The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

+10
The Special Juan
davidl1061
Hibbz
Leff
JamesLincs
azania
mystiroakey
GSC
Crimey
Duty281
14 posters

Go down

Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

Czech Republic v Portugal (Thursday 21st June, 19:45 KO, BBC 1)

So despite taking a 4-1 bashing b the Russians in their first game, the Czechs recovered well to top Group A by beating Greece and Poland. Portugal also had to recover from an opening defeat when they lost 1-0 to the Germans, they then beat Denmark 3-2 and edged out Holland 2-1 thanks to some brilliant play by a certain Cristiano Ronaldo. The winners of this tie will play France/Spain.

My prediction: Czech Republic 1-2 Portugal

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Re: Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Crimey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:06 pm

I don't think there is enough quality in the Czech Republic squad to beat Portugal at all, they were very lucky to get through. I think most of the Portugal side would get into the Czech side and Portugal seemed to grow in confidence over the three games and Ronaldo looked very good against Holland and I can see him continuing that form.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Re: Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Biggest game of the Euros.

3-0 Portugal, Czech really aren't any good, and Portugal look to have found some momentum.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

Whoever wins this game is probs going down the QF though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm

portugal 1-0

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:59 pm

I have the Czech Rep as my dark horses and I reckon they'll beat Portugal in what will be the most exciting game of the tourny so far. Probably extra time win for C.R

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

I've really enjoyed watching Portugal this tournament, they've seem to of found something and have great team spirit. Ronaldo returning to form is timely and they should be firm favourites for this game using their counter attacking plays. Russia completely destroyed the Czechs using this style in their 4-1 opener.

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

czechs 1-2 portugal

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu 21 Jun 2012, 11:54 am

Pepe, Alves and Coentrao form a solid defence for Portugal. Of course, Ronaldo in front. My only reservation regarding Portugal is that they have generally performed below expectations on the big stage. Still, I fancy them to beat the Czechs.

Portugal 2-0 Czech

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

An intriguing game for sure. I'm worried it might be very cagey as games in the knock-out stages often are. Not sure who I'd rather win so I've had a punt on the Czech Rep to reach the semis. I've a feeling Portugal are a bit of a one man team. If Ronaldo plays well it may be enough to see them through but if the Czech's can snuff him out it may be their night.

Does anyone else get a sense of disappointment now that we've reached the knock-out stages? However great the matches may or may not be we're already 3/4 of the way through the tournament and once it's all over we're back to the soap operas and the washing up.

Even the third group games were a let down after the two matches a day action.

Still it will give my liver chance to recover.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

people may be surprised that portugal have had the least possesion so far in this tourny..

personally i am not - they play a longish ball game- defend well and have attacking threat- i like the way there play and its actually very similar to england.

they have scored a goal for every 15 mins of possesion(england second in that stat with every 17mins)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

by the way italy and england have had the same amount of possesion time to the minute..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:22 pm

I think that Portugal will win but not by a large magin. Portugal remind me of Spain a few years ago, have the potential but always fail on the big stage. They will go through tonight and get beaten in the next round.
The possession stat is quite surprising but any team that relies so heavily on one player will suffer in the long run if they have no plan b

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:34 pm

mystiroakey wrote:by the way italy and england have had the same amount of possesion time to the minute..

Obviously the Italy's stats are warped by playing Spain who get a ridiculously high possession.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

Geezers, there is a separate thread to discuss England. It's exactly this sort of thing that makes me happier when they're out. The European Championships do not revolve around England.

Thanks.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

But also had ireland at the same time!!

remeber that france are the only team close to spains possesion stats, who were in englands group, so although i agree with you its not like comparing one game with england playing sweden and italy playing spain.

Spoiler:

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:39 pm

Hibbz wrote:Geezers, there is a separate thread to discuss England. It's exactly this sort of thing that makes me happier when they're out. The European Championships do not revolve around England.

