The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Hodgson for England :-(

+28
Kenny
super_realist
Josiah Maiestas
Diggers
Mad for Chelsea
mystiroakey
TopHat24/7
GG
ReallyReal
GSC
marty2086
Hero
Smirnoffpriest
88Chris05
dublfcynwa
LivinginItaly
Hoggy_Bear
liverbnz
Beer
eirebilly
TwisT
Crimey
spencerclarke
JDizzle
Duty281
newballs
Ent
Mat
32 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Roy Hodgson for England :-( - Page 4 Empty Roy Hodgson for England :-(

Post by Mat Sun 29 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Crying or Very sad

West Bromwich Albion have today granted permission for The FA to speak with Roy Hodgson regarding the position of England Manager.

This follows an approach from FA Chairman David Bernstein to West Bromwich Albion Chairman Jeremy Peace.

David Bernstein said: "I'm grateful to Jeremy and all at West Bromwich Albion for their co-operation in allowing us to approach Roy, who I have since spoken with.

"Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set-out soon after Fabio Capello's departure.

"Further conversations will now take place with Roy and my Club England colleagues before any further announcements can be made."

Crying or Very sad

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Roy Hodgson for England :-( - Page 4 Empty Re: Roy Hodgson for England :-(

Post by mystiroakey Tue 01 May 2012, 10:07 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Problem is Mystir that Pearce doesn't want the job and has distanced himself from the job other than for Euro2012

dont buy into any of that- if the fa wanted him he would have stayed for ever

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 May 2012, 10:13 pm

To any dissenters:

England are an under-achieving national team. On paper they should be one of the best in the World as the majority of their squad play in the Champions League or for top clubs in England - the best league in the World. Let's be honest England have under-achieved in recent years:

2010 - Had more shots than the Germans and I do wonder what would have happened if Lampard's clear goal had been allowed at 2-2.

2008 - Terrible, terrible appointment and we got what we deserved.

2006 - Lost on penalties, Owen injured, Rooney half-fit.

2004 - Would have made semis but for a disgusting decision.

2002 - Played the best team in the World and lost 2-1. No shame in that although maybe Sven was too negative.

2000 - We were poor, I admit, and didn't deserve anything.

1998 - Another dodgy decision and England lose on penalties.

1996 - Gazza was a toe away from putting us in the final.

You know what, maybe it's never meant to be but when you look on paper, England should be making the semis on a regular basis and the odd final. But they don't.

IF Hodgson brings his own backroom staff in, manage the egos and pick the 11 and formation he wants, then he's halfway there. Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 May 2012, 10:16 pm

Duty281: The master of spin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 01 May 2012, 10:19 pm

You know what, maybe it's never meant to be but when you look on paper, England should be making the semis on a regular basis and the odd final. But they don't.

No they shouldn't.

As for this stick Hodgson got for his time with Liverpool, he was terribly treated and there was chaos behind the scenes at the time. Since then Liverpool have spent close to £100million and are closer to the bottom than the top league with a mighty goal difference of 5 and 5 wins from 18 at home.

He can do well if given a chance.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 01 May 2012, 10:23 pm

super_realist wrote:Is it really a step up from West Brom? England are probably a West Brom in international football.

No way, England show no way near as much commitment to playing attractive football! HOOOF!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 May 2012, 10:24 pm

Ent wrote:

No they shouldn't.

As for this stick Hodgson got for his time with Liverpool, he was terribly treated and there was chaos behind the scenes at the time. Since then Liverpool have spent close to £100million and are closer to the bottom than the top league with a mighty goal difference of 5 and 5 wins from 18 at home.

Why not? On paper, England are one of the best sides in the World. Packed with a mixture of experience and youth, the majority playing in the Champions League and one of the best strikers in the World, Wayne Rooney. On paper, England v Germany in 2010 - England had the better players and its the same situation when we played Portugal in 06 and 04. On paper, we're brilliant yet in reality we're not.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 01 May 2012, 10:25 pm

FreekShow wrote:Duty281: The master of spin.

i think you will find he just gave his own honest assemement on england

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 01 May 2012, 10:26 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Ent wrote:

No they shouldn't.

