The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Wales actually any stronger with changes????????

+25
boomeranga
Pal Joey
HERSH
BigTrevsbigmac
Lord Sprey
Cymroglan
TycroesOsprey
gavstar
flyhalffactory
slartibartfast
dogtooth
samuraidragon
bedfordwelsh
glamorganalun
Knowsit17
jimmyinthewell68
wales606
munkian
Smirnoffpriest
mrzimmerman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RubyGuby
Higher_Ground
offload
dragonbreath
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are Wales actually any stronger with changes???????? - Page 2 Empty Are Wales actually any stronger with changes????????

Post by dragonbreath Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Some interesting tweaking but are Wales any stronger

Beck is a massive gamble. He has great skills but is VERY VERY prone to ball watching as any Ospreys fan will tell you. All those Aussie dummy runners will just bamboozle him. This is a real trade off. Scotts much stronger defence sacraficed for Becks ability to create. Personally not a trade I would have made, lets hope the fact that Howley is paid for his selection skills means he is right and I am wrong. I will however have my eyes closed every time the Aussies have the opportunity to run a set move close to our line. We couldn't pick McCabe's line last week, Becks inclusion makes a repeat performance more rather than less likely. Very concerned

Smiler I think possibly improves the front row, though Ken must feel a little hard done by

For me if you are going to change the second row then change it as a unit. Bradley didn't really do enough to keep out Ianto (unless he is injured and I missed it) whose form has been excellent

Of all the changes Ryan in for Toby is something that should have probably happened anyway and will improve our go forward and decision making

On balance I think we are marginally stronger as long as Beck doesn't get caught like a Kangaroo in the headlights

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Are Wales actually any stronger with changes???????? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Wales actually any stronger with changes????????

Post by rhonddasmackhead Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

What will constitute as a moral victory for England tomorrow? Does the loss need to be within 20 points?

rhonddasmackhead

Back to top Go down

Are Wales actually any stronger with changes???????? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Wales actually any stronger with changes????????

Post by HERSH Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm

5 is more realistic, but on our day thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rhonddasmackhead Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:13 pm

Amazing what a consolation try can do to peoples hopes.

rhonddasmackhead

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

Enjoy the weekend’s games everyone I'm off for a liquid lunch guinness

Cheers
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm

For what it's worth I think Aus will win. Rolling Eyes
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jun 2012, 1:21 pm

I am very excited to see what this team can do, Beck will hopefully fit in well. I am quite excited about seeing him in the centre with JD2.

Bit more bite to the pack, Brad is obviously there as an extra ball carrier, same as Rees.

Webb on the Bench is a worthy selection and its great to see both Scott Williams and North have pulled through their injuries.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 15 Jun 2012, 1:28 pm

Wales's defence wasn't as sharp as it was in the 6N - and I don't think that is just down to the opposition. I think they were made aware that they weren't going to be allowed to live offside as they did in the 6N - particularly against Ireland - and were unable to deliver a "rush" defence.

Reckon they'll have had time to adjust the defence for this weeks game, and expect it to be sharper.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

Ryan Jones instead of Toby will certainly make you stronger
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:02 pm

From ESPN

Australia - Player to Watch: Will Genia is probably the inform scrum-half in world rugby. He was phenomenal against Wales last weekend and they will have to keep a close eye on him come Saturday if they are to stand a chance of winning.

Australia - Team News:

Australia have kept the faith with the same XV that defeated Wales last weekend in a move that means Kurtley Beale will have to wait to pull on the green and gold of Australia a while longer. Wallabies prop Sekope Kepu was an injury doubt going into the match but he has done enough to prove his fitness and starts at tight-head.

Wales - Player to Watch: Ashley Beck is one of Wales' most promising talents. If given the ball on the front-foot, then Beck has the ability to get across the gain line and offload to the pace men on the flanks.

Wales - Team News:

Wales have made four changes to the side that lost to the Wallabies with Ryan Jones starting at No.8 in place of the injured Toby Faletau. Elsewhere, Alun Wyn Jones replaces lock Luke Charteris, hooker Matthew Rees comes in for Ken Owens and Ashley Beck will make his first start at centre in place of Scott Williams. Charteris and Williams, who needed stitches to a mouth wound midway through the second half on Saturday, both drop down to the bench.

Key Battle: Scott Higginbotham made some good yards last weekend for the Wallabies with Wycliff Palu alongside him. Ryan Jones and Dan Lydiate will have to do their best to contain their rampaging runs to help put their side in the ascendancy.

Trivia: This is the second time Wales have played at the Docklands Stadium in Melbourne with the first being their win over Canada back in the pool stages of the 2003 World Cup.

Stats: Gethin Jenkins will go joint top with Gareth Thomas for Wales appearances against the Wallabies on Saturday. The pair will have both played ten Tests come full-time on Saturday with Shane Williams next in line on eight.

