The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

+16
monty junior
lorus59
Jennifer1984
bretmeharty
EnglishReign
The Special Juan
Crimey
Leff
Postie
whocares
dancingweeman
JamesLincs
azania
GSC
mystiroakey
Duty281
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

Spain v France (Saturday 23rd June, 19:45 KO, ITV 1)

The holders Spain topped Group C with 7 points with two victories over Croatia and Ireland and a draw against Italy. Once again, Spain have kept a tight defence and have conceded the lowest amount of goals in the tournament so far and have also scored the most. Their reward is a game against the French who have been quite inconsistent - a decent display against England saw them get a 1-1 draw, they then stepped it up for Ukraine and beat them 2-0 before being brought down to earth by losing 2-0 to Sweden. For the neutral, this is probably the best tie of the round. Winners will play Czech Republic/Portugal.

My prediction: Spain 1-1 France AET (France to win on pens)

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Re: Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:04 pm

1-1 as well- spain in pens

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Re: Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

Spain 2-0 France

Spain are basically a superior version of France
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm

2-1 France. Spain will have 60+% possession but lack a killer punch. Tika taka football without an end product. The reason why they have conceded the fewest goals is because of their possession. But its no good having all that possession in midfield.

France have more attacking options and can play bettwe on the break. With Benzema and Nasri, they have the ability to score from more areas.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:29 pm

1-0 spain

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:28 am

azania wrote:2-1 France. Spain will have 60+% possession but lack a killer punch. Tika taka football without an end product. The reason why they have conceded the fewest goals is because of their possession. But its no good having all that possession in midfield.

France have more attacking options and can play bettwe on the break. With Benzema and Nasri, they have the ability to score from more areas.

I think as well as conceding the fewest, they've also scored the most. I know 4 of them came against Ireland, but still...

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:51 pm

dancingweeman wrote:
azania wrote:2-1 France. Spain will have 60+% possession but lack a killer punch. Tika taka football without an end product. The reason why they have conceded the fewest goals is because of their possession. But its no good having all that possession in midfield.

I think as well as conceding the fewest, they've also scored the most. I know 4 of them came against Ireland, but still...

I agree that currently France is poor man's spain : they try to keep the possesion and play some fancy passing aroudn the midfield but as seen against Sweden they are rubbish when it comes to create proper danger. if anything they would need to play with a real centre-forward as Benzema position is too low as he tries to combine with his midfielders as opppose to keeping the centre backs busy.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Fri 22 Jun 2012, 1:35 am

Can't see past a Spain win.

If France had topped the group and had some momentum then maybes.But they got beat by Sweden fair n square and apparently were bickering after the game ( some players not pulling their weight).

Historically, once their team spirit goes, so do their performances.I'd expect Spain to push on now and win, I'll go for 3-1 Spain.

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:25 pm

Spain has never beaten France in a tournament. That streak is likely to end in a few hours.

France has a dilemma - strengthen defence by exchanging an offensive midfielder with a defender to blunt the domination Spain shows in the midfield, or hope to win by an all-out attack? Nasri's place in the starting line-up is a bit doubtful.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:27 pm

They looked poor against Sweden because they used two defensive midfielders in M'Vila and Alou Diarra. I don't think they should against Spain as it is vital that any time they get on the ball is used, unlike against England, so that means having players that can quickly transition from defence into attack.

I'd play

Benzema
Ribery Nasri Menez
M'Vila Cabaye

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

Apparently the French are at loggerheads with each other again which could be telling.

Spain 2-0 for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:35 pm

Crimey wrote:They looked poor against Sweden because they used two defensive midfielders in M'Vila and Alou Diarra. I don't think they should against Spain as it is vital that any time they get on the ball is used, unlike against England, so that means having players that can quickly transition from defence into attack.

I'd play

Benzema
Ribery Nasri Menez
M'Vila Cabaye

I am with you. Their best chance is when they charge forward quickly. Benzema hit 15 shots at the goal and not one went in. I think his time has come. He looked rather lonely in front, taking shots from not-so-good positions.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

FreekShow wrote:Apparently the French are at loggerheads with each other again which could be telling.

Spain 2-0 for me.

Unlike Germany and Italy, France is an unpredictable team. I am going with Spain 2-1.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:47 pm

Spain have dropped Torres and replaced him with Fabregas.

Casillas

Arbeloa
Ramos
Pique
Alba

Busquets
Alonso
Xavi
Iniesta
Silva
Fabregas

France have made a few changes, Mexes is suspended. Ben Arfa, Diarra and Nasri are all dropped.

Lloris

Reveillere
Rami
Koscielny
Clichy

M'Vila
Cabaye
Malouda

Debuchy
Benzema
Ribery

France going defensive. Can't understand the selection of Malouda who has been awful for about 18 months and offers nothing to the French side, he's a passenger.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:52 pm

with rumurs of infighting once again the french camp i cant see anything other than a spanish win

3-1

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:58 pm

draw today- cant see spain doing enough to score more than 1 goal;. and i can certainly see frnace getting a goal.

1-1

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

Don't understand dropping Diarra. He's been immense.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

LINE-UPSSpain v France (19:45 BST)
Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta. Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Juanfran, Pedro, Torres, Negredo, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.

France: Lloris, Reveillere, Rami, Koscielny, Clichy, M'Vila, Debuchy, Cabaye, Malouda, Ribery, Benzema. Subs: Mandanda, Evra, Valbuena, Giroud, Nasri, Matuidi, Menez, Diarra, Martin, Ben Arfa, Carrasso.

