The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

+55
ChequeredJersey
doctor_grey
Ozzy3213
nobbled
maestegmafia
wolfball
yappysnap
Suspicious lurker
Pal Joey
dogtooth
Cari
FerN
Zander
eirebilly
mankiaow
Otagolad
marty2086
MMC
MrsP
Gibson
nganboy
aucklandlaurie
emack2
profitius
Ignited
Gretgael1
kiakahaaotearoa
The Great Aukster
SecretFly
chewed_mintie
disneychilly
Pete330v2
Mickado
clivemcl
Taylorman
blackcanelion
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rava
Hookisms and Hyperbole
JmD
valjester
LeinsterFan4life
Rory_Gallagher
GunsGerms
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Thomond
red_stag
munster23
Sin é
rodders
Artful_Dodger
BoyneRFC
Biltong
59 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread. - Page 10 Empty Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sorry boys new thread other one is full.

Venue for the 2nd test: AMI Stadium (Addington) - formerly Rugby League Park Christchurch
Capacity: 26,000 incl. temporary seating
Weather http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2192362 (current forecast for Saturday evening is around 3 degrees C and light rain. But last week's snow has melted at least)

courtesy of Taylorman:
NZ team named- only one change- Thompson for Vito (injured) with Sam Cane on the bench...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7098902/Thomson-in-for-Vito-Cane-on-All-Blacks-bench

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Zac Guildford, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Adam Thomson, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Sam Cane, Ali Williams, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith

Irish team:
15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
6 - Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 - Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster)
18 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Tour Previews
http://www.v2journal.com/new-zealands-june-tests-preview.html
http://www.v2journal.com/irelands-summer-tour.html

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:08 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Added team info)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread. - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:38 am

[quote="Sin é"]
Pete330v2 wrote:No Reddan no win.
Add that to playing Trimble playing out of position to facilitate a centre who really isn't best played on the wing and I ask you, is Kidney truely that gormless and blind?

Getting the excuses in early I see Very Happy

Someone has to Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread. - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:47 am

clivemcl wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Zebo Heineken Cup - 4 tries in 5 starts. (Gilroy 3 tries in 9 starts)

I'm not saying Gilroy hasn't been playing well. He hasn't being scoring a lot of tries this season.

He made Hurley look silly - who isn't pacy enough (and who you may have noticed isn't in New Zealand either).

Not the try scoring thing again! Can I put this really simply...

If players with numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 15 are scoring tries (or kicking points), then players 11 and 14 will be scoring less tries. You cannot isolate two wingers from completely different sides and compare their try scoring as if they were provided with the same chances, the same amount of ball, playing the same gameplan.

Tries are not an adequate representation of a wingers talent and you know it!

I said he was a good player, but you need at least one good finisher in your side out wide. All players need to play the basics of their positions - i.e., a prop scrummage, a hooker hit his man in the lineout, a lock win ball in the lineout etc. etc. The issue with the Ireland team is that 1-15 are not really scoring tries so its a good idea to have at least one good finisher. Pity for Gilroy that Bowe isn't fit, he might be a good bet then.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:49 am

Sin é wrote:
clivemcl wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I'm not saying Gilroy hasn't been playing well. He hasn't being scoring a lot of tries this season.

He made Hurley look silly - who isn't pacy enough (and who you may have noticed isn't in New Zealand either).

If players with numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 15 are scoring tries (or kicking points), then players 11 and 14 will be scoring less tries. You cannot isolate two wingers from completely different sides and compare their try scoring as if they were provided with the same chances, the same amount of ball, playing the same gameplan.

I said he was a good player, but you need at least one good finisher in your side out wide. All players need to play the basics of their positions - i.e., a prop scrummage, a hooker hit his man in the lineout, a lock win ball in the lineout etc. etc. The issue with the Ireland team is that 1-15 are not really scoring tries so its a good idea to have at least one good finisher. Pity for Gilroy that Bowe isn't fit, he might be a good bet then.

