The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto

+3
Benny1956
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
WelshDevilRob
7 posters

Go down

The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto Empty The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 21 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto

A Look Ahead to Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto - by Ryan McHugh

We are now less than a month away from one of the most anticipated fights of the year, when America’s hottest talent Floyd Mayweather collides with Puerto Rico’s Miguel Cotto at the Garden arena of the MGM Grand, Las Vegas on 5 May. For the second time in consecutive fights, Mayweather enters as the challenger as opposed to the champion. Last time out, he was fighting Victor Ortiz at 147lbs for the WBC welterweight world title, this time he goes up in weight to challenge Miguel Cotto for his 154lb WBA belt - the very same belt Cotto successfully defended last year in a bitter grudge match against arch-rival Antonio Margarito, gaining redemption in the process.

Cotto looks like a renewed fighter under new trainer Pedro Luis Diaz, who has brought out another side of his charge - in his last fight against Margarito he displayed skills rarely seen of him, putting together combinations and showing some fantastic movement that was non-existent with the Cotto of old, particulrly the way he kept spinning away from the ropes when Margarito seemed to have him backed up. This doesn’t necessarily show that Cotto has what it takes to beat Mayweather, but to me it shows that Diaz is a man who has what it takes to construct an intricate gameplan to suit Cotto, depending on the opponent. More importantly, it proves that Cotto is willing to listen and possesses the ability to box a beautiful fight rather than turning every bout into a war.

The task is a large one though, as Mayweather keeps holding onto that undefeated record and shows no signs of slipping up. Floyd has picked up an army of critics over the years, whether it be those claiming he is avoiding someone, or those who simply complain he doesn’t possess a fan-friendly style. In his past couple of fights though, he has begun to display hints that he is ready to show the public the side to Floyd Mayweather that everybody wants to see, or as Nazeem Richardson so brilliantly put it "Floyd will sprout wings and a tail and turn into a dragon". Against Shane Mosley he was absolutely dominant - he got tagged in the second round with a huge right hand, but recovered quickly and the blow seemed to infuriate him and bring out the side to him which Nazeem had predicted. For 10 long rounds he taught Shane a boxing lesson and on several occasions the fight could easily have been stopped.

The dragon once again unfurled its wings in his next fight against Victor Ortiz. Ortiz obviously had it in his head from the get-go that he was going to try to beat Mayweather with rough-house tactics, backed up by constant leading with the head and intentional head butts he was throwing. In the fourth round, Ortiz nailed Floyd with a huge headbutt that caused referee Joe Cortez to step in and deduct a point from him. If the intention was to rattle Mayweather, it succeeded,only in bringing out his ruthless side - while Joe Cortez was signalling to the time keeper and Ortiz was trying to kiss and make up, Mayweather brushed him away and landed a left-right combination that sent the champion flying to the canvas. Ortiz never looked like regaining his feet and was waved off by Joe Cortez after failing to beat the count.

The question is, can Floyd take an aggressive approach with a guy like Cotto, who now campaigns at a weight seven pounds higher than Floyd, is known as an excellent pressure fighter, and who neutralises his opponents with vicious body shots. Only time will tell what tactics Floyd will deploy.

It’s an intriguing match up for sure and one that’s more than deserved for a proud warrior like Miguel Cotto. He is guaranteed to walk away with a career-high purse, but you can bet your life that his number-one priority is a win against Mayweather - something that cannot be said for many of Floyd’s past opponents.

Here are predictions from our writers, forum members and the pros of the boxing world.

Boxing World

Callum Johnson, Professional Boxer
I see Mayweather winning a comfortable points win maybe even late stoppage I just can't see any one testing him he in a class of his own, Mayweather

John McCallum Jnr, Professional Boxer
I can't wait for this fight, I'm a big Mayweather fan. I think Cotto will be dangerous early but Mayweather will win a clear points decision. Mayweather

Rick Glaser, Professional Boxing Businessman
Mayweather, easy - speed kills and Cotto can no longer get out of the way. Cotto is on the back nine and heading toward the clubhouse during this one-sided fight. Mayweather

Read More: http://www.ringnews24.com/index.php/boxing-news/50038-the-boxing-worlds-predictions-floyd-mayweather-v-the-boxing-worlds-predictions-.html#ixzz1sgFTRAln

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto Empty Re: The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:43 pm

Great little read Robbo!! Cheers for posting. I agree with the general feeling that wide points / late stoppage for the Moneyman
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto Empty Re: The Boxing World's Predictions - Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto

Post by Benny1956 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

I disagree with the mainstream opinion on this fight. The first time I saw Mayweather fight was back in 2001 when he fought Corrales. In other words I've seen a fair bit of him and I think Cotto has a decent chance against his style. It's purely down to styles. I think most would accept the idea that the style Cotto has shown distress against are pressure fighters with a high work-rate: Margarito, Pacquiao, Torres.

