The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland gets Lions job

+41
mr-bryns-attitude
mystiroakey
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
SecretFly
Smirnoffpriest
HERSH
pontylad
propdavid_london
funnyExiledScot
Comfort
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Rava
munkian
RubyGuby
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
Huwball
johnpartle
alcoombe
monwy
Knowsit17
EnglishReign
Norfolklass
Taffineastbourne
wales606
Croyman
offload
Morgannwg
gelodge
Sin é
Cymroglan
asoreleftshoulder
eirebilly
thebluesmancometh
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
emack2
BigTrevsbigmac
Shifty
EngInAuck
maestegmafia
45 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Gatland gets Lions job - Page 3 Empty Gatland gets Lions job

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:33 am

First topic message reminder :

It is understood that Gatland, who has guided Wales to the Six Nations Grand Slam this season, has been offered the job following an interview for the position in London on Wednesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/9165345/Wales-coach-Warren-Gatland-offered-Lions-job-for-2013.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Gatland gets Lions job - Page 3 Empty Re: Gatland gets Lions job

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

SecretFly wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:but the other nations will at least have their ( head coaches ) still in charge of their countrys team.

You make that sound so positive, majestic. From where I'm sitting (in Ireland) it's almost depressing Wink
Precisely, pls take Robinson, Mr Gatland, he'd be a great forwards coach, backs coach, restart coach, kicking coach water boy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:25 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:With Gatland getting the Lions job, just how will it affect, the Lions, and Wales in general.

With Gatland being incharge surely he will want the best Welsh player/s to play for the lions!!

So how many of the Welsh squad right now will be left for the Wales 6ns squad?

Surley Gatland will want the best player/s from all nations not just Wales, but the other nations will atleast have their ( head coaches ) still in charge of their countrys team.

It will be intersting to see how 2013 6ns will play out for Wales, more than any other team.

Can you explain this again, it makes little sense?

Let me try and explain. Gatland has taken charge of the Lions for next year right.?

So will he be getting the Lions team together before the 6ns, or after. If it is (BEFORE) the 6ns they surely he (GATLAND) WILL WANT TO TAKE WITH HIM, on the Lions tour the BEST players that Wales have, WHICH HAS SOME ONE POINTED OUT THE OTHER DAY IS THE SAME TEAM THAT WON THE GRAND SLAM.

So what effect will that have the Welsh team FOR THE 6ns?.

Is that better for you maes? thumbsup

The bit I highlighted still doesn't make much sense. But I get your sentiment.

The Lions players are selected after the six nations, a preliminary squad will be selected during or just after, the final selection at least a month after.

Players will be allowed to play for their countries and for their clubs until the tour.

Warren Gatland will not be coaching Wales for the six nations, it is likely that all the other coaches will and most likely that Rob Howley will be in charge.

You are asking, (I THINK), will at have an effect on Wales?

We dont know yet do we. Probably, though it could be tangible how much effect it will have as I am sure he will still be readily consulting on the Welsh team throughout.

I personally see it positive for the future of Welsh rugby for us to give our other coaches a chance at experiencing running the team, good or the future, when we need one to step up.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:30 pm

since the players will primarily be selected from next years 6Ns, its important that the coach gets to see them playing against each other, which would not be possible if they were coaching a team.

Wasps fell apart when Geech was trying to do two jobs.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:41 pm

Sin é wrote:since the players will primarily be selected from next years 6Ns, its important that the coach gets to see them playing against each other, which would not be possible if they were coaching a team.

Wasps fell apart when Geech was trying to do two jobs.

Hense the Tour Manager Andy Irvine has already said that the coach will be assuming his Lions duties nine months above. Gatland would hand over control to other Welsh coaches after the AIs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm

I'd say players will have a good shot at selection based not on how they play each other again in the 6N but on how they perform this very summer in their tours. Most especially, the pressure will be on the Welsh players to prove the point that all The Lions will need is a hefty selection of them and a few extras from the other nations to do the mid-week stuff.

If they make Australia look weak and come home with at least two wins then I think they'll be able to relax a bit until the new year and build up gradually again in the knowledge that Gatland won't have forgotten them.

Lose all three Australian tests and I don't think 6N efforts next year will make too much of an impact on selections....at that stage it'll be a rough cut of the Nations and back to hope-for-the-best.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:50 pm

Aye Fly you made a good call there.