I'll give you credit if you show me some instances where Gilroy didnt 'finish' tries you think Zebo would have. Truth is, you are basing Gilroys ability as a finisher on the number of tries he's scored. I've already highlighted the folly of this.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:50 am

clivemcl wrote:
Gibson wrote:
clivemcl wrote:ha, Gibson, i wasnt actually taking it thick, more like continuing the ridiculous.

by the way I was hinting at option c) rather than having a go at Leinsters players! thumbsup

Cool man. OK

TBH, we miss 1F and T Bowe badly. And POC. No sheet. We cant afford to be without them. That much was obvious last weekend.

i do agree, but it annoys me that we cant still be clinical without them. Take three core players out of NZ, Aus, SA, France, England, even maybe Wales, and they dont have a huge drop in ability. Theres still enough talent there to be doing a LOT better.

NZ were pretty poor without Carter, and they pumped Richie full of drugs to keep him playing. How much did Aus miss Pocock for the Ireland world cup game?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:56 am

clivemcl wrote:
Sin é wrote:
clivemcl wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I'll give you credit if you show me some instances where Gilroy didnt 'finish' tries you think Zebo would have. Truth is, you are basing Gilroys ability as a finisher on the number of tries he's scored. I've already highlighted the folly of this.

Crickey, Zebo is playing for a team that has the worst outhalf & scrumhalf every to play the game of rugby. How do you think Gilroy would do in that situation?

I would also say that Zebo is just brilliant at claiming restarts, so its not just his ability to finish. He also has a great left boot on him.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

Sin é wrote:
clivemcl wrote:
Gibson wrote:
clivemcl wrote:ha, Gibson, i wasnt actually taking it thick, more like continuing the ridiculous.

by the way I was hinting at option c) rather than having a go at Leinsters players! thumbsup

Cool man. OK

TBH, we miss 1F and T Bowe badly. And POC. No sheet. We cant afford to be without them. That much was obvious last weekend.

i do agree, but it annoys me that we cant still be clinical without them. Take three core players out of NZ, Aus, SA, France, England, even maybe Wales, and they dont have a huge drop in ability. Theres still enough talent there to be doing a LOT better.

NZ were pretty poor without Carter, and they pumped Richie full of drugs to keep him playing. How much did Aus miss Pocock for the Ireland world cup game?

If you call being able to win a World Cup poor then I'll take that criticism every time. So what are NZ like with Carter? Average?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

Irish team:

15 - Rob Kearney - I'd have given him 7/10 for his performance by his standard, I expect a 9/10 for this game. He never lets us down.
14 - Fergus McFadden - I can't imagine why Kidney thinks this is a good choice but I expect to see him exposed once again, hardly fair on the player.
13 - Brian O'Driscoll - IMO he seemed desperate to prove something when he has nothing to prove but still played so well. Back to vintage O'Driscoll this weekend.
12 - Gordon D'Arcy - If he's on top of his game he and BOD still make good centre partnership, unfortunately we need something more, something we just don't have. Fingers crossed here.
11 - Andrew Trimble - Right and left wingers have different skill sets. Trimble being a right winger always looks a little high and dry at 11 in my opinion and is better employed at 14.
10 - Jonathan Sexton - Doesn't have the same playing relationship with Murray and can't play his best game because of it.
9 - Conor Murray - Panicy and slow at times and physicality means nothing if the other aspects of your game don't come up to scratch. I so much want to see him do well but he and Sexton just don't gel.
1 - Cian Healy - Pure class, I love to see his name on the team sheet.
2 - Rory Best - Rory's becoming an animal, a beast. An example to all around him.
3 - Mike Ross - Good to see him back and with Fitzy on the bench at least we're covered at TH.
4 - Dan Tuohy - Needs a hell of a game, so physical and athletic for Ulster all season but went missing last week IMO.
5 - Donnacha Ryan - He just needs to keep doing what he's doing, he's a physical presence and our future at 5.
6 - Kevin McLaughlin - A good choice at last from Kidney, it's sad to see POM dropped but Kevin has his time to shine and I fully expect him to.
7 - Sean O'Brien - No need to say anything here. What a beast of a player.
8 - Jamie Heaslip - Played well enough to retain his place and didn't knee anyone in the head.

