The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland gets Lions job

+41
mr-bryns-attitude
mystiroakey
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
SecretFly
Smirnoffpriest
HERSH
pontylad
propdavid_london
funnyExiledScot
Comfort
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Rava
munkian
RubyGuby
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
Huwball
johnpartle
alcoombe
monwy
Knowsit17
EnglishReign
Norfolklass
Taffineastbourne
wales606
Croyman
offload
Morgannwg
gelodge
Sin é
Cymroglan
asoreleftshoulder
eirebilly
thebluesmancometh
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
emack2
BigTrevsbigmac
Shifty
EngInAuck
maestegmafia
45 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gatland gets Lions job - Page 2 Empty Gatland gets Lions job

Post by maestegmafia Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

It is understood that Gatland, who has guided Wales to the Six Nations Grand Slam this season, has been offered the job following an interview for the position in London on Wednesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/9165345/Wales-coach-Warren-Gatland-offered-Lions-job-for-2013.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Gatland gets Lions job - Page 2 Empty Re: Gatland gets Lions job

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:08 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
I understand your point but Gatts had barely 3 months from taking over Wales to the start of the 6Ns & very little time with his squad of players so one can fairly assume he had little influence other than motivational to mould a team to his liking.
He would have had time to change things around thereafter & as I said previously it went very flat for Wales during this period.

Bigmac, that is often all that is required. When you look at the Springboks of 1995. Kitch Christie had 3 months with the players when he started coaching them for the world cup. Francois Pienaar said last year he believes a three month period is all that is required for a coach to prepare a team for a tournament. I think it helps to focus the squad and short term goals are often much easier to focus on that longterm sustainability.

Big Trev if you can make that assumption you can see why I think that Lancaster had little to do with England coming second in this years six nations.

Gatland in 08 changed the Welsh defence, and encouraged a more conservative game plan. Pretty much what Andy Farrell just did for England. The difference was Wales still manufactured and scored plenty of tries.

Was it Gatland or Edwards though?

It still doesn't explain what happened thereafter when he had more time with the squad & the subsequent & continued downturn. So much so there were murmurings about the direction of the national team culminating in a try drought in the 2011 6 nations.

This continued until a key set of young players happened to come through at the same time last year.

Lots of injuries were the main issue.

Can't blame that on a coach. Strengthened up our squad massively by capping the back up players. Now we are in good stead for the future.

Anyhow you are diverging the thread away from its theme.

I take it you don't rate Gatland as you are trying to find a number of reasons that might show him to be a poor coach?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:18 pm

eirebilly wrote:So who will oversee the 6N for Wales if Gatland doesnt?

There are a few messages on my phone this weekend that I haven't checked yet Whistle Get back to you later thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

There are a few messages on my phone this weekend that I haven't checked yet Whistle Get back to you later thumbsup

Gatland gets Lions job - Page 2 438_lol
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:47 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

Could be for the England job...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 pm

So what you saying, I'm not in contention for the Lions Whistle

I'm gonna check the messages, one's from Cardiff and one from London so you never know - Give me a few minutes thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 pm

I think Gatland should stick with Wales. The job of Lions coach should go to Eddie O'Sullivan. He's looking for work at the minute Run
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:18 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Was it Gatland or Edwards though?

Does it matter? Hell have Edwards on his staff anyway so long as the Irish dont have a problem with him.

The only thing that couldve stood between Gatland and the Lions job was his availability. They had talked about wanting someone fulltime in the role for a year, we'll have atpo wait and see what the deal with Gatland is and how that will affect Wales.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:07 pm

As a welsh fan, im pretty bitter and disappointed Gatlandsbeen offered the role to be honest.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Comfort wrote:As a welsh fan, im pretty bitter

You and the rest of them

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

You and the rest of them
That's not true at all.

Some are not happy others welcome it as it has benefits:

1. Gatland and Edwards improve their experience

2. Howley and McBride, the likely coaches to assume leading Wales to hopefully a second consecutive GS in 2013 will gain huge amounts of experience at the helm.

