The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the next big star of boxing?

+21
steven24
PPVxHOTTY
Sugar Floyd Louis
Rowley
TopHat24/7
ShahenshahG
Demon Racer
compelling and rich
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Boxtthis
Imperial Ghosty
Seanusarrilius
d260005p
Josef K.
aja424
Mind the windows Tino.
KingMonkey
88Chris05
manos de piedra
azania
Adam D
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is the next big star of boxing? Empty Who is the next big star of boxing?

Post by Adam D Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm

From the journal:

Who is the next big star of boxing?
by hampo171 on Tue 14 Feb 2012 - 10:37

At the moment, boxing is dominated by two men, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. They are both at the pinnacle of the sport, yet the chances of them sharing a ring are slim at best, a mega fight seems further away than ever if reported claims that Bradley could be Pacquiao's last fight are to believed. But what happens once these superstars are gone? Who is going to step up and replace them as the household name of world boxing?

The issue we currently face is that someone should already be pushing for this mantra, and he should already have his name known around the world, at least in casual boxing circles. It won't be a heavyweight that much I can guarantee. There isn't the depth in the division, nor are there any fighters with enough skill to carry the weight of the sport on his shoulders, David Haye had his chance to become the next household superstar by beating Wladimir Klitchsko and becoming a two time heavyweight champion, instead he put up a lacklustre performance and blamed his little toe, if Chisora wins will he become a household name around the world? The answer is no. The reason that Haye would have is because of one thing, his mouth.

What I want to do is take a look at who will become the next star of boxing, and here is my list of who I think stand a chance.

1. Timothy Bradley 28-0 (12)

His upcoming fight with Pacquiao will certainly get him much needed publicity. Although he is currently the WBO Light Welterweight champion, and was previously the WBC champion, he isn’t a name on the world stage. Either way his fight with Pacquiao will get him known, but a win would catapult his career from good world champion to global superstar.

2. Amir Khan 26-2 (18)

Golden Boy Promotions where grooming Khan to replace Pacquiao and Mayweather, but disaster struck when Lamont Peterson derailed the train by take a spilt decision last year. Before that Khans stock had risen slowly in the states, beating Paulie Mallinaggi and Zab Judah along the way. However since the Peterson fight and the subsequent fallout, involving the infamous man in the hat, Khans stock has dropped sharply in the states and it could take some time to build that reputation back up.

3. Andre Ward 25-0 (13)

Described by some as a stay home fighter, but described by others as one of the most exciting fighters in the world today. His quick hands and under estimated power where on show in the recent super six tournament, beating the two favourites; Mikkel Kessler and Carl Froch with relative ease. As it stands he has no fight scheduled in the next few months, he could look to move up to Light Heavyweight, or stay at his current way and try to get a fight with Bute for the IBF title, the issue than becomes which fighter is willing to give away home advantage to make the fight.

4. Saul Alvarez 39-0-1 (29)

Has the chance to beat a legend in Shane Mosley on the 5th of May and I expect him to put on a good show, and while beating a faded legend won't make the best in the world it will give him experience, and I'm sure it will make more people in the boxing world sit up and take notice if he could stop him. People often complain that boxers don't fight often at enough, a criticism that can not be said about Alvarez, since turning pro he has had 40 fights and is still only 21, and while he may not have fought the best in the world, fights like Mosley and Cintron allow him to learn his trade and improve as a fighter.

5. Kell Brook 26-0 (18)

Had his first fight in America last year; beating Luis Galarza in five rounds. His style is made for America, fast, powerful and exciting to watch. He has spent his time on the domestic circuit, and has often showed skills similar to Naseem Hamed in his prime. He has the swagger of a man who knows that he is destined for great things. The Welterweight division is full of good fighters and after getting his home coming out of the way against Matthew Hatton he needs to be looking for a fight against one of the top gives like Victor Ortiz, Andre Berto or Mike Jones. Beating one of these will thrust him to title contention and the opportunity to realise his dream.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Who is the next big star of boxing? Empty Re: Who is the next big star of boxing?

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

Adrian Broner. Exciting to watch and with charisma (although he seems to try hard on the charisma issue).

Last edited by azania on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

azania

Back to top Go down

Who is the next big star of boxing? Empty Re: Who is the next big star of boxing?

Post by manos de piedra Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm

On the list, Alvarez would be my pick.

I think Ward will go down the Hopkins route of highly respected but lacking appreciation.

