The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidana vs Morales

+6
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Billy Shears
azania
TRUSSMAN66
BALTIMORA
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
10 posters

Go down

Maidana vs Morales Empty Maidana vs Morales

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Apr 2011, 8:51 pm

Don't like this fight or the fact it's for a world title but it's happening. Maidana is a one dimensional fighter just walks forward and throws big bombs and tries to wear his opponent down. In his prime Morales was in a different league from Maidana and would have outboxed him for 12 rounds easily. He isn't the same Morales anymore and is in against a genuine puncher.
My heart says Morales but my head says he has next to no chance and Maidana to win by KO in 5.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Maidana vs Morales Empty Re: Maidana vs Morales

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 03 Apr 2011, 8:56 pm

Agreed. Pointless fight for a non-title. Maidana's team should be ashamed with themselves for taking it. No-win situation for Maidana.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:01 pm

It's a win win situation for Maidana...

Morales sells the fight and gives Maidana a big purse, quality exposure and provides a much more inadequate challenge than he would a few years ago..

Crazy to say it's a no win situation..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's a win win situation for Maidana...

Morales sells the fight and gives Maidana a big purse, quality exposure and provides a much more inadequate challenge than he would a few years ago..

How do you even figure that?!? If Maidana wins, all he's done is beaten an old, blown-up and past-it featherweight/super featherweight. If he loses, then what was all the fuss about him for when he can't even beat the aforementioned? No-win.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:09 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's a win win situation for Maidana...

How do you even figure that?!? If Maidana wins, all he's done is beaten an old, blown-up and past-it featherweight/super featherweight. If he loses, then what was all the fuss about him for when he can't even beat the aforementioned? No-win.

Truss is absolutely correct. Morales is a huge name and will gibe Maidana more exposure that if he fought Carlos Noname. Plus he gets more Benjamins.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:13 pm

It's a fight which proves absolutely zip! It's Khan-Barrera II.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:16 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:It's a fight which proves absolutely zip! It's Khan-Barrera II.

Not the point. It gives Maidana more exposure in USA plus more money.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:17 pm

Funny thing is Balti..Boxers generally liked to be well paid for their jobs...They want security for the future and the fact he's fighting a legend he knows he can beat for alot of money...the fact it will be shown state-wide to enhance his appeal and the fact he isn't fighting Joe bloggs for peanuts instead tells me it's a win win situation..

Fighters want three things...exposure, money and a victory.....He'll get all three..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:22 pm

There are other, better and more valid fights which would do that. The fact he's facing a legend in a fight he shouldn't lose does nothing for the sport, adds nothing to his record, and I'm not sure how many people will actually want to see it. Is it PPV?

In summary Truss, the exposure will simply show him beating a faded legend, the money won't be mega bucks, and the victory is absolutely meaningless when taken in context.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:24 pm

His job is to provide for himself and his family........

Maidana can't sell on his own.....There is no market for him....Needs a name to make decent money...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:His job is to provide for himself and his family........

Maidana can't sell on his own.....There is no market for him....Needs a name to make decent money...

Maybe if he beat some top contenders..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:36 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:His job is to provide for himself and his family........

Maybe if he beat some top contenders..?

He's just had a difficult world title tilt and previously fought a top contender. He is entitled to a gimme fight. Luckily for him, this fight also provides him more exposure and more money. One which he will win. Why risk his ranking at this stage for peanuts?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:53 pm

It's a great fight for Maidana more cash than he would normally earn and the chance to KO a legend and a bigger name than anyone else he could have fought.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Sun 03 Apr 2011, 10:37 pm

Agree with TRUSS here, Morales is a big name, he'll sell and it will look good - like it or not. Danny Williams fighting Vitali is a case in point.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 04 Apr 2011, 12:01 am

prettyboy1304 wrote:Don't like this fight or the fact it's for a world title but it's happening. Maidana is a one dimensional fighter just walks forward and throws big bombs and tries to wear his opponent down. In his prime Morales was in a different league from Maidana and would have outboxed him for 12 rounds easily. He isn't the same Morales anymore and is in against a genuine puncher.
My heart says Morales but my head says he has next to no chance and Maidana to win by KO in 5.

