The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster V Cardiff Blues Lansdowne rd

+49
hugo124
LondonTiger
yappysnap
clivemcl
maestegmafia
BigTrevsbigmac
Breadvan
glamorganalun
BelfastNI
GunsGerms
Rava
mankiaow
eirebilly
Pot Hale
ME-109
bedfordwelsh
manofgwent
Knowsit17
pete (buachaill on eirne)
SecretFly
kunu
asoreleftshoulder
the-goon
Rory_Gallagher
Thomond
Gibson
thebluesmancometh
drsambo1928
LeinsterFan4life
Morgannwg
PenfroPete
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
jimlewtheblue
Golden
wales606
Liam
Cardiff Dave
Feckless Rogue
red_stag
gowales
Smirnoffpriest
BoyneRFC
Kingshu
rodders
GavinDragon
Mickado
Artful_Dodger
Weybridge Welsh
Jenifer McLadyboy
53 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Leinster V Cardiff Blues Lansdowne rd - Page 8 Empty Leinster V Cardiff Blues Lansdowne rd

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:30 am

First topic message reminder :

Surprised there's no thread already. Leinster massive favourites at home. Cardiff Blues coming in under the radar.

Could there be an upset?

This time 6 years ago an unfancied Leinster travelled to the home of European Rugby. To a team that would have just won 3 in a row but for the famous Rob Howley try in 04. (They won in 03 and 05 and lost in the dying minutes of the 04 final)

Leinster played the most incredible game against them and took Toulouse out of it. (Sadly blew it on Black Sunday v Munster in the semi, and then lost the Celtic league to a late drop goal by David Humphries in Wales on the last day of the league)

Could Cardiff Blues pull a similar stroke? Will Jamie Roberts play? Is Sam Warburton really out? How fit is Gethin? Henson is defo out anyway.

Leinster have close to a full deck......... Worried about any knockout game, and worried about the low key buildup here and the fact that the Blues could put one big game together and give us a shock.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Leinster V Cardiff Blues Lansdowne rd - Page 8 Empty Re: Leinster V Cardiff Blues Lansdowne rd

Post by Liam Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:28 pm

positives for Blues:

-Didn't give up in the second half
-Jenkins was incredible at the breakdown, great game
-Paterson, one of the few Blues players who actually looked to be giving Leinster a problem
-Hewitt. Stood up today, tackled well and attacked well with some good hand offs.

Negatives:

-Scrum. We all knew it was going to struggle so no surprise there.
-Tackling. Quite a few, although give credit to Leinster for some superb attacking lines and passes
-Attacking, clueless. So many times we had 3 on two's out wide, yet kept coming back infield where there were 5 Leinster defenders waiting for us
-Breakdown. How many times did a Blues player go into contact with no one coming in behind to clear out the Leinster forwards. I was shouting in the end for someone to come in and clear out. No one to be seen, easy for Leinster every time to turn over possession.
-Parks. Not making him a scape goat but the guy is just completely incapable of bringing a backline into play. He also doesn't like to tackle, bit of a problem on a rugby pitch.
-Coaching. Allot of these negatives are clearly down to two coaches who have no idea what they are doing and are completely out of their depth, yet still ooze arrogance, especially Baber. He should keep his head down with that performance, didn't look like scoring a try.

Overall it wasn't the thumping it promised to be after the first half and all credit to the players they stuck in there right till the end. Unfortunately, it's going to get worse next season, and if B and B are still there next season they'll struggle to qualify for the Heiniken, which in the financial situation they are in now, would spell disaster for the Blues.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Leinster V Cardiff Blues Lansdowne rd - Page 8 Empty Re: Leinster V Cardiff Blues Lansdowne rd

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:16 pm

martyr_94 wrote:positives for Blues:

-Didn't give up in the second half
-Jenkins was incredible at the breakdown, great game
-Paterson, one of the few Blues players who actually looked to be giving Leinster a problem
-Hewitt. Stood up today, tackled well and attacked well with some good hand offs.

Doing what they are paid to do in other words.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:22 am

Pot Hale wrote:Disappointing from Leinster in the second half.

They'll need to improve for the semis against decent opposition.

What decent opposition? There is none. Leinster never even shifted in to 3rd gear. Cruised in 2nd. It was boring.

Brilliant by Edinburgh today.

Edinburgh v Leinster Final.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:04 am

Realistically Leinster are by far the best team in Europe and can only loose through their own fault.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:23 am

That's torn it
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

Really good performance in parts from us. Particularly the backs who were very dangerous. Our basic attacking skills right through the team were very good everyone running lines and being able to shift the ball when necessary.

I felt the pack to their foot off the gas a fair bit come 50mins r so.

Worried about us at 12-13 against stronger opposition. Really hope sarries win today because Darcy and bod don't have me convinced hugely yet about their ability to make go forward ball. Darcy made a great drive for Kearney's 1st try. And bod made the dart and offload but still fear for us against someone like Fofana and rougerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

Cardiff's defence and breakdown work was pathetic. Never seen such a shocking performance from a quarter final side. Leinster played well but Jesus were Cardiff awful.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

we were poor. i didnt expect anything else.

leinster were very good and should be able to go all the way. good luck.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

Fofana and Rougerie didn't do a whole helluvalot against a very poor Ireland.
O'Driscoll's 3rd game back? I think he's feeling the puff of the games but time will keep bringing him back to nearer his full-strength match fitness.

