The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook - Jones...July 7...IBF title eliminator...

+15
Fists of Fury
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Josef K.
BallchinianMuffwig
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
eddyfightfan
Steffan
Rowley
milkyboy
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Jimmy Moz
azania
manos de piedra
The Sweet Science UK
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brook - Jones...July 7...IBF title eliminator... Empty Brook - Jones...July 7...IBF title eliminator...

Post by The Sweet Science UK Thu May 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Kell Brook will face off against Carson Jones at Sheffield’s Motorpoint Arena on July 7 in an IBF title eliminator.

Jones, ranked 3rd by the IBF, is 25 and his record currently stands at 34 wins (24 via KO), 8 losses (2 via KO) and 2 draws.The winner will face off against the IBF champion, which will be decided when Mike Jones faces Randall Bailey on June 9th.

Read the rest at:

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/brook-set-for-jones-test/

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Brook - Jones...July 7...IBF title eliminator... Empty Re: Brook - Jones...July 7...IBF title eliminator...

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Uninspiring but if its an eliminator then I guess you cnt blame them for taking it. It should set up a decent fight for the IBF title later in the year or next year at some point presuming Mike Jones beats Bailey.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Brook - Jones...July 7...IBF title eliminator... Empty Re: Brook - Jones...July 7...IBF title eliminator...

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 pm

What's Carson Jones like?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Thu May 10, 2012 7:26 pm

It's a tough one.

It seems as though they want to bring the big names to Sheffield but Brook doesn't really offer anything.

If he can come through this (which I fully expect him to) and the win the title, then at least he has some power and a bit of a bargaining chip.

At the minute, he's very high-risk low-reward.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Thu May 10, 2012 7:27 pm

alma wrote:Think I posted this a while ago. Jones has a bizarre record for one so young

Apologies.

Yeh it's an odd record. His manager puts it down to being miss-managed early in his career. Surprised he's ranked 3rd by the IBF though.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu May 10, 2012 7:56 pm

I seen the title of this article and for a minute there I actually thought Kell was going to fight a meaningful opponent in Mike Jones but turns out it's just another tomato can in Sheffield.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu May 10, 2012 7:59 pm

I guess he's better than Hatton and N'dou but not by much.

If the winner does actually fight the jones-bailey winner (doubt it) than it seems a good choice. Jones will probably win, and a win for brook over jones will see his stock rise.

If he gets past both then the likes of khan, Guerrero, Ortiz, Berto, Alexander , malignaggi and Bradley all become more realistic of happening

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Can't see many of those names going to Sheffield. Meadowhall is not that attractive.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 pm

oh come on az... meadowhall is one of the best shopping centres in sheffield.

you might as well shop, be more interesting than the fight

the next time eddie hearn promises a big name for brook, i'll expect to see he's fighting mary elizabeth mastrantonio

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 pm

milkyboy wrote:oh come on az... meadowhall is one of the best shopping centres in sheffield.

you might as well shop, be more interesting than the fight

the next time eddie hearn promises a big name for brook, i'll expect to see he's fighting mary elizabeth mastrantonio

I wouldn't mind getting in the ring with her!! She looked extra hot on Scarface. Is the Leadmill still going on?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 pm

azania wrote:Is the Leadmill still going on?

Yes

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu May 10, 2012 8:50 pm

milkyboy wrote:the next time eddie hearn promises a big name for brook, i'll expect to see he's fighting mary elizabeth mastrantonio
'I want Kell Brook. I want Kell Brook. Tell Kell Brook...Im coming for him'
Spoiler:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 8:50 pm

rowley wrote:
azania wrote:Is the Leadmill still going on?

