The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One way ticket to the moon - Who would you pick?

+13
John Bloody Wayne
Fists of Fury
hogey
JabMachineMK2
Sugar Floyd Louis
Super D Boon
Rowley
azania
88Chris05
mobilemaster8
Adam D
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
17 posters

Go down

One way ticket to the moon - Who would you pick? Empty One way ticket to the moon - Who would you pick?

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 18 May 2012, 1:00 pm

A bit of Friday fun.

If there was a magical flying people carrier holding 7 people, who would you pick to go with only enough fuel to get there and not come back?

It can be anyone involved in boxing.

My 7 are:

1- Arum
2- Jose Sulaiman
3- Chavez jr
4- Mundine
5- Anthony Small
6- Michael Koncz (he just winds me up!)
7- Harold Lederman (maybe a bit harsh!)

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

One way ticket to the moon - Who would you pick? Empty Re: One way ticket to the moon - Who would you pick?

Post by Union Cane Fri 18 May 2012, 1:02 pm

Don King, as his copyright claim has made a mockery of my Career in Video section.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

One way ticket to the moon - Who would you pick? Empty Re: One way ticket to the moon - Who would you pick?

Post by Adam D Fri 18 May 2012, 1:07 pm

Presonally, I would have David Haye as the first name on that list.

Followed by anyone who wears black socks and shoes in the boxing ring.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 18 May 2012, 1:11 pm

1) Bob Arum
2) Chavez Jr
3) David Haye
4) Suliaman
5) Amir Khan
6) Koncz
7) BBBoC (ALL OF THEM SQUASHED ON ONE SEAT)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 18 May 2012, 1:18 pm

1) David Haye
2) Junior Witter
3) Jim Lampley
4) Larry Merchant
5) Harold Lederman
6) Max Kellermen
7) Bob Arum
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 1:23 pm

Arum
Roach
McKloskey
Larry Merchant
WBC/A/O/IBF
Ricky Burns
B-Hop

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 1:28 pm

1. Don King-too many reasons to mention, but primarily for removing Duran v Laing from the internet
2. Bob Arum-for preventing the big one
3.Suliaman-for bending over in bed to Don King over Tyson/Douglas
4. Sven Ottke-for being a smirking weasel
5.Adam Booth
6.Steve Bunce, for hyperbole and selling out
7.Enzo Maccarinelli-For his own safety and protection.

Last edited by andygf on Fri 18 May 2012, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 May 2012, 1:29 pm

1 Haye
2 Suleman
3 Arum
4 Chisora
5 Don King (I feel your pain Union, kicking a man to death was bad but this time he has gone too far)
6 Colonel Bob Sheridan
7 Warren

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 18 May 2012, 1:36 pm

rowley wrote:6 Colonel Bob Sheridan

Dear me, you really don't like Colonel Bob, do you Jeff!?

Mind you, I wouldn't want to be any of your other six choices, having to spend a three day trip in a metal can sitting next to him....

"Ok, here we go, three days ahead of us, folks. I'm nervous. Are you nervous? Yeah, I bet you're nervous. Oh my God! Look that this, the doors are shutting! You've gotta love it, folks! Great action here. We're taking off soon, right? Oh my God! Look at this, up we go!!!....."
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 1:41 pm

Anyone see Andy Murray on Ringside last night? I like him but if he ever took up boxing he would make some people's list for sure, has a habit of getting right up people's Alan Whick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 1:42 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

"Ok, here we go, three days ahead of us, folks. I'm nervous. Are you nervous? Yeah, I bet you're nervous. Oh my God! Look that this, the doors are shutting! You've gotta love it, folks! Great action here. We're taking off soon, right? Oh my God! Look at this, up we go!!!....."
clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 1:44 pm

1 David Haye
2 Sven Ottke
3 Bob Arum
4 Wilfried Sauerland
6 Marco Huck
7 Naseem Hamed
8 Don King

I won't use the number 5. It is my favourite number and I won't have it tarnished by placing it next to any of these gits!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 May 2012, 1:50 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

Dear me, you really don't like Colonel Bob, do you Jeff!?

Not much, if there is any chance we get a say in the seating plans can Bob sit next to Haye

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri 18 May 2012, 2:14 pm

Why so much hate for the Hayemaker Crying or Very sad he's hilarious!

Ok I did pay for that Wladmir fight but it was my first and hopefully last time I pay for a fight that lets me down.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 May 2012, 2:17 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:Why so much hate for the Hayemaker Crying or Very sad he's hilarious!