Thanks.

drop me out will ya- we are comparing teams- i havent heard you complain about us discussing other teams on england threads!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:45 pm

anyone abit fearfull for portugal if ronaldo doenst turn up?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:51 pm

Hibbz wrote:Geezers, there is a separate thread to discuss England. It's exactly this sort of thing that makes me happier when they're out. The European Championships do not revolve around England.

Thanks.

Surprisingly enough, it's likely to happen on a board that is populated mainly by English people that England will be talked about on a disproportionate level.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:52 pm

No I dislike Portugal and will enjoy them going out eventually. I don't like the Czech's either so I don't want anyone to win tonight.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:54 pm

Portugal my no.2 team..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:55 pm

They play to there strengths and i wish em well. Proper team and great country

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

great play by ronaldo- his strength went against him though- shouldnt have been a free kick- but czech saves anyway

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

Portugal should be so much better than they are.

Czechs looking good in attack. I will be very surprised if Selassie isn't snapped up in the summer.

It's a shame Baros just doesn't have the quality.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 8:31 pm

ronaldo is playijng awesome- so UL,

he thinks he is paul gascoigne- thats how good he is Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread 2055835545

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 21 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

great bit of play by ronaldo

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Thu 21 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

It's a shame that lad Ronaldo can't finish, decent prospect mind.... Wink

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

The longer this stays at 0-0 the more I fancy the Czechs to beat Ronaldo.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

in fairness the most dominated game bar spain v ireland..(oh and russia v czechs)

well done ronaldo- v deserved

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

Ha their coach looks liek Franck Ribery (a bit).

Who do Portugal play next?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:25 pm

spain or france..

so france

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:25 pm

Yep, it's been like The Alamo, especially the 2nd half.

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:28 pm

portugal play proper football- maybe a brazil of old lite- but proper- they go forward , this is football from my pov- not the spainish style

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

btw - howard webb- best ref by far Czech Republic v Portugal, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:31 pm

What have the Czech's really done all game? They've been lethargic and been played off the park. Remember when Milan Baros was good? No, neither do I.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:31 pm

Johnathan Pearce - very poor commentator.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm

I liked him on Robot Wars.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm

Portugal deserved that win, the Czechs were poor. Can't see Portugal beating France or Spain though so this may be the end of the road for them.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:50 pm

I watched the second half. Glad I could. Excellent football. Lovely goal by Ronaldo.

I see Ronaldo has a long neck, and it seems as though he can stretch it twice as long or perhaps he has 12 cervical vertebrae. Here, he was like a racing horse sticking its neck forward at the finish line. Very Happy

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Convincing victory by Portugal - could easily have won by several more.

Jonathan Pearce sometimes commentates as if he was on the radio....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 22 Jun 2012, 1:32 am

We have Michael Ballock on ESPN in the US. He is the great grandson of Sigmund Freud. He says a word every 50 minutes. Smile

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:35 am

Portugal look like a pretty good side, but seem to have a problem in front of goal - 20 attempts today but only the one goal (and CR hitting the post twice, the first time with what would have been the goal of the tournament so far). The sub centre-forward should have had two but missed the target both times with relatively easy headers.

Positives:
Ronaldo is the most dangerous individual player in the tournament
Alves and Pepe in central defence look very solid.
Moutinho is a quality midfielder
The fullbacks both look good
They play a counter-attacking system that is creating lots of chances for them

Negatives:
Central midfield looks to be an area of weakness other than Moutinho
I'm still not convinced that Nani is a particularly good footballer - decent dribbler but his passing and crossing isn't anywhere near th same standard
Keeper isn' the best.
As already highlighted, their finishing to date has been wasteful

Probably Spain next up, which should be interesting.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:41 am

I think the main problem with the central midfield is that all the players are fairly similar, Meireles, Moutinho and Veloso are all players who are creative and try and get the ball out to the rings, decent passing range and can shoot from range. There is no anchor in midfield and I can see Spain just bypassing them completely because Nani and Ronaldo are unlikely to help out.

If I was the Portugese manager, I would be tempted to sacrifice the striker, now that Postiga is injured, and add another midfielder, that defensive midfielder they put on last night and just have Ronaldo up top on his own, that way the midfield might at least be able to put a fight.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down