Broner and Gamboa in the lower weights would be two that look like they can go up the weights and pleae the crowds. Could be a potential for a possible Pacquiao/Mayweather style rivalry there although its very early days.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

Ward and Gamboa will be the two men fighting for pound for pound supremacy over the next half decade, I suspect, without either becoming a huge crossover star. That honour will most likely go to Broner or Alvarez - I believe the latter had a television audience of almost forty million worldwide for a recent title defence.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:27 pm

Union Cane wrote:
azania wrote:Adrian Broney. Exciting to watch and with charisma (although he seems to try hard on the charisma issue).

You mean Adrien Broner?

Yep. Typo

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm

http://v2journal.com/who-is-the-next-big-star.html

In all its glory if any of you felt inclined to check out the journal!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm

Ward is the standout boxer there but lacking charisma and star quality. Alvarez is a loss away from the bubble being busted and that loss will happen as soon as he steps up. Exciting fighter but I dont rate him highly.

Broner will climb the weights and settle at welterweight. He has the frame to carry it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm

What Az said.

Although Alvarez appears to be on a decent curve so I don't buy into him being beaten the moment he steps up. He's young and talented and I don't see any reason why he can't continue to improve so long as his curve is managed correctly.

Broner for me looks the business. Broner vs Brook in a few years could (COULD) be immense.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

It will take more than a loss to destroy Alvarez. He has a massive fanbase.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

azania wrote:Alvarez is a loss away from the bubble being busted and that loss will happen as soon as he steps up. Exciting fighter but I dont rate him highly.

Broner will climb the weights and settle at welterweight. He has the frame to carry it.

Surely Broner is one loss away from the bubble being burst, as well? What is the difference other than you think one is better than the other?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

Broner looks quality, and young enough to improve!
Have always enjoyed watching Brook and hope he goes all the way, don't think he could touch mayweather or Pac but a 37 or 38 year old mayweather or Pac could certainly be possible.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

Gary Russell Jr immediately springs to mind, has great skills at this early stage of his career. Don't think it would be too hard for him to get his hands on a belt at SF either.

Ward has definitely got an aura about him after the Froch win. Just hitting what should be his peak hopefully should see a good few years of domination at SM or even potentially taking on a few names at LH.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
azania wrote:Alvarez is a loss away from the bubble being busted and that loss will happen as soon as he steps up. Exciting fighter but I dont rate him highly.

Surely Broner is one loss away from the bubble being burst, as well? What is the difference other than you think one is better than the other?

Broner is also. But Alvarez is more likely to lose that Broner is at this stage of their respective careers. Broner looks a class (and weight) apart. Alvarez looks very beatable imo.

Broner looks to have star quality but somewhat manufactured charisma whereas Alvarez is already a big star. He has a greater height to fall from. So far he has been fed easy meat (like JCC Jnr) and I feel once he steps up he'll be found wanting.

Broner wins every second of every fight (except for de Leon) he has fought and looks thoroughly dominating.

Ward is the class boxer of the group posted, but he has as much charisma as a wooden plank.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:15 pm

Azania, I don't think Ward lacks the charisma to be a star, no, he doesn't have the 'in your face' appeal of someone like Mayweather, but I think he's quite eloquent and well spoken and in the way he presents himself. Maybe that's what we need to be the ambassador to the sport, especially after the last couple of weeks' events. Plus, he's quite a handsome bar steward - always helps.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

Josef K. wrote:Plus, he's quite a handsome bar steward - always helps.

Do you think? He has strange eyes if you ask me, always looks like he has been smoking those strange shaped cigarettes that kids have.

Intelligent chap by all accounts though. I read somewhere that he reads Forbes magazine and invests his money wisely. Not really sure all the Son of God stuff is really necessary, but he is a pleasant change from some of the idiots that are around in the sport.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:24 pm

Josef K. wrote:Azania, I don't think Ward lacks the charisma to be a star, no, he doesn't have the 'in your face' appeal of someone like Mayweather, but I think he's quite eloquent and well spoken and in the way he presents himself. Maybe that's what we need to be the ambassador to the sport, especially after the last couple of weeks' events. Plus, he's quite a handsome bar steward - always helps.

He just doesn't have that X Factor that causes a boxer to elevate. You dont have to be 'in your face'. Take Manny as a prime example. Well mannered and a good ambassador but also a huge star. Perhaps its because of where he's from but he has crossed over.