In my and many other opinion it is very good for welsh rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:25 pm

I am also bitter about it, they could have given me the job. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:27 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

You and the rest of them
That's not true at all.

Some are not happy others welcome it as it has benefits:

1. Gatland and Edwards improve their experience

2. Howley and McBride, the likely coaches to assume leading Wales to hopefully a second consecutive GS in 2013 will gain huge amounts of experience at the helm.

In my and many other opinion it is very good for welsh rugby.

I meant it in a general sense Maest.

If he hadnt got the job I think there would be a lot more negative comments and slating of whoever did get the post.

Lets wait and see what the balance is between his commitments to the Lions and Wales are beofre worrying too much about the damage to either job being done to its fullest potential, but I suspect one will suffer.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Pete, you are right, there would have been moaning and complaints either way, and it makes sense to wait for the details and Gat's commitments to be released before making our minds up.

But in the meantime.....

bah

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:33 pm

Peter

Of course there would be questioning anyone else in the job, who is worthy? Robinson, Deccie or Lancaster. After this tourny it was only ever going to one man, infact I think his name was on the job before the world cup.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Gatland is the right choice. There isn't really a sensible alternative. He knows the players, coaches what will surely be the backbone of the squad, is successful (and has been in several posts during his career) and has experience with the Lions previously.

No brainer.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Peter

Of course there would be questioning anyone else in the job, who is worthy? Robinson, Deccie or Lancaster. After this tourny it was only ever going to one man, infact I think his name was on the job before the world cup.

Actually, now you mention it, Robinson would be a superb appointment. He should be appointed immediately and taken away from Scottish rugby. He should have the whole year off prior, and in fact I'd give him a year or two off afterwards, just to recover.

You know it makes sense. He's coached a World Cup winning side you know. He's a winner. He always wins things and installs a winning mentality. Winner.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:37 am

So, what are the chances that the Lions squad will be exposed to a rigorous training regimen and a little trip to Poland.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 am

propdavid_london wrote:So, what are the chances that the Lions squad will be exposed to a rigorous training regimen and a little trip to Poland.

Highly unlikely. They will all be knackered after a tough season, especially the teams that make the knockouts of the various tournaments.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:48 am

Sin é wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:So, what are the chances that the Lions squad will be exposed to a rigorous training regimen and a little trip to Poland.

Highly unlikely. They will all be knackered after a tough season, especially the teams that make the knockouts of the various tournaments.

Well since the Lions will mostly be Welsh players the club tournament knockouts wont be an issue.

Gatland took his chaps off there pre 6 nations when they hadnt had a proper break for 18 months.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:50 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Gatland is the right choice. There isn't really a sensible alternative. He knows the players, coaches what will surely be the backbone of the squad, is successful (and has been in several posts during his career) and has experience with the Lions previously.

No brainer.

He is a big mouth though and is always putting his foot in it. Hate the way he carries on about refs. I wonder has he apologised to Alain Rolland yet? (said he would if he got the warburton decision correctly).

He also has a grudge against the Irish and he is a bitter, bitter man. Hopefully that means there will be few Irish players on it (though if BOD wants to go, I hope he makes it).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:54 am

Sin é wrote:

Well since the Lions will mostly be Welsh players the club tournament knockouts wont be an issue.

Gatland took his chaps off there pre 6 nations when they hadnt had a proper break for 18 months.

Very Happy

the welsh players were very unfit though. A former Irish fitness coach who went to the Ospreys said about 2 years ago that the Welsh players were at about 80% the fitness levels of the Irish players.

It should also be said that the Irish team under Eddie O'Sullivan used to go to Spala every year (2003-2007) until the players turned completely against it. Munster sent their academy there a couple of years ago and they haven't been back since! Very Happy

Chances are the welsh players will eventually revolt.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 am

Gatland -yes from the Lions point of view he is the right man.

The Lions -yes I love them .It's great to make all the other nations wear red-shirts and cheer the same team for once .

