The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NRL thread

+4
aucklandlaurie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Kenny
Luke
8 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The NRL thread - Page 4 Empty The NRL thread

Post by Luke Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Following on from other threads to make the RL section easier to follow, we know have this thread. So all news etc from what is in my opnion the best league in RL, views and other things that people want to add or put across about the Aussie/New Zealand leagues, please feel free to put in here.

Parramatta's remarkable skipper Nathan Hindmarsh has announced that this year will be his last. After a fantastic career that has spaned 15 years, and over 300 games, all for the Eels.

Melbourne's Cooper Cronk has signed a 4 year deal to remain at the club.

New Zealand Warriors utility Lewis Brown will be leaving the club at the end of this year. After agreeing a 3 year deal with the Penrith Panthers.

A potential white night has gone public with his intentions to save financially stricken NRL club the Gold Coast Titans.
Billy Rae has said that his consortium are deadly series in there take over bid. Meanwhile media reports say that Scott Hill & 5 other buisness men are a rival consortium to take over the Titans.
Th
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

The NRL thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The NRL thread

Post by Kenny Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:51 am

I will keep a look out for them , thanks

Enjoy the games
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:38 pm

Thanks Laurie, a couple of Leeds fans I know insists they won the GF more despite
Mclennan then because of him. Considering they got to every age group GF last season, I just expected something better from the Warriors this season, maybe not winning the minors, but certainly a top 8 spot if not better.

From what I've read, the Bulldogs are looking very impressive, I just wonder if they're peaking a bit to soon.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:28 pm

Things are starting to heat up around McLennan, this from this mornings local paper. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10827455

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:41 pm

just to update you guys,

Brian McClennan and the Warriors have parted and gone their separate ways this morning, Tony Iro will take over for the rest of the year.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 21 Aug 2012, 12:50 am

Hardly surprising given the Warriors dreadful form this year, What's the likelihood that Kearney will get the job Laurie?

Also Laurie or LB, just how bad were the decisions or non decisions in the West's & Brisbane games.

Laurie Daley has announced his interest in becoming the NSW origin coach.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 21 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm

Those decisions were so bad tiger.

We can't have these mistakes with all the technology we now have in a crucial finals game. That would be a complete farce.

Good news on Laurie Daley. He lives near me and I often bump into him (or his kids running around the tables!) in the beer garden of a nice local pub in Northbridge. He always seems pretty relaxed and cool. I wish him luck. We're definitely going to need some of that! Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 21 Aug 2012, 2:20 pm

Heard the ones in the west game were terrible, agree that with the technology available there really should be no need for as many mistakes as what seems to be happening.

Am I right that Daley used to coach Canberra, heats his record as a coach like?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:07 pm

Think the odds will be rather short on Kearney taking over....

Bluey has never really convinced me that he is a top drawer coach. Seems to do well with the players but can't get the best out of them when it is needed

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 21 Aug 2012, 9:54 pm

tiger
The horror ruling over the weekend down here was Frankie Pritchard running behind one of his own players and passing long, my understaning of the ruling (I say cautiously) is that because he didnt pass short to either the player running through or any other teammate that would have been in front of those particular defenders affected by the player running through then its not deemed a shepherd.

Confused, because I sure as hell am.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm

on the Warriors coaching appoitment... there is talk here that the warriors could be making approaches to Craig Bellamy, this seems to indicate that thier is a lot more water to run under this bridge.

Daniel Anderson has come out and said this morning that he would come back to Auckland if given the job, and if the Warriors were to get the cheque book out!!!!

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:03 am

That seems a strange rule, though they really do need to sort out what's shepherding and what's not. Big problem in SL apart from the mess that is happening between tackles and actually playing the ball (some players actually move there feet in at least pretence of playing the balls properly), is how dummy runners are being used.

From what I've heard, the Warriors aren't going to be a big spending club,( and to be honest, if every age group gets to the GF, do they really need to be), and if there redoing Eden Park, will they have the spare money anyway.
Would Bellamy go to the Warriors do you think? As personally I can't see him leaving Melbourne.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

tiger, Warriors don't own Eden Park and it was already tarted up for the recent Rugby WC. They use it for showcasing big matches, opening the season there but then revert to the tired Mt Smart stadium ground.