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin - Will come on to have a few searing runs, I love to see him with ball in hand....ooooo matron!!
17 - Declan Fitzpatrick - Has proved that he needs to be on Irish teams sheets from now on, well done Dekkie.
18 - Donncha O'Callaghan - This is the same DOC we always get isn't it? I am confused, I thought his time had gone.
19 - Peter O'Mahony - I'm a fan of this guy and think he was unlucky not to have been given another starting chance.
20 - Eoin Reddan - SHOULD HAVE STARTED WITH SEXTON
21 - Ronan O'Gara - SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT AT THE BAGGAGE CAROUSEL
22 - Simon Zebo - Played well and should have started with Trimble on the opposite wing.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:01 am

disneychilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:
clivemcl wrote:
Gibson wrote:

Cool man. OK

If you call being able to win a World Cup poor then I'll take that criticism every time. So what are NZ like with Carter? Average?

Average enough to need the help of the ref to get them over the line. You forget they got knocked out in '07 when Carter got injured?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

Love the edit Pete!

Whistle

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:05 am

Pete330v2 wrote:Irish team:

15 - Rob Kearney - I'd have given him 7/10 for his performance by his standard, I expect a 9/10 for this game. He never lets us down.
14 - Fergus McFadden - I can't imagine why Kidney thinks this is a good choice but I expect to see him exposed once again, hardly fair on the player.
13 - Brian O'Driscoll - IMO he seemed desperate to prove something when he has nothing to prove but still played so well. Back to vintage O'Driscoll this weekend.
12 - Gordon D'Arcy - If he's on top of his game he and BOD still make good centre partnership, unfortunately we need something more, something we just don't have. Fingers crossed here.
11 - Andrew Trimble - Right and left wingers have different skill sets. Trimble being a right winger always looks a little high and dry at 11 in my opinion and is better employed at 14.
10 - Jonathan Sexton - Doesn't have the same playing relationship with Murray and can't play his best game because of it.
9 - Conor Murray - Panicy and slow at times and physicality means nothing if the other aspects of your game don't come up to scratch. I so much want to see him do well but he and Sexton just don't gel.
2 - Rory Best - Rory's becoming an animal, a beast. An example to all around him.
3 - Mike Ross - Good to see him back and with Fitzy on the bench at least we're covered at TH.
4 - Dan Tuohy - Needs a hell of a game, so physical and athletic for Ulster all season but went missing last week IMO.
5 - Donnacha Ryan - He just needs to keep doing what he's doing, he's a physical presence and our future at 5.
6 - Kevin McLaughlin - A good choice at last from Kidney, it's sad to see POM dropped but Kevin has his time to shine and I fully expect him to.
8 - Jamie Heaslip - Played well enough to retain his place and didn't knee anyone in the head.

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin - Will come on to have a few searing runs, I love to see him with ball in hand....ooooo matron!!
17 - Declan Fitzpatrick - Has proved that he needs to be on Irish teams sheets from now on, well done Dekkie.
18 - Donncha O'Callaghan - This is the same DOC we always get isn't it? I am confused, I thought his time had gone.
19 - Peter O'Mahony - I'm a fan of this guy and think he was unlucky not to have been given another starting chance.
22 - Simon Zebo - Played well and should have started with Trimble on the opposite wing.

Love it Pete. Spot on.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:15 am

Gibson wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Irish team:

Replacements:

Love it Pete. Spot on.

Love you too....oops!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:20 am

Sin é wrote:
disneychilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:
clivemcl wrote:
Gibson wrote:

Cool man. OK

Average enough to need the help of the ref to get them over the line. You forget they got knocked out in '07 when Carter got injured?