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

Sticking with my 1-1.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

Never been more certain of a 2-1. To the Spanish, I think.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:25 pm

But they're playing 4-6-0 again, so can only see Spain scoring 1. At least France have a striker.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:27 pm

France win here. Spain playing without a recognised striker is a massive mistake.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:39 pm

Due an upset in this tourny havent had one yet,

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:39 pm

assuming torres would start ive gone with either torres or and silva scoring in either a 2-0.3-0 or 3-1 win for spain

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

Got 100 on france through by any means 2-1

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

bretmeharty wrote:Due an upset in this tourny havent had one yet,

Denmark beating Netherlands was pretty big.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:43 pm

sweden beating france, denmark beating holland and greece beating russia have imo, been upsets

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:44 pm

True ill give you that Hug

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:52 pm

And that disgusting dive which could have reduced France to 10 men and put Spain a goal up has merely strengthened my resolve to say...Come on France! Same old Spaniards, always cheating.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:54 pm

honestly not sure how people can find spain's passing boring

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

Where was the French defence? Xabi Alonso had time to do his shopping before finishing that one!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

JamesLincs wrote:honestly not sure how people can find spain's passing boring

There's no excitement. I can appreciate the quality it's just not exciting at all.

I think France have come in to this tournament incredibly overrated.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

Iniesta - Alba - Xabi Alonso finishing. How beautiful was that!

How could Alba be so precise aiming to Alonso's head! clap

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

Am I right that Spain is playing without a 'certified' forward?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

why the heck is this game boring me so much- people call this sexy football.. ffs- its dry.

come on france get the 1-1

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

Beautiful save by Casillas. clap

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

i could fall asleep watching this..............................some one open my eyes Shocked

does anyone find this game good entertainment?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

spain drive me fking mad.

picture the seen- 8 passes and they go kind of forward they have a full midfield and a winger picks up the ball at the edge of the pen box, rather than everyone getting goal bound and the team trying to get a decent cross in or even a more intricite through ball they decide to all go back inside there own half and start the move again!!!!!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

I do. I find this very entertaining. I love watching beautiful passes.

As for the header goal, I thought it was even better than Ronaldo's in his last. My wife is loving this too.

Lunch time for us.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:36 pm

Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap. I nearly fell asleep towards the end of the 1st half. Come on France, I don't want a boring semi-final.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:36 pm

The best headed goal of the tournament, and there's been 20 of them (!), was Andy Carroll's I think. Followed by Ronaldo's.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

i will admit though spain have schooled france abit- but i hoenstly think by only trying to keep possesion since the goal is gonna bite them back. 1-0 isnt enough v france.

i have this feeling the bestest,wetest dream for a spainish manager/fan or player would go like this.

spains opponents kick off- straight away get tackled by spain. spain then pass it about for the rest of the half and then score a gaol in the last second of the half after 1000 passes. second half they kick off and just keep the ball the whole time!! lol that would be impressive mind..haha

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:46 pm

Spain are just strolling through this game. The French pose no attacking threat.

The Spaniards have got the goal they want and althought they'd like to score another goal (or two) they aren't going to bust a gut to get it if they think they can contain the French attack (whatever that is).

Being Devil's advocate, the Spaniards may well counter accusations of being boring by saying that their fans are certainly enjoying watching their team win, and it's not their job to entertain other countries supporters.

If Spain win 1 - 0 they will be in the semi finals. Job done.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:48 pm

Do you guys realise how hard it is to keep possession like Spain do? It takes a lot of technical skill. How many players do you see receive a ball under pressure, control it and make a pass to a team mate? The reason they do it is because they can.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:48 pm

Do you guys realise how hard it is to keep possession like Spain do? It takes a lot of technical skill. How many players do you see receive a ball under pressure, control it and make a pass to a team mate? The reason they do it is because they can.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:51 pm

lorus59 wrote:Do you guys realise how hard it is to keep possession like Spain do? It takes a lot of technical skill. How many players do you see receive a ball under pressure, control it and make a pass to a team mate? The reason they do it is because they can.

Nobody is criticising the effectiveness or technical quality required to play the way they do, in fact I said the opposite, but you can respect the level of skill involved while still being bored by it. The worst thing is the attitude so many people have that football fans must love the way Spain play. I find it excruciatingly boring, that's not me just trying to go against the grain, I'm just not entertained by hundreds of passes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:52 pm

jen its not really about countering an accusation
Its about winning for the fans-However there is nothing wrong with finding a style boring at all. nothing at all- it is what it is. But there isnt anything to counter- that isnt an argument!

Its just about opinions, however if every game of football was played like this- i wouldnt watch the game- I am being deadly serious on that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:52 pm

Jennifer1984 wrote:Spain are just strolling through this game. The French pose no attacking threat.

The Spaniards have got the goal they want and althought they'd like to score another goal (or two) they aren't going to bust a gut to get it if they think they can contain the French attack (whatever that is).

Being Devil's advocate, the Spaniards may well counter accusations of being boring by saying that their fans are certainly enjoying watching their team win, and it's not their job to entertain other countries supporters.

If Spain win 1 - 0 they will be in the semi finals. Job done.

Are they though? They only brought 2000 fans, that's bad support for the World and European Champions.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:54 pm

Benzema has looked awful all this tournament, seems afraid of getting into the box. For a striker who has scored over 20 goals last year he seems low on confidence, which is very odd.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:55 pm

Spain think it's rugby Whistle

As a neutral fan this whole tournament, I think Spain do bore teams to death but they do what they have to do. Score then keep the ball off their opponents for the rest of the game. They do play a more entertaining game than Barcelona though, just. But Busquets is still a waste of oxygen no matter what team he plays in.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 23 Jun 2012, 9:01 pm

Spain has defended well in this game. Ramos and Pique have made Ribery and Benzema look utterly impotent.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next