Fair sure our first team squad is less than 40 strong.

I've told you a million times, do not exaggerate! Smile But Tigers do have their fair share of players and I stand to be corrected but I believe you still have the largest squad in the Jeff, so despite your missing numbers, you should still have more than enough quality to see off Falcons at home.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

The team should be strong enough of that there is no doubt and more importantly no excuses. Was just wondering how you got 86 players?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

yappysnap wrote:Quins team is up for the game against Glos:
15. Ross Chisholm
14. Tom Williams
13. George Lowe
12 Jordan Turner-Hall
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Karl Dickson

1. Joe Marler
2. Joe Gray
3. James Johnston
4. Ollie Kohn
5. Tomas Vallejos
6. Tom Guest
7. Will Skinner
8. Nick Easter (C)

Replacements

16. Chris Brooker 17. Mark Lambert 18. Tim Fairbrother 19. Pete Browne 20. Luke Wallace 21. Danny Care 22. Rory Clegg 23. Matt Hopper

Strong team put out by Quins, shame to see neither of Stegmann or Smith in there but other then that I really like the look of the team.
Good to see Guest back in there at 6 although I hope he does get more time at 8 once some of the 6's are back.
Dickson over Care is interesting but on form Karl can be even better for Quins fast playing style as like his brother he has a top notch pass.

Another big game from the props is needed, they've both been standouts in the last few matches and if Evans can just hit top gear we could sneak this one.

I still have Glos down as the likely winners though.
Hi Yappy,
I agree with your comments - any idea whats happening with Faasavalou? It would be great to see him coming back soon too.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

Glaws Quins is going to be a hell of a match

I'm going to say Sale by 6, Sarries by 1, draw between Bath and Exeter, Gloucester by 5, Newcastle by 6, Irish by 10
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

I believe Maurie is injured until early April, approximately?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 24 Feb 2012, 3:23 pm

Yea he should be back just in time for the play offs apparently. With Robshaw out we really miss him too! Guest is going to have a lot of work to do to make up for their ball carrying.

JTH back in the line up should help with this a bit though, it really showed against Worcester with our lack of tackle breaking in the backs.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 4:30 pm

Sale v Wasps - Home win
Worcester v Saracens - Home win (LBP)
Exeter v Bath - Away win (LBP)
Gloucester v Harlequins - Home win (LBP)
Leicester v Newcastle - Home win
London Irish v Northampton - Away win (LBP)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 24 Feb 2012, 4:59 pm

Sale v Wasps - Sale by 3, high scoring game with the lead changing.
Worcester v Saracens - Worcester by 1, close tense affair that Wuss steal.
Exeter v Bath - Exeter by 7, one key try in it early in the game.
Gloucester v Harlequins -
Leicester v Newcastle - Leicester to win by 12 with a tbp.
London Irish v Northampton - Northampton by 5 as Saints pack win it for them.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:04 pm

Some wildly divergent opinions this week...

Hope / Expectation:
Sale / Sale
Worcs / Sarries
Exe / Exe
Quins / Quins
Falcons / Tigers
Irish / Saints

Will I see a triumph of hope over expectation?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 24 Feb 2012, 7:31 pm

Lots of people backing Worcester. Realistically Sarries should win though.

Joubert,Brits and De Kock are all starting.

Yappysnap when was the last time you thought Saracens would win?

I think the winners will be

Sale
Sarries
London Irish
Leicester
Gloucester
Exeter

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 24 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

I hope Sarries win, want to add some extra tension for the next match I actually get to watch, Sarries vs Quins at Wembley. Tickets arrived today, absolutely psyched for it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:07 am

Very good win for Wuss, pretty much takes them clear of any relegation battle at this stage. Poor Wasps, 3 tries, 34 points in total, both figures more than enough to get at least 1 if not 4 points - I have a feeling it's going to come together for them before too long in term of table points

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:10 am

blimey, didn't see sarries losing that. Good for the tigers though!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 25 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Very good win for Wuss, pretty much takes them clear of any relegation battle at this stage. Poor Wasps, 3 tries, 34 points in total, both figures more than enough to get at least 1 if not 4 points - I have a feeling it's going to come together for them before too long in term of table points

Not so convinced. Sale took their foot off the gas a bit in the final quarter having already put the game away, and Wasps then picked up a couple of late consolation tries. They've also picked up injuries to Wentzel and daly, and if Falcons can get even a point at Welford Road today, then there will be some fairly jittery folk around the Wasps camp I suspect.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 25 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

So I was right with two of my match predictions so far then?

Saracens lose in a close affair and Wasps lose in a high scoring barny.

Sorry Beshocked, I wasn't trying to be down on Saracens, just genuinely think that once teams have them figured out they don't offer much. Just like how teams figured Quins out over Christmas.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 25 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

Could go either way with Wasps, if their pack can just get some control they can score tries but at the moment, they're all either too old, too young or too broken to be effective.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down