The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unbeaten... but unbeatable?

+9
azania
Josef K.
two_tone
mobilemaster8
Nico the gman
OasisBFC
Steffan
alfredperami
Union Cane
13 posters

Go down

Unbeaten... but unbeatable? Empty Unbeaten... but unbeatable?

Post by Union Cane Mon 21 May 2012, 3:11 pm

Keeping that '0' in the loss column seems to be a major factor these days, certainly more so than it used to be. However, it seems to have lost some of its meaning with all the ducking / avoiding and journeyman beating that goes on in order to keep a fighter unbeaten.

Of the following unbeaten British fighters, which do you think will keep their precious '0', and will this be because they are 'well managed' or will it be because they are, as it used to mean, unbeatable.

Kell Brook 27-0-0
Nathan Cleverly 24-0-0
Scott Quigg 24-0-0
Martin Murray 23-0-1
Denton Vassell 19-0-0
Tyson Fury 18-0-0
Jamie Cox 16-0-0
George Groves 14-0-0
David Price 13-0-0
Billy Joe Saunders 13-0-0
Richard Towers 13-0-0
Carl Frampton 13-0-0
Travis Dickinson 13-0-0
Joe Murray 12-0-0
Chris Eubank Jr 4-0-0
Kid Galahad 12-0-0
Frankie Gavin 12-0-0
Liam Walsh 12-0-0
Rocky Fielding 10-0-0
Joe Selkirk 9-0-0
Eamonn O'Kane 7-0-0

Last edited by Union Cane on Mon 21 May 2012, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Unbeaten... but unbeatable? Empty Re: Unbeaten... but unbeatable?

Post by alfredperami Mon 21 May 2012, 3:54 pm

Very good question will go into a little more depth this evening but, in the most simple of terms the list has a few potentially unbeaten but no unbeatable fighters.

Due to the better fighters being in the more stacked weight classes both world and domestic, 'well managed’ is the only way to keep that 0 but i could see a British p4p top 10er from them.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 21 May 2012, 4:00 pm

All of the fighters you have named would get beat by at least one person in their division at the moment

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 21 May 2012, 4:01 pm

every one of those fighters could be beaten at their next serious step up in class.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 21 May 2012, 4:12 pm

Even past great fighters have lost their unbeaten records while in their prime, so anyone of the above named fighters could be beaten.

Having said that being well managed and avoiding the best in the division could probably prevent you losing your 0.

I like to think that a fighter with a bit of self respect and pride would look to fight the best in the division.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 21 May 2012, 4:23 pm

Brook, Price and Frampton for me. The people who are most likely to lose that "0" are:

Fury (vs Price)
Quigg (vs Frampton

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Mon 21 May 2012, 4:31 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Brook, Price and Frampton for me. The people who are most likely to lose that "0" are:

Fury (vs Price)
Quigg (vs Frampton

are they the "most likely" or the highest ranked/regarded that you think will?

i can 5 or 6 names of a much lower standard on that list.

and if Quigg isnt going to beat frampton today then rendall should walk through him. i see both those contests as 50/50 right now....a year or so on and frampton ends it early IMO, but that it due to JG being the most 1D trainer in the UK Quigg is BIG at the weight
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Mon 21 May 2012, 4:37 pm

Think Eubank will be the last to lose his 0 out of that bunch as he is only just starting and the others all look beatable but who knows? Price, Groves and Brook are the ones I hope go the furthest as I think they have the most potential.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Mon 21 May 2012, 6:25 pm

A case like Brook isn't AS bad. He's unquestionably the best domestically and probably the best in Europe. He's now moving to international waters.

The one's that really irritate me are when they boast of their '0' when they're not even the best domestically. John Murray had his 30 unbeaten fights even though he was third best at LW, albeit Burns was at SFW at the time.

Some of the SBWs there have to lose their 0 simply because there's so many of them. I'd much prefer them to lose their 0 than skirt each other domestically.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 May 2012, 6:40 pm

If they were matched up competitively, quigg would be the last to lose his 0. I have a sneaky feeling that Frankie Gavin will make good provided he sorts out his issues. The kid is the most talented of that list.

Price v Towers? Timberrrrrrrrr!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 21 May 2012, 7:24 pm

I think Martin Murray loses his next. Due to him wanting a big fight against Chavez, Martinez etc, all whom he would lose to in some form or another. I think Strum has woke up after the Macklin an Murray fight. He looked back to his best against Zbik and I would take him to beat Murray AND Macklin should rematches come up.