Yes

Cripes! I remember Sheffield on a University trip and getting smashed at the leadmill. The price of beer was 50% cheaper than in London. Could hardly understand what you folks say though. I needed a translator.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu May 10, 2012 8:53 pm

i can see the leadmill from my window, its a Poopie hole. cant blame brook for taking eliminator, stepping stone to greater things. never seen the other guy, does he stand a chance?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 10, 2012 8:53 pm

the leadmill, now that takes me back to some very messy nights

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm

milkyboy wrote:the leadmill, now that takes me back to some very messy nights

Too much information mate. Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu May 10, 2012 9:01 pm

I never went to the Leadmill when my brother lived in Sheffield. Went in great pub up by Broomhill which let you take your own food in and they supplied the cutlery, plates and condiments with fish and chips from the local shop Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 pm

azania wrote:

kebab wrappers all over the house

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu May 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes, yes everyone loves Yorkshire who can blame you?

Listen guys this isn't the greatest fight ever but realistically the European Champion ain't gonna be bringing over the likes of Ortiz and Berto, but its an eliminator with a fantastic fight with the proper Jones after. Don't think this is an awful fight either he's facing a fringe world level opposition whilst he is the European champion. Can't complain all that much....

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 10, 2012 9:51 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Yes, yes everyone loves Yorkshire who can blame you?

Listen guys this isn't the greatest fight ever but realistically the European Champion ain't gonna be bringing over the likes of Ortiz and Berto, but its an eliminator with a fantastic fight with the proper Jones after. Don't think this is an awful fight either he's facing a fringe world level opposition whilst he is the European champion. Can't complain all that much....

fringe level as in hairdresser

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 pm

milkyboy wrote:fringe level as in hairdresser
Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu May 10, 2012 9:54 pm

It's a decent fight but nothing more, definitely a step in the right direction after Hatton though.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 10:05 pm

milkyboy wrote:
azania wrote:

kebab wrappers all over the house

If you say so mate. OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Thu May 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Proksa-Hope rematch on the undercard...I "hope" Proksa employs a bit of defence and lays him out this time...

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Thu May 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Leadmill is still 80p for a bottle on a monday

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 am

Still dont believe a world title shot will follow.

Hearn has to beef this fight up in a certain way because the opponent isn't a top name like he said he would get. By slipping "world title eliminator" into the promo then most people forget that.

Let's remember another fighter in his stable Paul "useless..sorry Dudey" McCloskey.

Look up what his fight against a "limited" opponent in Prescott was billed as......yes, a WBA eliminator. He won the fight and as far as I remember last week McCloskey got shown up in a Fight which definatley wasn't a WBA world title fight. Funnily enough the fight last week was being promoted as a fight-off to fight Marquez. I guarantee Corley doesn't fight Marquez.

So people shouldn't get too excited about Brooks next fight after this one. Hearn in my opinion will do the same as he did/does with McCloskey and keep saying that "nobody wants to fight him" "we offered them this to come and fight". He needs to sign for a US promoter and ditch Sheffield for now. Do what Khan did.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 am

To defend Hearn a little it does appear a genuine offer was made to Alexander who is a proper fighter, it was turned down. Agree with the general point that Hearn can definitely not get away with anything other than a world title shot after this one but given he managed to get Bute to come to Nottingham for Froch am prepared to give him a bit of leeway and hope he can deliver.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 am

You swine, I truly believed it was Brook v Mike Jones when I read that! It sounded too good to be true, and it was. Even so, not a bad move as long as the next fight is definitely Mike Jones. Not sure I should hold my breath...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Still dont believe a world title shot will follow.

Hearn has to beef this fight up in a certain way because the opponent isn't a top name like he said he would get. By slipping "world title eliminator" into the promo then most people forget that.

Let's remember another fighter in his stable Paul "useless..sorry Dudey" McCloskey.

Look up what his fight against a "limited" opponent in Prescott was billed as......yes, a WBA eliminator. He won the fight and as far as I remember last week McCloskey got shown up in a Fight which definatley wasn't a WBA world title fight. Funnily enough the fight last week was being promoted as a fight-off to fight Marquez. I guarantee Corley doesn't fight Marquez.

So people shouldn't get too excited about Brooks next fight after this one. Hearn in my opinion will do the same as he did/does with McCloskey and keep saying that "nobody wants to fight him" "we offered them this to come and fight". He needs to sign for a US promoter and ditch Sheffield for now. Do what Khan did.

