The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result.

+30
Triangulation
Messymesina
offload
BigTrevsbigmac
Full Credit
aucklandlaurie
dragonbreath
Taffineastbourne
SecretFly
Morgannwg
mr-bryns-attitude
niwatts
TycroesOsprey
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Shifty
Feckless Rogue
wales606
Liam
jay_welsh
ChequeredJersey
Luckless Pedestrian
Cowshot
maestegmafia
eirebilly
gowales
LordDowlais
Taylorman
Woodstock
Ozzy3213
Biltong
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result.

Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap44%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 44 ]
Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap1%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap0%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap28%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 28 ]
Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap4%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap0%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap21%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 21 ]
Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_lcap2%Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 100

Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Empty Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result.

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:36 am

Most likely the most anticipated test series of the summer tour. Six Nations champion vs Tri Nation champion, the repeat of the 3rd and 4th play off of the world cup.

Australia might give the impression that they do not have the strongest scruammagin prowess, but when looking closer at how they scrummed last year it is clear that the odd game did go south in the scrums, but if the wlesh expect this a weakness to exploit, then they might be focusing on the wrng erea. Quade Cooper in my opinion is the weakness, that is to say if he is selected. Robie Deans may just go for James O'Connor. The one thing the australians have are a whole host of interchangeable players, or utility value if you want to be honest. Most of their players can slot into anyone of two of three positions and there for any lack of depth they may have is countered by the flexibility Deans has at his disposal.

Warren gatland has had a similar period in the last 18 months where his team has been built around some young stars, a young inspirational captain and a solid pack. For me the excitment that would be seen between these two back lines is what will make this series the most entertaining and exciting to watch.

Will Wales use more conservative methods like they did against France, and kick for territory, or will they run the ball at every opportunity, Australia will certainly do that.

My personal view is Wales can come away with a win on Australian soil, they'll have to be in top form though, in 24 matches against the SH giantsaway from home, they have only managed one win, and that was in 1969.

Last edited by biltongbek on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Empty Re: Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result.

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:11 am

I think this will be the most entertaining of the sumemr series, with both teams looking to play at a high tempo. I think looking at things as an outsider that Wales have the better pack, but the Australians have a backline that can carve anyone to pieces.

Wales have traditionally struggled to beat SH opposition, but look much better equipped to do so presently than at any other time that I can remember. Can they do it moer than once over there? I'm not sure. I think it will be small steps on the road forwards, so I can see them nicking one game, but ultimately losing the series.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result. Empty Re: Australia vs Wales: Predict the series result.

Post by Woodstock Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:29 am

Someone has voted for 2-0 and 1-1 ! What happened to the 3rd games here?
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:30 am

possible draws woodstock.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:46 am

Shocked sure
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:48 am

biltongbek wrote:possible draws woodstock.

Ok. Just looks a little odd and 0-0 isnt there.

Wont be draws anyway with the ball moving so fast at both ends of the park.

I've still gone 3-0 to Oz. No idea why...gut feel I suppose. A 3 test series win by a NH side over a SH side must be pretty rare and Oz have home advantage all 3.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:49 am

It is not a common occurence, but it does happen. roughly 4% of all test matches end in draws.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:51 am

biltongbek wrote:Most likely the most anticipated test series of the summer tour. Six Nations champion vs Tri Nation champion, the repeat of the 3rd and 4th play off of the world cup.

Australia might give the impression that they do not have the strongest scruammagin prowess, but when looking closer at how they scrummed last year it is clear that the odd game did go south in the scrums, but if the wlesh expect this a weakness to exploit, then they might be focusing on the wrng erea. Quade Cooper in my opinion is the weakness, that is to say if he is selected. Robie Deans may just go for James O'Connor. The one thing the australians have are a whole host of interchangeable players, or utility value if you want to be honest. Most of their players can slot into anyone of two of three positions and there for any lack of depth they may have is countered by the flexibility Deans has at his disposal.

Warren gatland has had a similar period in the last 18 months where his team has been built around some young stars, a young inspirational captain and a solid pack. For me the excitment that would be seen between these two back lines is what will make this series the most entertaining and exciting to watch.

Will Wales use more conservative methods like they did against France, and kick for territory, or will they run the ball at every opportunity, Australia will certainly do that.

[b]My personal view is Wales can come away with a win on Australian soil, they'll have to be in top form though, in 24 matches against the SH giantsaway from home, they have only managed one win, and that was in 1969.

Actually, I think you have forgotten that we beat Australia in thier own back yard in the 1987 3/4 playoff in the first world cup. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:56 am

Taylorman wrote:

I've still gone 3-0 to Oz. No idea why...gut feel I suppose. A 3 test series win by a NH side over a SH side must be pretty rare and Oz have home advantage all 3.

France is the only NH team to have won series in the SH.

