The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antonio Margarito Retire's from Boxing

+18
Imperial Ghosty
JabMachineMK2
Lance
Steffan
mobilemaster8
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TheMackemMawler
Strongback
davidemore
Seanusarrilius
88Chris05
School Project
azania
Rowley
bellchees
spencerclarke
eddyfightfan
KO-KING
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Antonio Margarito Retire's from Boxing Empty Antonio Margarito Retire's from Boxing

Post by KO-KING Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:26 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/antonio-margarito-retires-from-boxing-arum-comments--53723

3 Fighters have recently Retired, Winky Wright, Shane Mosley and now Margarito - Margarito has had a succesfull career but the cheat will never join the other 2 in HOF

He retires with a record of 38-8-0 27 KO's - His best win was against Cotto, most likely cheated for that fight, excellent fighter in his prime around 2008, Never the same after Pacquiao broke his face - You can question alot about Margarito but His chin and heart is amongst ATG's

He said his body is braking down and Top Ranked encouraged him to retire - according to Arum

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito Retire's from Boxing Empty Re: Antonio Margarito Retire's from Boxing

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm

the hand wraps will be the thing people remember about him, but he has given the sport countless hours of entertainment, blood sweat and tears. i wish him the best of luck.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito Retire's from Boxing Empty Re: Antonio Margarito Retire's from Boxing

Post by spencerclarke Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

have the other two definitely retired? I've been away from boxing media for a couple of weeks.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Good riddance to Margarito, glad Manny broke his face.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:50 pm

Not a fighter I will be sorry to see the back of. Despite D4's best attempts to convince me to the contrary I was never fully satisified him wearing illegal hand wraps was a brave attempt to move the safety of the sport forward and if I'm honest I still consider it cheating a little bit.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:50 pm

Hand-wraps are good for boxing safety. Call Marg a pioneer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm

spencerclarke wrote:have the other two definitely retired? I've been away from boxing media for a couple of weeks.

Yeah they retired, Mosley is going into promoting fighters, Winky not so sure what he'll do, but he has hanged them up officialy, you never know they might make a comeback...a unsuccesful comeback

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:10 am

I have no doubt that after the hand wraps that he was on the gear too. No doubt in my mind at all.

I don't care for a man who has no moral fibre in his body. I'm glad Mosely, Pacquiao and Cotto all done a job on him at the end of his career.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:31 am

Well, as my mother always reminded me as a child, it's best to say nothing if you don't have anything positive to say. Through very gritted teeth, I'll half-heartedly say congratulations to Margarito on a very successful career.

Still a cheating git who I'm glad to see the back of, though.

Ooops!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:27 am

Good riddance. I am sorry, but he is a cheat. Bye Cheato!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:48 am

Screw that guy, he a cheating bum, sorry but get lost Cheatarito!!!! Could have killed someone.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 08 Jun 2012, 6:53 am

Good he's gone. Arum probably couldn't get him a money fight.

He severely dented the confidence of a fighter more psychologically susceptible than some in Cotto when he bashed in his face with illegal wraps. Cotto's facial injuries were testament to Margo's cheating.

What he did to Cotto's career, a very decent pro, I can never forgive Margo for.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:24 am

There is no evidence that Margo cheated against Cotto and instead there is only circumstantial codswallop!!

Margo was a hard man, for that alone, he gets kudos.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:32 am

At the end of the day, there is no official proof that he wore handwraps against Cotto. Marg won me a little bit of money that day Smile

He has got some good wins on his record that will forever be tarnished.

Likes of Cintron, Martinez, Cotto, Clottey, Lewis

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:01 am

Cotto's face is the proof margo cheated.

I should be surprised by the love shown to Margo but then again the internet is wide open to all types of..........

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

Strongback wrote:Cotto's face is the proof margo cheated.

Why cos he took a beating?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:28 am

I should be surprised by the love shown to Margo but then again the internet is wide open to all types of..........

Load of crap. Look at Cottos face after Pacquiao! Did he have handwraps then?

Lets also look at other peoples destroyed faces. Margaritos after fighting Pacquiao. Handwraps?

Its stupid how this goes on and on. There was no proof he cheated. Simple. Yes he was caught with wraps before Mosley, but that does not mean he did it with Cotto.

And to just say "yeh look at Cottos face!" is ridiculous

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:13 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:

Lets also look at other peoples destroyed faces. Margaritos after fighting Pacquiao. Handwraps?