Same goes for Irish and English to prove a few places down under too. An Irish win over the ABs would be huge as would an English win over the Bok.

Possibly more so than a Welsh win in Oz.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm

sweet, i wouldnt be happy if i was welsh tho, to much confliction

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:00 pm

mystiroakey wrote:sweet, i wouldnt be happy if i was welsh tho, to much confliction

I thought the team sheet spoke Harmony, that is certainly what has been conveyed on TV...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

this group of welsh players are professional,they know they have to perform to be selected,don't confuse them with previous eras.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Aye Fly you made a good call there.

Same goes for Irish and English to prove a few places down under too. An Irish win over the ABs would be huge as would an English win over the Bok.

Don't know really. Wales were 4th in the 2009 6Ns and the Lions ended up with quite a few Welsh players and the Welsh coaching staff.

Wasps were very poor as well under geech & edwards.

edit: the breakdown of the composition of the Lions was: 14 Irish; 13 Welsh; 8 English; 2 Scots.

welsh didn't do too bad considering they were 4th in the 6Ns Whistle
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:19 pm

Sin é wrote:

Don't know really. Wales were 4th in the 2009 6Ns and the Lions ended up with quite a few Welsh players and the Welsh coaching staff.

edit: the breakdown of the composition of the Lions was: 14 Irish; 13 Welsh; 8 English; 2 Scots.

Was that the championship where a kick that fell a foot short of the bar decided the difference between second, 4th and you winning a grandslam.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Was that the championship where a kick that fell a foot short of the bar decided the difference between second, 4th and you winning a grandslam.

Quite a number of those last second deciders this year too Maesteg. Grandslams are hard to come by not because you have to be so much better than your opponents but because you have to often drag yourself in on the last throw of a dice.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Quite a number of those last second deciders this year too Maesteg. Grandslams are hard to come by not because you have to be so much better than your opponents but because you have to often drag yourself in on the last throw of a dice.

As i said there may be a great mix, this summers tours will surely throw up a few well tested players for contention.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:31 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Yep, the coach should have told Gav the Chav to take the kick.

and as fly said, wales had their fair share of 'luck' this year winning close games.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm

Welsh players have a lot to lose and a lot to gain, depending on how they perform from here on in. Gatland knows them, knows how they respond to him, has built up a much needed rapport with them, is assured that they will react to his training in the way he requires. That's a lot of already suitcased assurance IF they keep up the standards shown in the last year.

BUT........... that's them. Gatland I think will have his own agenda operating during The Lions tour. Some of the agenda might correspond to what we might assume to be his first goal (winning the series) but other aspects I think might surprise some people.

One: He'll certainly want to win - and will select and passionately drive himself and others to achieve that end.

Two: I think he'll have one eye on home when doing so. He'll eventually want to return home to be given a shot at his National team. Winning with the Lions will be another few lines on his already impressive CV.

Three: In order to emphasise HIS role both in Wales and The Lions, I think he'll try to show the world he can turn any side (any selection of players) into a carbon copy of Wales. I think he might surprise many of us with the choices he makes and could take a sizeable crop of rookies and also give them quality time in actual tests. So as we're all waiting for our favourites to be named, with his knowing half-smile Gatland might give us little of what we might expect.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

As i said there may be a great mix, this summers tours will surely throw up a few well tested players for contention.

Shane Williams got on the last tour on reputation - he was in very poor form and he got so many chances to redeem himself.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm

Sin é wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Shane Williams got on the last tour on reputation - he was in very poor form and he got so many chances to redeem himself.

Didnt he score two tries for the Lions?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:45 pm

[quote="SecretFly"]

One: He'll certainly want to win - and will select and passionately drive himself and others to achieve that end.

I think every coach wants to win. They don't always get it right though.

Two: I think he'll have one eye on home when doing so. He'll eventually want to return home to be given a shot at his National team. Winning with the Lions will be another few lines on his already impressive CV.
I think a win with wales in the SH would be first thing on his list. He hasn't done that yet.

Three: In order to emphasise HIS role both in Wales and The Lions, I think he'll try to show the world he can turn any side (any selection of players) into a carbon copy of Wales. I think he might surprise many of us with the choices he makes and could take a sizeable crop of rookies and also give them quality time in actual tests. So as we're all waiting for our favourites to be named, with his knowing half-smile Gatland might give us little of what we might expect.

