The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Harrison attempting a comeback

+20
Lumbering_Jack
TopHat24/7
Valero's Conscience
BallchinianMuffwig
School Project
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
mckay1402
Mind the windows Tino.
Knowsit17
tobbox
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Union Cane
azania
Soldier_Of_Fortune
aja424
The Galveston Giant
Rowley
Adam D
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Scott Harrison attempting a comeback Empty Scott Harrison attempting a comeback

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:52 am

I'm all for redemption, but this guy shouldn't be allowed back in the ring. It was uncomfortable viewing last night on Ringside. He looks like an old, malnourished junkie and it just smacks of desperation. 34 years old, just spent 2.5 years in a Spanish prison, well publicised drink and drug problems, known mental issues, is potentially facing further charges and prison time for another alleged assault in Spain, etc etc.

http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0,,19875_7558205,00.html

Scott Harrison spoke to Ringside about his decision to come out of retirement and lace up the gloves once again.

The former WBO featherweight champion has finally had his licence returned by the British Boxing Board of Control.

Harrison, nicknamed The Real McCoy, won 25 of his 29 professional fights, including 14 by knockout.

However, his career was blighted by convictions of assault and attempted car theft that saw him sentenced to two-and-a-half years in a Spanish prison.

But Harrison believes the time spent in jail has sorted him out and he is desperate to get back into the ring.

"I have got my licence back and on the 31st of March I will be boxing in Blackpool," he said. "My opponent is still to be named but training is going well. I am feeling good and sharp and I am looking forward to getting back into the ring."

Future
It has been six years since Harrison stepped in the ring, but he insists that all the troubles he had are behind him - and that he is eyeing a world champion belt.

"(My problems) are well and truly in the past," said Harrison. "I am looking towards the future and hopefully within a short space of time I will be a world champion again.

"I am actually feeling better at 34 than I did at 24 or even 25 when I was world champion. When I was in my twenties I trained hard but I never lived well, now I am more mature. I have learnt the hard way and I am feeling sharp, fit and healthy."

Sky Sports commentator Jim Watt believes that with a lot of hard work and dedication, Harrison may just be able to get back to his glory days.

"There is a chance he could come again, he was a genuine world class fighter," said Watt. "He was solid, aggressive and had good defence.#

"I think he misbehaved a little bit. He always worked hard in the gym, but got out of shape in between fights. He knows he has not got the time left to mess around so what years he has left he will give it everything."

Back to top Go down

Scott Harrison attempting a comeback Empty Re: Scott Harrison attempting a comeback

Post by Adam D Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:56 am

Is someone not allowed a little redemption.

I am not excusing his past behaviours, which are obviously 100% wrong. But you also must understand that addiction is an illness. If he has truly beaten his drink and drugs problem, then this might be his only focus to keep him out of trouble.

Don't particularly like the guy but I believe that people should be given a final chance to redeem themselves.

Thats why PBF is still around Whistle

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Scott Harrison attempting a comeback Empty Re: Scott Harrison attempting a comeback

Post by Rowley Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 am

Have to disagree he should not be allowed back, he has made mistakes but has done his time, if the board are satisfied he is clean and can pass the medicals why should the guy not be allowed a chance to earn a living.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am

Harrison has served his time. Looking forward to seeing him in action. If he's not looking good i don't think he'll be one to hang around.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:03 am

Here's a guy at rock bottom, with nothing left in his world and he's lacing on the gloves again in a desperate attempt to earn a living.

How many other boxers get criticism for fighting on too long and damaging their health. I see this as the same thing. One last desperate attempt that'll probably end in tears.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:05 am

He was still at the top of his game last time he fought, just not mentally. He was a World Champion, a proper one.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 am

Cpt, the thing is if he was going to be pitched staright in against someone like Gamboa I would agree 100% but the truth is he will in the first instance face nobody of that level, he will in reality face journeymen of negligible risk to establish if there is anything left in the tank, if there is the level of opposition will be stepped up.