Its stupid how this goes on and on. There was no proof he cheated. Simple. Yes he was caught with wraps before Mosley, but that does not mean he did it with Cotto.

Yes lets look at how Cotto's face after pacquiao, he took less clean shots in Margarito fight with a lesser puncher (according to common opponents) and yet cotto's face was far worse in Margarito fight, Margarito got hit near 500 times by pacquiao and had lot of swelling, so did cotto vs Pacquiao, Cotto vs Margarito, cotto had less swelling but was more busted up - to get to the extent he was bleeding the beating would have been more severe, margarito beat other guys in a worse fashion but couldn't turn their faces like he made cotto's and cotto didn't cut or mark up that easily at that time

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

KO-KING wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

Yes lets look at how Cotto's face after pacquiao, he took less clean shots in Margarito fight with a lesser puncher (according to common opponents) and yet cotto's face was far worse in Margarito fight, Margarito got hit near 500 times by pacquiao and had lot of swelling, so did cotto vs Pacquiao, Cotto vs Margarito, cotto had less swelling but was more busted up - to get to the extent he was bleeding the beating would have been more severe, margarito beat other guys in a worse fashion but couldn't turn their faces like he made cotto's and cotto didn't cut or mark up that easily at that time

But Cotto is well known for scar tissue and busting up easily just like Ricky Hatton. If anyone takes clean punches your going to get beat up. Look at Froch on Bute, those shots bust his face up good and his left i was cut and nearly closed by round 4!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:31 am

KO-KING wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

That's baloney sir. Baloney!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:32 pm

KO-KING wrote:

That's baloney sir. Baloney![/quote]

Which part

- Cotto Did take more punches in the Pacquiao fight
- Common opponents have said Pacquiao hits harder than Margarito
- Margarito Did get hit with near 500 punches By Pacquiao
- Unless you cut very easily which cotto didn't at the time - for you to get the way he did - he would have taken a worse beating
-Margarito fought his normal fight and landed the same punches he does on everyone else yet it was cotto's face that reacted the worse
- At the Time Cotto didn't cut or mark up that easily - only after that fight didn't cut badly over and over again

Which part can you disagree with

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm

Shame about the gloves scandel. Other than that best wishes to a Mexican warrior who provided us with some great fights over the last decade

Regards and respect to El Tornado de Tijuana

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

KO-KING wrote:
KO-KING wrote:

Which part

I dont know, maybe do a little bit of research and provide numbers to back up your claim?
Who?
Whats that go to do with Cotto's beating?
- Unless you cut very easily which cotto didn't at the time - for you to get the way he did - he would have taken a worse beating
Cotto had never face anyone he walked him down and disrespected his power as much as Marg, Marg lanaded the most punches on him from any fighter he had faced at that time. Did he have plaster on his chin aswell?
-Margarito fought his normal fight and landed the same punches he does on everyone else yet it was cotto's face that reacted the worse
Cotto had never faced any type of adverstiy in the run up to this fight, he didnt know what to do when his power wasnt havent an effect on him and was clueless, making basic errors like walking backwards and he was getting taggerd more on more as the fight wore on. Marg just out toughed him and he quit. You try telling that to Cintron and Martinez!
- At the Time Cotto didn't cut or mark up that easily - only after that fight didn't cut badly over and over again
As above
Practically all of it, its actually quite bassless[/quote]

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

margarito was a great fighter. he may have cheated but so have many other boxers. cotto trying to stick his thumb in margaritos damaged eye was as cowardly and cynical as the wraps margarito tried to wear against mosley. unfortunately a lot of people hav their head up cottos ass, and find it more convenient to dismiss margs victory over him. cotto managed to avoid engaging marg with better footwork in the rematch, he was still afraid to take shots from him, so im convinced marg was not cheating in their first fight.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

Margarito is a disgrace to boxing. We did an experiment in the gym actually as I was telling people why this man was so dangerous - people were disagreeing with me, so i showed them the fight and they also were skeptical that Margarito wouldn't have done the same with normal wraps as opposed to having plaster in his gloves.

I'm sure you're all aware that professional boxers tend to wear 8oz gloves, and at amateur we tend to wear 12oz - that difference in weight might not feel like much, but trust me, they're so much safer because of the padding. We only had access to one 8oz pair of gloves so we couldn't spar with 2 but one person had 12oz and one had 8oz and was holding a oval shaped pebble, just small enough to wrap your fingers around and have your hand slightly open, meaning the fist is as clenched as it can be whilst having the feedback and solid weight - not padding.