Some people in the world think the same about Chubby Brown, does not mean it is so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 18 May 2012, 2:19 pm

1) Larry Merchant
2) Bunce
3) Jim Watt
4) Bob Arum
5) Dereck Chisora

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri 18 May 2012, 2:21 pm

Least he brings entertainment to the heavyweight division... albeit he is a sales-man and disappoints in the ring.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 May 2012, 2:22 pm

Not really entertainment then is it? Is just a loud mouth charlatan talking drivel

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 18 May 2012, 2:26 pm

Ian John Lewis
Jim Watt
Frank Bruno
Floyd Mayweather
Roger Mayweather
Floyd Mayweather Snr
Tyson fury

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 2:31 pm

As opposed to K2 boring the world and its uncle with the dross they say and how they fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 May 2012, 3:00 pm

I quite like Haye. Boxing is all about bravado, it creates excitement and actually makes me interested in it - plus, it is funny!

Anyone that wants to see an end to such trash talk is basically what I don't like about the sport. People trying to clean up a game where the idea is to render your opponent unconscious, yet words are too much?

Ali was the king of it, he is almost as popular for that as much as he is for his outrageous boxing ability. It is what makes boxing so much more exciting than other sports, trash talking in the lead up to a huge fight, you cannot beat it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 3:36 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I quite like Haye. Boxing is all about bravado, it creates excitement and actually makes me interested in it - plus, it is funny!

Anyone that wants to see an end to such trash talk is basically what I don't like about the sport. People trying to clean up a game where the idea is to render your opponent unconscious, yet words are too much?

Ali was the king of it, he is almost as popular for that as much as he is for his outrageous boxing ability. It is what makes boxing so much more exciting than other sports, trash talking in the lead up to a huge fight, you cannot beat it.

clap

It had to happen that I'd agree with you someday. To the next 12 months of disagreeing OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 May 2012, 3:41 pm

Laugh Ale

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 3:43 pm

Nah Haye is a slimebucket no doubt. His interviews on Sky prove this. In fact, it's even been mentioned on Russell Howard's good news that both him and Chisora are so thoroughly unlikeable it's difficult to really get behind either of them. I think David Haye is bad to the bone, bad to the bone,b-b-bad to the bone! music

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 3:51 pm

I think we get the picture. You dont like Haye. Or for that matter you dont like trash talking. You're ideal boxer is the ever so humble Ricky Burns.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 3:53 pm

I don't mind trash talking so long as it's funny. Haye isn't funny he's just plain nasty. A couple of the things he said about Audley did tickle the funny bone though come to think of it but since then he's just come accross as a geniuinely nasty guy.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 May 2012, 3:56 pm

And here we go again, no grey area, no other options, every fighter through the history of the sport can be divided into two categories, if you're not David Haye, you're Ricky Burns and fans need to pick a side.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 4:00 pm

Super D Boon wrote:I don't mind trash talking so long as it's funny. Haye isn't funny he's just plain nasty. A couple of the things he said about Audley did tickle the funny bone though come to think of it but since then he's just come accross as a geniuinely nasty guy.

These guys are not there to make me think philosophically. I dont really care if they say cringe worthy stuff. Its all part of selling tickets. They probably know very well that some of the things they say will annoy others. But its designed to get a reaction. They got yours alright.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 4:01 pm

Yeah they did but I won't be purchasing. So at the end of the day they have succeeded in gaining my disgust but not my hard earned cash. Smile

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 4:02 pm

rowley wrote:And here we go again, no grey area, no other options, every fighter through the history of the sport can be divided into two categories, if you're not David Haye, you're Ricky Burns and fans need to pick a side.

Nope. I have little against Burns. I have nothing for him equally. The guy is as nice as pie. Probably helps old ladies cross the road also. But my god is he boring. Its like Manny/SSM love fest prior to their fight. I hated it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 4:06 pm

azania wrote:
rowley wrote:And here we go again, no grey area, no other options, every fighter through the history of the sport can be divided into two categories, if you're not David Haye, you're Ricky Burns and fans need to pick a side.

Nope. I have little against Burns. I have nothing for him equally. The guy is as nice as pie. Probably helps old ladies cross the road also. But my god is he boring. Its like Manny/SSM love fest prior to their fight. I hated it.

But to Azania all boxers either play the role of Flash Gordon or Emperor Ming, one of the two, there are no grey areas, it is all just a show. Good guys and Bad guys. Saying some awful stuff is just about selling a fight and just an act and it in no way reflects how they are as people outside of the ring.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 May 2012, 4:10 pm

This is where I get confused D, I dislike Haye pretty strongly but if I was to list my favourite fighters ever Naz would be in my top five, it's terribly baffling.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 18 May 2012, 4:12 pm

Trash talk is usually better if it's interesting or funny. Haye's is neither these days. Can somebody provide me with a quote of Haye's which they'd consider genuinely funny, please? Unless a simple tactic of overexaggerating absolutely everything - "you're getting knocked UNCONSCIOUS on July 2nd, the Klitschkos are DISGRACING Heavyweight boxing and them holding all four major titles would be a terrible way to cack all over the sport" etc - is classed as funny, of course.