Noone in NZ forgets that mate. The ref didn't exactly help NZ in that game and the other world class 10 happened to get injured too. Tell you what if Barnes had reffed the final and Carter had been fit NZ would have won by more. Weepu's gift was the only time France looked like scoring a try-NZ's defence was magnificent. Didn't think they were poor vs Aussie in the semi either.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:28 am

- Ross in for Fitzpatrick, fair enough.

- D'Arcy in for the injured Earls- no problems there.

- McLaughlin for O'Mahony is a 50/50 that IMO should've gone with POM but I'm not too bothered by that decision.

- Keeping McFadden who was so cruelly exposed as being out of position while replacing the "not-as-bad-but-could-improve" Zebo on the left wing with a RIGHT winger is one of the most baffling decisions I've seen Kidney make in a while.

I think my patience has just about run out with him.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:32 am

disneychilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:
disneychilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:
clivemcl wrote:
Gibson wrote:

Cool man. OK

Noone in NZ forgets that mate. The ref didn't exactly help NZ in that game and the other world class 10 happened to get injured too. Tell you what if Barnes had reffed the final and Carter had been fit NZ would have won by more. Weepu's gift was the only time France looked like scoring a try-NZ's defence was magnificent. Didn't think they were poor vs Aussie in the semi either.

NZ are a different team with Carter pulling the strings though. Compare the two v. French world cup games. In the first one, NZ (with Carter) scored 5 tries.

2nd game it was just a Woodcock try and a penalty. As soon as Carter was out, the tries dried up from the backs for the ABs.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:37 am

I agree with you there. I'm just debating your point that they were poor in general. I'm not sure whose standards you were judging them on.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:38 am

MMC wrote: - Ross in for Fitzpatrick, fair enough.

- McLaughlin for O'Mahony is a 50/50 that IMO should've gone with POM but I'm not too bothered by that decision.

- Keeping McFadden who was so cruelly exposed as being out of position while replacing the "not-as-bad-but-could-improve" Zebo on the left wing with a RIGHT winger is one of the most baffling decisions I've seen Kidney make in a while.

This I can agree with. If anyone can come up with an explanation for this I'd love to hear it.

I predicted D'Arcy would start. I'm not altogether happy with it but our options aren't great.
If Ross is fully fit then no problem him starting over Deccie. I just hope the both of them survive to be around again next weekend.
I like the look of the back row for this one. POM shouldn't be too despondent. This would have been a close call.

The fact he dropped Zebo is silly as I said but to have him covering the outside backs on the bench is then also a strange decision. Fully expect to see the Sexton to 12/ROG to 10 change around 55 or 60 minutes.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:38 am

I think all those calls are fair enough. I suspect that Zebo was dropped because Earls is out (used to playing with each other at provincial level*) and Andrew Trimble generally plays on that side anyway when playing for Ireland, so BOD & D'Arcy combo is nothing new to him.

If Earls is fit next week, I'd expect Zebo to be reinstated with Trimble on the right wing and McFadden dropped to the bench. Good rotation of your wingers.

*Another reason for why Zebo might have been preferred to Gilroy.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

disneychilly wrote:I agree with you there. I'm just debating your point that they were poor in general. I'm not sure whose standards you were judging them on.

The ABs are more or less unbeatable with Carter & McCaw. Take the two of them out, and they are. Similar situation for Ireland (though Ireland are always beatable Very Happy ) when BOD & POC are out.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

The Mcfadden selection smacks of stubborn egotism.

McFadden was a poor pick for the first test but Kidney doesn't want to back down and prefers to undermine young Zebo rather than admit his mistake.