Why not? On paper, England are one of the best sides in the World. Packed with a mixture of experience and youth, the majority playing in the Champions League and one of the best strikers in the World, Wayne Rooney. On paper, England v Germany in 2010 - England had the better players and its the same situation when we played Portugal in 06 and 04. On paper, we're brilliant yet in reality we're not.

Well it isn't true is it - on paper England aren't brilliant.

Seriously last 4 tournamets, did England have one of the best 4 sides on paper/in the tournament. The answer is no and football isn't played on paper.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 May 2012, 10:38 pm

Ha ha, I love it when people say 'on paper' has there ever been a more pointless statement. The truth is there are probably a dozen teams in Europe amd south America who will be saying exactly the same thing, only most of them know what playing as a team is and actually want to be there.

Face the likelihood that England will never win anything. There are far too many good nations around with more experience, desire, teamwork and skill for England to even come close, so don't blame hodgson for any short comings blame the English/British mentality because that has far more to do with it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 01 May 2012, 10:43 pm

Well i think the FA can be blamed , not any manager mind. The FA need an overhaul because fans are not happy. Its not a problem with the british mentality at all, but a problem that the FA cant see what the problems are and cant/wont do anything to change them.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 01 May 2012, 10:48 pm

Why not? On paper, England are one of the best sides in the World.
Very Happy

Now that is funny. Difference is in the PL teams can play hoofball and don't rely on passing skills. It doesn't work when they play on the much bigger pitches.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 01 May 2012, 11:15 pm

yeah thats it - no one is allowed to pass in the pl. Roy Hodgson for England :-( - Page 4 56390

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 01 May 2012, 11:52 pm

Have you seen the Sun's front cover tomorrow taking the mic out of Hodgson's speech impediment. Disgraceful, that paper should be shut down and whoever buys it and reads it should be ashamed of themselves.

Good luck to Roy, international experience in tournament football counts for something. As a Welsh fan I will be supporting England as usual in the major tournaments, and I feel England are in a better position going forward with Hodgson at the helm than Redknapp or Capello.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 02 May 2012, 7:11 am

I don't understand where the idea that Hodgson is a 'yes' man has come from?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 7:55 am

Crimey wrote:I don't understand where the idea that Hodgson is a 'yes' man has come from?

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 02 May 2012, 8:39 am

martyr_94 wrote:Have you seen the Sun's front cover tomorrow taking the mic out of Hodgson's speech impediment. Disgraceful, that paper should be shut down and whoever buys it and reads it should be ashamed of themselves.

Good luck to Roy, international experience in tournament football counts for something. As a Welsh fan I will be supporting England as usual in the major tournaments, and I feel England are in a better position going forward with Hodgson at the helm than Redknapp or Capello.

Yep just seen it:

Bwing on the Euwos! Roy Hodgson gets England job!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 May 2012, 8:46 am

i think people that buy the sun should be 'shut down'.

free speech is fine- just dont read trash.What did you honestly expect.

The guy is a joke figure to many.

I am happy to give him a chance and back him mind.

come on ROY

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 02 May 2012, 8:53 am

Swansea City paid the FA because they don't want Rodgers going to Spurs
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 02 May 2012, 11:44 am

The sun needed an attention grabbing headline given what was said about their owner yesterday.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 May 2012, 12:10 pm

Do any of you buy the sun?. personally i just read the net and mainly the bbc for news- if i like the story or want to know more i read into it elsewhere- i do wonder who these people are that actually buy the sun- when i worked in london i do admit to reading the free metro- but thats it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 02 May 2012, 3:19 pm

The free metro is getting a bit ridiculous though as it's owned (and editored) by the Daily Mail.