Good job he drummed up all that interest before the Wladimir fight, I suppose, given that his actual performance (or am I missing the point and being difficult by inconveniently bringing up what happens between the ropes, as boxing is apparently all just about bravado?) was just about as far removed from interesting as you could get.

Oh yes, there's been a lot of talk from Haye. None of it very interesting and not much more of it actually followed through on.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 4:14 pm

rowley wrote:This is where I get confused D, I dislike Haye pretty strongly but if I was to list my favourite fighters ever Naz would be in my top five, it's terribly baffling.

Yeah that is confusing Jeff. I think you were loyal to him because he had flair and comes from round your way. On my list of 1-8 (omitting the number 5), I had both Haye and Hamed condemned to the moon!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 May 2012, 4:14 pm

In all fairness Chris if you ignore the fact it was borderline racist and completely ignoring the fact it was directed at someone managing to hold a full interview in one of the four languages he is fluent in I think you'd have to admit his Wlad has a funny Borat voice was an absolute zinger.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 4:15 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
azania wrote:

But to Azania all boxers either play the role of Flash Gordon or Emperor Ming, one of the two, there are no grey areas, it is all just a show. Good guys and Bad guys. Saying some awful stuff is just about selling a fight and just an act and it in no way reflects how they are as people outside of the ring.

Please try not to speak for me. You have enough difficulty speaking for yourself. I don't care what a boxer says so long as its not racist. Its not a case of good v bad and I'd root for the bad gut. I quite liked Oscar and you hardly get nicer than that. But I like boxers who are interesting characters. What nasty stuff did Haye say that so offended you?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 4:21 pm

azania wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:
azania wrote:

Please try not to speak for me. You have enough difficulty speaking for yourself. I don't care what a boxer says so long as its not racist. Its not a case of good v bad and I'd root for the bad gut. I quite liked Oscar and you hardly get nicer than that. But I like boxers who are interesting characters. What nasty stuff did Haye say that so offended you?

Azania, once again you have shown yourself up. The Borat impressions were overtly racists as was his Hitler Parody. What about his quips about Switzerland being a place that makes clocks not hosts fights? There's probably a dozen more I could think of.

If you don't like racism then I can't understand your liking for David Haye.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 18 May 2012, 4:54 pm

I don't see the point in wasting a seat that could rid us of another promoter on someone because you think a Borat impression is somehow racist?

I'm a fan of the old time fighters myself, and the unoriginal "Ima knock him out blah blah blah" that we get currently is boring, but at least Haye shows some originality and sells the fight. He's been the only thing keeping casual sports fans looking in boxing's direction since Hatton retired. Plus, he did actually go for the best fight. It's ok to point out he got beat, but when the oh so respectable Oscar De La Hoya went for the big fights and got beat he got all the credit in the world.

I should point out I find Haye's attitude frustrating, and wish he'd earn a shot by fighting some top contedners, but the trash talk? If not for that the casual fan wouldn't know/care who the heavyweight champ is.

Remind me, what was so classy about the pizza face thing?

1. Arum
2. King
3. Margarito
4. Warren
5. Ledderman
6. Ian John Lewis
7. Ward, see if he can meet his father, God.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 6:58 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
azania wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:
azania wrote:

Azania, once again you have shown yourself up. The Borat impressions were overtly racists as was his Hitler Parody. What about his quips about Switzerland being a place that makes clocks not hosts fights? There's probably a dozen more I could think of.

If you don't like racism then I can't understand your liking for David Haye.

The Borat impression racist? Seriously? I reckon he sounded like Borat and said so. Tell me the last major fight hosted in Switzerland?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri 18 May 2012, 7:12 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Trash talk is usually better if it's interesting or funny. Haye's is neither these days. Can somebody provide me with a quote of Haye's which they'd consider genuinely funny, please? Unless a simple tactic of overexaggerating absolutely everything - "you're getting knocked UNCONSCIOUS on July 2nd, the Klitschkos are DISGRACING Heavyweight boxing and them holding all four major titles would be a terrible way to cack all over the sport" etc - is classed as funny, of course.

Good job he drummed up all that interest before the Wladimir fight, I suppose, given that his actual performance (or am I missing the point and being difficult by inconveniently bringing up what happens between the ropes, as boxing is apparently all just about bravado?) was just about as far removed from interesting as you could get.

Oh yes, there's been a lot of talk from Haye. None of it very interesting and not much more of it actually followed through on.

Forgive me but I did chuckle pre-Harrison when he got in trouble for saying "This fight is going to be as one-sided as a gangrape"

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 18 May 2012, 7:17 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Trash talk is usually better if it's interesting or funny. Haye's is neither these days. Can somebody provide me with a quote of Haye's which they'd consider genuinely funny, please? Unless a simple tactic of overexaggerating absolutely everything - "you're getting knocked UNCONSCIOUS on July 2nd, the Klitschkos are DISGRACING Heavyweight boxing and them holding all four major titles would be a terrible way to cack all over the sport" etc - is classed as funny, of course.