Presumably taking pity on Zebo he puts him on the bench, rather than his 15 cover pick Duffy! So presumably Duffy is third choice 15 after Kearney and... er... hmmm...
For those with who are still rational it is clear that Kidney is losing his marbles at such a rate, Les Kiss may have to take over for the third Test.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

Sin é wrote:

I think all those calls are fair enough. I suspect that Zebo was dropped because Earls is out (used to playing with each other at provincial level*) and Andrew Trimble generally plays on that side anyway when playing for Ireland, so BOD & D'Arcy combo is nothing new to him.

If Earls is fit next week, I'd expect Zebo to be reinstated with Trimble on the right wing and McFadden dropped to the bench. Good rotation of your wingers.

But McFadden shouldn't be one of our wingers Sin. It's one thing having a rotation policy but surely on the "first rotation" - for want of a better phrase - you bench the guy who performed less well.

As for Trimble playing at 11 for Ireland that's only because the right wing is also Bowe's favourite side.

If anything, even the fact that McFadden covers multiple positions from the bench ahead of Zebo's one is another reason to put him there.

On the issue of cover for different positions, Earls is a big loss really.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:02 am

Sin é wrote:

But plays all season at 14......
He isn't even on his greatest form at 14 but utterly unproven at 11.

Mind you he'll have to get used to it with the return of the Bowe to Ulster Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

From the Independent -

NUMBER OF THE DAY

1-- The number of Ireland victories over a side ranked above them in their last 15 matches (Australia at the World Cup).
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

Surely Trimble will lose out for Ulster next season:

01 Court
02 Best
03 Afoa

04 Muller
05 Tuohy

06 Ferris
07 Henry
08 Wilson

09 Pienaar
10 Jackson

11 Gilroy
12 Wallace
13 Cave
14 Bowe
15 Payne

16 Herring
17 McAllister
18 Fitzpatrick
19 Stevenson
20 Botes
21 Marshall
22 Spence
23 Trimble

Last edited by red_stag on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:10 am

Rava wrote:From the Independent -

NUMBER OF THE DAY

1-- The number of Ireland victories over a side ranked above them in their last 15 matches (Australia at the World Cup).

My god Crying or Very sad
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

NUMBER OF THE DAY

NUMBER OF THE DAY

15-- The number of Ireland MORAL victories over a side ranked above them in their last 15 matches.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

red_stag wrote:Surely Bowe Trimble? will lose out for Ulster next season:

01 Court
02 Best
03 Afoa

04 Muller
05 Tuohy

06 Ferris
07 Henry
08 Wilson

09 Pienaar
10 Jackson

11 Gilroy
12 Wallace
13 Cave
14 Bowe
15 Payne

16 Herring
17 McAllister
18 Fitzpatrick
19 Stevenson
20 Botes
21 Marshall
22 Spence
23 Trimble

That's a very very good looking team!
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:12 am

Wrong thread Stag, but I'd wait and see how the new coach calls it.
I can see a lot of rotation between the wingers so I don't think its as clear as you have indicated.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:13 am

red_stag wrote:

NUMBER OF THE DAY

NUMBER OF THE DAY

15-- The number of Ireland MORAL victories over a side ranked above them in their last 15 matches.

laughing
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

Oops wrong thread indeed.

Yes there will always be rotation as Bowe and either Gilroy/Trimble are going to be spending a fair bit of time with the national team etc.

But for the big Heineken Cup showdowns - a must win match against Northampton in Europe I reckon thats what they will be going for.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:17 am

No Zebo= joke. McFadden shouldn't be near that side. Okay with D'Arcy, I mean Earls is out. McLaughlin being in is fair enough, POM wasn't at his best.
I think we need a combination of Murray/Reddan. There's a reason Reddan doesn't start a lot of the away HC games. Unleash Reddan at half time or 50 minutes in and see what he can do.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:22 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0614/1224317876505.html

Kidney gives Murray his backing at nine - GERRY THORNLEY in Christchurch

On the premise that some of those who underperformed in the first Test will now be more acquainted with the unremittingly rapid tempo when playing the All Blacks, Declan Kidney has limited changes to the Irish team beaten 42-10 in Auckland last Saturday for this Saturday's second Test in Christchurch.

