The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Third tests : home nations

+13
Equo Troiano
Biltong
Pal Joey
EWT Spoons
RuggerRadge2611
Manky-Flanker
flyhalffactory
mckay1402
RubyGuby
LondonTiger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
FerN
Portnoy
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Third tests : home nations - Page 2 Empty Third tests : home nations

Post by Portnoy Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 10:27

First topic message reminder :

There is tendency (it seems to me) that sides in three-test series and two-nil down have a better chance to win the final game.

Whether that's because the leading side take their foot off the pedal as the series is won or take the opportunity to experiment with different players etc.
Or the losing teams get more accustomed to the conditions and just improve, or through sheer grit and determination refuse to be whitewashed or whatever...

But to get a third victory will - must - be considered as a minimum for all sides:

England : The loss of Youngs and Robshaw must be considered as devastating loss and even at sea-level, I'd guess that a first test win on tour is highly unlikely. SA by fifteen.

Ireland : The fantastic performance against the ABs last week-end must be considered squandering of a great opportunity. That was to my mind their best opportunity to get so close (on the day) but the ABs will, I think, have been shocked by the closeness of the game and will put it as first priority to (in their minds) restore the dignity of World Champions. ABs by 35.

Scotland. Not a three-match series as such but they have to beat Samoa to take any impetus into next season. Scotland should win - but will there be any style and panache? I doubt it. Scotland by 10.

Wales. As the best team in the NH against a juddering OZ, Wales will be kicking themselves for not winning last week, but I fancy them to do themselves proud this week. Wales by 12.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Third tests : home nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Third tests : home nations

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:02

Portnoy wrote:
KickAndChase wrote:But I do urge you, Portnoy, to actually watch some Scotland matches as a genuine neutral or even supporter before passing such generalised comment. I don't do it for your team.

I do watch as many Scottish games as I can - always as a neutral except when they are playing England. The excessive defensiveness of some Scottish posters have entirely twisted the OP into a diatribe. Essentially I have not attacked Scotland in any way. Indeed they are only implicitly involved in the discussion as they are not playing on a three-match tour of a SH nation.

Then perhaps your naked, desperate WUM about the team was poorly conceived for the purposes of this thread? Third tests : home nations - Page 2 429063825

Don't get me wrong, I find your self-heckling very amusing.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:11

Linebreaker wrote:Don't know why I keep saying "we" though.... Run
You say it LB because 'we' live through every moment of every game no matter how brilliant or painful!

Just on the Scotland Oz game, rugby is as much about playing the conditions / ref as they are about playing the opposition. Scotland beat us fair and square.... that's it.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:25

True FC but I've always had difficulty with the "we beat you!" remarks.
A figure of speech only I know. Smile

Nice summary on the Scotland loss there too, btw. None of this pages and pages of detailed discussion and analysis. It hurt and 'we' all knew what 'they' had to do next match.

Sometimes it's best to say less. Be short and succinct. An Aussie trait perhaps? We don't like wasting bytes or clogging up cyberspace obviously! Whistle

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:40

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:Maybe Scotland should play in the 4 Nations instead of the 6N, after all, they can at least beat one of the 4N sides?

picard

Apologies for the face palm icon but it's the best I could do without resorting to personal insults.

What a moronic thing to say though.

Oh come now, surely you see that its Scotland's best hope of a win?

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:42

Why are numpties like this tollerated on this site?

When this site wa new there was a good debate but now more and more it's slipping back to the old ways of 606. I don't mind WUMing if it's funny or wity but this sort of stuff is done purely to antagonize.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:44

Linebreaker wrote:Sometimes it's best to say less. Be short and succinct. An Aussie trait perhaps? We don't like wasting bytes or clogging up cyberspace obviously! Whistle
Laugh
Like why pronounce something properly when you can reduce it to a syllable and a half? That's just wasted effort.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:44

Because it is kind of funny and we do tolerate them. You get these types in pubs too Wink I've decided to not reply to Portnoy now though; got a bit dull.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:44

Exact. Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 16:29

I would point out that Scotland does play with style and panache about half the time - see recent games against Wales and Ireland as examples - mistake ridden maybe, but certainly entertaining

The times when we do not is when we play against negative dull arm wrestle type teams - Italy, Argentina and England - as we are not good enough to counter it

It all depends on the opposition

Cue - thunder - exit stange right Run

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2