The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another day another BBC article about Wales

+20
Mr Fishpaste
kingjohn7
ScarletSpiderman
Portnoy
gregortree
kiakahaaotearoa
damngoodOvalball
Looseheaded
bedfordwelsh
Bullsbok
TrailApe
jeffwinger
TycroesOsprey
Biltong
gowales
Liam
sugarNspikes
mpc28
dogtooth
HERSH
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another day another BBC article about Wales Empty Another day another BBC article about Wales

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 10:43 am

This time its another interview with Sam Warburton, he says it will be disappointing for Wales to come home without a series win in Aus blah blah,

Aren’t Wales ranked 3 places behind Aus in the irb rankings? steam

So IMO the best Wales can hope for is stopping Aus winning 3-0 seeing as they have poor form against SH teams down-under and the FACT that they haven’t beaten Aus in Aus since 1969.

Oh and the BBC still refer to finishing 4th in the RWC as a success! Shocked Laugh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18200966
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Another day another BBC article about Wales Empty Re: Another day another BBC article about Wales

Post by dogtooth Fri 25 May 2012, 10:51 am

this wales bias at the bbc is infuriating.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Another day another BBC article about Wales Empty Re: Another day another BBC article about Wales

Post by mpc28 Fri 25 May 2012, 10:57 am

Another day another HERSH article about Wales.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 25 May 2012, 10:58 am

I think this shows a lack of respect from Sam. Next he'll be saying it would be embarrassing to lose to the Aussies. Whistle

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 10:59 am

mpc28 wrote:Another day another HERSH article about Wales.

Is that all you've got?

Really
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 25 May 2012, 11:16 am

I'm getting a bit sick of all this optimism about Wales even as a Welshman, I mean alright we got to the semi's of the world cup with an inexperienced side which had only been together for a few games, yes we won the grand slam for the third time in 7 years and yes we have a young and exiting side going forward playing a great variety of rugby.

But God don't they half go on, I wish we could learn from the dignified DT and its writers who write well balanced and though out pieces on the English national side, who pride themselves on honesty and integrity especially during the world cup, where they hammered scotland and argentina and should have wholloped France.

Nice article HERSH, be nice to hear more from you.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 11:34 am

A nice honest post there Martyr

Well done Sir clap clap
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 May 2012, 11:34 am

It's pretty bullish of Sam to say they'd be 'dissapointed' with anything but a series win. But upon reading the full article, he just sounds like a young captain excited about the massive challenge ahead. Good on him.

I was wondering how wales would approach the psychological side of things, sounds like it's with bravado rather than the old 'shucks, we had an ok year, and hopefully we'll build on momentum, blah, blah'.

Just gotta back it up, that's all, otherwise it's 'disapointing'.

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 25 May 2012, 11:36 am

I wish they could ask some interesting questions though, not the same Love sacks every single time we play a SH team

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 25 May 2012, 11:39 am

HERSH wrote:A nice honest post there Martyr

Well done Sir clap clap

Thanks HERSH Hug

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 11:53 am

kiss
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 25 May 2012, 11:53 am

what do you expect the man to say?

" Well, err, umm, geez, not sure we will be able to win one down there, err, I mean, lets face it, erm, we haven't won down there , erm, well since I was born, ermm."
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 25 May 2012, 12:00 pm

I personally think these rugby players should have a standard answer for the media.

" We are confident in our abilities, we trust our systems and one another and are prepared."

Journo "But do you think you can win?"

Player " you'll just have to wait and see, won't you?"
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 25 May 2012, 12:03 pm

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 12:04 pm

I think he should have shown a little more respect to Aus.

They are ranked 2nd in the IRB rankings, a position Wales can only dream about.

Sam does too much talking for my likening, I guess that’s what you get when you have an inexperienced captain.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Fri 25 May 2012, 12:51 pm

He needs to sound positive. The team need to believe they have the ability win or there's no point even getting on the plane. However the words do come across a bit strong. I feel a 2-1 loss would be a good result away from home. This Wales side is full of potential but so is the Aussie side. And I think the Australian team will be the best in the world in a few years, and will go into 2015 WC as favourites.

