The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

+45
oldparwin
Doon the Water
Thomond
Dave.
ralphjohn69
George1507
mthierry
Slowride
beninho
Hibbz
LastDamnation
Diggers
SmithersJones
mystiroakey
monty junior
Faldono1fan
AlciG
kwinigolfer
Conehead
Sand
pedro
navyblueshorts
barragan
Plunky
NedB-H
twoeightnine
dynamark
raycastleunited
Leff
Islingtonv2
Shotrock
GPB
princedracula
hend085
delToro87
robopz
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Fader
McLaren
Skydriver
neutral07
sirbenson
super_realist
incontinentia
49 posters

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:06 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Notes this week from the Land That WiFi Forgot; but the beach cricket pitches are spectacular - if anyone only knew how to play. So: Notes very short, if not sweet.

2).Last week's entertainment in Memphis was predictably unpredictable. Good to have Dustin Johnson back in Victory Lane, but a short stint in front of the telly would have suggested that, if Rory had made just half the putts he missed under five feet, he'd have probably won.

3).Glimmer of form from two unlikely Aussie sources with Nick O'Hern registering his first top 25 finish of the season. Expect him also to play well in Hartford in a fortnight. And Robert Allenby was back on the leaderboard after a couple of months in the weeds. Allenby, who could always be depended upon for his ball-striking - and his unpredictable short game. Now the whole lot has been unpredictable. Maybe that will change with some confidence from a good result..

4).More good results from Greg Owen, now almost certain to qualify, not just for The Barclays, but for the Deutsche Bank also.

5).Dustin Johnson now has six wins since 2007 - only Woods (16), Mickelson (10), Stricker (9) and Zach (7) have more. About 3/1 against one of those five increasing his total this week?

6).Robert Karlsson has sunk to #50 in the World Rankings, perhaps just a continuation of his rotten form away from leaving for the Top 50 for the first time in over 4 years. The leaders in consecutive weeks in the top 50 might surprise:
Mickelson - 968
Donald - 406
Poulter - 299
Stricker - 275
Zach Johnson - 270
Westwood - 249
Kaymer - 229

7).No-one has won the US Open after winning on the PGA Tour the previous week, in recent history at least. Dustin Johnson has a lot to prove and his successes (and an ultimate disappointment) at Pebble Beach suggest that he's a strong candidate to upset that line in the record book. But the past two US Opens at Olympic have been won by Scott Simpson and Lee Janzen, top-class golfers to be sure but known better for steady play and sometimes excellent short games. Furyk-like, Donald, Stricker? Not sure I've got the faintest idea, but Olympic will certainly test the patience.

8).More as an item of interest than an indicator for this week, the 1998 leaders from this week's field include:
5th: Stricker
7th: Westwood
10th: Cink, Mickelson
14th: Furyk, Kuchar
18th: Woods
23rd: Casey Martin
25th: Bjorn, Singh,
32nd: Durant, Harrington
43th: Olin Browne
49th: Els

9).The forecast for Thursday and Friday at least suggests cool, breezy weather with temps not reaching 70F until the weekend. Combined with the traditional "heavy" ocean air, the course yardage of approx 7,100 yards will play much longer, especially given the very narrow actual landing areas on some fairways caused by the sloped landing areas. I'd guess that will favour a Westwood over a Donald, a Mahan over a Stricker, but really can't think of any "favourite".

10).So who are we going to be staying up late to see crowned "US Open Champion"? Not McIlroy or Donald for me, and not Bubba or even Tiger, despite his return to winning form at Memorial. In 2009 he won each of his last pre-Major start but came up empty; it would be a brave punter who bet on a repeat, but this may not be the opportunity for him. Best bet might be e.w. on someone like Peter Hanson. Or even a real stretch, Spencer Levin. And by that time I’ll have returned to the land of wi-fi.

From incontinentia (merged from another thread):

Site: The Olympic Club (Lake Course)

The course: The Lake Course was designed in 1924 by Willie Watson and Sam Whiting, and then Whiting redesigned it three years later because of significant storm damage. Its main characteristics are sloping, tree-lined fairways as the property works its way down toward Lake Merced. There is only one fairway bunker on the entire course, at the par-4 sixth. There have been minimal renovations over the years, except for a new hole created for the par-3 eighth that now plays 200 yards and was moved to the right. Hundreds of trees have been removed, opening views down toward Lake Merced.