From a Welsh point of view the official line is that it develops Gatland further and Rob Howley and the others left in charge of Wales also gain valuable experience .

Graham Henry lost the trust of some of the Welsh players when he did it of course so there is the potential for a banana skin . Marginally for Wales sake I would perhaps prefer the coach to concentrate on one job and that's getting us ready for the next World cup , however I can't see how Gatland could be held back from it though so I accept the decision.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:57 am

Sin é wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Gatland is the right choice. There isn't really a sensible alternative. He knows the players, coaches what will surely be the backbone of the squad, is successful (and has been in several posts during his career) and has experience with the Lions previously.

No brainer.

He is a big mouth though and is always putting his foot in it. Hate the way he carries on about refs. I wonder has he apologised to Alain Rolland yet? (said he would if he got the warburton decision correctly).

He also has a grudge against the Irish and he is a bitter, bitter man. Hopefully that means there will be few Irish players on it (though if BOD wants to go, I hope he makes it).

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:07 am

munkian wrote:
Sin é wrote:

No brainer.

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle Shocked

If I was the Wales coach (who had not had his contract renewed by Ireland), I hope that I'd be able to keep my mouth shut about it in public and not try and stir up trouble for my players (i.e., his statement that the Welsh players hated the Irish players).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 am

He didn't say that exactly and it was ages ago. We've beaten you 3 times on the bounce since then anyway, move on sweetie kiss
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:39 am

munkian wrote:He didn't say that exactly and it was ages ago. We've beaten you 3 times on the bounce since then anyway, move on sweetie kiss

Yep, with dodgy ref calls.

And the "move on sweetie" remark could could be made to Wales fans with regard to Rolland's call for the red card at the world cup. He is still an elite ref. Rolling Eyes

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 am

We'll always keep a welcome in the hillsides for Mr Rollaind the elite ref Hug

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:52 am

RubyGuby wrote:We'll always keep a welcome in the hillsides for Mr Rollaind the elite ref Hug

Isn't South Wales the 'valleys' Wink Not much rugby up in North Wales.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 am

What's that got to do with anything? - We also have an affectionate welsh name for him in the hillsides thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:00 am

Sin is still hurting about Shane retiring. He hoped to see him score the winning try against Leinster on Friday but it wasn't to be Hug

Last edited by munkian on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:02 am

Shane who?

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:03 am

RubyGuby wrote:Shane who?

drumroll
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:17 am

munkian wrote:Sin is still hurting about Shane retiring. He hoped to see him score the winning try against Leinster on Friday but it wasn't to be Hug

Eh, I wanted Leinster to win thumbsup

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 am

Let’s hope the British & Irish Lions don't play negative rugby like Wales. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:36 am

Come on Hersh - what do 2 -ves make ?? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:42 am

More importantly let's hope they play winning rugby like Wales Cool

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:44 am

I dont think Rollaind is reffing any of the Lions games so we'll be fine thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:45 am

If negative rugby is winning rugby... I know what your secretly hoping for HERSH!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 am

Knowsit17 wrote:More importantly let's hope they play winning rugby like Wales Cool

Theyve lost a higher percentage of their games since Gatlands been in charge than England or Ireland have

Just saying like....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:43 am

“I remember at Wasps we would have some early morning one-on-one power endurance sessions in the forwards,” he said.

“We would be split into mini groups and pitted against each other over eight sets of eight exercises in the gym and then straight away afterwards five sets of five exercises outside, like wrestling, shuttles, tyre flips etc.

“I would often be paired against the King of Wasps Lawrence Dallaglio.

“Gats would, without fail, have a word in Lawrence’s ear and say I had been trash-talking him and that I thought I was better.

“Unbeknown to Lawrence, he would then come up to me and say, ‘Lol, has been saying you’re too young, weak and that you aren’t tough enough.’

“The end result is two players go all out against each other, trade a few blows no doubt, but ultimately push one another to their max.

