The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peyton Manning - Is he driven by money?

+7
Whackamole
skins4ever
mikeygnfl
Forward Pass
Thomond
Colan (niner)
Good Golly I'm Olly
11 posters

Go down

Peyton Manning - Is he driven by money? Empty Peyton Manning - Is he driven by money?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 am

After Manning signed with the Denver Broncos it got me thinking. Is Peyton Manning picking money over everything else?

If you look at his career, his contract in Indianapolis took up a huge chunk of cap space which meant his defence suffered.
Now he has chosen the Denver Broncos over the San Francisco 49ers, and it is well documented the Broncos have the most cap space of the teams who were chasing him. But they were the team least Super Bowl ready. So it got me thinking that he would rather get another paycheck rather than another Super Bowl ring which he has more chance of getting with the 49ers.

So I pose you the question, Is Peyton Manning driven by money over Super Bowl success?
Discuss
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Peyton Manning - Is he driven by money? Empty Re: Peyton Manning - Is he driven by money?

Post by Colan (niner) Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 am

More driven my money I think but to be fair, all the speculation of him being willing to accept less money didn't come directly from him. I don't know the ins and outs but I sort of lost a little respect respect towards him when i heard the decision but then again we can't be sure how big of a push the niners made, after all they are like ninja's, nobody knows where they are or what they will do

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Peyton Manning - Is he driven by money? Empty Re: Peyton Manning - Is he driven by money?

Post by Thomond Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:56 am

Think you're being a bit harsh. Denver are a very good team. Great defence, great run game, even without Tebow. They have some solid WRs and could improve here in the draft. They are pretty close with a QB who (hopefully) can throw properly. Are you going to say Brees is driven by money if he gets the money he is looking for? All of them are pretty driven by money to be honest.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:57 am

Thomond wrote:Think you're being a bit harsh. Denver are a very good team. Great defence, great run game, even without Tebow. They have some solid WRs and could improve here in the draft. They are pretty close with a QB who (hopefully) can throw properly. Are you going to say Brees is driven by money if he gets the money he is looking for? All of them are pretty driven by money to be honest.

Good point but I just think at this point in Peyton's career he should be looking for another Super Bowl ring. Let's face it he's minted already!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:16 am

I agree , I suppose i sort of believed the rumours that he wasn't seeking another grand deal but his move to the broncos suggests that wasn't true, I'm also sad that Tebowtime is over

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 am

It will be back on in Jacksonville. Why would you want to Tebow time? I find it annoying how ESPN and NFL network don't shut up about him! We get it he is a White Christian athlete who plays like a running back.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 am

i find it annoying sometimes too but just think it would be strange without it

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 am

Don't agree with OP
Broncos are a very good team like the 49ers both based on exceptional defenses
Probably just as much chance of a SB with Denver as SF
Manning also stated he would prefer to stay in AFC

Will be interesting now to see how other teams QB situation pans out
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 am

I'm not convinced the 49ers move was ever on.

Peyton Manning and Alex Smith have the same agent and I'm pretty sure that is was all a bit of 'cat and mouse' to try and get a better deal for Smith.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 pm

1) Every player is motivated by money as they are professionals with a short career time span. They love playing, true, but its a job so you get the best wage you can.
2) Manning has probably 2-4 years left depending on health. If his neck goes again it could be 0 years left. He's got an SB ring so he's looking primarily to set himself up for life with this contract. However, he's certainly not going to go to a team that's 2-3 years away form a possible SB as he wants to win again, especially now his bro has 2.
3) I doubt this was a leverage tool for Alex Smith's contract. Manning couldn't give 2 figs about Smith's contract and his agent would be undermining one client to further the needs of another. That will come back and bite him if it came out. A player has to be able to trust his agent is acting in his best interest alone when negotiating on his behalf.
4) The 49ers are in position to step up and challenge for the SB. If they felt bringing Manning in, instead of continuing with Smith (who was after all trying to get a better offer), would give them that shot, then they are going to try. With Smith under contract, it could have been different as they would then be looking at cap space being a possible issue (who has 2 highly paid QB's on the roster?).
5) If Manning can still play at his best, then the Bronco's are only 2-3 players away from being capable of dominating the division for 2-3 years. The Raiders are in a mess, the Chiefs are rebuilding and the Chargers are losing good players. Add a quality WR and solidify the roster depth, and they are highly competitive. Von Miller on one side of the ball and Manning on the other? I wouldn't want to face them if I had the choice.

For me, whilst I thought Miami would be in the running in case Flynn was unavailable, it was Titans, 49ers and Broncos as final 3. 49ers still See Kaepernick as the solution in 1-2 years, so they were never going to throw everything at Manning. I suspect the Titans coaching staff weren't convinced or convincing after last weeks exchanges. In the end, the Bronco's had the cap room and improvement prospects (in FA and the draft) for an already good team.

I was a little surprised that the Bronco's went after him so strong, but in hindsight, Elway has never been sold on Tebow and this hopefully gives them 2 years to find and groom a long term replacement. Massive down side for them is if Manning goes down - who's going to be backing him up if Tebow is toast?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Whackamole Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 am

Thomond wrote:It will be back on in Jacksonville. Why would you want to Tebow time? I find it annoying how ESPN and NFL network don't shut up about him! We get it he is a White Christian athlete who plays like a running back.

I guarantee it won't be Tebowtime in Jacksonville
Whackamole
Whackamole

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:48 am

Whackamole wrote:I guarantee it won't be Tebowtime in Jacksonville

Now they've missed out on Flynn and Manning, what about Miami? gives them a real rushing threat instead of Bush...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:19 am

With that gimpy neck of his, I don't blame Manning for wanting to get his hands on all the guaranteed cash that he can get.

He's just missed out on $28m of the Colts money that he probably always assumed he'd be getting and had started spending in his head. It's time to start grabbing some of that back and making some hay while the sun is still shining on that neck of his. He's a 4 time league MVP. He's earned it. He's been there and done that with Superbowls so no need to bust a gut trying to get to another one. His legacy is set and he'll be in the Hall of Fame one day. Whether or not he wins another Superbowl won't change that. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

Last edited by Number-25 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't type properly)

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 am

I think Peyton is money oriented -- he's been an elite QB whose future has been questioned and one way elite players judge their worth is by how much $$ is thrown their way. I was listening to the Dan Patrick show and he was joking with the Danettes, after talking to a Denver journalist, about how Peyton can be a bit sensitive and how he refused to do their show for a number of years after Dan had posed the question on air of would Peyton take less money to make sure his guys in Indy got paid (much like Tom Brady ended up doing). I'm sure football environment had plenty to do with Peyton's choice of Denver, but I think there were other teams he would have had a better chance of winning a Super Bowl with.

And I'll be interested to see how this works out. Denver's defense can't be labeled 'great' -- they just played very well in stretches last season, but there were times when they couldn't stop offenses.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Although i think money has played an important part in this deal. I think he joined Denver because he believes they're on the right track. They're in a open division, so have a very good chance of constently getting into the play offs. They have a semblence of a good squad, and with there history he can put himself up with the greats if he turns them back to a team that's always there or there abouts with regards to the playoff finals/ superbowl.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:50 am

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/will-peyton-manning-lead-broncos-back-promised-land-3117

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:11 am

I cant get the link to work Smile

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 am

Yeah, something is up with their site. Give this a go, written by myshttp://secondcityfanatics.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/will-peyton-manning-lead-broncos-back-to-the-promised-land/elf:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down