The person with 12oz gloves was a light heavyweight - the person with the 8oz gloves was a welterweight.

The guy with 12oz gloves said after 2 rounds it felt like he was fighting another light heavy (both were equal in terms of skill) and he said that he felt like the punches were almost bare knuckle.

Bear in mind this was sparring, not an actual fight, and they had full protection on.

Fact is, the difference was huge the fact that the welterweight had much heavier punches, they were harder, less padding and made the light heavy feel like someone 30lbs lighter was hitting on the same level.

I hate Margarito, he should have been charged with GBH, I loved watching Pacquiao hammer him everywhere. Deserved to be blinded for what he put Cotto through.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:21 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
KO-KING wrote:
KO-KING wrote:

Which part

I dont know, maybe do a little bit of research and provide numbers to back up your claim? - Pac landed 336, margarito 267
Who? - Mosley
Whats that go to do with Cotto's beating? - Was a reply to the original post I was answering
Cotto had never face anyone he walked him down and disrespected his power as much as Marg, Marg lanaded the most punches on him from any fighter he had faced at that time. Did he have plaster on his chin aswell? Ofcourse not, but he wore down cotto with his plaster hands to reduce cotto's power - If you've ever been in the ring you would realise that more punches you take the less snap and power you have on your own punches
Cotto had never faced any type of adverstiy in the run up to this fight, he didnt know what to do when his power wasnt havent an effect on him and was clueless, making basic errors like walking backwards and he was getting taggerd more on more as the fight wore on. Marg just out toughed him and he quit. You try telling that to Cintron and Martinez!
As above
Practically all of it, its actually quite bassless
[/quote]

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:22 pm

Margarito's shots are harder than Manny's. They are more clubbing and for that reason will do more damage. Manny's shots seem harder to those getting punched because they arrive quick and without warning, thus they give them the white flash. Margo's shots are harder but DAMN HE'S SLOW. This allows opponents to brace themselves or take the sting away with a lean-back/push off or roll. Punches you see coming don't momentarily seperate you from consciousness but rather they mark you up. For that reason, you'd probably say the faster boxer punches harder.....untill you look in the mirrorr!!! haha!!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

The major issue I have with the accusations against Margarito for the Cotto fight is very simple, would a man with loaded gloves take them off and start shaking hands with his opponent and his team?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

Bottom line is that there is zip evidence that Marg had loaded gloves against Cotto. Cotto is making excuses for taking a knee and quitting.

He got out machoed my Marg and is squabbling for excuses. Boxers are the biggest liars to themselves.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:58 pm

azania wrote:Bottom line is that there is zip evidence that Marg had loaded gloves against Cotto. Cotto is making excuses for taking a knee and quitting.

He got out machoed my Marg and is squabbling for excuses. Boxers are the biggest liars to themselves.

No evidence. But doesn't mean he wasn't using them. He got caught once, doesn't mean he only used them once. Bye bye Margarito, dissapear and never return please.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
azania wrote:Bottom line is that there is zip evidence that Marg had loaded gloves against Cotto. Cotto is making excuses for taking a knee and quitting.

No evidence. But doesn't mean he wasn't using them. He got caught once, doesn't mean he only used them once. Bye bye Margarito, dissapear and never return please.

No evidence that he did. Innocent until proven guilty mate.

There is more evidence of boxers making up all manner of excuses after a loss though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Margarito is a disgrace to boxing. We did an experiment in the gym actually as I was telling people why this man was so dangerous - people were disagreeing with me, so i showed them the fight and they also were skeptical that Margarito wouldn't have done the same with normal wraps as opposed to having plaster in his gloves.

I'm sure you're all aware that professional boxers tend to wear 8oz gloves, and at amateur we tend to wear 12oz - that difference in weight might not feel like much, but trust me, they're so much safer because of the padding. We only had access to one 8oz pair of gloves so we couldn't spar with 2 but one person had 12oz and one had 8oz and was holding a oval shaped pebble, just small enough to wrap your fingers around and have your hand slightly open, meaning the fist is as clenched as it can be whilst having the feedback and solid weight - not padding.

The person with 12oz gloves was a light heavyweight - the person with the 8oz gloves was a welterweight.

The guy with 12oz gloves said after 2 rounds it felt like he was fighting another light heavy (both were equal in terms of skill) and he said that he felt like the punches were almost bare knuckle.

Bear in mind this was sparring, not an actual fight, and they had full protection on.

Fact is, the difference was huge the fact that the welterweight had much heavier punches, they were harder, less padding and made the light heavy feel like someone 30lbs lighter was hitting on the same level.