Bredis was robbed. And also Corley was on the way to being robbed until IJL did what he always does.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 11, 2012 10:58 am

azania wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Still dont believe a world title shot will follow.

Bredis was robbed. And also Corley was on the way to being robbed until IJL did what he always does.

Seems like a blessing in disguise now doesn't it. Actually doing the wrong thing for the right reason!

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri May 11, 2012 11:46 am

One potential problem I would forsee is the actual timeframe involved between winning the eliminator and actually getting the shot.

I presume Mike Jones will beat Bailey for the IBF title but after that what? He will probably a want a voluntary defence and might not be in any rush to face Brook. Meanwhile what does Brook do in the interim? What kind of fights does he look at? It could be a while before he actually gets his shot.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 11, 2012 11:52 am

manos de piedra wrote:One potential problem I would forsee is the actual timeframe involved between winning the eliminator and actually getting the shot.

I presume Mike Jones will beat Bailey for the IBF title but after that what? He will probably a want a voluntary defence and might not be in any rush to face Brook. Meanwhile what does Brook do in the interim? What kind of fights does he look at? It could be a while before he actually gets his shot.

Paulie is available.

But I see brook being in the "who needs him" category. He brings little to the table. Typical high risk low reward fighter. He needs to turn up the style a little. Get rid of Jones in style (cant do that if the ref is IJL) or sell himself better.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri May 11, 2012 11:56 am

azania wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:One potential problem I would forsee is the actual timeframe involved between winning the eliminator and actually getting the shot.

Paulie is available.

But I see brook being in the "who needs him" category. He brings little to the table. Typical high risk low reward fighter. He needs to turn up the style a little. Get rid of Jones in style (cant do that if the ref is IJL) or sell himself better.

Malignaggi looks set to face Alexander in August according to most reports. Plus hes a world champion himself. If Brook was going to fight Paulie he may aswell ditch the eliminator and just go after the WBA strap. Suspect Alexander would beat Malignaggi but assuming Brook wins the eliminator hes could be stuck in limbo waiting for his shot.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri May 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Bredis was robbed. And also Corley was on the way to being robbed until IJL did what he always does

--------------

I had prescott as a winner and had corley up on the cards too. What has that got to go with anything I just said Az? World title eliminater, mccloskey offically got the win. Didn't get a world title shot though like hearn told everyone was going to happen. And corley won, but I'll give you a thousand pounds if you see Marquez vs corley next like Hearn said would happen of the winner of McCloskey/Corley. Maybe it was me mentioning Khans name that got your brain a little flustered to write a pointless post once again. Wink
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm

No slight on Mac. More of a dig at british judging and IJL. And we laugh at Germans.

And I agree. Hearn talks better than he delivers. If Corley fights Marquez next I'll come live in Belfast and sip some guiness with you (and argue all day long).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Uninspiring fight imo. I like brook but he needs to step it up a level. Understand it's an eliminator but why promise an exciting next opponent? Brooks going sideways.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri May 11, 2012 1:38 pm

You do want to be forgiving but there is a sneaking suspicion Hearn has realised he can draw 10,000 for Brook in Sheffield and so is happy to milk it for as long as folk are willing to shell out for it, similar to what Frank did with Hatton in his WBU days. I am a little biased to Kell as he is a Sheffield lad but think after this fight it is definitely time to deliver, no excuses.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 pm

It will be intersting to see if he can draw 10,000 people for a fight with Carson Jones though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Part of me hopes not manos, because it was only once the gates at the MEN started to fall that Warren let Ricky off the leash. For what it is worth they will be two short of the previous 10,000 as me and TSMR will not be going so only 9,998 to go.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm

No probs Az, I know a fella who make good fake IDs, I used to get them all those seasons ago when I was a young tearaway. I'll get ya one made up. Unfortunately most bars won't let you in unless your over 18. Smile

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:No probs Az, I know a fella who make good fake IDs, I used to get them all those seasons ago when I was a young tearaway. I'll get ya one made up. Unfortunately most bars won't let you in unless your over 18. Smile

Hug Laugh

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Fri May 11, 2012 11:31 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:

Paulie is available.