Forgive me but I did chuckle pre-Harrison when he got in trouble for saying "This fight is going to be as one-sided as a gangrape"

I did also enjoy his 'by the time he throws the left hand I'll be at the after party' quip too.

He's hardly Ali but he isn't dull.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 7:39 pm

alma wrote:By all accounts haye isn't that bad away from the spotlight, he just turns into a Prat when the camera is on him. What mystified me was why he made out that K2 were rubbish when they're clearly miles better than him. He talked up valuev who is crap yet belittled two modern greats. If he'd played the underdog card we might have all got behind him. Every K2 opponent has done the same: made out theyre easily beatable then failed miserably to do so.
[b]

Why do the Brits love the underdog and classy losers? Bruno was universally loved whereas Naz was marmite.

You guys live by the saying that "its the taking part that matters". Whoever coined that phrase obviously came second at best.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 9:13 pm

As the great sports writer Grantland rice said, For when the great scorer comes to write your name,it matters not who won or lost,but how you played the game. Sport was amateur once remember, and the result was always supposed to be secondary to behaving like a gentleman!
I have lost count with the times I have heard that the problem with British sport is that we do not rate winning highly enough;however when it was only yesterday that the British Empire existed it is to be expected that we are going to have a funny relationship with the concept of kicking everyones ass in sport.However I think people just like Bruno cos he seemed a decent guy, people always wanted him to win;which of course he did ultimately so he is not the best example of a loser...I would be more troubled if people turned their back on those they perceived as losers.Bruno seemed like one of the lads, and although Haye is a lot more quick witted than Bruno he is not exactly loved by the public is he, for winnigng one version of the belt as Bruno did. Also I am not sure that Nas had the polarising effect quite so pat, for example I met people who said that they loved AND hated him.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 9:35 pm

Personally I couldn't stand Bruno. I found him embarrassing whenever he talked. Not just thick, but incredibly thick. I was over the moon when Tim beat him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 18 May 2012, 9:47 pm

azania wrote:Personally I couldn't stand Bruno. I found him embarrassing whenever he talked. Not just thick, but incredibly thick. I was over the moon when Tim beat him.
You know what I mean 'Arry Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sat 19 May 2012, 1:14 am

azania wrote:Personally I couldn't stand Bruno. I found him embarrassing whenever he talked. Not just thick, but incredibly thick. I was over the moon when Tim beat him.

Even though you conveniently ignored the thrust of my argument against Haye I'll let you go on that because I also never liked Bruno, could not STAND the guy. When Tyson smashed him up I was happy and when he did it again I was beside myself.

I never rated him as high as average and I genuinely believe Lewis chose the round to beat him in and believe strongly that the myth of the "Tyson wobble" and "Lewis being in trouble" is but a myth as much as Medusa being able to turn men to stone should they fix upon her gaze! He was a boxer that played on the loveable thicko image of British heavyweights that came from 'Enery Cooper, a thicko image that the Brits love. Bruno knew this and traded mercilessly on it. Deep down Bruno was a hideously manipulative man who loved money far more than glory. Not once did the money grubbing Bruno fight for the British title as there was just not enough money in it for him!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 19 May 2012, 1:24 am

1. floyd mayweather
2. manny pacquiao
3. joe cortez
4. judge no1
5. judge no2
6. judge no3
7. HBO camera crew

no need for any1 else

Yahoo
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 May 2012, 8:29 am

Super D Boon wrote:

Even though you conveniently ignored the thrust of my argument against Haye I'll let you go on that because I also never liked Bruno, could not STAND the guy. When Tyson smashed him up I was happy and when he did it again I was beside myself.

I never rated him as high as average and I genuinely believe Lewis chose the round to beat him in and believe strongly that the myth of the "Tyson wobble" and "Lewis being in trouble" is but a myth as much as Medusa being able to turn men to stone should they fix upon her gaze! He was a boxer that played on the loveable thicko image of British heavyweights that came from 'Enery Cooper, a thicko image that the Brits love. Bruno knew this and traded mercilessly on it. Deep down Bruno was a hideously manipulative man who loved money far more than glory. Not once did the money grubbing Bruno fight for the British title as there was just not enough money in it for him!

I wasn't responding to your argument.

But he did outjab Lewis and wobbled Tyson. Those are not myths.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 May 2012, 8:54 am

Bruno had two problems - One of which he was built like a body builder which affected his speed and his stamina. In any 6 rounder he holds his own with many a legend. The second is that he probably inherited his survival technique from a dodo. Whatever you say about Bruno he had a fair bit of talent but his deficiencies were much more debilitating than other fighters.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down