The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incredible win Edinburgh!! Whose up for Dublin???

+18
Rava
UlstermaninGlasgow
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
Suspicious lurker
GLove39
Shauna784
maestegmafia
Feckless Rogue
Majestic83
RuggerRadge2611
bsando
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Thomond
Shifty
SecretFly
Biltong
RDW
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Incredible win Edinburgh!! Whose up for Dublin??? Empty Incredible win Edinburgh!! Whose up for Dublin???

Post by RDW Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 8:25

First of all, let me get something out the way:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Ahem.

Well now that is over, unbelievable day, unbelievable win, unbelievable crowd - what a 25th birthday!

First of all to the game itself - Toulouse were very poor. Credit to Edinburgh though because we matched them where they said they would stuff us - we definitely had the upper hand in the scrums and we coped with their physicality admirably. What was worrying though was, just like Scotland, we had 4 or 5 attacking lineouts near their 22 and we lost possession almost straight away. You normally don't get away with that against good teams and luckily we did. Really need to improve that for the semis.

As for the sin binnings, well I thought Chunks was incredibly harsh. Yes it was a penalty but when have you ever seen someone get yellowed for that?? It was on the halfway line so it wasn't as if he prevented a score. Stupid and cynical yes, a yellow no IMO. For some reason they didn't show any replays of the Rennie one - was that justified?

As for the Servat one well I think it's fair to say the crowd played a huge part in that! I can't believe Owens was considering not giving a card for what was a ridiculous piece of foul play when we were near their line and looking for quick ball. The crowd went totally mental and was baying for blood and luckily he gave the yellow or else there'd be a riot.

On the topic of the crowd - what an atmosphere! Can't thank all the Scottish fans enough from all round the country who came yesterday. I saw rugby tops from the North, South, East and West and they all contributed to the special atmosphere. On a side note then, it is bloody annoying that any time the crowd got noisy they would boom the PA system out with some crap song!

So my final thought is on the captain, and MOTM, Greig Laidlaw. He was superb yesterday. Not just kicking the goals but the way he varied the play too. Fantastic passing and his tactical kicking was spot on too - 2 occasions where he sent a great kick for Visser and then Jones to chase which, although not resulting in a try, went out of play deep into their half putting them under pressure.

So finally - who is up for Dublin????? Apprently yesterday the flights were 38 quid return but Ryanair have obviously got wind of what is going on and have significantly increased the cost this morning! mad I wish I could swear on here!

So what a day, what a game, and what a great birthday present from Edinburgh!

So proud of them my eyes were definitely filling up at full time. Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Incredible win Edinburgh!! Whose up for Dublin??? Empty Re: Incredible win Edinburgh!! Whose up for Dublin???

Post by Biltong Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 8:53

So proud of them my eyes were definitely filling up at full time

Crybaby. Whistle

No sore throat this morning RDW?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Incredible win Edinburgh!! Whose up for Dublin??? Empty Re: Incredible win Edinburgh!! Whose up for Dublin???

Post by RDW Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 9:17

Not ashamed to day it - success doesn't happen very often for Scottish rugby fans!

I feel like a pineapple has been pulled up my wind pipe, attached to a porcupine.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 9:28

Please, don't spoil it by doing a 'We woz innocent for our cards and they was plum guilty for their one."

They woz guilty for their one but let's leave it at that and enjoy your victory which was doubly sweet I'm sure for the very reason that Edinburgh came through a period with two men down against historically Europe's most formidable side. That's character building - don't complain about it, embrace it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 9:41

Well done guys, it's no easy task to play Tolouse. I've no idea how you can be 11th in the Rabo Direct and then be a Heinaken Cup semi finalist, but there we go, lol. thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 9:53

Alyn, that's Michael Bradley for you, Connacht would be rooted to the bottom of the league but still get to the Amlin semis or knockouts at least. I was delighted when I heard the result, Edinburgh defended like dogs. They won't be a pushover for Munster/Ulster.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 9:56

Thomond wrote:Alyn, that's Michael Bradley for you, Connacht would be rooted to the bottom of the league but still get to the Amlin semis or knockouts at least. I was delighted when I heard the result, Edinburgh defended like dogs. They won't be a pushover for Munster/Ulster.