For all we criticise the governing bodies in the UK we have one of the absolute best when it comes to medical safety and I am confident Harrison will have had to meet pretty exacting standards, if he has passed them he is of no more risk than many other fighters who lace them up. Worth remembering Jason Booth had similar problems with his life some years ago but come back to challenge for a world title and be a very decent fighter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Don't see how you can deny him a license when you have guys who have lost the vast majority of their fights, surely they need to be "saved from themselves" before starting to deny a guy with a winning record a license.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Harrison's problem, like Alex Arthur, was that he'd stopped progressing as a fighter. He went over to America and put in a great showing against Tracey Harris Patterson and looked destined for big things. He then got beaten up by Manuel Medina who makes Malignaggi look like Shavers but showed a worrying lack of boxing nous during that defeat also.

I also thought he was killing himself to make SF and should have moved up before then. Scott's a tough nut but I doubt his actual boxing has improved since the lay off so I predict a couple of easy fights before being handed a beating by one of our young guns.

Good luck to him though

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:41 am

DAVE667 wrote:Harrison's problem, like Alex Arthur, was that he'd stopped progressing as a fighter. He went over to America and put in a great showing against Tracey Harris Patterson and looked destined for big things. He then got beaten up by Manuel Medina who makes Malignaggi look like Shavers but showed a worrying lack of boxing nous during that defeat also.

I also thought he was killing himself to make SF and should have moved up before then. Scott's a tough nut but I doubt his actual boxing has improved since the lay off so I predict a couple of easy fights before being handed a beating by one of our young guns.

Good luck to him though

To be fair Medina is an underrated fighter IMO, he did win the title 6 times?? He did have half decent dig aswell, to tarnish him with the same brush as Malignaggi was going a bit too far!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 pm

The name harrison seems t be a blight on boxing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:40 pm

azania wrote:The name harrison seems t be a blight on boxing.

True. They should fight each other.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I would have money on Scott over the A force

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Back to his old tricks already

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17469004

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

He was released and hasn't been charged with anything yet so your being a bit harsh. Let the guy make a mistake before you have a pop at him because so far he has done nothing wrong.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:37 pm

More details

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2012/scott-harrison-arrested-after-drunken-rampage-tesco

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:39 pm

It doesn't sound good and wouldn't be a shock but until he gets charged with something he's done nothing wrong.

Alex Arthur said he's been in the gym everyday and looked very good.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Looks as if the comeback's off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/17478554

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Unless Harrison can stay away from the drink for a period longer than a day he shouldn't be allowed in a ring again. Alcoholism is an illness and people with illnesses shouldn't pass medicals. The BBBoc should take his licence away until he can prove he has been sober for a suitable period.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Good decision by Maloney, the guy is clearly more trouble than he is worth. If he's never seen in a ring again it will be too soon.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:42 pm

All signs continue to point towards him being a clown who just doesn't know when to stop. Was initially sceptical on his return but back now to feeling no sympathy for the bloke.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:47 pm

The guy is an alcoholic. That's an illness calling him a clown is very harsh. He needs help unfortunately he is surrounded by bad people like his dad who just wants to throw him in the ring again because he hasn't had a fighter since Scott worth mentioning.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Sorry but I don't buy this illness tosh. He's had two and a half years of presumably not being ill, and as soon as he is out he becomes ill again? Sorry, but it's cobblers. Don't buy the 4-pack, it's simple.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Sorry union but you're talking nonsense, alcoholism like any addiction is an illness, just because you have gone a certain period of being clean does not mean you are clear of the urge and will never again succumb to that urge. If it was simply a case of not buying the four pack there would be no drug addicts or alcoholics in the world and probably about three smokers.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:00 pm

rowley wrote:Sorry union but you're talking nonsense, alcoholism like any addiction is an illness, just because you have gone a certain period of being clean does not mean you are clear of the urge and will never again succumb to that urge. If it was simply a case of not buying the four pack there would be no drug addicts or alcoholics in the world and probably about three smokers.