They won a two test series vs SA in 1993
They won a two test series vs Australia in 1972
They won a two test seires vs New Zealand in 1994.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:57 am

That game was in Rutorua I beleive, not in Australia.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:58 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Actually, I think you have forgotten that we beat Australia in thier own back yard in the 1987 3/4 playoff in the first world cup. Yahoo

My apologies young sir, I looked at away test matches and ignored the RWC.

Last edited by biltongbek on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:58 am

Nah, Australia played all their games in Australia for that world cup.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:00 am

biltongbek wrote:My apologies young sir, I looked at away test matches and ignored the RWC.

Dont worry about it young sir. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:02 am

Taken from espnscrum.com

Rugby World Cup - Rotorua, 18 June 1987, 15:00 local, 03:00 GMT
Australia (15) 21 - 22 (13) Wales (FT)

The match was indeed in New Zealand.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:03 am

biltongbek wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

France is the only NH team to have won series in the SH.

They won a two test series vs SA in 1993
They won a two test series vs Australia in 1972
They won a two test seires vs New Zealand in 1994.

France won another 2 test series recently by points differential.
England won a one off in 73 here after losing all the non test matches.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:11 am

biltongbek wrote:Taken from espnscrum.com

Yeah well, it was still away from home. Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:12 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Laugh Kudo's mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:18 am

biltongbek wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Laugh Kudo's mate.

thumbsup I still remember that game, my old man letting me watch it, he woke me up early in the morning at about 2/3 o'clock, I was only about 10 or 11 years old, we watched together as Paul Thorburn kicked two beautiful pens from the touch line to beat 14 man Australia who had a player sent off. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:24 am

2-1 to Australia for me

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:25 am

I have been boring and gone for the same as Ireland against the AB's. 2-1 to the Aussies.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

I think we'll get beaten well in one, another loss in a tight one where we just come up short and a close win, not necessarily in that order Very Happy Believe!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:33 am

I think that Wales and Australia will be a decider. Wales will win one of the first two tests Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:14 am

How about the 0-1 Draw test series win in wales favour?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

Sorry Maes, missed that one, will fix it now.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:22 am

Or the 0-0 !!
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

Ok, bit rash I know, but I reckon if Wales win the first test they'll win all of them. Now, I know that the Welsh, en masse every year and without exception Wink, believe that every team they produce is the best in the multiverse since the Big Bang, but this lot really are good.

So I'm chancing it a bit and saying 3-0 Wales.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:50 am

Cowshot Shocked Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:52 am

Cowshot wrote:Ok, bit rash I know, but I reckon if Wales win the first test they'll win all of them. Now, I know that the Welsh, en masse every year and without exception Wink, believe that every team they produce is the best in the multiverse since the Big Bang, but this lot really are good.

So I'm chancing it a bit and saying 3-0 Wales.

clap you know it make sense Rodney kiss
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:I can see them nicking one game, but ultimately losing the series.

Same here. I've gone for a 2 - 1 series win to the Wallabies.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 22 Mar 2012, 10:59 am

biltongbek wrote:It is not a common occurence, but it does happen. roughly 4% of all test matches end in draws.

so what are the odds in advance on a 0-0 drawn series? 64/1000000? = 1 in every 15,000 3 match series!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:05 am

Yep! Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by jay_welsh Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

I think we'll win one game, which in all honesty will probably be the last one. If Wales are going into the final game with honours even however, I do believe we can pull off a 2-1 series victory. Still, I think it'll probably end up 2-1 to Australia.

jay_welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:21 am

jay_welsh wrote:I think we'll win one game, which in all honesty will probably be the last one. If Wales are going into the final game with honours even however, I do believe we can pull off a 2-1 series victory. Still, I think it'll probably end up 2-1 to Australia.

Exactly my feeling, hopefully we can go out there with a pretty strong squad, its always dissapointing when you see 4-5 of your main players unavailable. Fingers crossed they can all get through the last half of the season with their clubs ready for the most important SH tour in a long time.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

Billy: I honestly think this Welsh sides have the ability and much more important the belief that they can. The manner of their win over England seemed very significant to me and something I have not associated with any post-pro Welsh side until this one.