Malignaggi looks set to face Alexander in August according to most reports. Plus hes a world champion himself. If Brook was going to fight Paulie he may aswell ditch the eliminator and just go after the WBA strap. Suspect Alexander would beat Malignaggi but assuming Brook wins the eliminator hes could be stuck in limbo waiting for his shot.

Jones is on the run of 8 straight knockouts, so it will be a test. Finally in a ideal world Kell will meet the winner of hard hitting Randall Bailey (42-7, 36 K.O’s) and up and coming Mike ‘Machine Gun’ Jones (26-0, 19 K.O’s). His promoter Eddie Hearns is rushing calling out Alexander and Khan. Id give Kell a couple more fights and im sure he will be ready.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon May 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Im booking flights and travel online here and have never been to Sheffield. So can someone tell me where is the best place to get dropped off if I am getting the coach from Leeds to Sheffield. The national express has the stops as:

Greenhill
Meadowhall
Don Valley Bowl

Any help with this would be great lads
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon May 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Reborn, if you get off at Don Valley bowl you are pretty much at the arena, there is a cinema and entertainment place across the road from the Arena with the usual places to eat (Frankie and Benny's, Nando's etc) there is also a pub called Arena Square within walking distance of your drop off point that does food mate.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Don't know a lot about the guy but he sure is active. 5 fights last year, 6 the year before and 9 in 2009. He's a busy man which is nice to see.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon May 14, 2012 1:08 pm

rowley wrote:Frankie and Benny's, Nando's..... pub called Arena Square that does food mate.

I bet TSMR can't believe her luck being married to you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon May 14, 2012 1:18 pm

rowley wrote:Reborn, if you get off at Don Valley bowl you are pretty much at the arena, there is a cinema and entertainment place across the road from the Arena with the usual places to eat (Frankie and Benny's, Nando's etc) there is also a pub called Arena Square within walking distance of your drop off point that does food mate.

Gentleman!

Just booked the fight ticket and flights. Going to stay at SLEEP B&B in Scotland Street, have no idea where it is but should be an adventure trying to get around. Not used to this lone travelling lark. Something to look forward too now.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon May 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
rowley wrote:Frankie and Benny's, Nando's..... pub called Arena Square that does food mate.

I bet TSMR can't believe her luck being married to you.

You seem to have forgotten what I have pulled out of the bag for the 10th anniversary in a couple of months Tina, when I need to raise my game I have it in my locker to do so, also should point out Sheffield Arena is in Attercliffe, as anyone who is familar with the area will attest Michelin starred restaurants are not exactly ten a penny in the area.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 pm

rowley wrote:
You seem to have forgotten what I have pulled out of the bag for the 10th anniversary in a couple of months Tina, when I need to raise my game I have it in my locker to do so, also should point out Sheffield Arena is in Attercliffe, as anyone who is familar with the area will attest Michelin starred restaurants are not exactly ten a penny in the area.

Only been to Sheffield once, for the Hamed - Badillo fight and some git sent us the wrong way from our hotel. It could have been you for all I know.

I remember that you are coming to a proper city like Chester to sample some real culinary excellence later in the year.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 14, 2012 1:26 pm

PPVxHOTTY wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:

Paulie is available.

Jones is on the run of 8 straight knockouts, so it will be a test. Finally in a ideal world Kell will meet the winner of hard hitting Randall Bailey (42-7, 36 K.O’s) and up and coming Mike ‘Machine Gun’ Jones (26-0, 19 K.O’s). His promoter Eddie Hearns is rushing calling out Alexander and Khan. Id give Kell a couple more fights and im sure he will be ready.

Im not convinced this Carson Jones guy will be a test to be honest. Not too familiar with him at all and have heard his patchy record being blamed on bad career management early on but even accounting for that he doesnt really appear to have beaten anyone. The only guys Im familiar with that hes beaten have been Michael Clarke - a washed up lightweight and Said Ouali whos only average really. The way these eliminators work sometimes a fighter can be waiting quite a while before they get actually get a shot, especially if the champion is in no rush to face them.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next