The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Harrison - As deluded as his heavyweight namesake?

3 posters

Go down

Scott Harrison - As deluded as his heavyweight namesake?  Empty Scott Harrison - As deluded as his heavyweight namesake?

Post by RichC101 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

Morning all!

I'm a long time reader, since the BBC days, and I occasionally comment on a topic every now and again but I thought I would try my hand at writing my own thread on here.

Upon scanning through the BBC Sport pages this morning I came across this article highlighting Scott Harrison calling out Ricky Burns http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/21735953.

While Harrison had a good run in the early 2000s and is a two time champion at featherweight I feel that he is now deluding himself that he can recapture that former glory. Since his return last year I, amongst others, have thought he has looked far less than impressive against very limited opposition. Weight also seems to be an issue for him, he fought at featherweight when he was in his title run, since his return he has fought at lightweight and at welterweight in a 10 round and a 6 round contest respectively. Could the rise and fall in weight affect him significantly, especially at the age of 35 with the long spell of inactivity due to his prison sentence and personal problems?

His claims of being ready for another world title shot now remind me of a certain heavyweight chasing his destiny.

Is this a fight Burns would be interested in? He left Warren, it seems, due to being messed about and his fights never actually happening. Would Ricky want the stigma associated with taking on a long past it former champion with a plethora of personal issues, not to mention a 4 year sentence for assault in Spain which he is currently appealing?

If Burns makes the move to Matchroom as expected today I would expect Hearn to keep him away from Harrison and try to get a unification fight as soon as possible, whether that's with Vasquez or later in the year with Broner.

If the fight with Burns did come off would anyone give him even the slightest chance of winning?

Cheers, Rich Very Happy

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Scott Harrison - As deluded as his heavyweight namesake?  Empty Re: Scott Harrison - As deluded as his heavyweight namesake?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:14 am

Maybe the guy wants a big payday???? Cut him some slack.....

Lot's of muppets get big money and have less on their CV than this guy...

One of the most underappreciated and under rated fighters of recent times over here...

Give him one last shot.....After all Audley and Bruno got plenty.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Scott Harrison - As deluded as his heavyweight namesake?  Empty Re: Scott Harrison - As deluded as his heavyweight namesake?

Post by RichC101 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:43 am

I actually rated Harrison highly during his title reign and I think his loss to Medina was unlucky, but he dealt with him well enough in the rematch.

I just feel that when you hear Scott Harrison's name come up now it is usually for a negative reason i.e. assault charges etc.

I expect does want a big pay day, but he's not earned the shot if it comes to him... I didn't support Fraudley getting the title shot vs Haye either.

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:02 pm

Who earns shots these days......Did Lockett?? Did Audley Harrison??.....Did Jack Callaghan against matthew Hilton..........Alfredo Layne...Tomas Molinares...Chisora......Seung hoon lee.......Did Honey deserve a shot at Breland???...Pete Rademacher..........Jonny Paychek....

Former champion like Scott might as well have one.....so what If he's had problems

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

Harrison has this fight in his head due to Warren putting the idea there.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichC101 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

Fair point Truss, as I highlighted I was firmly against the Haye Harrison fight, and Chisora didn't earn a shot either so you're right I can't dispute that. But at least they had been relatively active.

Honey was probably more deserving in my eyes, yes he lost to sterling but he was an active fighter and a recent champion so you can argue his case.

Harrison on the other hand has fought twice since 2005 and in my opinion looked poor and like he was lacking stamina even over a 6 rounder in his last fight. I think he believes he has much more to offer than he does.

Hampo I expect you're right about Warren, giving him the idea.

Does anyone expect it to be competitive if it did come off though?

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:29 pm

Isn't Harrison being investigated for another assault charge anyway?

Wouldn't be surprised to see end up back in strangeways.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichC101 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:58 pm

He's appealing a 4 year assault sentence in Spain at the moment.

I don't know how he can concentrate on boxing with that in the background.

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down