Warriors do have money behind them, they brought in Owen Glenn this year as co-owner (Glenn is a billionaire) and have made the rather grand statement that they want the Warriors to be the premier sporting franchise in Australasia. Grand indeed. If they want to be this, they need to spend...but wisely.

Lastly, problem with successful feeder teams is that you cannot keep all of the talent and at some stage, those teams break up and players are dispersed to other clubs. They need to highlight weak areas now and bring through the replacements. Hurrell, Johnson and Omar are recent examples of this...

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Aug 2012, 3:18 pm

Sorry, it was the MT Smart stadium that they redeveloping.

Good point about youth. if they're not playing other clubs will sign them and as you said, if they're doing well then they become on other clubs radar.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 24 Aug 2012, 3:51 am

SYDNEY ROOSTERS

Have signed Hull FC forward Sam Moa on a 2 year deal.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

Luke Lewis will be sitting out the rest of the year and has played his last game for the Panthers. He's been having treatment for thyroid cancer which he thinks has been sorted.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/i-struck-gold-really--lewis-admits-luck-after-cancer-scare-20120823-24p9x.html

So the Raiders took the Bulldogs apart in Canberra tonight. Apparently it was predicted in the betting markets which all sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/plunge-on-raiders-sparks-rumours-of-a-rest-for-dogs-20120823-24p49.html

It makes a big difference to the table now with the Raiders in 7th, Broncos 8th, and the Tigers, Titans and Newcastle challenging for that 8th spot depending on how well they do this weekend.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:26 am

I think Sheens time is up at the Tigers.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sheens-job-in-spotlight-after-capitulation/story-e6frexnr-1226458697853

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:40 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:I think Sheens time is up at the Tigers.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sheens-job-in-spotlight-after-capitulation/story-e6frexnr-1226458697853

Yeah, although I never would have called them 'favourites' they have shown some form (against the lesser teams) but punctuated with some shocking performances like yesterday.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:04 am

The Sharkies future is secure. Well done to them.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/cronulla-sharks-secure-financial-future/story-fnbhmja0-1226460031097

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:09 am

Following on from the $1 Billion+ TV deal more good news
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/arlc-got-tv-numbers-right-but-real-bonanza-is-five-years-away-20120827-24wqj.html

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:03 pm

Laurie Daley has signed a 2 year contract to coach the NSW origin side.

St George captain Ben Hornby has announced that this season will be his last.

The plans to expand the NRL by 2 expansion teams, has been put on hold for at least 5 years.

Bradford coach Mick Potter is being strongly linked with the Vacant New Zealand Warriors position.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Well done to the NRL on this one
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrls-nathan-mcguirk-defends-shoulder-charge-rule-change/story-e6frexnr-1226462210162

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:36 am

They are trialling the 'captain's challenge' rule in today's Toyota Cup game between the Titans and Manly.

http://www.nrl.com/captains-challenge-trial-in-toyota-cup/tabid/10874/newsid/69635/default.aspx

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:48 pm

Brian Smith has been dumped by the Roosters - one year out from the end of his Contract.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:54 pm

Ben Barba - Dally M Player of the Year

Barba 32 votes
Bowen 26
Cronk 25
Thurston 24

Des Hasler - Coach of the Year

Read more about the awards here...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/barba-top-dog-at-night-of-nights-20120904-25cwj.html

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:35 pm

Hull KR have confirmed the signing of Penrith Panthers half-back Travis Burns on a three-year deal.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

Kenny wrote:Hull KR have confirmed the signing of Penrith Panthers half-back Travis Burns on a three-year deal.

Are you happy with that?
I hope they made it clear that he's gotta behave himself. He's a good player but he seems to have a couple of issues he needs to manage.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:44 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
Kenny wrote:Hull KR have confirmed the signing of Penrith Panthers half-back Travis Burns on a three-year deal.

Are you happy with that?
I hope they made it clear that he's gotta behave himself. He's a good player but he seems to have a couple of issues he needs to manage.