I missed it!
I was at the Bridgend V Tonmawr game. gotta get the priorities right! Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 10:11

Congrats guys hope this really is a boost for Scottish rugby you guys are a sound bunch. Fair play to ye

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 11:56

I watched the match in London with a random Toulouse fan I met. He seemed pretty confident he'd win.. needless to say he was a little upset Smile

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 12:28

Absolutely delighted with last night? Dublin? I would love to go, dunno how Mrs radge would feel about it though!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 13:03

Bloody Ryanair have increased the flights to 170 quid..... bawbags!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 13:24

Yeah been looking at flights to go out to Dublin for the semi but can't justify the price they have gone up to Sad
If people are looking for flights have a look at flying ryanair from newcastle to dublin, when i check they had flights first thing out saturday morning and returning first thing sunday morning for about £75 return!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 13:25

Great win. I was delighted for the fans. Great to see such a big crowd for a Scottish region. It shows the potential for growth in Scottish rugby is there. The trick is to keep delivering those big HC performances every year.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 17:09

Cant even find even vaguely sensible numbers anymore Sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 17:14

just been looking at flight RDW. Best i have found is edinburgh to belfast with easyjet. Fly out first thing saturday morning and return sunday morning. Flight cost is £70 return and a day return ticket on the train from belfast to dublin is £15.
Seems the best option from what i have found so far.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 19:15

That's what I was considering too. Train from Belfast to Dublin surrounded by ulster fans....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 19:19

Yeah I was thinking the train could be a bit of a bad ratio of ulster to edinburgh fans but I'm sure it will all be good natured banter.
Seems to be the best option unless you get a car load to go on the ferry?
The bus from belfast to Dublin is the same journey time from the looks of it too!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 19:20

Well done Edinburgh great result.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 8 Apr 2012 - 19:23

The express train from Belfast to Dublin would be a good option. They serve drinks and food on it. There'd probably be loads of fans on it having a bit of craic. Might be a bit pricey though, compared to the bus. Not sure.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauna784 Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 12:21

Ulsterbus may run a service at a special price if they think there is the demand. They do special offers to Dublin for the Ireland international games.

Shauna784

http://www.twitter.com/#!/shaunabean

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 16:37

Just heard from the official SRU twitter account that Edinburgh fans have bought almost 1,000 tickets for the semifinal already. Very positive

Last edited by GLove39 on Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 16:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 17:10

That's me all booked up - I'm going to Dublin!!! Yahoo

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 17:28

How did you manage it RDW, direct to Dublin??

Me Rava Aslongas and few more will be there
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 17:34

No, Edinburgh to Belfast then train to Dublin - flights to Dublin were ridiculous!

Worked out 170 quid each all in, Friday to Sunday.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 17:41

That's sound, sure the train only takes 90 minutes, or 4/5 cans whichever is easier Laugh
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 18:10

Who you flying with RDW?

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 18:29

Easyjet. Spent a lot of time looking into it and the Belfast option with them was by far the cheapest.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 19:23

Put on a Boks top for the train RDW and you will blend in Run

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 20:52

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Put on a Boks top for the train RDW and you will blend in Run

Risky, they migh mistake you for an England fan Whistle

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 22:57

I'm very tempted by Dublin (having been deprived of the amazing result at Murrayfield because of a wedding).

Will look into it (and by that, I mean beg the missus....)

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 23:20

As an Ulster fan over here I'm praying that I get tickets... Was in Murrayfield for the Toulouse game and as much as that was good, I'd love to be in Lansdowne for the SF.... Just have to hope I get tickets now!

Also for those considering heading over another option is to get the bus from Edinburgh to Dublin via Cairnryan and Belfast. It's £52 return and although it's about 10 hrs of travelling there's not many cheaper ways of getting to Dublin at the minute!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 23:50

Hey! Any Scottish fans wanting to get to Dublin then Get to Belfast and I will transport you to Dublin by car. I can accommodate five people. PM me.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 9 Apr 2012 - 23:51

RDW_Scotland wrote:Easyjet. Spent a lot of time looking into it and the Belfast option with them was by far the cheapest.

Let me know mate.I will do my best to get you to Dublin.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 0:00

Any Edinburgh fans thinking about travelling down from Belfast by train with the Ulster fans I can say that there will be nothing but craic on the journey between fans no matter what jersey you are wearing!

We are taking all our kids down and I have no concerns about the atmosphere on the trains at all!

Come on over!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 0:04

That's Rugby! Eh? Ale
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 8:55

We're heading down on the Friday so are hoping the train will be less chaotic! My dad did the same trip recently for the 6N and he said the train was mentally busy, even on the Friday.