IF you look at Mayweather's recent opponents, he's fought Ortiz, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton & De La Hoya. These guys either tried to box Mayweather - like Marquez did, or tried to pressure him - like Hatton and De La Hoya. But Cotto is a boxer puncher with a strong jab who will bring lateral movement to the fight. Not only will he be a moving target, he'll use his jab, box and then mix it up as and when. At least that's what I'm expecting. And if that's the case, I see a competitive fight. But if he stand in front of Mayweather, like Marquez did, I see Mayweather taking control.

IF Cotto fights the right fight, Mayweather's work-rate of 450-500 punches won't warrant a TKO/KO in my opinion. His accuracy is exceptional but I see Cotto's movement and boxer-puncher style producing what I hope is a boxing classic.

Benny1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm

Oh right. Everybody on here only started watchin mayweather in 2002 so we didnt know that
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:01 am

Benny1956 wrote:I disagree with the mainstream opinion on this fight. The first time I saw Mayweather fight was back in 2001 when he fought Corrales. In other words I've seen a fair bit of him and I think Cotto has a decent chance against his style. It's purely down to styles. I think most would accept the idea that the style Cotto has shown distress against are pressure fighters with a high work-rate: Margarito, Pacquiao, Torres.

IF you look at Mayweather's recent opponents, he's fought Ortiz, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton & De La Hoya. These guys either tried to box Mayweather - like Marquez did, or tried to pressure him - like Hatton and De La Hoya. But Cotto is a boxer puncher with a strong jab who will bring lateral movement to the fight. Not only will he be a moving target, he'll use his jab, box and then mix it up as and when. At least that's what I'm expecting. And if that's the case, I see a competitive fight. But if he stand in front of Mayweather, like Marquez did, I see Mayweather taking control.

IF Cotto fights the right fight, Mayweather's work-rate of 450-500 punches won't warrant a TKO/KO in my opinion. His accuracy is exceptional but I see Cotto's movement and boxer-puncher style producing what I hope is a boxing classic.

Cotto isn't an elusive fighter, he used lateral movement vs margarito ad still got tagged. Cotto has always been tagged easily and it won't be any different when they fight

Cotto's jab will also be negated because of Floyd's speed and longer reach. De la hoya had a better jab than cotto yet he struggled to use it effectively vs floyd when floyd adjusted.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny1956 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:28 am

I didn't claim Cotto to be elusive. You're right, he was tagged against Margarito but isn't Margarito an exception? Looking at Margarito's fights, he is known for coming forward and throwing punches - some are bound to land. Through 9-rounds, he'd thrown around 700 punches. Castillo wasn't particularly fast and he was able to get through on Mayweather in their first fight with constant pressure and a high work-rate.

As for your analysis, you'll be right if he stands in front of him. But I don't see Cotto standing in front of Mayweather. I see him using his (good but underrated) footwork to remain a moving target and fighting as a boxer-puncher. I think that's the gameplan his Cuban trainer will give him and it's the best approach against Mayweather's style, in my opinion.

No denying it's a tough fight because Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a great fighter. I just believe styles make fights.

Benny1956

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 22 Apr 2012, 1:29 am

Benny1956 wrote:I disagree with the mainstream opinion on this fight. The first time I saw Mayweather fight was back in 2001 when he fought Corrales. In other words I've seen a fair bit of him and I think Cotto has a decent chance against his style. It's purely down to styles. I think most would accept the idea that the style Cotto has shown distress against are pressure fighters with a high work-rate: Margarito, Pacquiao, Torres.

I think this is a fair assesment, and I give Cotto a far better chance than most. This is the first live, dangerous challenge he's taken in a while. The dominant style he wins does alot for his current cred, but over a long space of time he's fought a fat Marquez where Mayweather came in over the limit, a washed up Mosely and Victor Ortiz. They aren't on the current Cotto's level in my opinion. I also think Mayweather's punching power has become curiously overrated and really doubt a stoppage win for Mayweather. Given their recent fight styles we may even see Mayweather pressing the action and Cotto sticking and moving, that would be interesting.

Overall I think Mayweather will win it, but only pull out the decisive gap in the second half of the fight due to his superior stamina in the later rounds. He'll still be breathing through his nose when Cotto's breathing out his mouth.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny1956 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 1:58 am

John Bloody Wayne, I pretty much agree. Stamina. There was a momentum shift in the Margarito rematch but Cotto still appeared to have fight left in him. But like I said earlier, Margarito had thrown 700+ punches and he was literally jogging towards Cotto at times. Mayweather doesn't have that work-rate or approach. And very rarely does he divert from the 1 or 2 shots he throws at a time. I can't see 400-500 punches gassing Cotto out if he's using his feet and tying Mayweather up when he needs to. As you can tell, I'm excited for this one. Just hope it's good fight!

Benny1956

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

I was one of the few in the article that picked Cotto. Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:13 pm

Cotto doesn't stand a chance in my opinion, Mayweather struggled against Castillo some ten years ago since then he's looked imperious and hasn't looked like losing, he is beatable but a past his prime Cotto isn't the one to do it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

He may not stand a chance but I'm praying he wipes the smug smile off the Muppet's face

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down