“I am sure in the hard trips to Poland with Wales, Warren would be loving creating that competitive edge, and when players smash each other in training, especially young against old, he would actively talk the young guys up."

I hope that isn't a tactic he will use with the Lions. Yes you need good competition and players driving each other on, but although it might work in a club or country environment, I don't think those sort of divisive tactics would be good for a squad that is only together for a short period and needs its different camps fused together very quickly.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:16 am

After last seasons 4th place effort in the 6 nations I seem to remember people wanting Gatland & Edwards heads! Headscratch

Just goes to show what can happen if people are given a little bit more time, or maybe they fluked another GS Whistle I'm so confused must be the heat.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 am

Maybe Johnson could have the GS this season if given time... Whistle

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 am

HERSH wrote:After last seasons 4th place effort in the 6 nations I seem to remember people wanting Gatland & Edwards heads! Headscratch

Just goes to show what can happen if people are given a little bit more time, or maybe they fluked another GS Whistle I'm so confused must be the heat.

No offense intended, but I think your posting record suggests you are equally confused when it's cold too. Wink
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:05 am

With Gatland getting the Lions job, just how will it affect, the Lions, and Wales in general.

With Gatland being incharge surely he will want the best Welsh player/s to play for the lions!!

So how many of the Welsh squad right now will be left for the Wales 6ns squad?

Surley Gatland will want the best player/s from all nations not just Wales, but the other nations will atleast have their ( head coaches ) still in charge of their countrys team.

It will be intersting to see how 2013 6ns will play out for Wales, more than any other team.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:19 am

majesticimperialman wrote:With Gatland getting the Lions job, just how will it affect, the Lions, and Wales in general.

With Gatland being incharge surely he will want the best Welsh player/s to play for the lions!!

Surley Gatland will want the best player/s from all nations not just Wales, but the other nations will atleast have their ( head coaches ) still in charge of their countrys team.

It will be intersting to see how 2013 6ns will play out for Wales, more than any other team.

Can you explain this again, it makes little sense?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 am

offload wrote:
HERSH wrote:After last seasons 4th place effort in the 6 nations I seem to remember people wanting Gatland & Edwards heads! Headscratch

No offense intended, but I think your posting record suggests you are equally confused when it's cold too. Wink

notworthy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 am

munkian wrote:
offload wrote:

notworthy

There is always one line with HERSH, England good, Wales Bad...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:10 am

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:With Gatland getting the Lions job, just how will it affect, the Lions, and Wales in general.

Let me try and explain. Gatland has taken charge of the Lions for next year right.?

So will he be getting the Lions team together before the 6ns, or after. If it is (BEFORE) the 6ns they surely he (GATLAND) WILL WANT TO TAKE WITH HIM, on the Lions tour the BEST players that Wales have, WHICH HAS SOME ONE POINTED OUT THE OTHER DAY IS THE SAME TEAM THAT WON THE GRAND SLAM.

So what effect will that have the Welsh team FOR THE 6ns?.

Is that better for you maes? thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Let me try and explain. Gatland has taken charge of the Lions for next year right.?

So will he be getting the Lions team together before the 6ns, or after. If it is (BEFORE) the 6ns they surely he (GATLAND) WILL WANT TO TAKE WITH HIM, on the Lions tour the BEST players that Wales have, WHICH HAS SOME ONE POINTED OUT THE OTHER DAY IS THE SAME TEAM THAT WON THE GRAND SLAM.

So what effect will that have the Welsh team FOR THE 6ns?.

Is that better for you maes? thumbsup

The squad was picked after the 6Ns last time. Wales will need to win the Slam again without Gatland to make the tour Smile or that is what Gatland should be saying to them. This time 4 years ago, Ryan Jones was touted as being the Lions Captain, he wouldn't have made the Lions except for injury (and he turned up injured)1

Last edited by Sin é on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:17 am

majesticimperialman wrote:but the other nations will at least have their ( head coaches ) still in charge of their countrys team.

You make that sound so positive, majestic. From where I'm sitting (in Ireland) it's almost depressing Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next