I'm assuming they'll be putting extra trains on since 40 000 Ulster fans will probably be heading down??

Thanks for the info and offers of lifts - always liked you Ulster fans! Hug

Can anyone recommend the best way to get from Belfast airport to the train station? How much and how long? We've got 3 hours between our flight arriving and the train leaving so plenty time. Likewise we don't fly back 'til Sunday night so plenty time to make it to the airport.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 9:01

I'm going to save myself for Twickenham instead.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 9:02

Is it Belfast International or City airport?

BI is about 20min from Belfast. There is a bus that takes you directly to the Europa hotel, where the bus/train station is. Not sure how long it takes:

http://www.translink.co.uk/Services/Other-Translink-Services/Airport-Services/Airport-Express-300/
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 9:04

Going to Belfast might be a good shout. I'm risking divorce by even considering this but I'll try and bribe the Mrs with Flowers, Chocs and other means to try and barter a weekend pass.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 9:07

Need to find a missus that likes rugby - mine is coming too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 9:09

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I'm going to save myself for Twickenham instead.

Surprisingly that thought did cross our minds - if Edinburgh somehow did win would we be able to afford going to Twickenham having just been to Dublin??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 9:46

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I'm going to save myself for Twickenham instead.

Surprisingly that thought did cross our minds - if Edinburgh somehow did win would we be able to afford going to Twickenham having just been to Dublin??

Very true RDW as neither are famous for their cheap digs or beer!

I just have a feeling that Edinburgh's name might be on the cup this year so will count on them defeating Ulster (easiest of the three other teams) and heading over to London for the final.

If not then at least I save some nagging from the missus.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 9:49

You're possibly the most optimistic Scottish rugby fan I've ever seen!

I did put an each way bet on Edinburgh for the cup before the QF mind...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 13:32

RDW_Scotland wrote:Need to find a missus that likes rugby - mine is coming too!

Mine quite liked the idea of a weekend in Dublin until I mentioned the rugby Sad

Like Radge, I'm going to have to contemplate the possibility that if I go to Dublin she might not be there when I return!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 13:39

We should just get all the rugby wives together and let them go shopping or something and we'll go watch the game!

You guys really need to come - what are the chances of this ever happening again to Scotland fans, never mind just Edinburgh fans!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 13:44

RDW_Scotland wrote:We should just get all the rugby wives together and let them go shopping or something and we'll go watch the game!

You guys really need to come - what are the chances of this ever happening again to Scotland fans, never mind just Edinburgh fans!

Noone will be more gutted not to be going than myself. However I seriously doubt Mrs Radge will be happy if I went. In fact I think she'll be downright furious. I know it's a once in a lifetime thing at the moment but I'm hoping this is just the start of Pro Rugby in Scotland getting some exposure at the sharp end of European club rugby.

I think I'll just have to content myself watching the game at a packed Tcheuchters.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 13:45

That your local Radge? I watched the Italy game there.

Just tell her you're away on business or something! Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 13:56

Nah I'm a Fifer, but it can always be relied on to show Heineken Cup Rugby. I went there after the Toulouse game to watch Leinster muller Cardiff.

It's a decent atmosphere and the booze is not extortionate, it's a decent enough wee place to go.

MrsP, Mrs Radge's interest on rugby pretty much starts and ends with the Edinburgh rugby calender. Erm Beyond that she has little interest in the sport.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 13:59

RDW_Scotland wrote:We should just get all the rugby wives together and let them go shopping or something and we'll go watch the game!

Are you insane!!? Mrs fES would alleviate Ireland's financial troubles given 80 minutes carte blache in Dublin.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by JosieJoe Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 0:19

Just a wee Ulster fan jumping in here with some more travel advice. As well as the normal scheduled trains to Dublin it's possible that Translink will put on some extra ones - or at least have a special offer on the scheduled ones.

As someone else has mentioned,there are also regular buses to Dublin from the Europa Bus Centre - it takes about 2hrs or so, if I remember rightly. For the Munster game on Sunday they put on a special service to Limerick which cost £35 return - Dublin is much closer and should be cheaper. If there is a special bus service it would be more convenient as they should take you right to the Aviva, rather than the scheduled services which will just deposit you in the centre of Dublin. Either way both the trains and buses are operated by Translink so their website should have more information on what's available.

There will be a lot of Ulster fans making the trip too but I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if there was anything other than good craic all round!

Last edited by JosieJoe on Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 0:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To remove repetition!)

JosieJoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next