SRL is another. Ward lacks that extra something to get people talking about him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

Adrian Broner for me. Followed by Ward then Khan. Alvarez will soon come unstuck although his division isnt the best. Ward is on another level then ANY SMW. Khan can come back and dominate im sure. Think he hammers Bradley. Gamboa im not counting because he is over 30 so will only be around for next couple of years (max 5) but Ward, Khan, Broner have years left in the sport. xxxx

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

Ignore the kisses, i was emailing my missus at the same time! Smile

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

azania wrote:
Josef K. wrote:Azania, I don't think Ward lacks the charisma to be a star, no, he doesn't have the 'in your face' appeal of someone like Mayweather, but I think he's quite eloquent and well spoken and in the way he presents himself. Maybe that's what we need to be the ambassador to the sport, especially after the last couple of weeks' events. Plus, he's quite a handsome bar steward - always helps.

He just doesn't have that X Factor that causes a boxer to elevate. You dont have to be 'in your face'. Take Manny as a prime example. Well mannered and a good ambassador but also a huge star. Perhaps its because of where he's from but he has crossed over.

SRL is another. Ward lacks that extra something to get people talking about him.

I agree with the X factor comment, at the moment - maybe he can build his reputation up over time. Although all in the Super Six gave us some fantastic fights and Ward now has one of the best resumes in boxing, it always felt like a means to an end, maybe he can now grow into his true persona, maybe another name will give his true pulling power, maybe, maybe, maybe....

You're right, for the time being he doesn't have star power. I just disagreed with your comment about the wooden plank, that's all.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:35 pm

d260005p wrote:Ignore the kisses, i was emailing my missus at the same time! Smile

Emailing your missus about Boner? Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:36 pm

Bradley and Ward will never be "stars" for some reason they don't resonate witha wider audience.

Gamboa, Broner or Alvarez they are the guys for me. Broner is shameless in his self promotion, American and has flashy skills, so he is my fav for the next big star. Onces he movres up in weight and gets the necessary challenges then i think his star will rise.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:37 pm

No worries JK. Ward is just a boring character. Perhaps its that SOG stuff that irritates me.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

azania wrote:
d260005p wrote:Ignore the kisses, i was emailing my missus at the same time! Smile

Im not that bad mate! Smile Just emailing her letting her know how much money i have earnt today, whilst explaining that my wage will be paying for Froch vs Bute. Very Happy

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:56 pm

d260005p wrote:
azania wrote:

Im not that bad mate! Smile Just emailing her letting her know how much money i have earnt today, whilst explaining that my wage will be paying for Froch vs Bute. Very Happy

How much did you earn then? You can't float that out there and then leave us hanging?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

d260005p wrote:
azania wrote:

If you say so. Thought you were talkig about your Boner to your missus. Apologies Smile

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

haha Thats another story. It is Friday night though, so i may get lucky! Wink

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

At a different stage of his career than the likes of Gamboa and Ward but Gary Russell Jnr is the fighters i've been most excited by for years, looks very classy but whether he fulfills his potential is a completely different question.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

azania wrote:No worries JK. Ward is just a boring character. Perhaps its that SOG stuff that irritates me.

Me too. I can't help but roll my eyes when ridiculously in-your-face religious boxers start to thank their 'lord and saviour Jesus Christ' etc, etc. Nothing wrong with faith, but it's just so in-your-face. And these guys are almost always incredibly boring. It's perhaps the reason why so many religious types do so well, having never drank, been in bed by 10pm on every Saturday night, and being driven by fulfilling their god-given talent. I'd imagine Ricky Hatton would've been a lot better if he'd been the super-christian type. Wouldn't have had as many fans though.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:06 pm

Alvarez is already a huge star in boxing. Not because of his fights so far but becaus of everything else he brings to he table. You can tell when someone's a star when they're 21 and are considered as serious opponents for all of pacquiao, mayweather and cotto.

Broner also is an obvious choice because of an exciting style in and out of the ring.

I'm surprised people have written off donaire so quickly. He is exciting with lots of power. He dominated Vasquez till he injured his hand in his first right at the weight. When pacquiao retires the Filipino crowd will get behind him like they did pacquiao.

There are very talented fighters out there that have the talent to be up there. Sillakh, mikey Garcia, golovkin, mercito gesta are all fighter with undoubted talent.

Rios could be a star if he beats Gamboa as he has that exciting style that will always attract crowds.