But it is crazy the amount of people that believe the Sun - but don't laugh Mystiroakey, the writings of the Sun has decided the last 4 (at least) Election Campaigns - so if the Sun are going to be saying Hodgson can't manage England coz he's a lisping simpleton then I give him 2 months in the job...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 May 2012, 3:45 pm

The sun certainly love abit of propaganda and yes i believe it works on the whole.
Anyway- before all of our minds get brainwashed by the media.. what do we think would be a success in this euros for hodgson.

A success for me would be to get the boys playing some nice stuff and really looking like there are giving 110% - rather than giving a quarter or semi place as being the defining reason to attribute success!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 02 May 2012, 3:47 pm

All tabloids and media outlets are biased anyway, some just more extreme. There won't be a day when tabloids are honest and fair. Hodgson probably doesn't read that crrap anyway. Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 May 2012, 4:23 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The sun certainly love abit of propaganda and yes i believe it works on the whole.
Anyway- before all of our minds get brainwashed by the media.. what do we think would be a success in this euros for hodgson.

A success for me would be to get the boys playing some nice stuff and really looking like there are giving 110% - rather than giving a quarter or semi place as being the defining reason to attribute success!

Yes, good football and pride, unlike the last two world cups.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 02 May 2012, 4:27 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:All tabloids and media outlets are biased anyway, some just more extreme. There won't be a day when tabloids are honest and fair. Hodgson probably doesn't read that crrap anyway. Very Happy

He won't want to be reading Harry's next sun article anyway.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 02 May 2012, 4:58 pm

Stella wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:The sun certainly love abit of propaganda and yes i believe it works on the whole.

Yes, good football and pride, unlike the last two world cups.

Though he has got the same player pool to chose from Shocked

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 02 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Swansea City paid the FA because they don't want Rodgers going to Spurs
Rogers wouldn't degrade himself by joining that mob anyway.. Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 02 May 2012, 8:41 pm

Id like to say shocking what the sun went with for their headline but nothing they do shocks me anymore.

Anyhow you can check out my view on the Hodgson appointment at my blog below:

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com/

or

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.blogspot.com

A good appointment as far as im concerned. Although I will admit Redknapp was my preference. Feel free to comment on the blog everyone and hope you enjoy the read.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 03 May 2012, 2:21 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Id like to say shocking what the sun went with for their headline but nothing they do shocks me anymore.

Anyhow you can check out my view on the Hodgson appointment at my blog below:

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com/

or

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.blogspot.com

A good appointment as far as im concerned. Although I will admit Redknapp was my preference. Feel free to comment on the blog everyone and hope you enjoy the read.

A well written piece, very positive of Hodgson but I can see where you're coming from

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 03 May 2012, 5:23 pm

Thanks very much Smirnoff. What are your views on the appointment?..

Just out of interest can I ask which of the sites you went too? Cheers

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 04 May 2012, 3:10 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Thanks very much Smirnoff. What are your views on the appointment?..

Just out of interest can I ask which of the sites you went too? Cheers

I think with the way English football is that it matters little who gets the job as their unlikely to get as far in major competitions as the press/some fans expect and are unlikely to be given the time to develop the team properly.

Saying that I'm not a fan of Redknapp and believe he bankrupts every club he's at and as a result does much better than previous managers as he spends a huge amount more money than the previous managers were allowed. That wouldn't matter at international level, and I feel he'll be lost.
I think Hodgson is a decent appointment, with lots of experience and has been around but as he's not a 'big' name, the press won't give him a chance (the Sun are already trying to turn him into a comedy figure) and will always say Redknapp would have done better, the players don't seemed as thrilled with him, and as a result I don't think he'll win over the fans and won't be given the time to make the changes he wants to make.
I think he could be a very good manager for England but he won't have the chance, and no matter what no manager would be able to compete with the English presses unrealistic expectations.

*EDIT - Should note that as the FA/Fans/Press wanted an English manager, then Hodgson was the best choice *

Last edited by Smirnoffpriest on Fri 04 May 2012, 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4