I hate Margarito, he should have been charged with GBH, I loved watching Pacquiao hammer him everywhere. Deserved to be blinded for what he put Cotto through.

Amateur competition gloves are 10oz and we spar with 14oz/16oz. You must come from a tough club if you's spar with 12's!! censored
I'm sure i remember competing wearing 8oz as a juniour??... (i might be mistaken though, it was 16 year ago)
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:28 pm

Point 1: Whether it can be proved or not, I do believe Margarito used loaded gloves against Cotto. Even if he didn't, he did attempt to do it against Shane Mosely. This is not forgivable.

Point 2: If I'm not mistaken, Margarito set a compibox record for punches thrown in one of his fights. With a broken hand.

Again, if I'm not mistaken, he sustained a career ending facial injury in round 4 against Pacquiao. He went the full 12.

It pains me to admit this, because I despise him, but few champions have half the pure blind heart and toughness of Antonio Margarito. There's a lot to be admired about this scum bag.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:35 pm

Here's an idea rather that worry about how the place is moderated try commenting on boxing occasionally, either that or feel free to find somewhere else on line to waste your days. I deleted the Kell Brook comments on here because given I am bored to the back teeth of reading them I struggle to imagine how bored JM is and can assure you once this is posted the comment quoting lances hilarious post will be joining it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:43 pm

Kind of wish him well for the future... Boxing is a tough sport and he took his beatings with stoicism......

No one really has a problem with Aaron pryor and give him the benefit of the doubt....

He has a family so hope he brings them up well and is happy to live with a tarnished image....and that he KEEPS his money!!

Wouldn't wish blindness on anybody though.....we don't need that!!

All for scientific experiments in gyms though.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:49 pm

I am red penning, purely to show support for Rowley. Blind support, forever!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:51 pm

Anybody told you that red pen makes you look almost beefsterish!!!!

I'm not going to come home to find you in bed with my Mrs am I???

Then again I'm always up for a threesome!! raspberry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:52 pm

Scumbag or not, Margarito is one of the toughest fighters i've ever seen, loaded gloves don't give you a chin like he has.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:52 pm

What did I miss?

Yes we spar with 12's - through choice mainly as its closer to the 10's.

We use 16's on the bag though, and pads.

I don't know why its questioned that I box, I'm not claiming I've sparred with anyone anymore, so cheers Rowley if you've cleaned up people trying to be funny, but you never know, it could have been amusing!

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

I've had the misfortune of reading the posts, I wouldn't class them as amusing.

Rowley and the other mods have better things to do than remove posts insulting other users, if any of them decided that bans were warranted should it continue - they would have my full support.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

I think Rowley is in the mood to clean people up!!!

JM I'll be honest with you Mate.....

Most of us come from the old 606 which tended to be a warzone sometimes!!! as the mods here and most of the above can tell you...

We took our garbage and gave it back.....It was kind of accepted no one took it personally... and then we came back for some more!!

You say on the one hand you're a tough gym warrior and then you go crying to the mods about little things...

Take your garbage as a badge of honor Mate and that you are accepted on here....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:06 pm

Don't worry mate, I was around for the more...automated moderation of the old 606 and if im honest sometimes it was fun although I was never in a war myself. I'm all for a bit of banter like I've said but if it borders on malicious then its a bit much.

Oh well c'est la vie. I'll just keep away from mentioning anything about my experience and stick to boxers. It'll deter little bullies and prevent me from causing a situation where the mods need to jump in!

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

You see...You put in " deter little bullies" as If to attract moths to the flame mate...

Oh well............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:11 pm

Haha bloody hell. I was making a point . Am sorry for taking his gym sparring exploits with a pinch of salt thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

boxing

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

boxing

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:28 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote: boxing

JabMachineMK2 wrote: boxing

boxing

I thought I'll carry on the trend

Last edited by KO-KING on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Anybody told you that red pen makes you look almost beefsterish!!!!

I'm not going to come home to find you in bed with my Mrs am I???

Then again I'm always up for a threesome!! raspberry

Hahaha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:31 pm

seems like everything gets blown out of all proportion whenever margarito is involved. misfortune and bans seems to follow him around. bit pathetic if you ask me. would like to have seen a marg martinez rematch before he retired.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm

I wouldve liked to see him against Mayorga. Both of them widely disliked. Both of them had no fear in the ring. As Ghosty says, Margarito's chin was something else. Against Mayorga's gunz a blazin style. War.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next