Don't agree with that. A few old hands who know what a Lions tour is about (like Simon shaw) will be required to maintain the continuity of the Lions so expect to see at least half a dozen+ of those who were on the last Lions to be on this one.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:04 am

Sin é wrote:
I think every coach wants to win. They don't always get it right though.
True and true - obviously. My point is about the hunger to win and not letting personal goals distract. Gatland breathes intent, in his eyes, his stiff jaw, his barely concealed fury. No, not all coaches have that - Geech hadn't.

I think a win with wales in the SH would be first thing on his list. He hasn't done that yet.
The Wales show will come before The Lions one - the Lions one is a more difficult show as it's a long ponderous one with many variants that are forced into close proximity and don't always work. The history of the Lions itself details how tough a job it is. Nope, I think Gatland will want it all - Wales to win, Wales to possibly win more than one...and then The Lions to win them all.

Don't agree with that. A few old hands who know what a Lions tour is about (like Simon shaw) will be required to maintain the continuity of the Lions so expect to see at least half a dozen+ of those who were on the last Lions to be on this one.

What is The Lions tour about? Oh please don't tell me it's about British and Irish people bonding and poolside chats and brotherly love and the spirit of Geech? Not you Sin é.

The Lions is about winning, and winning on the terms of the man in charge. It always has been and always will be an ego trip for the man in charge. Yep, even cute Geech has an ego, and enjoys that he's known as Mr. Lions Tour. Gatland will want to put his scent on the Lions and I think he'll pick more unusuals than people will be suspecting.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:06 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

He did. In the last test. He only missed out on one game in the whole series. That was 4 starts, 3 sub appearances as a dirt tracker. He made the bench for the 2nd Test, still did not score and then started the final test and scored his 2 tries.

No other player got the chances he got to prove himself. No other player took as long to prove himself either.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:16 am

SecretFly wrote:
What is The Lions tour about? Oh please don't tell me it's about British and Irish people bonding and poolside chats and brotherly love and the spirit of Geech? Not you Sin é.

The Lions is about winning, and winning on the terms of the man in charge. It always has been and always will be an ego trip for the man in charge. Yep, even cute Geech has an ego, and enjoys that he's known as Mr. Lions Tour. Gatland will want to put his scent on the Lions and I think he'll pick more unusuals than people will be suspecting.

The Lions is about making money. Thats the important thing. The don't worry about who wins. Phil Vickery wouldn't have been a starter in the last Lions if that was the case (or at least whipped off much more quickly than he was). Its a money spinner for the unions and the players like it.

I don't rate Geech. He let Wasps go to the dogs. And he hasn't been doing great at Bath either. He is living on his Lions reputation (which was probably down to Jim Telfor in the first place).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:37 am

Yes, well it makes money and the pools always look nice but I still don't think Gatland (as main man this time) will let the chums and gin and tonic chaps lead from the front this time. I think it'll be a more clinical strike force - he's learned that his best image is as a hard but fair taskmaster. Drinks will be frowned upon if even tolerated at all. I still suspect a little bit of a revolution Sin é. And I might like it too.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:48 am

SecretFly wrote:Yes, well it makes money and the pools always look nice but I still don't think Gatland (as main man this time) will let the chums and gin and tonic chaps lead from the front this time. I think it'll be a more clinical strike force - he's learned that his best image is as a hard but fair taskmaster. Drinks will be frowned upon if even tolerated at all. I still suspect a little bit of a revolution Sin é. And I might like it too.

Don't think there was much boozing on the last Lions. Most players at that level are model pros anyway and fierce competitive. Just because one or two from welsh & english camps have a bit of a wild reputation means nothing. They probably won make the squad anyway.

I don't understand this thing about what his image is (its not relevant), though the money making Lions will want him to shed a few tears etc. when handing out the jerseys (this is going to be funny) thumbsup The Aussies will thrash him anyway - thats what they do particularly to a Kiwi.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:09 am

'Image' is a big part of the deal in coaching - most especially at International level. It doesn't win games of course but it sets the tone for the team they coach and the media who encircle it. Image is central in a game you say is about money. Henry was image, Johnson was image, Lievremont was image, his predecessor Laporte was image. Not relevant when games are happening but certainly relevant to the teams they choose and how we react to them.