Length: 7,170 yards
Par: 34-36—70

Last time at Olympic Club: Lee Janzen overcame a five-shot deficit against Payne Stewart and closed with a 2-under 68 for a two-shot victory. Janzen got a huge break in the final round when his ball, stuck in a tree on the fifth hole, was dislodged as Janzen was headed back to the tee to play his third shot. It was his second U.S. Open title.

U.S. Open champions at Olympic Club: Jack Fleck (1955), Billy Casper (1966), Scott Simpson (1987), Lee Janzen (1998).

Noteworthy: The four players who finished second in the U.S. Opens at The Olympic Club won a combined 27 majors. The four winners won a combined seven majors.

Quoteworthy: "Now we are going to get back to where it's not going to be so much fun and games out there. It's going to be hard work."—Johnny Miller on Olympic Club.

Key statistic: The U.S. Open is the only major Tiger Woods has not won in consecutive years.

Key coincidence: The U.S. Open champion played with Phil Mickelson in the opening two rounds twice in the last four years.

Tiger tales: Tiger Woods has gone four years without winning a major. The longest Jack Nicklaus went without a major was five years, a drought that began at age 41.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:24 am

I was surprised when I saw Freddie Jac on the standings. but a win for Freddie would vault him in front of Paul Lawrie on both lists.

I assume he is defending next week at Hartford, but I wonder if he is going to be having a European summer Vacation. Play the Irish Open, French Open, Scottish Open. He is not on the early commitment list at Royal Portrush.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Not quite so warm as originally predicted in the Bay Area today, temps in the high fifties for the early starters rising to the low seventies this afternoon.
No inkling yet how the course set-up is, but it is forecast to be breezy later on.

Simon Dyson (good to see him coming back to fitness) on his way down the first with the very disappointing Jason Day.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:24 pm

So if GPrat wins I guess he's on the list of worst players ever to win 2 majors ? Purely in terms of what else he's won part from those and his other major finishes, not that his career is over so sure that will change.
Bit of a weird leader board for a major, some unexpected names, if neither of the top 2 win guess it's wide open. Quite like to see Furyk win, or Westy or Woods.

Last edited by Diggers on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Don't mind Furyk, should probably have won more than his one major.
Obviously don't want Woods to win. He's got enough majors already. He doesn't need another and hopefully he's too far back to challenge.
Westwood though could do it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:49 pm

The 670 yd par 5 16th hole's tee has been moved up ~110 yds today. the final four holes should be 4 of the easiest holes on the course today. Someone three shots behind could make a bona fide move.

I do not like Westwood at all, but I am kind of rooting for him. Just like I was rooting for Monty at Winged Foot in 2006. I don't like to see any outstanding player have a very good career and not win a major.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

What is it you don't like about Westwood out of interest? Seems like a pretty down to earth bloke to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Just don't. I find him arrogant and fake. And a Puppet for Chubby in Chubby's feud with Finchem and the PGAT.

Three years ago he claimed that the reason he wasn't joining the PGAT was because his kids were on holiday during the FE playoffs, then he starts playing Euro tournaments during September last year. and this year he joins the PGAT.

The Players Championship snub last year. Saying that he wanted to play Quail Hollow before the Players but didn't have enough exemptions and he didn't want the jet lag going into Players.

And this year he plays in Sweden, 9 time zones away before the US Open.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:17 pm

26 golfers already at work and no-one under par so far.

Perhaps the USGA's idea is to keep the front nine a stiff test and invite birdies from those still standing over the final few holes.

Still seems a bit breezy and how baked out will some of those greens get?

Ah ha! A birdie for DLIII; the USGA won't like that . . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:31 pm

GPB wrote:Just don't. I find him arrogant and fake. And a Puppet for Chubby in Chubby's feud with Finchem and the PGAT.

Three years ago he claimed that the reason he wasn't joining the PGAT was because his kids were on holiday during the FE playoffs, then he starts playing Euro tournaments during September last year. and this year he joins the PGAT.