Now, I know the Aussies are some of the smartest game players on the planet and you've got to think they'll find ways to get in behind those Welsh backs and get them turning - or something. The English game showed that a determined defence can slow that attack down. But this is a strong Welsh pack and a better side than the English one that went out last year. I think they can do it.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

As I recall it, the only person to kick in behind the Welsh defence all tournament was Owen Farrell. Talk about missing a trick.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:As I recall it, the only person to kick in behind the Welsh defence all tournament was Owen Farrell. Talk about missing a trick.
He was then floored by North resulting in turnover ball to Wales. Not the best tactic.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

If Wales win the first test - a 2 - 1 or even 3 - 0 series win

If Wales lose the first test - 1 - 2 winning the 3rd or 3 - 0 series loss.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Laugh Kudo's mate.

thumbsup I still remember that game, my old man letting me watch it, he woke me up early in the morning at about 2/3 o'clock, I was only about 10 or 11 years old, we watched together as Paul Thorburn kicked two beautiful pens from the touch line to beat 14 man Australia who had a player sent off. Ale

I remember it well...Before the match the Ozzies said they might not get to Rotorua because of passport troubles. The interviewer was quick and said wouldnt they be the same passports you would have used at Eden Park!.

It was actually Thorburns conversion from the extreme left touchline in the last seconds that won the match. Brilliant ending and capped off a horrible cup for Oz who were actually favourites for 87 with France and Wales pipping them at the very end in the semi as well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:37 pm

I am pretty confident that Wales will do the best in a long time out in Oz. They are a good side playing a good brand of rugby and they have players who can fill in spots should injuries occur...

Ozzies are an exciting team at the moment so I expect it to be as tough as ever down there.

Lets hope there is another change of the form book in Wales's favour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

I think it'll be 2-1 to Australia. But a win in the southern hemisphere will be another step forward for Gatlands men.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I think it'll be 2-1 to Australia. But a win in the southern hemisphere will be another step forward for Gatlands men.
A win by any of the home nations would be big steps. Lets hope.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:47 pm

3-0 to Australia, I think a lot of Welsh players will be rested after the World Cup, they didn't really have a proper off season last year.

Quite a few of them are starting to break down now and quite a few will probably need operations.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:19 pm

AlynDavies wrote:3-0 to Australia, I think a lot of Welsh players will be rested after the World Cup, they didn't really have a proper off season last year.

Quite a few of them are starting to break down now and quite a few will probably need operations.
AD, that's interesting that you think a number of Welsh players will be rested - I'd assume the same of Australia tbh, and I imagine that they'll be using the summer tour to try a few things before the start of the Rugby Championship (expanded Tri-Nations). If I was Gatland, I'd be tempted to gamble and take my strongest team now to try and get an SH scalp - that would do wonders for the Welsh psyche, I believe

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:27 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:3-0 to Australia, I think a lot of Welsh players will be rested after the World Cup, they didn't really have a proper off season last year.

AD, that's interesting that you think a number of Welsh players will be rested - I'd assume the same of Australia tbh, and I imagine that they'll be using the summer tour to try a few things before the start of the Rugby Championship (expanded Tri-Nations). If I was Gatland, I'd be tempted to gamble and take my strongest team now to try and get an SH scalp - that would do wonders for the Welsh psyche, I believe

I think most people in Wales think Gatland will be looking to take a first choice selection and not rest anyone who isnt injured. Most Welsh players have not played in all of the 17 games the team played over the last 12 months. The current squad is a large one.

I am sure Gatland knows how technically it is important to Wales's next RWC prospects to try and get a win or two out of this series.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

maes, season finishes, rest everyone for a week doing nothing, Poland for a week of sharp short shock, then off to Oz (or something similar)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

Most of the players will have finished all rugby by the beggining of May as well, only the French based ones who will face a longer season. So they have a good month of recuperation and conditioning before the flight south. I think Gatlands already come out and said he is taking the strongest squad possible. There maybe a couple of players out but we can absorbe that now and Oz are bound to have similar injury issues. This could be a cracking little series, I think Wales can really send a message out by winning the series and as others have said if they get on a roll out there then it could be very very good. If they can recapture the excitement of the world cup in the squad tehn anything is possible. Pocock vs Warburton if both are fit will be a fantastic head to head. North and Cuthbert smashing into that Aussie midfield just makes my mouth water.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:As I recall it, the only person to kick in behind the Welsh defence all tournament was Owen Farrell. Talk about missing a trick.
He was then floored by North resulting in turnover ball to Wales. Not the best tactic.

He was floored by North, but it wasn't turned over, England attacked for several more phases and advanced near half the pitch till he tried the chip again and Halfpenny caught and marked it on his 5m line.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Im hoping Gatland takes a full strenght team - and there are not many injuries.

For Wales to progress this year they HAVE to win one of the games down under (If they don't, beating NZ and Aus at home might satisfy)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

niwatts wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

He was floored by North, but it wasn't turned over, England attacked for several more phases and advanced near half the pitch till he tried the chip again and Halfpenny caught and marked it on his 5m line.

Apologies my mistake I remembered it incorrectly.

Still we didn't concede a try.

Though I imagine the Wallabies will offer much more of an attacking threat.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:59 pm

aus19- wales23
aus22- wales16
aus18- wales22

2-1 win for wales,if adam jones is injured 2-1 win for australia. thumbsup

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next