The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the next big star of boxing?

+21
steven24
PPVxHOTTY
Sugar Floyd Louis
Rowley
TopHat24/7
ShahenshahG
Demon Racer
compelling and rich
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Boxtthis
Imperial Ghosty
Seanusarrilius
d260005p
Josef K.
aja424
Mind the windows Tino.
KingMonkey
88Chris05
manos de piedra
azania
Adam D
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who is the next big star of boxing? - Page 2 Empty Who is the next big star of boxing?

Post by Adam D Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

From the journal:

Who is the next big star of boxing?
by hampo171 on Tue 14 Feb 2012 - 10:37

At the moment, boxing is dominated by two men, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. They are both at the pinnacle of the sport, yet the chances of them sharing a ring are slim at best, a mega fight seems further away than ever if reported claims that Bradley could be Pacquiao's last fight are to believed. But what happens once these superstars are gone? Who is going to step up and replace them as the household name of world boxing?

The issue we currently face is that someone should already be pushing for this mantra, and he should already have his name known around the world, at least in casual boxing circles. It won't be a heavyweight that much I can guarantee. There isn't the depth in the division, nor are there any fighters with enough skill to carry the weight of the sport on his shoulders, David Haye had his chance to become the next household superstar by beating Wladimir Klitchsko and becoming a two time heavyweight champion, instead he put up a lacklustre performance and blamed his little toe, if Chisora wins will he become a household name around the world? The answer is no. The reason that Haye would have is because of one thing, his mouth.

What I want to do is take a look at who will become the next star of boxing, and here is my list of who I think stand a chance.

1. Timothy Bradley 28-0 (12)

His upcoming fight with Pacquiao will certainly get him much needed publicity. Although he is currently the WBO Light Welterweight champion, and was previously the WBC champion, he isn’t a name on the world stage. Either way his fight with Pacquiao will get him known, but a win would catapult his career from good world champion to global superstar.

2. Amir Khan 26-2 (18)

Golden Boy Promotions where grooming Khan to replace Pacquiao and Mayweather, but disaster struck when Lamont Peterson derailed the train by take a spilt decision last year. Before that Khans stock had risen slowly in the states, beating Paulie Mallinaggi and Zab Judah along the way. However since the Peterson fight and the subsequent fallout, involving the infamous man in the hat, Khans stock has dropped sharply in the states and it could take some time to build that reputation back up.

3. Andre Ward 25-0 (13)

Described by some as a stay home fighter, but described by others as one of the most exciting fighters in the world today. His quick hands and under estimated power where on show in the recent super six tournament, beating the two favourites; Mikkel Kessler and Carl Froch with relative ease. As it stands he has no fight scheduled in the next few months, he could look to move up to Light Heavyweight, or stay at his current way and try to get a fight with Bute for the IBF title, the issue than becomes which fighter is willing to give away home advantage to make the fight.

4. Saul Alvarez 39-0-1 (29)

Has the chance to beat a legend in Shane Mosley on the 5th of May and I expect him to put on a good show, and while beating a faded legend won't make the best in the world it will give him experience, and I'm sure it will make more people in the boxing world sit up and take notice if he could stop him. People often complain that boxers don't fight often at enough, a criticism that can not be said about Alvarez, since turning pro he has had 40 fights and is still only 21, and while he may not have fought the best in the world, fights like Mosley and Cintron allow him to learn his trade and improve as a fighter.

5. Kell Brook 26-0 (18)

Had his first fight in America last year; beating Luis Galarza in five rounds. His style is made for America, fast, powerful and exciting to watch. He has spent his time on the domestic circuit, and has often showed skills similar to Naseem Hamed in his prime. He has the swagger of a man who knows that he is destined for great things. The Welterweight division is full of good fighters and after getting his home coming out of the way against Matthew Hatton he needs to be looking for a fight against one of the top gives like Victor Ortiz, Andre Berto or Mike Jones. Beating one of these will thrust him to title contention and the opportunity to realise his dream.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Who is the next big star of boxing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the next big star of boxing?

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

If Khan vs Bradley ever happens, Bradley will end Khan's career.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Who is the next big star of boxing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the next big star of boxing?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

How was Maidana robbed? Most observers had Khan a deserved winner.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

Demon Racer wrote:

Peterson outclassed him.

Maidana was robbed.

Am beginning to think you're perhaps not the most objective of fellows when it comes to Khan, a clear points win where an opponent wins perhaps one round clearly becomes a robbery and a split decision loss which would have been a victory but for points deductions becomes being outclassed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:How was Maidana robbed? Most observers had Khan a deserved winner.
Each to their own. I had Maidana winning. Again if a rematch was made, Maidana would win.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:54 pm

rowley wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Peterson outclassed him.

Maidana was robbed.

Am beginning to think you're perhaps not the most objective of fellows when it comes to Khan, a clear points win where an opponent wins perhaps one round clearly becomes a robbery and a split decision loss which would have been a victory but for points deductions becomes being outclassed.
Peterson won 6-7 rounds, the judges didn't score correctly as Khan wasthe 'superstar'. Peterson from rounds 6-12 was all over Khan.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:56 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:How was Maidana robbed? Most observers had Khan a deserved winner.
Each to their own. I had Maidana winning. Again if a rematch was made, Maidana would win.

Based on what did Maidana and how was it a robbery?

You clearly no naff all about boxing, stick to cricket and motorsport.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:57 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
rowley wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Peterson outclassed him.

Maidana was robbed.

Peterson won 6-7 rounds, the judges didn't score correctly as Khan wasthe 'superstar'. Peterson from rounds 6-12 was all over Khan.

Say Peterson did win 6 or 7 rounds which I personally don't think he did, how is that an outclassing?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:
rowley wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Peterson outclassed him.