I think Quigg has a defeat not to far away. He tried to practice a Plan B by fighting on the back foot against Arthur and ended up on his face. So he went back to the only thing he knows which is walking opponents down. That style was the same as Murrays to an extent and it took a step up to bring him back down. The difference being Quigg has power to boot, but I think only he comes up against someone with as big a punch as him then he will be snoggin the canvas once more. Arthur is NOT a big puncher and floored him with a jab albeit a good one. I think Munroe is well capable of outsmarting him. As said above, the Gallagher gym ain't known for creating additional dimensions in their fighters
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 21 May 2012, 7:27 pm

to be fair i'd expect any decent prospect to win there first 10/15 fights. fury, groves and quigg are the only guys who have actually take a huge risk and come though it, although brooks opposition has got better the last 2/3 fights. think frankie gavin is lucky to still be on that list, i had him losing soundly to woodhouse.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Wed 23 May 2012, 4:43 pm

What has happened to the Walsh Brothers?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 23 May 2012, 5:09 pm

Personally i believe all fighters, if tested at all, will lose at some point or another. But here's how I think these guys will do and wh
Kell Brook 27-0-0 - real talent future world champ, expect him to lose late in career after some big wins on his resume
Nathan Cleverly 24-0-0 might end up undefeated if he doesn't up his opposition. Loses to Campillo,Bhop,Dawson and Pascal at the mo
Scott Quigg 24-0-0 - Think Munroe might shock him
Martin Murray 23-0-1 - Macklin outworks him
Denton Vassell 19-0-0 - Don't know too much but at world level. Defeat.
Tyson Fury 18-0-0 Price, th eK bros and a fit Chis all beat him
Jamie Cox 16-0-0 - don't know enough
George Groves 14-0-0 - think he might be a little chinny, although that is not confirmed really. Think he will lose a few, but perhaps get amn alpha belt
David Price 13-0-0 - Big ? over his chin still, but fancy him to snag a world belt before losing 2.3
Billy Joe Saunders 13-0-0 - tough young kid
Richard Towers 13-0-0 don't know
Carl Frampton 13-0-0 will keep his until world level and then after winning a belt will lose at some point, like evryone else
Travis Dickinson 13-0-0 don't know much about him
Joe Murray 12-0-0 dito
Chris Eubank Jr 4-0-0
Kid Galahad 12-0-0
Frankie Gavin 12-0-0
Liam Walsh 12-0-0
Rocky Fielding 10-0-0
Joe Selkirk 9-0-0
Eamonn O'Kane 7-0-0[/quote]

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 23 May 2012, 5:11 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Personally i believe all fighters, if tested at all, will lose at some point or another. But here's how I think these guys will do and wh
Kell Brook 27-0-0 - real talent future world champ, expect him to lose late in career after some big wins on his resume
Nathan Cleverly 24-0-0 might end up undefeated if he doesn't up his opposition. Loses to Campillo,Bhop,Dawson and Pascal at the mo
Scott Quigg 24-0-0 - Think Munroe might shock him
Martin Murray 23-0-1 - Macklin outworks him
Denton Vassell 19-0-0 - Don't know too much but at world level. Defeat.
Tyson Fury 18-0-0 Price, th eK bros and a fit Chis all beat him
Jamie Cox 16-0-0 - don't know enough
George Groves 14-0-0 - think he might be a little chinny, although that is not confirmed really. Think he will lose a few, but perhaps get amn alpha belt
David Price 13-0-0 - Big ? over his chin still, but fancy him to snag a world belt before losing 2.3
Billy Joe Saunders 13-0-0 - tough young kid
Richard Towers 13-0-0 don't know
Carl Frampton 13-0-0 will keep his until world level and then after winning a belt will lose at some point, like evryone else
Travis Dickinson 13-0-0 don't know much about him
Joe Murray 12-0-0 dito
Chris Eubank Jr 4-0-0 Good talent, will take tough fights and lose accrodingly like his dad, but could be a great british export
Kid Galahad 12-0-0 dont know much about him
Frankie Gavin 12-0-0 - lack of power will one day cost him
Liam Walsh 12-0-0 - too vlunerable no to get ko'd one day
Rocky Fielding 10-0-0 ?? dont know much about these three
Joe Selkirk 9-0-0 ??
Eamonn O'Kane 7-0-0 ??
[/quote]

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down