The foot-off-the-gas is unsettling IF it was something not already planned for (my suspicions are that it was kinda planned for) or if the foot-back-on-the-gas was just not being effective.

Also that last period of effort with no points was actually the most annoying point for me - just some less than clinical play and needed concentration when so far ahead. That dark edge and willingness to kill a team off needs to be more prominent from here on in. Lack of conviction when ahead can often be the undoing of sides at this stage in the competition - just ask Northampton! Ruthlessness and concentration to the end.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:29 am

SecretFly wrote:

The foot-off-the-gas is unsettling IF it was something not already planned for (my suspicions are that it was kinda planned for) or if the foot-back-on-the-gas was just not being effective.

Also that last period of effort with no points was actually the most annoying point for me - just some less than clinical play and needed concentration when so far ahead. That dark edge and willingness to kill a team off needs to be more prominent from here on in. Lack of conviction when ahead can often be the undoing of sides at this stage in the competition - just ask Northampton! Ruthlessness and concentration to the end.

Correctamundo.

The shakiness in the lineout, the inability to make more of dominance at scrum time, the mental switch off in the second half, the creeping error count in the last twenty minutes, and failure to cross the line are all aspects of a Leinster brittleness that could be attacked by a much more intense and powerful team - Saracens or Clermont.

Leinster ain't the best team in Europe.

Yet.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:32 am

Well that was a bit of murder that Leinster did against the Blues yesterday wasn't it.

Some really incredible tries scored by them, I loved the one from the inside pass by sexton, that was a classic try.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:44 am

Aye was a great one, so many good slow mo's on it too! Sexton just knowing Fitz would be there and not even looking! Sexton had a great game! (wonder where dod is?)

Pot hale
I agree to an extent but I think there r two facets to that mentallity

1) being behind and somehow managing to win when you have no right too (doing a munster)

2) being so far ahead you take your foot of the gas

Leinster do both of these. You'd have to be a pretty good team to be able to catch Leinster come 60mins if you are 20points down or so and then have to deal with the bench we can unload.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:47 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Sexton had a great game! (wonder where dod is?)

I've actually seen him around, Pete - being quite gracious about Leinster too....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:51 am

SecretFly wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Sexton had a great game! (wonder where dod is?)

I've actually seen him around, Pete - being quite gracious about Leinster too....

Very Happy Is he eating some humble pie?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:57 am

.... Whistle DOD is too proud to ever eat humble pie, biltong Wink But he did say Leinster are the benchmark for all clubs in Europe. Which is quite a big statement. Of course he did offer the suggestion that they'll now have to live up to it in what could be quite a tricky SF. And of course, he's very right.

Reputation means nothing without continuous proof provided.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:57 am

Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Correctamundo.

The shakiness in the lineout, the inability to make more of dominance at scrum time, the mental switch off in the second half, the creeping error count in the last twenty minutes, and failure to cross the line are all aspects of a Leinster brittleness that could be attacked by a much more intense and powerful team - Saracens or Clermont.

Yet.

No team can keep that intensity up for the full 80 and it's only natural that over the course of the match there will be slumps in the aggression and precision. It's even more natural when you're multiple scores ahead and the opposition don't ever look like troubling your line.

Leinster are the team to beat in this comp and I have a feeling that if ther had been one score in it in that last 20 then we'd have seen a very different Leinster style of play to finish the game.

Leinster are the best team in Europe, by quite a margin. Please stop this very Irish habit of talking yourselves down and get used to being the best and enjoy it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

yappysnap wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Correctamundo.

Yet.

No team can keep that intensity up for the full 80 and it's only natural that over the course of the match there will be slumps in the aggression and precision. It's even more natural when you're multiple scores ahead and the opposition don't ever look like troubling your line.

Leinster are the team to beat in this comp and I have a feeling that if ther had been one score in it in that last 20 then we'd have seen a very different Leinster style of play to finish the game.

Leinster are the best team in Europe, by quite a margin. Please stop this very Irish habit of talking yourselves down and get used to being the best and enjoy it.

I get your point yappy, and I did hint that the fall back in intensity was probably pre-planned when the scoreboard allowed for it. But I've seen Leinster in more unmerciful moods and I'm saying this is the time of year when you show it. Relaxing can be a difficult enough mood to pull yourself out of when you realise you need to. It just needs to be a tad tighter from Leinster at this stage in the year.... well, for me anyway.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 08 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

I still can't believe how poor the Blues were having seen it on S4C again this morning. For a HC 1/4 final they showed no intensity and were just walking to the breakdown, they fell off tackles and gave Leinster far too much space.

Full credit to Leinster they took their chances well and scored some fantastic tries but when you get such an easy ride, it has to be kept in context.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 08 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

Are sky showing the game again at all? Saw tg4 highlights.

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:11 pm

DOD wrote:Wrong again ASLS ..try again...god loves those types apparently..

