The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Manchester City back at square one?

3 posters

Go down

Are Manchester City back at square one? Empty Are Manchester City back at square one?

Post by Guest Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:14 pm

We all know it's not mathematically over but unless we see an almighty Manchester United capitulation then we are once again about to witness the Premier League trophy remaining at Old Trafford. 14 games in City's season read: won 12 and drew 2 scoring 48 goals in the process. City looked an unstoppable juggernaut up until Chelsea beat them in mid December. This may appear to sound unkind to Utd but City had it to lose and lose it they have.

So what went wrong and what's the solution? There is that old adage in football that you don't tear a whole team apart and start again after every failure but can any of you guys really not see wholesale changes again this summer? And who'll make them changes? I can't see Roberto Mancini keeping his position after a potless campaign which means Mario Ballotelli will be headed for the exit which is no bad thing because his petulance has well and truly outweighed his ability on the football field. He was an embarrassment today. Perhaps he's to blame?

The only difference between today and the moment Shiekh Mansour walked in the door is that they can now offer Champions League football to potential signings. And what about the players that are at the club now? Vincent Kompany, David Silva and Sergio Aguero (to name but three) could probably walk into another CL contender tomorrow morning. How long before the cream of the current crop become disgruntled by wavering performances and seek pastures new? Surley a settled spine is key for a championship contesting football team?

This collapse could hurt City more than we'd imagine. Of course they have the money to make the changes needed but that's no guarantee that will work. Look at Liverpool. Could City turn out to be the 'nearly man' of world football and an expensive one at that?

Utd will strengthen. Chelsea - if they get the right manager on board - will compete again. Arsenal may keep hold of Robin Van Persie and add some much needed steel to improve matters. Spurs have a decent squad and may add some extra quality and who knows? Maybe even Liverpool will roll back the years and become competitive again? Next season is going to be interesting!

So back to the matter at hand. Have Man City evolved in the past four years or is one F.A Cup pretty shabby going considering the clubs outlay on players and wages?

Are Man City back at square one?

Back to top Go down

Are Manchester City back at square one? Empty Re: Are Manchester City back at square one?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

Think it's a bit harsh on United to say that City have lost it when they have won 11 out of their last 12 games, you have to capitalise on your rivals dips in form which they have done very profressionally if not spectacularly. It was after City were put under immense pressure that they started to wilt.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Are Manchester City back at square one? Empty Re: Are Manchester City back at square one?

Post by Crimey Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:11 pm

The Manchester City side of this season is so obviously many levels above the one of last year, and the year before. As long as they can keep hold of that core of players in Hart, Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero they have a title winning side. I'd like to see Mancini stay at City, I think he's actually done a good job there, he's turned them into a side that for the most part of the season looked like the best in the league. Sure he's had a lot of money, and perhaps should have done better. Give him one more year, the players are together more, they can learn from their mistakes and the title won't be elusive.

I don't think they're anywhere near square one, get rid of Balotelli, get rid of Tevez, bring some harmony to the squad, and almost all the pieces of the jigsaw are together.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 8:27 am

The so called cream of the crop won't be disgruntled when they have a peek in their pay packet, so they won't be going anywhere. Apart from Aguero, they don't really have a world class striker. They need another center half also.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Apr 2012, 8:49 am

I wouldn't say they were back at square one, I think they have a manager who made bad decisions throughout the season, but compared to some managers he's still relatively young and its a learning curve.

Should never have stuck with Ballotelli who likes to make himself the centre of attention and then to hell with everybody else.

Despite having the money he has, has thrown money at some average players IMO (as well as some truly talented players).

Came out and admitted he has under estimated his opposition on a couple of occasions (Everton @ Goodison was one such incident)

But like I said it should be a learning curve. Even as a United fan I don't want to see him get the sack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 09 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

Came out and admitted he has under estimated his opposition on a couple of occasions (Everton @ Goodison was one such incident)

I'm still not convinced he was being honest when he said this and was trying to protect his players from criticism. Almost follow the Mourinho-way in which the manager says so much in press conferences that the criticism is levelled at him rather than at his players who can retain their confidence.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

city arent used to being in a title winning position like this, and i think they have bottled it under the massive pressure..united are used to situations like this and almost thrive under the pressure, hence why they have gone past their neighbours, and are almost certain to win the title.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down