Let's not go overboard here. Yes morales was a great fighter in his day, but to say he'd totally outbox maidana for 12 rounds due to maidana being too one dimensional is a bit OTT. Let's not forget morales was very much a come forward fighter who had a tendency to be a bit dimensional himself at times, which allowed a technically superior fighter like Barrera to outbox him. He also regularly failed to employ a plan-b due to fighting with his heart on his sleeve - very much like maidana. And maidana isn't as crude as some make out, yes he's pedestrian but he's relentless, applies effective pressure and is a good inside fighter, not too mention a big puncher.

Like most fans I'm not keen on this fight. Its clear morales is shot, and for a guy that never really imposed himself physically above feather I don't see how fighting a strong opponent at 140lb is gonna do him any favours. Morales was never the hardest to hit even in his heyday, and I imagine maidana will find him easy enough and when he does it's just a matter of time for the smaller, older man. Maidana by ko in 6. From what I hear morales is skint which is why he's taking these risks, which is a shame.

Katsidas v Guerrero on the undercard should be a cracker though.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Mon 04 Apr 2011, 4:30 am

Maidana wins this easily and it might even be embarassing, sadly.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:38 am

prettyboy1304 wrote:Don't like this fight or the fact it's for a world title......
It's not for a world title. It's for the WBA interim title which is about the 7th highest ranked WBA belt available.

I have this fantasy that Erik has been training like a madman and has found new inspiration for this fight. He's been completely rejuvenated and turns in a performance on a par with Morales/Barrera III.

I know it's never gonna happen. But I love Erik. I want to believe.

STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon 04 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

I hope this doesn't happen - Morales will be KO'd by Maidina's heavy hands. In his prime Morales would have schooled Maidina, but those days are long gone. Morales is a legend of the sport and should call it a day before he becomes a Roy Jones type character in the game.

Fitness Challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2011, 9:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Funny thing is Balti..Boxers generally liked to be well paid for their jobs...They want security for the future and the fact he's fighting a legend he knows he can beat for alot of money...the fact it will be shown state-wide to enhance his appeal and the fact he isn't fighting Joe bloggs for peanuts instead tells me it's a win win situation..

Fighters want three things...exposure, money and a victory.....He'll get all three..

Spot on, it's a perfect fight for Maidana at this time.

He went in hard against Khan and came up just short, now he gets a big fight (which I don't agree with either by the way but that's not the point), big money and keeps his name around - as proven by this very thread.

Unless the shock result happens and he actually loses, then he will get another more 'live' fight soon.

The real people to be ashamed of themselves are Morales' team and the people promoting this. I'd love him to win but surely it can't happen, can it???

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 04 Apr 2011, 9:34 pm

I wish it could but I just can't see it. The fact it's against Maidana who is a real puncher and Morales in his prime wasn't the hardest to hit is a concern. Morales is a legend but I'm worried he might get hurt pretty badly.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2011, 10:46 pm

It's been so long since he was anywhere near his best, it's absurd he's even back, the man is a great and gave his everything in every fight. Even back at 30 he was an old 30 because of the way he fought. It could be very sad to see!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 04 Apr 2011, 10:54 pm

I watched him against Willy Limond in Mexico he was very lucky it was at altitude. The altitude took it out of Limond and the experienced Morales went to his body. IMO if this fight had happened in Britain or the U.S Limond would have won and he is no more than a domestic level fighter.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WDR Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:16 pm

I only see one winner like most and thats Maidana, the fresher, younger fighter.
Maidana is abit predictable and crude so I can see this going quite a few rounds but Maidana will wear down the old warrior sometime around the 9th round.

WDR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down