Abner mares should also get an honourable mention, especially if he transcends the weight divisions

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:10 pm

just cant see anyone having a chance with ward around the weight and think his profile will suffer because of this. nobody likes real one sided contests ala k brothers. where as, the likes of broner and alvarez have much more comptetion in there weight catergorys (when/if broner moves up) and also have a more appealing style for the fans to get behind. especially alvarez who will be in plenty of wars considering his style.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:13 pm

also think the real lower weights like gamboa will still suffer like they always do unless they move up. there are never any real media superstars in the lowest weight categories. seems like they only take intrest from lightweight and above

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

Khan a chump, he'll get beaten again by Lamont, cry and then get battered by Kell Brook. He'll promptly change nationality and become Pakistan's 'star'.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

Demon Racer wrote:Khan a chump, he'll get beaten again by Lamont, cry and then get battered by Kell Brook. He'll promptly change nationality and become Pakistan's 'star'.

I can see why those on the cricket board call you obnoxious

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:Khan a chump, he'll get beaten again by Lamont, cry and then get battered by Kell Brook. He'll promptly change nationality and become Pakistan's 'star'.

Because I speak the truth you don't like it. Khan is a chump and will become a journeyman. Just embrace your glass chinned soldier.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:42 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

Because I speak the truth you don't like it. Khan is a chump and will become a journeyman. Just embrace your glass chinned soldier.

And if he should win?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

And if he should win?
If he gets lucky, will he be man enough to give Lamont a rubber match? I doubt it. He's been too scared to even give a wild slugger like Prescott a rematch. A real champion would set the record straight and beat the life out of Prescott.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:15 pm

Yes because all real champions avenge their losses don't they?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:18 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Yes because all real champions avenge their losses don't they?
Lennox Lewis...

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:19 pm

Do ALL of them?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Do ALL of them?
Depends on who they lose to, and if an agreement can be reached. Prescott has offered Khan a rematch for the passed 3-4 years. Khan is scared.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:27 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

And if he should win?
If he gets lucky, will he be man enough to give Lamont a rubber match? I doubt it. He's been too scared to even give a wild slugger like Prescott a rematch. A real champion would set the record straight and beat the life out of Prescott.
laughing Doh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:29 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
Depends on who they lose to, and if an agreement can be reached. Prescott has offered Khan a rematch for the passed 3-4 years. Khan is scared.

Or simply Prescott has done nothing to warrant or deserve a rematch whilst Khan has gone on to become a World champ and top 10 p4p fighter.... Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:30 pm

Demon Racer wrote:

He must be quaking in his boots, been facing the best fighters in his division but hasn't fought a small fry fighter like Prescott so is obviously a coward. Why does it make who a fighter losses to, if they are a real champion they would want to avenge it regardless wouldn't they?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:36 pm

Would also point out the Lewis is a cack example as Lewis was World champ at the time of his losses and he avenged them to win his titles back. Not a kid on the way up that moved on to bigger and better things.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

He must be quaking in his boots, been facing the best fighters in his division but hasn't fought a small fry fighter like Prescott so is obviously a coward. Why does it make who a fighter losses to, if they are a real champion they would want to avenge it regardless wouldn't they?
Yeah sure fighting a washed up Zab Judah or a non punching Paulie 'Magic Man' Malignaggi, real top draw. Maidana is the only top draw fighter he has fought, and he got a debatable victory.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

Judah, Malignaggi, Kotelnik, Maidana and Peterson were all better opposition to face than Prescott, all ranked fighters in the division he was a world champion. In what way was it a debatable victory?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

Archie moore got his arse handed to him by Rowleys favourite burley - didnt want to touch him with a bargepole after that. Also - did prescott not turn it down initially? Saying he would move onto bigger and better things - then when khan unexpectedly dragged himself higher than he previously was - did he not offer him a rematch if he beat mcloskey? He lost. It would be stupid for khan to go back to that level because hes gotta beat bradley to legitimize himself as lww king Otherwise he'll be remembered as good - not great.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote: In what way was it a debatable victory?

Maidana had a good round.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

rowley wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote: In what way was it a debatable victory?

Maidana had a good round.

I forgot that one good round is more important than the other 11 rounds, not as if Maidana was saved by the bell in the first round either.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Judah, Malignaggi, Kotelnik, Maidana and Peterson were all better opposition to face than Prescott, all ranked fighters in the division he was a world champion. In what way was it a debatable victory?
He wasn't champion when he faced Kotelnik.

Judah was an easy win.

Malignaggi was another easy fight, Magic Man has no punch power to hurt Khan's glass jaw.

Peterson outclassed him.

Maidana was robbed.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next