I think Wales do need to keep a handle on expectations. They have performed well but have been a bit fortunate in the last year. If Samoa had an equal rest period in the WC, Wales could have been out after the first 2 group games. Ireland and England could easily have beaten Wales in the 6N, but for questionable refereeing decisions and the irregular bounce of a rugby ball. I don't want to detract from their achievements but they are not yet a team who can be expected to win series in the Southern Hemisphere.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 1:05 pm

Don't get me wrong I'll be the first to congratulate Wales if they pull it off but Sams comments stink of arrogance, fair play you won the 6 nation but lets be honest Wales away form in the SH is a joke.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri 25 May 2012, 1:19 pm

But God don't they half go on, I wish we could learn from the dignified DT and its writers who write well balanced and though out pieces on the English national side, who pride themselves on honesty and integrity especially during the world cup, where they hammered scotland and argentina and should have wholloped France.

martyr_94 that was superb.

TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 May 2012, 1:21 pm

jeffwinger wrote:He needs to sound positive. The team need to believe they have the ability win or there's no point even getting on the plane. However the words do come across a bit strong. I feel a 2-1 loss would be a good result away from home. This Wales side is full of potential but so is the Aussie side. And I think the Australian team will be the best in the world in a few years, and will go into 2015 WC as favourites.

I think Wales do need to keep a handle on expectations. They have performed well but have been a bit fortunate in the last year. If Samoa had an equal rest period in the WC, Wales could have been out after the first 2 group games. Ireland and England could easily have beaten Wales in the 6N, but for questionable refereeing decisions and the irregular bounce of a rugby ball. I don't want to detract from their achievements but they are not yet a team who can be expected to win series in the Southern Hemisphere.

So you are honestly saying if you were a professional player and a captain of your country, you would be happy with losing matches? Jeez. What else is he meant to say?

A lot of ifs and buts in your second paragraph isn't there. Wales could also (maybe should) have beaten SA and in the World Cup and could easily have beaten Ireland and England by more (Priestland's poor kicking and Scott Williams butchering a clear overlap).

A non story but people like Hersh and Cyril don't need much of an excuse to try digging at Wales. Try discussing and reading about just England instead Hershy. Then the Welsh players and coaches can't upset your sensitive self.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Fri 25 May 2012, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Fri 25 May 2012, 1:22 pm

Wales are looking good but isnt it a bit premature to be saying anything but a series win against the worlds 2nd best team would be a disapointment ?
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Fri 25 May 2012, 1:24 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
jeffwinger wrote:He needs to sound positive. The team need to believe they have the ability win or there's no point even getting on the plane. However the words do come across a bit strong. I feel a 2-1 loss would be a good result away from home. This Wales side is full of potential but so is the Aussie side. And I think the Australian team will be the best in the world in a few years, and will go into 2015 WC as favourites.

So you are honestly saying if you were a professional player and a captain of your country, you would be happy with losing matches? Jeez. What else is he meant to say?

A lot of ifs and buts in your second paragraph isn't there. Wales could also (maybe should) have beaten SA and in the World Cup and could easily have beaten Ireland and England by more (Priestland's poor kicking and Scott Williams butchering a clear overlap).

A non story but people like Hersh and Cyril don't need much of an excuse to try digging at Wales. Try discussing and reading about just England instead Hershy. Then the Welsh players and coaches can't upset your sensitive self.

If we start going into ifs and should then this whole topic disintegrates . Samoa should have had an equal rest period as Wales, If Englands try in the 6N had been given they'd have won etc annoying right?
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 25 May 2012, 1:24 pm

I would say a win against the BaaBaas, the mid-week game in Oz and 1 of the test would be the minimum.

I don't think we will win the series (hope am wrong) but will be disappointed if don't win at least on of the tests.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Cyril, I forgot all about him!

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Fri 25 May 2012, 1:26 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

I would be happy with a strong, competitive performance and not too down heartened losing to the second best team in the world (potential first in the future) away from home.

