The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose?

+10
User 774433
michael_o
lydian
Haddie-nuff
invisiblecoolers
Danny_1982
Jahu
hawkeye
laverfan
socal1976
14 posters

Go down

Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose? Empty Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose?

Post by socal1976 Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:41 pm

Of course none of us really knows the of court personality of these players. But we tend to identify with players for a variety of reasons, their nationality, their style, their demeanor, engaging comments, or good looks. And tennis is sport driven by individuality and personality as much or more so then any other. So which player if you had a chance to would you like to have a drink with and a chat? And if you got a shot which one would you just like to punch in the nose? I mean of course no threats of real violence here lets assume they will suffer no great bodily harm and that we are all too sane to ever do anything like that. Now lets do this list two ways. Both players from the past and present. So you will give 4 players. 2 old timers and 2 new guys. Also not just give the names but why you would like to talk with them and what exactly would you ask or speak with them about first that is what I am really interested in?

Today:

Have a drink with? Djokovic, not suprisingly a very fun loving type of guy who seems down to earth. The cheerful sort of guy you wouldn't mind share a pint with. Well what I would ask him about is the true state of his and Roger's non-friendship.

Punch in the nose? Raddick Stepanek. I just don't like his goofy face. And I don't like his silly antics and clown routine either.

From the Past:

Jimmy Connors: I mean Jimmy seems to be the most private of the past legends. With Mac who is also very engaging we get a lot of insight into the way he thinks because he commentates matches. But with Connors nobody really knew what made this guy tick? I would ask him if he really hated his opponents and if he found that some of those feelings still lingered.

Punch in the nose: Brad freaking Gilbert. Good coach, one of my least favorite players of all time at least he was honest and called it winning ugly. But he just doesn't shut up. I would like to get him to stop running his mouth for at least 15 seconds.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose? Empty Re: Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose?

Post by laverfan Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:03 pm

Have a drink with? Pancho Gonzalez or Bill Tilden.

Punch in the face/nose? No one.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose? Empty Re: Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose?

Post by socal1976 Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm

You are too nice ok Laverfan, how about voice your displeasure without a smile on your face. What would you talk to them about and ask them, that is what really interests me?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm

Drink? Ille Nastase. I bet he would have some brilliant stories to tell and I think he would be a laugh and also I am sure he would settle the bar bill.

Punch? Probably Rusedski. Just to wipe that stupid grin off his face!

Socal I am amazed you didn't want to punch Fognini! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 15 Jun 2012, 11:04 pm

Have a drink with? Novak. As long as he doesn't bring his parents... Federer would probably be on baby watch and want to leave early and Nadal would probably want to go to one of those football pubs and watch football. Zzzzz.

Why would I want to punch anyone in or on the nose?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 15 Jun 2012, 11:22 pm

Have a drink: Kournikova & Sharapova in the back seat of a Limo

Punch: Djoko, then till him to drive the Limo slowly.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 15 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm

Drink: Kirilenko, my god she is stunning.

Punch: John Lloyd. "that's just scary tennis". Oh shut up Lloyd!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:34 am

All right all you single men enough with the eastern european bombshells I am talking ATP tour and I am talking platonic. Why Rusedski Legend that is an interesting he was never a favorite of mine but I'd like to know the reason?

Hawkeye what would you ask Djoko or talk about? I am more interested in the topic of conversation.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:03 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Drink? Ille Nastase. I bet he would have some brilliant stories to tell and I think he would be a laugh and also I am sure he would settle the bar bill.

Punch? Probably Rusedski. Just to wipe that stupid grin off his face!

Socal I am amazed you didn't want to punch Fognini! Whistle

LK Socal would punch him a day b4 2013 FO QF clash btw Djoko and Fog laughing and hence Fog will give a walkover to Djoko for semi's. thumbsup

Dinner with Fed/ Jim Courier

Punches : No one, coz I see any star is a worthwhile to have dinner with.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Jun 2012, 7:41 am

Have a drink with Andre Agassi.. (came close I did stand outside his Aacademy in LV at Christmas) now annoyed I didnt actually go in, Love to talk about his incredible childhood.