Why do you bother? It is just Union being Union.

It's a tired old act, but I admire his persistence.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:02 pm

So was he under the influence when he allegedly shoplifted? I'm not sure he strikes me as a naturally desirable character one way or the other, alcoholic or no. Maybe he's just naturally unstable is something to consider.

As Union says you can only use the alcoholic excuse so far.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Addiction is a weakness of character, not an illness.

I was a 20-a-day smoker for 15 years. 3 years ago I decided that I didn't want to be a smoker any more, so I stopped. It wasn't easy but I did it.

Did I overcome an illness, or did I show strength of character?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Union Cane wrote:Sorry but I don't buy this illness tosh. He's had two and a half years of presumably not being ill, and as soon as he is out he becomes ill again? Sorry, but it's cobblers. Don't buy the 4-pack, it's simple.

That is absolute garbage mate. Addiction is an illness and isn't as easy as just don't buy drink/drugs/cigarettes or whatever it is you are addicted to. Scott needs help he doesn't need to be getting into a boxing ring.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:That is absolute garbage mate. Addiction is an illness and isn't as easy as just don't buy drink/drugs/cigarettes or whatever it is you are addicted to.

I refer you to my previous comment.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:So was he under the influence when he allegedly shoplifted? I'm not sure he strikes me as a naturally desirable character one way or the other, alcoholic or no. Maybe he's just naturally unstable is something to consider.

As Union says you can only use the alcoholic excuse so far.

Scott is a nice guy my dad used to work with his dad Peter a few years ago and had known him for years before that. He is surrounded by people who are no good for him.

He isn't a nice guy when he is drunk mind you.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Union Cane wrote:Addiction is a weakness of character, not an illness.

Most considered medical opinion disagrees with you, but given you stopped smoking I am happier to take your word over theirs.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Union Cane wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:That is absolute garbage mate. Addiction is an illness and isn't as easy as just don't buy drink/drugs/cigarettes or whatever it is you are addicted to.

I refer you to my previous comment.

Congratulations on stopping smoking I stopped recently and I haven't had a fag in a week and it's not easy. You are obviously a much mentally stronger person than Scott.

Addiction is an illness mate its not a choice it destroys families.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm wrong then, I must have been ill but then I decided not to be ill any more, that must be what happened. It's a miracle. Praise the Lord.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Hallelujah!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I have to confess that I see alcoholism as more a condition that compels you to consume substances brought on by excessive consumption of said substance in the first place. It's not an illness in the sense that it doesn't come along one day and hit you, you bring it on yourself. It's also possible to overcome through force of will (granted not without hardships) while many normal diseases are not. It's abusing substances which can bring on an addictive state of mind, it's not as if it's something you can't help.

I know in advance that many will disagree but that's just my view and I can't see Harrison or any abusive alcoholic in a good light because of it. Who knows, maybe he's just naturally a p-word even without the alcohol.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Perhaps he is trying to emulate Tony Galento...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

I hate to say it but I agree with Union. I have always felt that calling alcohlism a disease takes away the responsibility of the person to deal with it. If it's a disease it's not their fault. I don't buy that. You don't catch it. you have to make a conscious decision to go and buy alcohol and drink it or whatever the drug is...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am

Union has it bang on. Alcoholics claiming they have a "disease" or "illness" are making out they have no direct control.

I'm not ill now - and don't plan to be, but if I catch a cold - its not my fault I caught it. I just did. I'll ride it out and get better. I won't go around trying to catch more colds.

When I started amateur boxing - my trainer told me to cut out on the McDonalds even though I'm far from fat. It was going to be hard, I love the taste, I sometimes relapse and have the odd double cheeseburger but I wouldn't say I had an illness before. It was a vice. I overcame it, much like union with his cigarettes.

Anyway, Scott Harrison is a nice guy if my friends are anything to go by - but when he's had a drink I hear its Jekyll and Hyde.