The fit-again Mike Ross returns at tighthead for Declan Fitzpatrick, while Gordon D'Arcy renews his world record midfield partnership with Brian O'Driscoll, who in turn reverts to his more familiar outside entre role in the absence of Keith Earls. The only other changes see Andrew Trimble recalled, with Simon Zebo dropping to the bench, and Kevin McLaughlin is promoted at the expense of Peter O'Mahony.

Kidney has thus retained Dan Tuohy, a relatively subdued performer in the first Test, on the basis that he is a better player than he showed in Eden Park, Conor Murray (whose service certainly needs to sharpen up) and Fergus McFadden, who also had a difficult night defensively, and whose direct counterpart, Julian Savea, scored a hat-trick on his debut.

The wonder is that with an all-Leinster backrow and a 10-12-13 Leinster axis in midfield, Kidney didn't opt for the Leinster linkman at the hub of that Heineken Cup combination, namely Eoin Reddan. Instead, Kidney has persisted with Murray. Given Ireland's approach was to play almost everything through Jonathan Sexton, it's surprising that he wasn't outside Reddan, with whom he enjoys a familiar and intuitive partnership.

"I suppose, I wasn't looking at where they were from, what I was looking at was how guys are going," said Kidney. "I would be tempted to go with Redser all right. In fairness he's unlucky not to be going. We're giving Conor a backing . . . Redser's unlucky but it never has anything to do with where fellas are from. Sometimes you do get any combinations like that but Conor and Johnny have had a fair few games together under their belt too.

"He has a strong defensive game but Conor will learn. He is in his first year of Test rugby. To be doing what he's doing; he has 10 caps under his belt but it's still the first year of Test rugby and of Heineken Cup. There's been a hell of a lot of learning this year. He's done some good things, he's done some things that at other times you have to see where you're going to go with somebody, and yea, Redser is unlucky. I said that to him."

"Redser came in for 20 minutes the last day. He did a lot of things right, a few things where there was a bit of pressure on him too. There's a balance in everything. There's no point in me giving you one word for it other than saying yea, Conor is getting a bit of backing this week."

Kidney intimated that recalling Trimble had been partially a pre-laid plan. "We gave Simon (Zebo) a run in the Baa Baas match and last week's match, he did some good things and there are some things he has to work on. Andrew played the whole Six Nations for us and is probably one of the highest fellahs in terms of game time during the season so I didn't think it was prudent to play him in all four games so on the back of the Baa Baas match we gave Simon the first Test and now Andrew."

Given the scars of last week, it's surprising McFadden was the one retained, or failing that, that he isn't swapping wings.

"We could (switch), but left wing and right are two totally different positions," said Kidney, "so if you're exposed on the right you're definitely going to be exposed on the left."

McLaughlin's promotion to the starting line-up follows a tight call between himself and O'Mahony last week. "In the first match, it was a real toss-up between Kevin and Peter as to who played six. We gave Peter the first one, you think of where we are now. Kevin will give us real freshness into the team. That freshness is going to help us on Saturday night."

The coach gave the impression that for all the sniping and dismissiveness of much of the New Zealand media, the Irish camp have had such an intense focus on themselves that they are largely immune from the brickbats.

"We took a good look at things on Monday with the players and saw where we went wrong so the focus this week will be 99 per cent on ourselves, we need to get ourselves right and not be concentrating on the others. We know the turnovers, a few areas of the game like kick-offs, both for and against, we can improve in those two areas that will give us so much more ball, percentages of possession and territory if we can start improving them, it's a different game."

The wing selection still doesn't make sense, and as for the reason behind the scrum half selection ... Headscratch
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:22 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

But plays all season at 14......
He isn't even on his greatest form at 14 but utterly unproven at 11.