The Players Championship snub last year. Saying that he wanted to play Quail Hollow before the Players but didn't have enough exemptions and he didn't want the jet lag going into Players.

And this year he plays in Sweden, 9 time zones away before the US Open.

Drop me out- the above is hardly a big deal. We all make decisions and then change outlooks down the line..jeas

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Mon GMac! Make it 3 in a row for the Irish! Good luck to Pádraig too. Decent golfer, great man!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Id like to see gmac win- but not before LW. no way..

Padraig loves a ramble doesnt he- jeas he went off on one yesterday- I think he is to far back mind..

COMON LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 2587067636

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Why do some here think Gmac is a bad player? Surely Cabrera is far more deserving of the title of worst player to win 2 majors. Diggers, remember how well he played in 2010? That wasnt a fluke year, and i bet he will win more Majors than Mcilroy.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

gmac is obviously a top golfer- but i think it is far to say that some golfers are lucky to be in great form when a major comes around- and gmac could well be one of them.

However you do make your own luck and the fact that he is challeneging again means that he may well just be gearing himself up for these majors with good preparation.

fair play to him. But lets be very clear he has only won 1 major so far!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:50 pm

It was a bit of fun really, the guy can play. 2010 was a bit of an exception to the rest of his career but I'm sure he will win plenty more events though not sure that many majors.
That said not one of my favourite players and I dont see him winning today which means he probably will.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Re Westy, I have gone off him a bit but funnily enough just because he gets a bit chippy about the no major thing. If he wins one he will probably relax and be more chilled again and win a couple more.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

No player under par today...so far

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Paudie is too far back, I tipped him in the competition though so hoping he picks up a few. As long as I don't finish last. If I finish ahead of WillyGilly I would be delighted!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Drop me out- the above is hardly a big deal. We all make decisions and then change outlooks down the line..jeas

I was asked why I don't like Westy. I gave some of my reasons.

Last edited by GPB on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Why is there so much 'i like him' or 'i dont like him' or i used to like him more on here - lol its like being in Nero at 10:00 am packed to the brim with prams and mothers!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Mysti, makes watching sport a bit interesting if you have preferred players. I need to take a side otherwise it's all a bit dull.
I've seen you have plenty of opinions on the footie board re a few guys, it's no different really.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Can't see any reason for disparagement of McDowell - don't think he'll ever be a frequent tournament winner, but would have thought he's proved himself on the world stage, with more success to come.

But then I wouldn't be knocking Cabrera either.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:04 pm

I allways take a side as well diggs and support the english as you and most know.. I also support my bets as well mind.. And europeans over yanks(but i used to support pmick)..

Last edited by mystiroakey on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:04 pm

I would be a bit of a fair weather golf fan but I would only really support the Irish ones. A few Americans I like, Fowler, Dusti Johnson, Furyk but the Irish guys are the only ones I really like really.

I suppose everyone loves John Daly though!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:05 pm

GBP. Surely everyone who stands against Finchem is alright?

Not sure how playing in the Nordea Open leads you to dislike him.

I've got some random reasons for disliking people, but that's a bit weak.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Cabrerra is a legend. A very refreshing player. He just grips it and rips it- so much raw talent going on, and without a care in the world. I cant not admire him.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Thomond wrote:I would be a bit of a fair weather golf fan but I would only really support the Irish ones. A few Americans I like, Fowler, Dusti Johnson, Furyk but the Irish guys are the only ones I really like really.

I suppose everyone loves John Daly though!

arrr you say that and I love him- but he doesnt have much love on here pal- I have had that debate a plenty!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 pm

None under-par yet!

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Ok Dig, dont know why u dont like him though. Seems like a canister of laughs.

Ps I like Cabrera but apart from the 2 Majors he hasnt done much?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Re Cabrera: Nine Major top tens suggest he's contended more often than we remember.
Add on forty-odd wins worldwide including the BMW PGA at Wentworth and he's got quite the CV. Blighted by illness and injury since his Masters win.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:18 pm

i saw him win at wenty- and i was filming his swing- the stewards had a pop at me(because i wasnt press) and cabrerra told them to leave me alone!!

guy is a legend!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Werent most of el pato's wins on the argentina tour?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Would be delighted if Westy pulls it off.
Change at 16 means there are some potential good scores out there.

