The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the worst professional player you've ever seen?

+63
TJ1
Pot Hale
LeinsterFan4life
Cotupina187
21st Century Schizoid Man
propdavid_london
Sgt_Pooly
yappysnap
Exiledinborders
HERSH
dgttaylor
InjuredYetAgain
drsambo1928
dragonbreath
dublin_dave
Artful_Dodger
twoeightnine
pharmachris
dummy_half
sirtidychris
Glas a du
PerryGee
fa0019
cardiffcider
LondonTiger
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
tigerleghorn
idris
Cari
Scoped
wales606
Leedscowboys
Cryptoyourisan
thebluesmancometh
Comfort
eirebilly
kiakahaaotearoa
Mickado
George Carlin
beshocked
profitius
nganboy
EnglishReign
debaters1
MrsP
Shifty
red_stag
geoff998rugby
Bathite
RubyGuby
Looseheaded
Gunner
bedfordwelsh
rodders
mckay1402
Rory_Gallagher
GunsGerms
bathmad
LordDowlais
Portnoy
chewed_mintie
Biltong
MonkeyOwain12
67 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who is the worst professional player you've ever seen? Empty Who is the worst professional player you've ever seen?

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 15 May 2012, 10:21 am

Whilst commenting on another thread about Aussie call-ups for the upcoming Wales tour, I stated that Tom Carter was one of the worst players that I have ever seen...this thought got me in to many a conversations through the day (many mates agreeing with Carter, all mainly Waratah fans) and I was thinking of who else I felt was pants...

So...

Tom Carter
Matt Cardey
Derwyn Jones

So, who are yours? Who are the players that you dreaded seeing in your team's lineup? Or who are the one's you were over the moon with seeing in the opposition's?

Who has been the worst professional rugby player you've ever seen?

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Who is the worst professional player you've ever seen? Empty Re: Who is the worst professional player you've ever seen?

Post by Biltong Tue 15 May 2012, 10:26 am

Lawrence Sepaka, from SA. Couldn't run 2 meters without falling over, couldn't scrum against a blow up doll, and yet were capped as a springbok.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Who is the worst professional player you've ever seen? Empty Re: Who is the worst professional player you've ever seen?

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 15 May 2012, 10:34 am

Mal Arnold (Former Crusaders and Hurricanes Flyhalf) raises an eyebrow.....once upon a time was backup to Andrew Merhtens

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 15 May 2012, 11:42 am

Oh god, I do remember Sephaka...

Mates of mine suggested Earl Rose (for being 90% padding) and Jonathan webb

As well as a mate of ours which he didn't find funny...we did!

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 15 May 2012, 12:06 pm

I had Earl rose all typed and ready to go, but then I remembered Sephaka.

A fat tub of lard with no place on the rugby field, at least Rose had his 15 minutes of fame.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 15 May 2012, 12:48 pm

For England:
Busby Barkley (right hon member for Bath) never had international credentials.
JSD also never had.
Andy Goode never had

And Brad Barrtt currently is a bed blocker.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 15 May 2012, 12:54 pm

Will James is another one from Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Tue 15 May 2012, 2:34 pm

Chris Patterson Doh

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 2:37 pm

Brian Smith for Ireland was pretty bad.

Brendan Laney for Scotland?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 15 May 2012, 2:45 pm

I think the more Kidney persists with starting D'Arcy, in a completely useless irish setup with zero game plan, he is going to be known more for his absolutely dire recent performances than his brilliant showings in his earlier career. A bit sad really.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 3:07 pm

Darcy isn't the problem. He has 69 international caps including one for the lions. Not possible if you are no good. He is exceptionally professional. The problem is the Irish management has no clue how to get the best out of the talent they have at their disposal. Granted he is not the player he once was but has a lot to offer to the right coach.

Darcy is the last schoolboy while still in school to be called up to the senior team. He had prodigious talent when 18.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 15 May 2012, 3:12 pm

Martyn Madden...big lad but not much use for anything other than getting in the way. Derwyn is probably the worst I've seen though. Signed for Banbury and never even turned up to play
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 15 May 2012, 3:13 pm

D'Arcy wasn't in any way a bad (in fact he was a good ) international player. He is now. But he shouldn't even has his name on this thread. Not even remotely.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 15 May 2012, 3:28 pm

D'arcy was sensational when he came on the scene in 2004. Interspersed with injuries and loss of form hes had some real purple periods where hes been absolutely top class. Hes been player of the 6N twice I think 2004 and 2007 and has outshone BOD for periods during his career.

He's a shadow of his old self but definitely doesn't deserve a mention here.

Last edited by rodders on Tue 15 May 2012, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 May 2012, 3:28 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Will James is another one from Wales.