Mind you he'll have to get used to it with the return of the Bowe to Ulster Smile

Trimble form hasn't been great in general over the last few months for Ulster, but he had a decent enough 6Ns at 11 (he even scored a few tries there Wink ) something he hasn't done in years for Ireland.

Fergus McFadden usually plays right wing when he does play on the wing. The fact that he has just had 80 mins against Savea + video analysis afterwards might mean that its better to stick with him rather than throwing another newbie out there.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:22 am

wrote:Irish team:
15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
6 - Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Looking over the team as a whole - I do like the balance of that backrow. The front row looks strong, and this time we have a good prop on the bench (the 23 man squads can't come fast enough).

The second row is what I'd have chosen - I'm hoping that Tuohy puts himself about a bit more this time. Looks a bit short for 2nd row IMO.... Whistle

I'm hoping the backline performs a lot better this time (it can't be worse!). Losing Earls is a blow but I'm hoping that BOD and D'Arcy have good games. I hope that McFadden has learned from last week and gets himself in the right positions. Trimble won't let anyone down.

I do worry that we have no "spark" in that backline though. Kearney is probably the only one I can see creating something from nothing.

Oh one other thing - I really really really hope we sort out the restarts this weekend. I've never seen a team as clueless about restarts as we were last weekend. Who's decision was it kick long to the right and centre of the ABs 22 every single time?? Not a single one was put up for Zebo to try and gather. Not one. Baffling.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:22 am

Thomond wrote:No Zebo= joke. McFadden shouldn't be near that side. Okay with D'Arcy, I mean Earls is out. McLaughlin being in is fair enough, POM wasn't at his best.
I think we need a combination of Murray/Reddan. There's a reason Reddan doesn't start a lot of the away HC games. Unleash Reddan at half time or 50 minutes in and see what he can do.

Boss is more physical but his pass is slightly slower. Murray is as physically imposing as Boss but his passing is WAAAAY slower.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:26 am

His pass isn't slow it's his service. That's correctable, so he needs to either work on at with the new Munster coaches or hopefully Stringer will give him some tips (some of the fastest service I've ever seen). Murray has the ability for it, he got into the Munster and Ireland setup for his size and quick ball.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:39 am

How many more days on that kidney clock?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:41 am

Thomond wrote:His pass isn't slow it's his service. That's correctable, so he needs to either work on at with the new Munster coaches or hopefully Stringer will give him some tips (some of the fastest service I've ever seen). Murray has the ability for it, he got into the Munster and Ireland setup for his size and quick ball.

Sorry, you're correct. His service is slow and it can be improved. But right now, starting him is not the correct option. I don't want him thrown on the slag heap, he's potentially Irelands best, but he's not there right now.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:44 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Reddan start but I think a combination could work well.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:46 am

Sin é, this is from another newspaper report on the team selection: -

Dan Tuohy and Donnacha Ryan resume their second-row partnership, with Kidney emphasising the Ulster man's proficiency at the line-out as the primary reason why Donncha O'Callaghan remains on the replacement's bench.

No mention of Tuohy being too short Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

Mickado wrote:
Thomond wrote:His pass isn't slow it's his service. That's correctable, so he needs to either work on at with the new Munster coaches or hopefully Stringer will give him some tips (some of the fastest service I've ever seen). Murray has the ability for it, he got into the Munster and Ireland setup for his size and quick ball.

Sorry, you're correct. His service is slow and it can be improved. But right now, starting him is not the correct option. I don't want him thrown on the slag heap, he's potentially Irelands best, but he's not there right now.