Last edited by jeffwinger on Fri 25 May 2012, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 1:28 pm

I think Wales will win one.

The 3rd test when Aus have the series already wrapped up.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 May 2012, 1:31 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I would say a win against the BaaBaas, the mid-week game in Oz and 1 of the test would be the minimum.

I don't think we will win the series (hope am wrong) but will be disappointed if don't win at least on of the tests.

We could easily lose to the BaaBaas given the side we will likely put out. I would realistically like to win one test, but wouldn't like to see my captain or any squad number say that before we play the Aussies.

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 25 May 2012, 1:32 pm

HERSH wrote:I think Wales will win one.

I think thats a worse case scenario if were talking about rugby and NOT wumming HERSH. The first test is key, Australia ravaged by injury and with their senior players being forced to play 3 games in a week are ripe for the taking. If the welsh perform and win that test we will win the series. However if the Aussies can nurse their bodies through a crazy schedule andd beat the welsh in the first test then we will see whether welsh confidence is still fragile or not. If we lose the first test then yeah winning a dead rubber is what I expect.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 25 May 2012, 1:34 pm

HERSH wrote:I think Wales will win one.

HERSH,

Whilst never wanting to turn an away win down I did post something about this the other day. In it I said that I hope we win the 1st or 2nd test while series is still alive.

That way these 'dead rubber' 'series already won' posts would then be useless, guess its best to geth them in before the games have taken place though Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 25 May 2012, 1:34 pm

HERSH wrote:

Sam does too much talking for my likening, I guess that’s what you get when you have an inexperienced captain.

We can't all have captains with the international experience of Robshaw sorry Hersh.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 25 May 2012, 1:35 pm

Bullsbok wrote:Wales are looking good but isnt it a bit premature to be saying anything but a series win against the worlds 2nd best team would be a disapointment ?

I get your point but to be fair, he is captain of a Wales side which is on the up. Also losing any game of rugby, irrelevant of where or who you are playing is going to be a disappointment. Good man warburton

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 25 May 2012, 1:37 pm

Looseheaded wrote:
HERSH wrote:

We can't all have captains with the international experience of Robshaw sorry Hersh.

Or Dowson
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 25 May 2012, 1:44 pm

Bullsbok wrote:Wales are looking good but isnt it a bit premature to be saying anything but a series win against the worlds 2nd best team would be a disapointment ?

Would a Boks captain who had just won the tri nations in heading off on tour to a team ranked above them talk about hoping to win a test or would he confidently state the boks were targetting the series and anything less would be a dissapointment? We both know its the latter. Why criticise the six nations champions and world cup semifinalists for doing the same? SA didnt win a thing last year, are they only looking for a couple of lucky wins in the tri nations or are they targetting the number one and number two sides in the world and planning to tpopple them?

The simple fact is not winning the series would be very dissapointing. If Wales aspire to be the best team in the world again we have to start beating the top teams home and away we have to target series wins not the odd lucky victory. We have had mediocrity for far too long, we have been satisfied with the odd good showing for far too long. I am delighted with the attitude shown by Sam and the other players. They want a series win thats what they are targetting and good on em. "A mans reach must ever exceed his grasp or whats a heaven for" may have been an englishman who said it but he was right!

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 1:46 pm

Warburton's inexperience as a captain and as a player was shown during the RWC SF, I believe Wales would have beaten France and the All Blacks if he hadn't lost his head.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 1:47 pm

The one that got away!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 25 May 2012, 1:48 pm

The journalist didn't even care about the title. Series loss would disappoint Wales. Well baste my drumsticks, that's a revelation! These pieces are becoming increasingly like a phone in. We want you to give us your opinion. We don't care what your opinion is just so long as you spend your money making it. Send yes for blah blah bklah or no for blah blah blah.