Show me the quotes from the many people on here who were calling for them and I'll admit I'm wrong,however I suspect you'll just do your usual act of slinking quietly away when you've been shown up.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:18 pm

The general feeling among Leinster fans around where I live is that Cardiff were useless. It wasn't much of a competition. Some nice tries saved the game from being completely boring. Leinster really haven't been tested yet. It's not been like that murderous pool last year and knockout matches against Tigers and Toulouse, before we even made it to the final.

We've coasted to the semi's against poorer opposition this year. It hasn't been great preparation for a potential away trip Saracens, or even worse, Clermont.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

And then there's the loss to the Ospreys the other day.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:35 pm

That loss was whipped by the win in Thomond Park Glas, and the fact that BOD, Cullen and Thorn got game time.

We haven't really been tested no that is true.

If Sarries win today then I can really see it being an all Irish final.

Fair enough Fly I haven't seen him but I'll take your word for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

Glas a du wrote:And then there's the loss to the Ospreys the other day.

We've already seen that playing two loose heads (one very inexperienced) in the scrum makes it impossible to win games.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:48 pm

lol @ Stuart Barnes "Conor O'Murray"

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:44 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:The general feeling among Leinster fans around where I live is that Cardiff were useless. It wasn't much of a competition. Some nice tries saved the game from being completely boring. Leinster really haven't been tested yet. It's not been like that murderous pool last year and knockout matches against Tigers and Toulouse, before we even made it to the final.

We've coasted to the semi's against poorer opposition this year. It hasn't been great preparation for a potential away trip Saracens, or even worse, Clermont.

Yeah from last year when we had the toughest possible draw in terms of the opposition this year has been relatively straightforward,away to Clermont will be one hell of a tester now.Leinster have to stand up and show what they're made of.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm

Thomond wrote:I still can't believe how poor the Blues were having seen it on S4C again this morning. For a HC 1/4 final they showed no intensity and were just walking to the breakdown, they fell off tackles and gave Leinster far too much space.

Came as no surprise to me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:35 pm

Is there anyone coming to Bordeaux for the semis? Booked flights at half time in the Sarries game and got 235 euro for flights, trains and two nights accommodation....

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

Aparently flights cost over 500€ with aerlingus now. Joke.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm

wow thats some deal you got there boyneRFC

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:The general feeling among Leinster fans around where I live is that Cardiff were useless. It wasn't much of a competition. Some nice tries saved the game from being completely boring. Leinster really haven't been tested yet. It's not been like that murderous pool last year and knockout matches against Tigers and Toulouse, before we even made it to the final.

True. I think it's enough to make Clermont favourites.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

They have Montpellier and Stade to come before our game (with a 9 day break between the SF and Montpellier!!)

Both Monty and Stade have something to play for, as do Clermont, so the hope is they nacker themselves out in those two games.....

Maybe its wishful thinking...

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 10 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

leinsterbaby try flights to La Rochelle...

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:52 pm

Glas a du wrote:And then there's the loss to the Ospreys the other day.

WHO? Never erd of em. Croatian are they?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr 2012, 7:01 am

BoyneRFC wrote:leinsterbaby try flights to La Rochelle...

Yep, thats the best option. A little extra journey time but a hell of alot cheaper Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:32 am

And then there's the loss to the Ospreys the other day.

I think there is a straw on another board you can clutch at if you hurry...

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:09 am

eirebilly wrote:

Yep, thats the best option. A little extra journey time but a hell of alot cheaper Very Happy

Will do thanks.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:19 am

leinsterbaby wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Will do thanks.

Actually, Dublin to Paris is 130 return on Ryanair (28th - 30th). Train from Paris to Bordeaux is about 100 return and would take no more than 3 hours.

No excuses not to go really...

RedWine

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

I've only just got round to watching the game and getting on here.....

Was never in doubt was it.

Well played Leinster, never got out of 2nd gear, only a handful of the blues players would play in a blues shirt again after some of that gash defence if I had my way.

And then to hear 1 of the blues coaches come out and basically say "you fans might wanna get used to that, we're gonna be pants for a while" was the brown icing on the sheet cake.

As a blues fan Im very, very disappointed, they werent even competitive bar a few of the welsh internationals individually. Very, very bad from the Blues, made to look like an uncoached school team who were only there to get out of history class. nope

Leinster clap

Blues egg

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

Class from the man Comfort. guinness

You and all loyal Blues fans deserve so much better. I hope the dip will be followed by a rebuild, using some of that young indigenous and emerging talent ye have over there.
Its the only way to go. It took Leinster a long time to get where we are now. Lots of pain on the way, actually helped forge us and push into setting up a long-term plan for the province.

The Leinster Way. And its working like a dream now. We now have 29 home-grown Academy players, who have played for us this year.

You need a few foreigners to spice it up, help compete for trophies and to help your home-based players develop. No denying that. But, first you must invest more time & money in and to trust completely in - your Academy, to get there. And stay there.

I think it will take a change of coaching staff and a decent long-term plan from the men at the Top, tho bro. I hope it happens. For Blues fans sake. Also, we all need strong Welsh regions to stay strong ourselves. OK

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8