Yeah I think thats the most recent case but there have been a few over the years and through our dark dark periods of the 90s
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 15 May 2012, 3:39 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:Brian Smith for Ireland was pretty bad.

Brendan Laney for Scotland?

Dont be dissing "Chainsaw Laney" Leinsterbaby.
You never new what u were gonna get from Chainsaw but it was always 100%
Laney has provided me with some of my best and worst rugby memories!
Blame the Scottish RU and selectors who decided he was a test player.
They knew (or should have known!)what they were getting themselves into!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 15 May 2012, 3:40 pm

Sam Norton Knight... Why Blues why!?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 15 May 2012, 3:50 pm

Devin Toner - surely it wont last long, I think Arwel Thomas could shove him back in a tackle thumbsup

C'mon my green and red friends I'm waiting for the barrage thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 15 May 2012, 3:54 pm

Dan Lydiate. The rugby equivilant of Kaiser Soze...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 3:55 pm

Was never a big Justin Bishop fan though he probably wasnt te worst.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 3:57 pm

Toner should be better than he is. He is colossus of a man with shovels for hands yet at times as physical as Rog. He is improving at least.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 15 May 2012, 3:58 pm

He will first of all need to improve to get as physical as ROG thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 15 May 2012, 4:43 pm

rodders wrote:D'arcy was sensational when he came on the scene in 2004. Interspersed with injuries and loss of form hes had some real purple periods where hes been absolutely top class. Hes been player of the 6N twice I think 2004 and 2007 and has outshone BOD for periods during his career.

He's a shadow of his old self but definitely doesn't deserve a mention here.

Rodders, he used to be one of my favourite players. But surely he must be the worst centre in world rugby at this point in time. Like I said, his ship has sailed and he really shouldn't be playing, but he is. He has been pretty embarrassing for Ireland recently.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 15 May 2012, 4:45 pm

Ayoola Erinle anyone?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 15 May 2012, 4:46 pm

Andy Kershaw - if any one outside Ulster remembers him I'm seriously impressed. In fact I would be impressed by any Ulster supporter who has seen him play

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 4:51 pm

Do you mean worst International centre? Surely he is better than Alberto Sgarbi or Nick deLuca. I would say he is the worst utilised centre aound. He definitely isnt as good as he used to be but if he can preform very well in the eineken cup then he cant be bad. Most Irish backs look average when playing for Ireland at the moment.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 15 May 2012, 4:54 pm

Tony Buckley - he is turning 32 years of age in a few months and is still just a big fat mess.

A bad work ethic, lacks the basics of a prop, a guy who was lucky enough to have a big build and ended up as a rugby player as a result.

Had he been born in any other country in the world bar Ireland at a time we needed props he would have made it to nothing.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 4:57 pm

red_stag wrote:Tony Buckley - he is turning 32 years of age in a few months and is still just a big fat mess.

A bad work ethic, lacks the basics of a prop, a guy who was lucky enough to have a big build and ended up as a rugby player as a result.

Had he been born in any other country in the world bar Ireland at a time we needed props he would have made it to nothing.

was gonna say buckley but I think he was ok in the loose and may have been the victim of poor coaching in terms of scrummaging. cant argue with much of what you say.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 15 May 2012, 4:58 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Rodders, he used to be one of my favourite players. But surely he must be the worst centre in world rugby at this point in time.

Nah ...that's Fergus McFadden..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 15 May 2012, 5:00 pm

Richard Fussell, he is the rugby equivalent of David James, or Calamity James the old Liverpool goal keeper, you just never know where the next cóck up is coming from with him.

I panic every time he is in the Ospreys team.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 15 May 2012, 5:01 pm

Vainikola? Not only a poor player but 'served' most of his time as an EQed player at an RL club. Erm
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 15 May 2012, 5:04 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:
red_stag wrote:Tony Buckley - he is turning 32 years of age in a few months and is still just a big fat mess.

was gonna say buckley but I think he was ok in the loose and may have been the victim of poor coaching in terms of scrummaging. cant argue with much of what you say.

One of the biggest myths around. He was capable (through sheer size) of doing one good thing per match. Sometimes it worked, more often that not it didnt.

But he got a few tries from 1m out and made one hit on Simon Shaw that earned plaudits. But he was far from a good player in the loose - he hadnt the fitness.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 15 May 2012, 5:23 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Andy Kershaw - if any one outside Ulster remembers him I'm seriously impressed. In fact I would be impressed by any Ulster supporter who has seen him play

Headscratch

Wasn't he a radio DJ?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:54 pm

Ah Stag, Mushy threw Shaw around like a rag doll in Mycombe one time, worth losing the match to see that in itself. And while we were mullered last time in NZ, his off load for BOD's try would have had every Leinster fan in collective orgasm had it been D'Arcy. And a huge hit on Richie to boot, not to mention the fact that he dealt pretty well with Afoa that evening in the scrum.