But anyway...you see Gatland as a gurning fool who'll get his head handed to him by the Aussies. So be it, Sin é. Night.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:20 am

I don't think Gatland is a fool, I just don't like his style. Wink

The Lions was worth £1m to each of the unions (and they have to do very little other than let someone select their players). None of the country's own individual tours to the SH would generate anything like that. They would probably be loss making more than anything else.

If there were no English players selected, they would lose a packet because the English public/media wouldn't be that interested and would not be touring or buying Lions jerseys.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:39 am

Sin é wrote:I don't think Gatland is a fool, I just don't like his style. Wink

If there were no English players selected, they would lose a packet because the English public/media wouldn't be that interested and would not be touring or buying Lions jerseys.

Now thats interesting. I'm assuming sky tv rights as well would be impacted here so does the pressure go on Gatland to select an English player where the choice is marginal?

Now that would be a shame...corporate profit is one of the selectors... censored

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:49 am

Realistically, it's obviously a factor. Income is a big deal and England is the largest potential audience & market.

However, no coach is going to risk being clobbered (particularly by the Aussies) by choosing on natinality alone.

THe Summer tours will probably be the most significant factor in selection - personally, I reckon a number of ENglish players are good enough to make the cut anywaqy and if they continue to develop as they have been, it shouldn't cause him a major headache.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:04 am

Taylorman wrote:
Sin é wrote:I don't think Gatland is a fool, I just don't like his style. Wink

Now thats interesting. I'm assuming sky tv rights as well would be impacted here so does the pressure go on Gatland to select an English player where the choice is marginal?

Now that would be a shame...corporate profit is one of the selectors... censored

Probably more of an issue will be the pressure to select Welsh players. Gatland, like all coaches, will be going out to win. He'll be selecting based on the game plan he wants to play. The isue for him is going to be manageing expections. Not only those of the players (those of his own team who might expect to get in, but those of the opposition who may think he's biased against them), but also the fans and the media. I think this is the hardest part of Lions tour, and it ultimately undid both Graham Henry and Clive Woodward (not neccesarily in terms of results, but in terms of how we view them and their Lions tours).

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:46 am

What happened to just select the best group of players and combinations?

Is that not what the Lions tour is supposed to be about?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:01 am

It is, but - politics!

In theory, you could just pick the best, but in reality, there has to be representation from all the countries.

Still, I can't see that as a problem tbh - all the sides have some decent players.

Examples, England; Cole, Corbs, Parling, Croft, Farrell, Tuilagi, Foden. Wales; Adam Jones, Gethin, Rees, Warburton, Lydiate, Faletau, Roberts, JD2, North. Scotland; Ritchie Gray, Denton, Rennie. Ireland; POC, Ryan, O'Brien, Ferris, Sexton, Bowe, Kearney

His only issue may be dealing with disappointed Welsh players who don't make the cut when it's a 50/50.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:05 am

As a South African I understand full well that politics, but that to me is just sad.

Here you have the most unique setup of rugby touring and you tell me politics interfere with that.

At least gatland should be hinest enough then to publically admit his selection criteria and the method to his reasoning, this way there is at an understanding of how we will select his team.

At the end of the day it should be about the rugby. Well Hopefully.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:58 am

wickedwasp wrote:It is, but - politics!

In theory, you could just pick the best, but in reality, there has to be representation from all the countries.

Still, I can't see that as a problem tbh - all the sides have some decent players.

Examples, England; Cole, Corbs, Parling, Croft, Farrell, Tuilagi, Foden. Wales; Adam Jones, Gethin, Rees, Warburton, Lydiate, Faletau, Roberts, JD2, North. Scotland; Ritchie Gray, Denton, Rennie. Ireland; POC, Ryan, O'Brien, Ferris, Sexton, Bowe, Kearney

His only issue may be dealing with disappointed Welsh players who don't make the cut when it's a 50/50.

+1

Look at Wales this time last year & this year. It is a long time in rugby & to even start naming Lions teams & squads now is too soon. It should be treated for what it is a bit of fun & discussion.