Absolutely Mick, a badly managed player placed in the wrong position/combination is as bad as utilising an average player in the right position. It has the same effect in producing a weak link against a team that profits on exactly what weak links produce, mistakes. DK also utilising a player at 14 who was cruelly exposed last week both physically and positionally. Trimble offers more experience and physicality at 14 no matter what people say about his form but can be exposed positionally on the left IMO. I mean D'arcy has played some dross in the Ireland shirt in recent times but I am hoping we can see a return to the form he shows more often when wearing blue and show us that when partnered with BOD they can still form a formidable international centre pairing. At least he's being played in his preferred position and therefore afforded every chance to do so unlike McFadden and Trimble.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
Mickado wrote:

Absolutely Mick, a badly managed player placed in the wrong position/combination is as bad as utilising an average player in the right position. It has the same effect in producing a weak link against a team that profits on exactly what weak links produce, mistakes. DK also utilising a player at 14 who was cruelly exposed last week both physically and positionally. Trimble offers more experience and physicality at 14 no matter what people say about his form but can be exposed positionally on the left IMO. I mean D'arcy has played some dross in the Ireland shirt in recent times but I am hoping we can see a return to the form he shows more often when wearing blue and show us that when partnered with BOD they can still form a formidable international centre pairing. At least he's being played in his preferred position and therefore afforded every chance to do so unlike McFadden and Trimble.

I agree Pete, if one winger was to lose their place from last week I think it should have been McFadden. He’s getting quite a reputation for being a bad winger, when he’s really a pretty good center.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

Rava wrote:Sin é, this is from another newspaper report on the team selection: -

Dan Tuohy and Donnacha Ryan resume their second-row partnership, with Kidney emphasising the Ulster man's proficiency at the line-out as the primary reason why Donncha O'Callaghan remains on the replacement's bench.

(Ireland's lineout was adequate - Ryan took 5, Tuohy 2, O'Mahony 2. No steals! Sounds like he was searching for something good to say about him.

In the Belfast Telegraph, I presume Very Happy

from the Times (above):
Kidney has thus retained Dan Tuohy, a relatively subdued performer in the first Test, on the basis that he is a better player than he showed in Eden Park,
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:12 am

Sin é wrote:
Rava wrote:Sin é, this is from another newspaper report on the team selection: -

(Ireland's lineout was adequate - Ryan took 5, Tuohy 2, O'Mahony 2. No steals! Sounds like he was searching for something good to say about him.

from the Times (above):
Kidney has thus retained Dan Tuohy, a relatively subdued performer in the first Test, on the basis that he is a better player than he showed in Eden Park,

thumbsup Wink How did you guess?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:13 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
Mickado wrote:

McFadden, when he has played on the wing for Leinster & Ireland has been played at 14 (Luke & Earls always play 11 when on the wing).
Trimble, when he plays for Ireland, nearly always plays at 11 as Tommy Bowe is usually the starting winger at 14.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:17 am

Rava wrote:
Sin é wrote:

from the Times (above):

thumbsup Wink How did you guess?

They would be the only paper who would get away with putting that in writing.

By the way, I was reading Sean Fitzpatrick last week where he was saying how brilliant it was that the ABs now have 2 x 6'8" locks and what a difference that it makes to the lineout Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:19 am

How mant world cups have they won with the 2 x 6'8'' locks? Laugh

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:27 am

Sin é wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
Mickado wrote:

McFadden, when he has played on the wing for Leinster & Ireland has been played at 14 (Luke & Earls always play 11 when on the wing).
Trimble, when he plays for Ireland, nearly always plays at 11 as Tommy Bowe is usually the starting winger at 14.

Thanks for stengthening my point Wink.
Trimble's best position, the position he plays more RUGBY at and has excelled there for most of this season is 14. Rightly so shifted to 11 for Bowe who is by far our best player at 14 and has all the attributes that someone like McFadden misses on the right wing. However, to shift Trimble to 11 because McFadden has had a few games there for Leinster, doesn't specialise there and most certainly does not excel or thrive there is simply an enigma wrapped in confusion. I had always said Kidney was never the man for the Ireland post (on the old 606) and I am sad that I've been proven right.

P.S. he did not bring us the GS so don't use that old chestnut Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:31 am

Is there any chance of kidney being sacked before the next 6n?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

Who is covering 15 do we think?

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next