Needs to leave boxing and go get a day job. Needs help getting his life together because he's obviously mentally fragile.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 am

My Sister died of drug addiction when I was much younger!!!

As a result I have done a lot of work (unpaid) with substance abusers over the years and had to put up with ignorant comments like yours!!

Addiction brings self-loathing.it makes people do things they don't want to do...it ruins lives both for the addict and the family circle....

No one wants to be an addict!!!!!!!!!!

It happens to the rich..poor..and the in-between...

Addiction is a mental illness...and it's bloody hard for anybody to overcome it..

My Sister tried everything and she couldn't stop....

I won't say anymore as everything in your World is black and white...

Please don't spout about things you know nothing about!!!

I've seen the devastation addiction causes!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 am

Why are you assuming that other people haven't had to deal with adversity in terms of substance addiction?

Addiction is a mental illness - however it is not a disease and it is self inflicted. Its not something that someone just accidentally becomes and only the person themselves can get out of it with help in some cases.

Why assume I know nothing about it? I no longer speak to one of my best friends because he became addicted to cocaine and refuses to seek help to overcome it. Its ruining his life financially and its ripping his body apart - I see it as his own fault and unless he wants to get better theres nothing anyone can do.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 am

Everything is black and white....

I know people who have lost families...houses...lives... because of addiction..

If it was so easy to get over... there wouldn't be so many of them out there!!

You think people want to lose everything???????/

Just remember that the World isn't black and white Son....

It's round..it spins.. and it can hurt....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
It's round..it spins.. and it can hurt....

Spinning back fist?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 am

Cool A delicacy at the blue oyster...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:13 am

I also know people who have lost their families, houses and lives because of cancer. Are we saying that something someone has elected and allowed themselves to spiral into is comparable to something someone has as an actual disease?

The fact is, addiction is easy to overcome in comparison, however it takes strength and support. Not medical assistance.

To bring this back on topic - Scott Harrison has a defined goal, to box again. He can do that. The only thing stopping him is his vice and his conduct out of the ring. Its well in his own grasp to change that.

People with actual diseases don't have that luxury.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:19 am

I think this particular argument has run it's course, those who think addiction is an illness are not going to be persuaded otherwise, and the same goes for those who think it isn't.

The sport of boxing, anyone?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:05 pm

The South Park line "Daddy's very sick" springs to mind when talking about addiction and illness.

I now have reservations as to whether Harrison ought to ever be allowed to box professionally again, that's being blunt. He's 34, hardly a spring chicken in boxing terms and still perfectly capable of acting like a drunken teenager by the look of things. Seeing as there's been so much discussion of late regarding the example set outside the ring in relation to the Chisora-Haye scenario, does it really sound right to have Harrison back in the ring with all he's done and apparently still doing?

Maybe a suspended ban or something is in order, so he can be certain next time he messes up that he'll face a time out.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:16 pm

BBBofC ban Chisora for a year for what he done. I think Harrison (with his previous issues) shouldn't be allowed near a ring.

Let's not forget, he wasn't having a go at another boxer, he has assaulted members of the public. Regardless of the "addictions" argument, he is a thug and if he can't help himself then Boxing certainly isn't going to help him.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Union Cane wrote:Addiction is a weakness of character, not an illness.

I was a 20-a-day smoker for 15 years. 3 years ago I decided that I didn't want to be a smoker any more, so I stopped. It wasn't easy but I did it.

Did I overcome an illness, or did I show strength of character?

It shows you have stronger will power than many. I smoke and still do despite trying to give up several times. One the other hand my dad who was a 40/day smoker gave up with no ill effects or much craving. Horses for courses. In my opinion it is an illness. Depression is an illness, drug addiction is an illness.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 pm

oops

http://www.hattonboxing.com/tv/news/2012/11/scott-harrison-sentenced-to-four-years-in-a-spanish-jail

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 pm

WTF. He was only released recently. Is this a new trial tried with him in abstentia? trange. Perhaps Spain wants some money. Leave Harrison alone.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next