In fact, that match had me thinking that the TH position was going to be ok, that Buckley had evetually copped on and knuckeld down. I mean with 14 men for 55+ mins (13 at one stage too) we scored 4 tries against the ABs. That has happened twice in the last 2 years, ourselves & Oz.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 15 May 2012, 6:44 pm

Portnoy wrote:For England:
JSD also never had.
Andy Goode never had

Eh? He was awesome for England when given the chance, he was just too injured around international duty to be considered.

At the moment I'd go for Dave Lewis for Glos. I actually don't know what he brings to the table, bring on Cowan and Robson.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 6:46 pm

Matthew Tait? Wasn't great really? Ok he wasn't terrible but maybe didn't live up to his promise.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 15 May 2012, 6:49 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:Matthew Tait? Wasn't great really? Ok he wasn't terrible but maybe didn't live up to his promise.

A lot of people might disagree with that, but I don't. Had bags of pace in his early days but only put in a couple of memorable performances. Similar to Strettle imo, lost the spark.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 16 May 2012, 1:13 am

Big Bill Cavibati a big lump of fat for Wellington and the Hurricanes who was always leaning on the ruck with one hand to catch his breath
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 16 May 2012, 1:29 am

red_stag wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:

One of the biggest myths around. He was capable (through sheer size) of doing one good thing per match. Sometimes it worked, more often that not it didnt.

But he got a few tries from 1m out and made one hit on Simon Shaw that earned plaudits. But he was far from a good player in the loose - he hadnt the fitness.

If Buckley was born in any other country he would have been a second row. 6' 5" is too tall to be a prop these days. The man has great strength and better hands than many backs.

As for being lazy, I'm afraid thats the biggest myth about Buckley. He weighs about 22st! Thats alot of weight to be carrying around.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 16 May 2012, 8:00 am

Bayron Haywood is another from Wales, Darren Morris is another and he actually gat a Lions call up.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 16 May 2012, 8:37 am

bathmad wrote:Chris Patterson Doh
How?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 16 May 2012, 8:45 am

MrsP wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:Andy Kershaw - if any one outside Ulster remembers him I'm seriously impressed. In fact I would be impressed by any Ulster supporter who has seen him play

Headscratch

Wasn't he a radio DJ?

Not that one !

Kershaw was a prop signed by Matt Williams and touted as the answer to our prayers.
Utterly useless - never played any representative rugby - not even AIB as far as I know.
Disappeared without trace.

Worst International centre ? - I give you Rob Dewey

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 16 May 2012, 8:55 am

Richard Smith was capped at scrum half by Wales not so long ago, well into the 2000's and I bet half of you have never heard of him. Warren Fury is a more famous 9 Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 16 May 2012, 9:36 am

How about Chev Walker, Lee Smith or Willy Mason? Some pretty epic league conversion fails in there

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 16 May 2012, 9:57 am

My worse welsh XV Managed of course by Gareth Jenkins and coached by Steve Hanson

15 - Matt Cardey
14 - Arthur Emyr
13 - Boobyer/Sweeney
12 - David Evans
11 - Alun Edmunds
10 - Adrian Davies/Lee Jarvis/Sweeney
9 - Richard Smith
8 - Craig Quinnell
7 - Kingsley Jones (Capt)
6 - Popham
5 - Will James/Huw Richards
4 - Derwyn Jones
3 - Chris Horsman/Yapp
2 - Kevin Phillips
1 - Martyn Madden

Most from the late 80's and 90's is no coincidence - Some of these would not have made Regional teams thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Wed 16 May 2012, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 16 May 2012, 10:17 am

Portnoy wrote:For England:
JSD also never had.
Andy Goode never had

Absolutely rubbish. All 4 of those players don't deserve to be mentioned.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Wed 16 May 2012, 10:53 am

Ruby,

Christian Loader was fantastic!! Loved him and Chris Wells down The Whites!!

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 May 2012, 10:59 am

Has to be Laney for Scotland.

The turning circle of the QE2.

The vision of colourblind ferret in a hedge.

The balls skills of an arthritic octagenarian trying to post a letter on a January morning.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 16 May 2012, 11:13 am

The title is “worst pro player”, not worst international player. So I’d go for someone like Juan Gomez. A shockingly poor player at Leinster, last time I saw him he was being pushed around Tallaght stadium for the Argie Jaguars by Brett Wilkinson.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 16 May 2012, 11:46 am

MonkeyOwain12 wrote:Ruby,

Christian Loader was fantastic!! Loved him and Chris Wells down The Whites!!

You have a point Monkey - Its sorted thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next