On a different note getting some creativity in The Lions backs will be a challenge as there was very little on show this 6 nations & we will need more than bludgeons to beat the Aussies.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 27 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

biltongbek wrote:What happened to just select the best group of players and combinations?

Most coaches cant even manage that when its just their own side they are selecting for

I dont believe there should be token players in the squad. Its inveitable that any coach will have a natural bias toward players he knows how to handle and who know the systems he will want to play. The Welsh players are in the welsh side because they are the type of players Gatland wants, hes unlikley to radicaly change the way his Lions team plays and suddenly decide that the 12 should be small and nimble for example.

I wouldnt see it as a conspiracy or somehow unfair if the squad were to be Welsh heavy. I would still see it as Gatland picking the squad/sides that he feels are best equipped to execute his gameplan effectively.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 8:41 am

Gatland is likely to be surrounded by two Englishman and managed by a Scotsman with Ireland having some of the lions most experienced players like O'Driscol, O'Connell and Heaslip from the last tour.

I would say that Gats is most likely to build a team around a core he likes. He will find his Halfbacks, Hooker and number eight and the rest will follow.

It is who makes those positions that will determin the side.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:12 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Come on, Doh my gran could of scored those 2 trys running with her zimmer frame. Rolling Eyes

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Come on, Doh my gran could of scored those 2 trys running with her zimmer frame. Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure, Ugo Monye couldn't finish similar moves and he was first choice for England that year Doh

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

He's been offered it, but dies anybody know if he's accepted? May have done the blond girl in the second series of the apprentice, apply, be good enough to get it only to turn it down if offered. What a way to cement your standing at the top of the NH coaching tree.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:13 pm

Why would Gats say no? He has the backing of the players and the union along with a fair few fans, he need not worry about grudges when he comes back to Cardiff. He's been on one already and has the opportunity to lead another.

Not to mention a successful tour Down Under would do his chances of the All Blacks post after 2015 no harm whatsoever, Henry led an unsuccessful one and was NZ coach for eight dominant years afterwards.

Who would or ever has said no to the Lions helm come to think of it?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm

From The Telegraph

"The negotiations between the Welsh Rugby Union and the British and Irish Lions board over the appointment of Warren Gatland as head coach for next year’s tour of Australia look set to centre upon the New Zealander’s availability for Wales’ autumn internationals."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/9168158/Warren-Gatland-and-British-Lions-face-fight-over-autumn-international-Tests.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

Gatland’s final Test in charge, ironically against Australia, would be on December 1 – before leaving to concentrate solely on his Lions sabbatical for an intense six-month period.

The counter-argument from the Lions is that Gatland would not be watching the other home nations during the November internationals.

But he will have all the relevant video analysis at his disposal and independently witnessing the 2013 Six Nations tournament and Heineken Cup matches should tell Gatland all he needs to know about British and Irish players.

Six months should be adequate time for him to spend plotting the downfall of the Aussies, with the WRU having already indicated they are willing to release him for next year’s Six Nations.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/03/27/comment-welsh-interests-must-come-first-in-warren-gatland-lions-deal-91466-30628473/#ixzz1qM5VJGMm

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:40 pm

Why would he need to be away from the Welsh setup for a year. The 2012 AI's are far too soon to judge players form when the Lions tour is 8 months later.
It's understandable that he will be unavailable for the 6N as he needs to be impartial and it's then he will be having a closer look at potential Lions.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Why would he need to be away from the Welsh setup for a year. The 2012 AI's are far too soon to judge players form when the Lions tour is 8 months later.
It's understandable that he will be unavailable for the 6N as he needs to be impartial and it's then he will be having a closer look at potential Lions.

Agreed. It may well be the bargaining point on whether he decides to accept the offer or not.

In the Telegraph article above it says how from the AI's he can see whatever he needs too on Video footage, same can be said for the Six Nations. McGeechan was a full time head coach of Northampton RFC when the Lions last won.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:54 pm

The Welsh Rugby Union have already given Gatland their blessing for him to take up the position — even though he does not have a break clause in his contract — and will ask Gatland’s assistants Rob Howley and Robin McBryde to lead Wales on an interim basis next year.
-----------------------------

I presumed he had a clause in his contract and that's why he decided to stay on.
Looks like that was a load of nonsense then.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:15 pm

The clause in his contract was three months and that was to spend time home in NZ where he still lives with his family

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3