Lots of conditions attached to the contract which enable Rovers to terminate it if they are breached with no pay off for Burns . He seems a good player and is different to Dobson so hopefully they will gel , one things for sure even if FC do sign Holdsworth and Chase we will still have the best half back pairing in Hull . Very Happy
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:53 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Brian Smith has been dumped by the Roosters - one year out from the end of his Contract.

Who's likely/favorite to take over?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 12:49 am

Early days yet Tiger, but I've just heard it may be (no certainty) Craig Bellamy, Jim Dymock or Gus Gould.

Catalans Dragons coach Trent Robinson has also been mentioned.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 06 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Early days yet Tiger, but I've just heard it may be (no certainty) Craig Bellamy, Jim Dymock or Gus Gould.

Dosn't Craig Bellamy have a year on his contract at Melbourne? Plus I don't see him leaving Melbourne for the Roosters.
Trent Robinson's an interesting shout, not sure he leave Catalans yet, has his stock risen due to what he's doing at Catalans?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:10 pm

No idea tiger, it's just what I heard the guys on Fox saying.

Maybe Bellamy and Robinson do have some time left on their contracts.
Jim Dymock may be the dark horse in that case.

I thought Phil Gould would be at Penrith for a while longer too but the so called pundits love throwing names around obviously.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:03 am

Not sure how long Robinsons got left on his contract at Catalans, just not sure weather he leave them yet.

I know this is probably a stupid question, But are the Roosters considered a big club? I mean like Brisbane or Souths with regards fan base, history etc? I know they seem to have alot of money.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:45 am

Tiger,

They have won the Premiership 12 times however apart from 1974, 1975 and 2002 all of their GF wins have been before 1950.

As a foundation club they have a long history and were formerly known as Eastern Suburbs. I still have problems with calling them Sydney Roosters. It would be like calling Chelsea - "London". Imagine how the Arsenal or West Ham fans would feel?

Similar to Chelsea (in terms of affluence compared to the rest of Sydney apart from areas of the North Shore) - the Roosters are located in the suburbs east of the city - so if you live in Double Bay, Rose Bay, Vaucluse, Dover Heights, Bondi Beach, Bondi Junction, Randwick, Coogee, Maroubra... even the City or King's Cross, Paddington, Darlinghurst - you are in Rooster territory.

They border South Sydney - more or less South Dowling St is the demarcation line but there are pockets (places like Pagewood and Daceyville) which are East of this divide but probably feel more aligned with Souths, who are the antithesis of "Easts" being more working class.

The Roosters have good high-profile backing, financially pretty sound and decent membership numbers (but they might just join up to use the gym, swimming pool and tennis courts adjacent to the SFS/SCG) however they are also considered to be one of the most fickle bunch of supporters. When the Roosters do well; the numbers swell. When they are struggling - there's a joke about the SFS inflating crowd figures ("I'd like to have their accountant!")... which annoys fans of other clubs.

Souths have a very healthy (traditional) support base and in recent years have had their profile raised by people like 'Rusty' Crowe and Holmes a Court (rich son of wealthy entrepreneur) which is kind of ironic considering the history of South Sydney where life was very tough. Hence the Rabbitohs tag - street vendors who sold rabbits for food during the Great Depression.

Brisbane has a much larger membership due to it being a one city club.
That area (south-east Qld including GC and Sunshine Coast) is one of the fastest growing parts of Australia - and is tipped to overtake Melbourne in the next few decades. About 3 million in the Brisbane-Moreton Bay area.

Until the Gold Coast (Seagulls/Titans) and Cowboys came into the 'NSWRL' and NRL fold they were essentially "the Queensland team" by proxy.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:07 am

Linebreaker

I know what you mean, I still call teams names like Balmain Tigers, Cronulla Sutherland, Eastern suburbs.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:39 am

tigerrobins wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Early days yet Tiger, but I've just heard it may be (no certainty) Craig Bellamy, Jim Dymock or Gus Gould.

Dosn't Craig Bellamy have a year on his contract at Melbourne? Plus I don't see him leaving Melbourne for the Roosters.
Trent Robinson's an interesting shout, not sure he leave Catalans yet, has his stock risen due to what he's doing at Catalans?