Maidana was robbed.

Say Peterson did win 6 or 7 rounds which I personally don't think he did, how is that an outclassing?
Easy, Khan assumed that Peterson would be a push over. Winning 6-7 rounds against a unified World Champion is being outclassed.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:04 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Apart from one body shot, which knocked Maidana down, what else did Khan show? Nothing.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:04 pm

I still think Khan was pretty unlucky against Peterson to be honest, and that's nothing to do with the point deductions, either. Even with those, Peterson's hustling may have perhaps been worth a draw, but in no way do I think he did enough to actually claim a win.

Not sure I've seen anyone claim that Maidana deserved the verdict over Khan until just now, mind you - a statement which surely sets new standards in eccentricity.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Apart from one body shot, which knocked Maidana down, what else did Khan show? Nothing.

Umm...boxing his head off at long range for 2/3 of the fight.

Apart from round 10 what else had maidana done

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:
rowley wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Peterson outclassed him.

Maidana was robbed.

Easy, Khan assumed that Peterson would be a push over. Winning 6-7 rounds against a unified World Champion is being outclassed.

No that isn't being outclassed, that is losing a close fight, the status of a fighter doesn't determine the manner of victory.

Khan used speed against Maidana to connect at will for large parts of the fights, aside from the 10th round Maidana showed little to suggest he deserved to win but seeing as i'm clearly talking to an incredibly biased poster i'll leave it there.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:12 pm

My last post on Khan. He lost to Peterson, come the rematch it will be the same result. He'll beg Bradley for a shot, and lose again.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:46 pm

Broner for me, though he will be HUGELY disliked like Mayweather.

His trashtalking and antics will be unbearable to some. Personally, I love it!

Here's a vid where Broner and Perez had to be separated at a conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5lcGaRuS78

This and after the fight he said he should've kept his chain on because he didn't get caught once Laugh

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:57 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Khan did enough to beat Maidana early doors!

Why are people going on about Khan and Maidana they are not in the same league as Bradley, Alexander and Peterson. It only took most boxing fans time to realize that Khan is a 1 dimensional flurry hitter whose defence is to stand back in shell with guard up 'no lateral movement' no head movement etc. Maidana is similar except he tries to walk you down with power shots. In fact I rate Peterson higher than both Khan and Maidana. Bradley is the most likely to shine as he has inner belief and understands what needs to be done to grind out victories. Entertainment wise id pay to watch your Khans and ur Maidanas but in terms of boxing ability Bradley is streets ahead of these guys!

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:00 am

Broner is brilliant, he is entertaining both inside and outside the ring,

At the pressed vs Perez you got to love the line "I back it up like a dump truck with a loud beep"

This kid is going to attract a lot of attention and will be the new face of HBO 24/7 as floyd was the only guy who was good on that show

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:03 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Broner is brilliant, he is entertaining both inside and outside the ring,

At the pressed vs Perez you got to love the line "I back it up like a dump truck with a loud beep"

This kid is going to attract a lot of attention and will be the new face of HBO 24/7 as floyd was the only guy who was good on that show

Agreed the kid Broner has huge potential his 4th round demolition of Perez was impressive. Canelo is another young gun who has a massive following and will be a force to be reckoned with.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

Broner looks like he could be special, that Perez was damn ugly, slow and garbage though, but Broner has looked special since i first saw him fight, Alvarez is pure class also, British wise, Billy Joe Saunders looks brilliant.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:34 am

Perez was most certainly not garbage... Have a look at his other fights he's very good actually, try researching someone before saying he's garbage.

Onto who is the next star? Well I HAVE to go with Broner some people don't like him, but I think funny as, I won't be missing any pre-fight or actual fights with him. "Max I shoulda' worn ma' jewellery in there 'cos I didn't get hit once!" "Ladies and Gentleman put your sunglasses on, 'cos I'm about to shine!" Love it.

Also GARY RUSSELL JR!!! He makes Pacs handspeed look slow!! Can't wait for him, but might be at too low a weight class for him to seriously get noticed.

Donaire will be there, Ward will be a Hopkins type figure, we look at him with prestige and rate his skills, but with how ugly it is to watch it will never cross over.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:37 am

I'll admit I hadn't seen Broner fight when I wrote this article, having watched him a few times on youtube the guy is class. His attitude is fantastic, and as you've mentioned Alex he brings "swagger" to the table Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:25 am

steven24 wrote:Broner looks like he could be special, that Perez was damn ugly, slow and garbage though, but Broner has looked special since i first saw him fight, Alvarez is pure class also, British wise, Billy Joe Saunders looks brilliant.

Billy Joe should fight at Junior MW. If he dedicated himself and became injury free he will be a euro champ.....no more than that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:42 am

How the heck do you make that Az...?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:27 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:How the heck do you make that Az...?

He carries too much excess. Doesn't he come in just over the MW limit?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Coola Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Going back to what the original article was about.

Surely Nonito Donaire will be next big thing, in my opinion the Filipino Flash will take over from Manny Pacquiao as the best pound for pound boxer in the world.

Coola

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

I think its going to be Donaire or Broner tbh..

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:51 pm

azania wrote:
d260005p wrote:
azania wrote:
d260005p wrote:Ignore the kisses, i was emailing my missus at the same time! Smile

Emailing your missus about Boner? Shocked

Im not that bad mate! Smile Just emailing her letting her know how much money i have earnt today, whilst explaining that my wage will be paying for Froch vs Bute. Very Happy

If you say so. Thought you were talkig about your Boner to your missus. Apologies Smile

That specific day i earnt £172! Smile Earnt ALOT more today though and its only 1551! Get in!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2