Wouldn't mind G Mac or Furyk winning either.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:30 pm

incontinentia wrote:Werent most of el pato's wins on the argentina tour?

well yeah he has only one 3 other european tour events i think.. so from that point of view he hasnt done much else(in terms of winning)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Super Realist:

Ask yourself what you do not like about Tim Finchem.

I don't know what your reasons are but most of the ones that I have heard are not Tim Finchem's fault, it is the PGAT fault. Tim Finchem is not a CEO, he is not THE BOSS. he answers to the Players Advisory Council and gets his direction from them. Tim Finchem also answers to the Sponsors, and the PGAT partners. What is good for the PGATour is not necessarily good for the EuroT and a potential World Tour.

Whats good for the Euros is not necessarily good for the PGAT.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Of course Finchem's THE BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a mighty effective one too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:41 pm

The PAC is the Boss and Finchem gets his direction from them.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Finchem tells the PAC what to agree to tell him to do, the current brouhaha over the abandonment of Q-School being the first example for a long time where the PAC has pushed back somewhat at Finchem. Probably because it's the self-interest of their constituency that's at stake.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:50 pm

3 x birdies for Molinari after starting out with a double.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:52 pm

erm a few birds out there then

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:56 pm

We should take the Finchem discussion to another thread but let me say that Money was talking with the Q-school change. Sponsors money. The PAC knows who butters their bread. It is not Finchem, it is the sponsors. Finchem is the liaison between the sponsors and the PAC and the PAC is the liaison between Finchem and the Players.

What do you think would happen if Finchem decided that he wanted to make public fines and suspensions? Do you think that would happen?

what is Finchem decided that only the top 100 instead of the top 125 got their tour card next year?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Funny moment with Poulter there! (for sky viewers)
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:3 x birdies for Molinari after starting out with a double.

There's only one Molinari...

Well, only one at this tournament anyway.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Today's pins...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B28-0Wqx5A38WVlGUnc4Uzh2WkE/edit?pli=1

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Joe Ogilvie, possible future PGAT Commissioner, played in the first group today.

He just tweeted this nugget:

Back nine greens were much firmer and 1-2 feet faster on the stimp.18 pin position might lead to the most tragic finish in championship golf

Edit: and this one:

I fear that Mike Davis will go from the golden boy to a complete disaster with the back nine set up. Tricked up & could lead to Shinnecock.

Last edited by GPB on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:21 pm

And wouldn't that be ironic (thanks Alanis) after Mike Davis's criticism of Meeks in 1998?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:22 pm

There may be a little confusion on the PAC vs the Policy Board.

The PAC is the 16-member Players Advisory Council that represents the players and appoints 4 player members to the 9-member Policy Board.

It is in fact the Policy Board that makes the final decision on policies such as the Q-school changes. As a matter of course... the PAC appointed members of the Policy Board are the ones that must approve the Q-School change. Even though those 4 player members "could" technically be outvoted... 5-4, that's just not gonna happen. It would be "Armageddon" and the end of Fichem's job...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Interesting point on McDowell as a potential "worst player to win two majors", if he did get it done today both his wins would be US Opens of course. Two of the other contenders for that unwanted title are Janzen and Andy North... both with two major wins, both with two US Open wins. Perhaps backs up the view that there's such a thing as "US Open specialists".

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm

It could be that tricked up courses get the winners they deserve.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:56 pm

All courses and events get the winners they deserve Mac the man with lowest number after 72 holes the best player that week and most deserving of the title.

I've enjoyed this weeks golf seeing players have to really work for it

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:00 pm

My bad. I was using the PAC/Policy Board interchangeably. Robo is correct.

Lee Janzen does have 6 other PGATour wins including a Players Championship. I would hate to classify anyone as the worst player with two majors but it certainly would not be Janzen. Daly and Cabrera resumes are shallower IMO.

Andy North with one other Tour win besides his two US Opens? perhaps

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next