Quote unquote:
"The way he slotted in at No.15 where he has hardly played this year was remarkable. He's a bloke who gives a lot of confidence to those around him as well. There's nothing better for a defensive line than to have that certainty behind them." - Wallabies coach Robbie Deans on Adam Ashley Cooper

"After the first Test Australia are obviously in the ascendancy, but the tour is not over by any means and we have all to play for on Saturday." - Wales' Rob Howley

Prediction: Wales will equal the series with a narrow victory on Saturday

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

From ESPN before the first test :-

Australia must deal with unwanted early pressure for the second time in as many years when Wales roll into Brisbane on Saturday, with the Wallabies' rain-lashed midweek loss to Scotland ensuring that the knives are out for Robbie Deans.

Last season a shadow Australia side lost to a rampant Samoa in their first Test of the campaign before recovering to win the Tri-Nations. This year they will be tested earlier, with Wales carrying Grand Slam form into a series they have dubbed 'must-win'.

The Tests are not without pressure for the visitors, who have faltered in recent years when trying to kick on from a Six Nations clean-sweep. The fact that Scotland - wooden spoon 'winners' - have kicked off the summer with a prized overseas scalp will add to their list of worries. With coach Warren Gatland out of action due to a heel injury this will be something of a step into the unknown - but one that could spell a new era for Welsh rugby, and disaster for the current Wallabies boss.

Australia - Player to Watch: The pressure is on Berrick Barnes to get the backline firing after they drew a blank against Scotland midweek. With Quade Cooper regaining his fitness, Barnes will have to impress against Wales.

Australia - Team News: Adam Ashley-Cooper starts at fullback for Australia with Cooper Vuna handed a debut on the wing alongside Digby Ioane. Pat McCabe and Rob Horne are in the centres with Berrick Barnes and Will Genia at half-back. Benn Robinson gets the nod at loose-head with Tatafu Polata-Nau and Sekope Kepu alongside him. Rob Simmons is in the second-row with Nathan Sharpe alongside him. The back-row is formed by Scott Higginbotham, David Pocock and Wycliff Palu.

Wales - Player to Watch: After some well-publicised fitness troubles, Wales skipper Sam Warburton will suit up in Brisbane. The Cardiff Blues flanker hasn't played for 11 weeks - since collecting the Six Nations trophy - and will go straight in at the deep end against David Pocock, one of the best in the business.

Wales - Team News: Leigh Halfpenny starts at fullback with Alex Cuthbert and George North on the wings. Jonathan Davies and Scott Williams are in the centres with Rhys Priestland and Mike Phillips at half-back. Gethin Jenkins, Ken Owens and Adam Jones form the front-row with Bradley Davies and Luke Charteris partnered in the second-row. Dan Lydiate, skipper Warburton and Toby Faletau are in the back-row.

Key Battle: Warburton v Pocock is now one of world rugby's heavyweight encounters. The breakdown will be a vital component of the game, particularly as both teams will want to use the ball quickly. The Wallabies will have to be on their mettle against a Wales loose trio that has grown in stature over the last 12 months.

Trivia: Wales will tackle the Wallabies for the first time since losing their main weapons in the fixture. Shane Williams and Stephen Jones - top try-scorer and points-scorer respectively - are no longer part of the international scene.

Stats: Brisbane is not a happy hunting ground for the tourists. They've lost all four of their previous visits, by a total of 129 points.

Quote unquote:

"It's not worth the risk and it would be negligent, it could compromise him and possibly the team". - Australia coach Robbie Deans rules out a recall for mercurial playmaker Quade Cooper.

"Now I've had a bit of a rest my body is crying out to play again - I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, so the sooner I get back the better." - Wales skipper Sam Warburton dismisses fears over his match-fitness.

Prediction: Wales will continue to pile misery on Robbie Deans and find some solace after their defeat during the World Cup with a narrow win over Australia.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:10 pm

WILL GENIA is the Wallabies' official barometer. Same with the Queensland Reds. How he performs is a guide to whether there are bright skies or storm clouds hovering over both camps. If Genia is at the top of his game, the Wallabies and Reds are winning. If Genia is off colour, more often than not so too are the national and provincial team.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/welsh-will-focus-on-how-to-keep-this-genia-firmly-in-his-bottle-20120615-20f8n.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:54 am

maestegmafia wrote:WILL GENIA is the Wallabies' official barometer. Same with the Queensland Reds. How he performs is a guide to whether there are bright skies or storm clouds hovering over both camps. If Genia is at the top of his game, the Wallabies and Reds are winning. If Genia is off colour, more often than not so too are the national and provincial team.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/welsh-will-focus-on-how-to-keep-this-genia-firmly-in-his-bottle-20120615-20f8n.html

I agree with you Maesteg! ( doesn't happen very often!) & he is one of Australia's special talents. But doesn't this contradict what you said before about the top 4/5 international sides can lose 4 players and it would have little or no effect.

Genia is up there with Oconnor, Quade Cooper & Beale as really special talents that undoubtedly affect their national side. Ie they are irreplaceable?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2