Not sure I would punch but would not want to talk to Pat Cash the twonk

Id go out to dinner with Bjorn if he asked censored

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 16 Jun 2012, 9:24 am

Drink: Goran (a good laugh but interesting too)
Punch: Helfant (for allowing smurf clay)
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 9:33 am

Ok socal, I'll put Kirilenko on the back-burner for now...

Drink: Agassi. Would love to ask him about his love/hate relationship with tennis, his rivalry with Sampras, his struggles and his successes. I imagine he'd be a god laugh and very open too. His book is the best auto-biography I've ever read I reckon. Plus, he's the reason I love tennis as much as I do.

But can Kirilenko come as well? Who would you like to have a drink with, who would you like to punch in the nose? 3602195817

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:58 am

Drink.....Djokovic, funny guy, sure to keep you entertained.

Punch....Andrew Castle, the smarmy git. Why in god's name do the BBC employ him??

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:06 am

Drink (non-alcoholic): Baltacha.
Punch: Whoever employed Draper.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 5:54 pm

@ Legend, Foggy is not my favorite but people actually think I am much more wound up on that match and that incident than I actually am. Part of that is my fault because I do like to play to the crowds and occassionally goad the naive. But Foggy, is kind of a douche but he was injured, it still doesn't change my opinion that the layover did impact Novak's performance and preparation to some extent for the semi. Not that I want to open that can of worms. Stepanek just seems to think he is really funny and cool but is really annoying. And he has a goofy looking nose that almost lights up red and says hit me.

Some excellent choices and Danny in the privacy of your own head you can bring whoever you like for your drink, but for the purposes of discussion I am really interested in what people would talk about or ask if they had the opportunity. Many people seem to be interested in Andre well no question he was special player and also played for so long. Plus his autobiography was one of the best sports bio I have read, usually those things are really dull.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

socal1976 wrote:You are too nice ok Laverfan, how about voice your displeasure without a smile on your face. What would you talk to them about and ask them, that is what really interests me?

Pancho - His passion for Tennis, his incredible athleticism.

Tilden - What made him choose Tennis.

Punch - Hingis - what was she thinking consuming banned substances? Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:

Hawkeye what would you ask Djoko or talk about? I am more interested in the topic of conversation.

I have to admit when you asked who would you "have a drink with" I was thinking who would be the most fun on a night out... If it was conversation and hearing a few interesting stories maybe afternoon tea (somewhere posh) would be more conducive? Retired players may have a few more stories and they would have to be articulate, funny and maybe a little contraversial. I would choose Virginia Wade and Peter Flemming. If I could choose a journalist as well it would be Neil Harman as I'm sure he would have lots of inside information. Afterwoods if we all got on well we could all join Djokovic for a "drink".

I would report back to 606v2 with all the gossip... In fact socal why don't you come as well? We would have a great time...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 6:38 am

Hawkeye, I would love to make it a date, I mean it doesn't have to be in depth I mean you get a shot at talking about something over the course of a short time. Maybe a happy hour drink, Novak I think would definetly be a fun guy at club or bar. You could see him doing something funny to grab the attention.

So what would you do with Nole on your night out on the town? Dancing or a bar?

Hawkeye too bad I am in southern cali and far away so we wouldn't just have to talk about mutual boozing we could actually do it. Don't worry Hawkeye, lol, I have no resemblance whats over to Andy murray so you would not be inflamed if we met.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:27 am

This is getting from erotic to sexual, and questions in details. What are next questions? What one wares on a date, what style of hair? Would you sit on his lap?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

Jahu wrote:This is getting from erotic to sexual, and questions in details. What are next questions? What one wares on a date, what style of hair? Would you sit on his lap?