What does this drivel tell us we didn't already know. No wonder papers resort to sensationalist sound-bites just to generate some interest because articles like this are a steaming pile of crap.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 25 May 2012, 1:55 pm

Tycroes, nice there quote from 'Bob' Dylan (Thomas).
Another great Welsh hero of the written word.
I recall hearing that Mr Zimmerman adopted his stage name, on inspiration from Mr Thomas' poetry. Both great writers imho.
BBC on other hand write lazy WUM headlines, which we often fall for and grab the bait. From Hersh.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Fri 25 May 2012, 2:05 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:

Would a Boks captain who had just won the tri nations in heading off on tour to a team ranked above them talk about hoping to win a test or would he confidently state the boks were targetting the series and anything less would be a dissapointment? We both know its the latter. Why criticise the six nations champions and world cup semifinalists for doing the same? SA didnt win a thing last year, are they only looking for a couple of lucky wins in the tri nations or are they targetting the number one and number two sides in the world and planning to tpopple them?

The simple fact is not winning the series would be very dissapointing. If Wales aspire to be the best team in the world again we have to start beating the top teams home and away we have to target series wins not the odd lucky victory. We have had mediocrity for far too long, we have been satisfied with the odd good showing for far too long. I am delighted with the attitude shown by Sam and the other players. They want a series win thats what they are targetting and good on em. "A mans reach must ever exceed his grasp or whats a heaven for" may have been an englishman who said it but he was right!

Okay then i wish the Welsh luck , i do hope they start pratting off to the Aussie Media soon , we all know how that usually turns out
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 25 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Is stating you plan to win the series pratting off? Was Pdivvy pratting off when he said SA wanted to win the world cup? cmon you seem to be criticizing the welsh for taking a winners attitude.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 May 2012, 2:13 pm

Just the start of the war of words between oz and wales. First oz media said theyd be embarrassed to lose to wales. Now bbc/wales are saying theyd be disappointed to not win the series. It'll go on and on and on until game day. Oz are good at this game. Best to be humble and all shucks and erm, keep quite, sneak in, sucker punch em, come home 2-1 up.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 25 May 2012, 2:16 pm

EBOP wrote:Just the start of the war of words between oz and wales. First oz media said theyd be embarrassed to lose to wales. Now bbc/wales are saying theyd be disappointed to not win the series. It'll go on and on and on until game day. Oz are good at this game. Best to be humble and all shucks and erm, keep quite, sneak in, sucker punch em, come home 2-1 up.

+1
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Fri 25 May 2012, 2:17 pm

+1
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 25 May 2012, 2:19 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

And it's a hard
And a hard
And a hard
And a hard...

Hard rains are gonna fall.

Wink
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 25 May 2012, 2:23 pm

I think they could heading for a bout of Antipodean Homesick Blues.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 25 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Try discussing and reading about just England instead Hershy. Then the Welsh players and coaches can't upset your sensitive self.

Well try to avoid stories about the Aviva Premiership or the Championship at the moment because at the moment those stories all seem to be about the Jeff sides signing up unwanted regional players, poaching regional coaches, or about London Welsh trying to get into the Jeff.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 25 May 2012, 2:40 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:I think they could heading for a bout of Antipodean Homesick Blues.

True. Now way out of Desolation Row.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 25 May 2012, 2:48 pm

You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last
But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast
Yonder stands your orphan with his gun
Crying like a fire in the sun
Look out the Saints are comin' through
And it's all over now, Cardiff Blue.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Fri 25 May 2012, 3:16 pm

Whats the problem with this? I dont think we will win the series, unlikely even a test, but I will be disappointed if we dont win the series. And im only a fan, this is the guys job.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Fri 25 May 2012, 3:17 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote: Was Pdivvy pratting off
In fairness, this was a particular speciality of his...so it's unfair to compare welsh 'pratts' to PDiv who is many places ahead of them in the IRB world pratt-rankings!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 25 May 2012, 3:21 pm

You've been with the professors
And they've all liked your looks
With great lawyers you have
Discussed lepers and crooks
You've been through all of
F. Scott Fitzgerald's The coaching and fitness books
You're very well read
It's well known.

But something is happening here
And you don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones ?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 25 May 2012, 3:32 pm

"Oxford Town"
Oxford Town, Oxford Town
Ev'rybody's got their hats bowed down
The sun don't shine above the ground
Ain't a-goin' down to Oxford Town.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next