According to reports, Robinson did sign a deal with the Roosters today.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:46 am

Linebreaker wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:

According to reports, Robinson did sign a deal with the Roosters today.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/roosters-sign-robinson-as-coach-20120907-25ire.html

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

Not a signing that really makes me think we can turn our woes around. Problem is with the Roosters is that there is, rightly or wrongly, an air of expectation and your number will most certainly be up if you don't deliver. I'm surprised Smith lasted as long as he did to be honest.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 07 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

Yeah I was wrong about Robinson, from what you said may not be ready for a big jump yet (to a club with big expectations), but time will tell. He's certainly done a good job with Catalan.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 07 Sep 2012, 2:29 pm

Just out of interest, why did the clubs merge, and is it working out in your opinion? I remember Balmain (mainly due to Benny Elias), and used to try and follow there's and Manly's results, but just don't care about West's. Also what happened to North Sydney, didn't they also have a side?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

South Sydneys Matt King ruled out with a broken arm
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:21 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Just out of interest, why did the clubs merge, and is it working out in your opinion? I remember Balmain (mainly due to Benny Elias), and used to try and follow there's and Manly's results, but just don't care about West's. Also what happened to North Sydney, didn't they also have a side?

Balmain Tigers, Western Suburbs Magpies, North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets (or the Bluebags) still play in the NSW Cup - which would be the equivalent to First Division in the Premier League say - but with certain feeder club relationships.

Auckland Vulcans --> NZ Warriors
Balmain-Ryde-Eastwood Tigers --> Wests Tigers
Illawarra Cutters --> St George-Illawarra Dragons
North Sydney Bears --> South Sydney Rabbitohs
The Mounties --> Canberra Raiders
Newtown Jets --> Sydney Roosters
Wentworthville Magpies --> Parramatta
Western Suburbs Magpies --> Wests Tigers
Windsor Wolves --> Penrith Panthers

Then you've got Canterbury, Newcastle, Cronulla and Manly NSW Cup sides which feed directly into the Toyota Cup or NRL level.

Toyota Cup is the "U20" competition and is 2nd grade NRL. NRL players can either be sent out to their feeder club or play reserves.

The reason for the mergers was mostly to do with money. Although relatively successful and having a decent following; they just couldn't balance the books in the end.

The Wests Tigers is probably the most logical and successful one but still the fans are spread out over a huge area.
There would be Wests fans relatively close into the city in suburbs like Strathfield, Auburn and Lidcombe (15km away from CBD) but also a different support base around Campbelltown, Camden... even Cabramatta (35-70km away from CBD) like a wedge between Parramatta/Penrith to the north and west and Canterbury-Bankstown/Souths/St George-Illawarra/Canberra to the east and south.

The St George-Illawarra one is perhaps the most controversial with such a successful stand alone club coming to the rescue of it's traditional feeder heartland club, the Illawarra Steelers (Wollongong, Dapto, Port Kembla, Shellharbour, Kiama catchment area) which is about 80-120km away from Kogarah Oval.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:45 pm

Thanks for that LB, I thought I could remember a North Sydney side, Like I said Balmain & Manly where the sides I used to follow, now just Manly.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:30 pm

Mick Potter has announced that he is leaving Bradford & returning to Australia.

Wonder if this means he's got the Warriors job?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:26 am

Manly

Plans to take there NRL Clash v Canberra to Shenzhen (China), could happen as early as next year. Certain conditions have to be meet ( both clubs getting a bye next round, Fox TV agreeing etc), but both clubs believe that it could happen if not next season then certainly the next one after.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 21 Sep 2012, 2:18 am

Interesting plans.
I know they took an AFL game to China a couple of years ago and they got about 15k attendance. Quite a few expats were there naturally but also there was some interest from the locals.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 21 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm

If they get a similar crowd LB, would it be considered a success?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:23 pm

Clint Greenshields has signed a one year contract with North Queensland Cowboys
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:30 am

Inglis signs 5 year deal at the rabbitohs
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-inglis-re-signs-with-south-sydney-rabbitohs-until-2017/story-e6frexnr-1226483405335

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:38 am

So he's stuck with Rusty for the next 5 years too. Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm

Gold Coast Titans have agreed a two year deal for Wigan's young fullback Matty Russell
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next