Maybe in your disturbed mind that is not what I meant. I am the one trying to get this thing on the platonic basis you are the one who wants to cruise in limo with two 6ft blondes not that anything is wrong with that and you are challenging the purity of my intentions?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

But I was direct with cruising in Limo with blondes. You are beating around the bush with HE what would she do etc, so if some one is disturbed that's you, going down slowly with deeper questions, probably while you watch Fed's poster on your wall picard

So from who with you would drink, you have come to what would you do.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:04 pm

Jahu wrote:
So from who with you would drink, you have come to what would you do.
Who*

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Run

Anyway as for the article, I would love to meet Nadal, seems like a great chap.

Who would I punch? Hmm, probably Yannick Noah.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

Maybe this article could be turned on its head:

Which 606v2 poster would you like most to have a drink with.
Which 606v2 poster would you like to punch on the nose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

drumroll
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Maybe this article could be turned on its head:

Which 606v2 poster would you like most to have a drink with.
Which 606v2 poster would you like to punch on the nose.

Drink: I would have loved to have met Raiders, just to see if he was as angry and confrontational in real life.
Punch: Nobody. I don't hit women. Wink Perhaps this should change to something other than punch, as some of the more annoying posters won't get mentioned for the reason I hinted at above.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 17 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

You guys alcoholics?

Hope you are drinking milk or coke!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Today : I'm struggling somewhat. Nobody that stands out really.

Perhaps Nadal, because he seems pretty relaxed off court and has shown good humour in some post-match press conferences (eg. USO 2011), allied to a self-deprecating manner when struggling a little in English ; and maybe Djoker, so I could ask him to do a few player impersonations right in front of me .....

From the past : Borg - well, just because he's Borg. Just HOW did you keep so ultra cool in times of apparent stress Erm Erm We sure won't see his like again.

And Ilie Nastase (maybe not both at the same time !!). Any top player who can walk up to a uniformed copper in the heat of a Wimbledon match, asking him deadpan to arrest a linesman because "that man is very dangerous for me" has got to be great value for a night out.

And maybe Chris Evert (as was). Although I somehow doubt I'd see her in quite the same light as in her playing days ........

Punch on the nose ....?

Well if someone I had never previously met, or knew personally, or to whom I had done no personal harm suddenly walked up and punched me on the nose I reckon I'd label him a total and utter moron. So I wouldn't want such a tag for myself.

But as regards 'voicing displeasure' : Oh Sue Barker you were a fine player but you bring so very, very little (in fact absolutely zilch to be honest) to the game as a presenter.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Sun 17 Jun 2012, 4:53 pm

I'd like to have a quick drink with Nalbandian.

As long as I remember not to get too drunk and ask him how he got disqualified earlier today. Otherwise he'd be the one punching me on the nose assuming he hadn't already kicked my chair legs from under me...

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 17 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

In Argentina kicking wood at you is a sign of endearment. Political correctness gone mad!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 5:54 pm

Yes good post lags, I think Nastase would be an interesting character a bit of an eccentric. Nore staat has an interesting suggestion which 606v2 poster would you like to have a drink with or punch in the nose? I don't know if we want to make it that personal I am sure I would get more than my fair share of nose punches. Lol.

Interesting not to many people picking Roger or Andy for disucssions, mainly reverting to their heros from childhood.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:59 pm

Drink with:

Platonic perhaps Safin. Unlike most of the others he'd know what to do when confronted with a drink, and he mignt invite some nice friends along.

Non-platonic, Myskina or Hingis. Not the WTA's greatest beauties, but very interesting - in fact a platonic drink with Hingis would be a blast too I'm sure.

Punch in the nose - nobody in particular. I used not to like Connors whose on-court behaviour I found disgraceful, and I never liked Sampras, but I don't feel that worked up about them. On the WTA side I can't bear all the noise-makers, but again not worth a punch.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

Barry, Safin is a good one I always found any interview of safin to be fun to watch. Whether it was him complaining about the prices of crappy spaghetti at wimbeldon or his other humorous one liners. Plus you are right nothing wrong with haning around marat in the hopes of picking up some of the ones he can't get to. But I like the pick of Safin would certainly like to talk or have a drink with him. In fact would love to see if i could drink him under the table vodka shots straight with a lemon or lime after.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down